Casebook

FlashKnockOut
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

Re:Casebook

[Post New]by FlashKnockOut on Oct 28, 08 4:00 AM
Guess we will have to wait and see what the game devellopers comes up with, then.

Raska
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by Raska on Oct 28, 08 7:51 AM
Hello,

I downloaded the game yesterday (european time) and I had the same problems.
First it gave me a "trojan horse" threat and wouldn't start - So I uninstalled the game and I uninstalled the free virusscanner AGV too. I downloaded NOD32 to see if I hade the same problem with it, since I know that BFG are computer free..

As my game was gone, I downloaded it again ....mmmmffff... and tried it out and now I had that WIC problem. I tried to install WIC but the engine told me that my WIC was a newer version and already installed.

I also have windows XP servicepack 3 and same problems as the most of you, guys..

I hope that the "casebook" makers are going to release a patch very soon so that we can play the game, since it seems to be a great game !

I love it that BF has downloads of adventure games, because here in Belgium I can't get the new Nancy Drew ones and I got them all from BFG

[Post New]by CRAFTYLADY98 on Oct 28, 08 9:46 AM
dearest moderator,

should we "again" delete the game and be ready for the fix?

[Post New]by shirtbutton on Oct 28, 08 9:48 AM
I have downloaded the game and had no problem with it. But i am trying to photograph a joystick but the camera is telling me that it is too far away. Help.

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Oct 28, 08 10:10 AM
i downloaded the game five times!and trojan,and horses and WIC....did they test before sailing?i wonder.....i uninstall avast,i loaded antivir,same problem!and i have downloaded the last version!and paid it!and WIC....the same than most of us!my trojan was an exotic one:name HCZ:was it czech one?i'm on deck for this game since two long days!it's not fun at all,and i hope it will be as good as difficult to install!

[Post New]by CRAFTYLADY98 on Oct 28, 08 10:19 AM
yes, just hate the thought of deleting and redownloading . never had a game take sooo long!!!!

[Post New]by Figgie on Oct 28, 08 8:53 PM
guyww wrote:(copied from other forum)

For the tech savvy amongst us, I found a fix for the WIC problem on another forum (MS XPS team blog). Just delete the following files from c:\windows\system32

WindowsCodecs.dll
WindowsCodecsExt.dll
WMPhoto.dll
PhotoMetadataHandler.dll

Then run the wic_x86_enu.exe

Worked for me as the game wouldn't run on my machine with XP service pack 3. Now working & looks great can't wait to get stuck into it

Will deleting these dll files affect any other programs we might be running or need to run in the future? I always hate deleting dll files when I'm not sure if they may be shared or needed by some other windows programs. Any other information on this? Or will these files be replaced when we run the wic_x86_enu.exe? (sorry, I'm just overly cautious about deleting windows system files)

UPDATE...

IT WORKED!! Only I did not delete the files, but cut & pasted them to a temp folder on another drive to replace later if needed. Yes, the wic_x86_enu.exe backed up the registry, created a restore point, installed and replaced the missing files I removed, and all is working just fine for me after I redownloaded the game again overnight and installed this morning. I played it for at least 30 mins with absolutely no problems. Thanks poster for the fix !!!!

Edited on 10/29/2008 at 5:22:54 AM PST

Re:Casebook/ guyww

[Post New]by CRAFTYLADY98 on Oct 28, 08 8:57 PM
won't that mess up other things on computer if you take all that off?

160meters
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by 160meters on Oct 28, 08 9:01 PM
I've downloaded Casebook twice, thinking it was my system, I've never had a game from Big Fish that would not run.

Kind of disappointed, thought it was an Active X problem, no Windows error messages, just won't run, flash of an hourglas.. Gosh, THAT was fun! LOL

[Post New]by brianlab on Oct 28, 08 9:04 PM
The tip about deleting the 4 files and then running the wic_x86_enu.exe works great. I just did it and can now play the game. And yes, the files you delete are replaced when you run the wic program. Thanks for the tip to whoever came up with it.

160meters
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by 160meters on Oct 28, 08 9:07 PM
aha, I *knew* installing SP3 would be a problem <sigh> Sue

[Post New]by sunblazer on Oct 28, 08 9:15 PM
materri1 wrote:I already sent them a error report..... waiting....
Yes i did the same thing i got the same error i sent them a report about an hour a go.... it sounds to me like there is a problem with the game i had no problem with my antivirus comming up or fire wall...

prpldva
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
48,548 Posts

[Post New]by prpldva on Oct 29, 08 6:37 AM
OH no- i hope I dont run into trouble. I have only played a bit of the beginning- wanted to finish Nancy Drew first. So far it's been pretty good.

[Post New]by silkykitty on Oct 29, 08 7:32 AM
1st download my AVG picked up the false virus. 2nd download it got all the way through it and then gave me the "installation failure" message. I did all the fixes that was posted here and even turned off my antivirus before downloading the third time. The download was successful. After all of that...... when I click play...... it opens to the screen to type in my name and won't go any further. No where to click to advance to the next step.

[Post New]by CRAFTYLADY98 on Oct 29, 08 8:53 AM
also did all that bot doesn't run right yet

[Post New]by vick36 on Oct 29, 08 9:24 AM
where didyou find the wic file to reinstall? I can't find it. Please help!

THIS TOTALLY FIXES THE WIC PROBLEM (Fix from GUYWW)

[Post New]by Brenari on Oct 29, 08 10:09 AM
guyww wrote:(copied from other forum)

For the tech savvy amongst us, I found a fix for the WIC problem on another forum (MS XPS team blog). Just delete the following files from c:\windows\system32

WindowsCodecs.dll
WindowsCodecsExt.dll
WMPhoto.dll
PhotoMetadataHandler.dll

Then run the wic_x86_enu.exe

Worked for me as the game wouldn't run on my machine with XP service pack 3. Now working & looks great can't wait to get stuck into it

I tried this fix and it worked like a charm! It was easy and I was playing the game (which is awesome, by the way) immediately! Thanks, guyww!

FloNS
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by FloNS on Oct 29, 08 10:42 AM
I did this fix also, and it worked. I can now open the game and I didn't have to reinstall.

When deleting these files they go directly to Recycle Bin, so they are not lost. I also copied to memory stick just to be safe. I also deleted existing wic_x86_enu.exe and went to

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8e011506-6307-445b-b950-215def45ddd8&displaylang=en

This is the link from BF, and downloaded the wic_x86_enu.exe and the deleted files were reinstalled when the wic_x86_enu.exe was installed.

When Microsoft checks your system it will send you to the proper list. If you only have SP2 it will send you to that list but make sure it is enu.exe. all the others are in different languages I assume.

If you have SP3 it will send you to the wic_x86_enu.exe list.

Good Luck, and I am so happy I don't have to download again, if you still have the game on your system this should work. However, in order to work I think you have to delete your existing wic file or microsoft won't install a new one.

Edited on 10/29/2008 at 10:44:03 AM PST

Pucktweety
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by Pucktweety on Oct 29, 08 10:59 AM
I finally got this game working and to my utter disgust I don't even like it.

-.-

FloNS
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by FloNS on Oct 29, 08 1:09 PM
To tell you the truth, starting off I don't care much for it myself. I thought it was a more advanced game. Now after all the trouble it turns out to be blah.

I started playing the game, once I knew what I was doing it wasn't so bad. However, I now don't have a computer. The game froze and then went black.
I have no video going to my monitor. I am using my old computer. I have to take it to the comp tech tomorrow to see what happened. BTW, this is a new computer and my video card is one of the top cards.

Did the game do it, or the quick fix. We'll soon find out.

Flo

Edited on 10/29/2008 at 5:02:04 PM PST

Go to: