Calzephyr
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Calzephyr on Dec 3, 10 6:17 AM
I'm loving it! I like how some of the challenges aren't puzzled and I enjoy hunting around for pieces to put things together. My husband watches me play and thinks that if we're ever stuck in a play where you need to solve a tile puzzle to get out, I'll have had plenty of practice.

The actors are neat, but what I love the most is how gorgeous the scenes are. Great job MCF peeps!

cass254
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by cass254 on Dec 3, 10 9:05 AM
Poutoule wrote:I've been waiting so long for this game and now I know that people will raise hue and cry against me ! I didn't like it ! I wasn't a bit drawn into the story, disliked interacting with real people. Music was good to start with but quickly got irritating. Very good graphics, hint refills quickly. Never dreamt that my charwoman would ask me to pick up her cleaning ustensils. Didn't sort out the clock business, even with the cleaned windows. Pirate puzzle wasn't too easy but doable. But I just can't get into the story, having to speak with sobbing or straightforward south people. Just finished Phantom of the Opera and this was a good game. No buy for me, I'm so disappointed. May be I'll buy the SE if there's nothing better, but I'm not that sure.

With you on this one.I was really excited to see this one come out but I cannot get into having real people. Found them irritating. First MCF I haven't liked and won't be buying.

jp8synth
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by jp8synth on Dec 3, 10 10:10 AM
In general, whenever I see the name Mystery Case Files attached to a game, I buy it straight away, without even bothering to demo it. MCF are consistently the best quality games, and I have come to expect great things from them. However, 13th Skull was definitely not up to the MCF standards. Don't get me wrong, I thought the graphics were excellent, the live-action was a nice touch, sound effects were great. It is a good game, but there are some definite drawbacks and irritations that I think the designers might want to reconsider including in future games:

1) Please don't try to extend gameplay by sending us on a bunch of errands. I think a few would be OK, but having to run around cooking gumbo, picking up after the dog, finding crayons and cleaning supplies etc. was just a little too much. It seemed like you were trying to make the game longer by adding "filler".

2) New puzzle concepts are what I love about playing the MCF series. This game was chock full of puzzle re-hashes, and I was a little disappointed. I don't mind playing a few recycled puzzles, but there has got to be something new to bring to the table. Additionally, please don't include games where the player must play against a computer program (specifically, the checkers game). It was a tedious, almost un-winnable situation, and I didn't pay $20 for this game, only to end up to playing checkers.

3) Please ditch the "nagging" character voices. I found it to be one of the most irritating, unnecessary things about this game. It was frustrating, repetitive, and supremely annoying. There were a couple of times when I turned the sound off just so I didn't have to listen to the characters yelling at me constantly. It made gameplay a chore.

4) Please do not allow the game to be finished before all of its tasks and puzzles are complete. I finished the game without ever finding out what was frozen in the ice at the gas station, nor did I ever find out what gathering all the insignias was about.

I do love MCF games, but this one was just not up to par with the others. I hope future games will continue the MCF trend of setting the bar for quality. It just didn't happen with 13th Skull.

[Post New]by Madame_Fate on Dec 3, 10 10:11 AM
*Spoiler Alert*

I have a (rather silly) question. How did the wife know exactly what pieces of garbage Pippi left all over the house? I mean she gives us a detailed list, right? Does she keep an inventory of the garbage? Finding things on the many lists is both boring and silly!

Calzephyr
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by Calzephyr on Dec 3, 10 10:21 AM
I guess some players are not much in the way of gamers. The "Fed Ex" quests are a popular staple in a lot of games. The hunt for Momma Aimee's items really tested my memory! Just IMHO.

dogfish12
Stingray
Stingray
4,579 Posts

[Post New]by dogfish12 on Dec 3, 10 11:24 AM
Made my comments in the "worst MCF" thread. For a MCF (which is a very high bar comparison for me) I would give this one a C-.

jdelbove
Minnow
Minnow
266 Posts

[Post New]by jdelbove on Dec 3, 10 12:03 PM
sandyterryb wrote:Absolute buy for me. Took about fourty minutes to get through the trial version and just loved it. So neat interacting with real actors. Hog scenes a bit junky but objects not too difficult to find. Hit the hint button when I wasn`t sure just what to do next and it tells you where to go or what your supposed to be looking for. Thank-you so much BF for another great story line and game.

[Post New]by kittyweese on Dec 3, 10 12:24 PM
Yikes! Just bought it without a demo because I love the MCF games and now am sorry I wasted the money for the Collector's Edition. I am having problems downloading it -- tried three times and still no luck (trying various tricks) -- so haven't played yet, but after reading many of the reviews, not sure I will like it. Loved RtR and Dire Grove, so here's hoping (sigh) it will not be too awful.

Bernetta
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by Bernetta on Dec 3, 10 12:54 PM
I finished the game a couple days ago. I thoroughly enjoyed the game. Personally, I enjoyed talking to the people....it was different.

Had a couple of glitches. My change purse disappeared, so I wasn't able to make the telephone call to Lamont. Also, the keys to the graveyard did work.

It was a fun game.

Edith9
Minnow
Minnow
283 Posts

[Post New]by Edith9 on Dec 3, 10 2:13 PM
In my opinion 13th skull is good game, great graphic (I don´t mind live actors), nice music, interesting puzzless. What I didn´t like was "hand - holding", I like walking around, thinking about what I´ll do next For me this is not best MCF game around, unfortunately developers of MCF have set really high bar for their games and 13th skull is good but not the best. But I´m glad I´d bought it and I really enjoyed playing it.

Edited on 12/03/2010 at 2:14:23 PM PST

[Post New]by georgene8 on Dec 3, 10 2:56 PM
This is definitely the best one! I am really challenged, but not to despair. The cannons took me awhile, but once I got the hang of the code, it was like the icing on the cake. The graphics were great. I felt cold with the rain and sloshing around the water. But then, I nearly froze to death with Dire Grove. The people are believable and they make you feel like you are right there with them. The twist in the plot was great. Even I didn't see that one coming....Even though this is a Collectable, they could still add more stuff to it and make it a Supreme Collectable. More lost treasures could be hidden, more searching in the house and the Carriage House could have been added, especially in the basement of the house. What was behind that statue anyway? Don't get me wrong, it took me almost 7 hours the first time. I'm starting on my 4th game play. I would pay for a Supreme Collectable if they added more to the same game. The potential is endless. Congradulations MCF, you did it again!
The Curb Artist, El Paso, TX

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Dec 3, 10 4:56 PM
Very disappointing.

I love the live actors, graphics and music... the story line is great too, but I'm not crazy about the HOG scenes... just piles of JUNK. Everyone criticizes other game for doing this so I'm shocked that BFG would do it.

I also am not crazy about the sequences of the game play. It's like you can only do one objective at a time. I see crayons all over but can't pick them up.... I bet later you have to look for them. Why can't be do two or three objectives at once?

I still can't find the in=game guide... I hope that hint button isn't the extent of the WT because it isn't helping me one bit. Keeps telling me what I already know I have to look for.

I hope [removed by moderator] has a walkthrough or this game is not going to get finished.

Edited on 12/04/2010 at 8:46:32 AM PST

[Post New]by biggs12 on Dec 3, 10 4:58 PM
Having a lot of trouble with this game. I'm on the 13th skull and I can't get the shovel to dig up the coin. It is very very irritating!

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Dec 3, 10 4:59 PM
actorres86 wrote:This is the first time that I have ever said this about an MCF game...but I was definitely disappointed with the 13th Skull. Here is my review:

Graphics: B+
The MCF team was very innovative with the graphics (i.e. allowing you to place items in the character's hands, etc.) so I'll give them credit for that. Graphics were crisp and the scenery seemed realistic, especially with the incorporation of "real" people into the game. However, this is what I personally had a problem with. I don't want the scenes to seem too realistic, because imo it's no longer a game...but an "interactive movie." RTR did the same thing, but the interaction with these "real" characters was kept to a minimum, which is what made this particular technique successful in that game. Because I believe this game "overdid" it, I give the graphics a B+.

Story: D
Honestly speaking, I couldn't get into the story at all. I felt that instead of finding out more about Captain Crown, and discovering hints to his existence, the game centered mostly around performing chores for the other characters. In RTR, every step that you made was to find out more about Charles, Rose, and the twins. In this game, you are mainly completing tasks that the characters ask you to do...with hints about the main plot thrown around here and there. In addition, I personally didn't feel that the storyline was engaging, as in the former MCF's. While playing the past games, I had to literally force myself away from the computer. With this game however, I felt that it was a task to complete it...which is never a good thing. The whole scenario just wasn't interesting enough for me to even finish it, let alone play it for a second time. I forced my way to completion...but I was still left unsatisfied.

Ease of Play/Puzzles: B
Aside from the initial glitch, the game was very easy to play with minimal complications. However, as many of you have mentioned, I did not like the "hand-holding". Throughout the game, the "detective" was given objectives on what to do next. I personally feel that this feature should be optional, since there are some of us that don't like to be told what to do next. In addition, although I enjoyed the puzzles that they did have, I felt like there should have been more.

Excellent review... I agree with all except I like the live actors.

[Post New]by scalconstruct on Dec 3, 10 5:01 PM
I finished the game but it still wont let me access the bonuse game....how do I get into that?

mcox2
Starfish
Starfish
58 Posts

[Post New]by mcox2 on Dec 3, 10 6:58 PM
I enjoyed the graphics and the storyline was okay, but not one of your best. I hated the objectives because you did the thinking for me which made it feel dumb downed. I appreciate the fact that you wanted it to be more interactive with us questioning people, like it is done in the Nancy Drew games, but after awhile they became tedious and boring. Lastly, the puzzles were not even difficult. Guess in a nutshell what I'm trying to say is that I expected much more and much better and felt let down.

Michele

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Dec 3, 10 8:04 PM
Absolutely, 100% loved this game! I was so sad to see the end come...very good game, excellent story as well. I felt like it was a movie...BUT the bonus content is NOT that big a deal...so if you can wait until the regular version comes out... I would wait...the bonus content conatins access to the ship & you can explore it but its not that interesting.

petlovr
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by petlovr on Dec 3, 10 8:16 PM
Have always waited eagerly for MCF games, but I'm actually HATING this one. This is NOT fun; too many stopping blocks, too many places where we seem to be required to read the minds of the programmers as to what they intend us to do or try. Once you get to the point where the husband threatens you, for the rest of the game you have to listen to him haranguing you -- or else turn off your sound, and then miss some audible clues.
Really disappointed.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Dec 3, 10 8:17 PM
Great game but the music is just annoying. Really can't play the game without the sound but I am starting to go mad listening to that twang. Love the options like Swarmy mode for the reponses. Good graphics, and good game play. Music is pretty authentic. The snake really scared me.

cinwig7
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by cinwig7 on Dec 3, 10 10:40 PM
Can someone please help me, I have looked all over for the gold crown insignia cards and cannot find any of them. I saw a post that said someone posted where each one was in the forums but I have looked and can't find the post. If someone would be so kind as to help me out I would appreciate it. I have played the game twice now and still no luck. If you don't want to post it here, please PM me. Thanks.

Edited on 12/03/2010 at 10:42:08 PM PST

Go to: