Re:Reviews for Mystery Case Files®: Escape from Ravenhearst™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by DebbyKelly57 on Jul 4, 12 6:09 AM
I love Big Fish Games but s disappointed with problems trying to get MCF Escape From Ravenhurst to work or I should say not to work at all, Have played all the Raenhurst games so far and was so excited to continue the sage. But could not play it, for reasons unknown, never had a problem with any other BF games. Even took game back to store and had it replaced, but same thing happened when tried to play. Kept coming up with weird errors and access violatuion. What ever you did to this game I hope it will not be done to future games, can't enjoy your games if I cannot play them. Please correct problem and issue new replacement for this game. Still hoping to be able to continue with the Ravenhurst saga

FreeBird01
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Case Files®: Escape from Ravenhearst™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by FreeBird01 on Jul 7, 12 12:18 AM
KATPOR wrote:Being a lover of the Mystery Case Files series I bought this game without playing the demo....won't do that again!

I'm not a big fan of morphing objects and it would have been fine if the morphing objects and typical HOG scences had been interspersed, but just morphing objects are tedious.

I thought some of the content was disgusting...popping pimples, really? I mean, really?

Overall it was a long game, but I getting a little tired of the same old story, kidnapped, almost dead, haunted or haunting spirits....HOGs have started to sink into the "it's a dark and stormy night" type of story and it's time for someone to come up with a new twist. This game isn't it.

Next time a Mystery Case Files comes out I'll be sure and try the demo first and I won't be in a hurry to do it.

I also got this game without doing the demo because there was a special deal going on and it was just about over so I had to buy in a hurry. Never again will I ever do that! The special deal can just expire. I had to use the walkthough all the way though the game--that is not fun! And for the subject of the game it might make a good ad against child abuse, but that is about all! I didn't find it scary at all! I did have the volume turned off so I was just reading and the sound might have helped it in the department of "scary". And I agree with the person I quoted the content was disgusting! Please do not get this game!

kelsie2
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by kelsie2 on Jul 13, 12 11:52 AM
ok ok popping pimples it not my idea of fun,I had to ask myself " am I really doing this?" but it is a GAME !! and a very imaginative and well put together one !!!
In fact I thought that whole section with the pimples was really amusing !!!
I am only half way through game and had to draw myself away to eat ,so checked in with forums.. I think the is one of the best Ravenhearst games. I have to go back afterwards and play the others , I love the Morphs now I am used to them, mini games interesting and make me THINK .....I am finding the game difficult as I am trying not to refer to the SG . Anyhow A great Game so far, love it !!!!
Now no more talk back to the game !!

[Post New]by kellyfronte on Jul 14, 12 6:30 PM
ok, huge file first off but luckily i got a new computer first thing i did was download it. very hard and complex, huge game. AMAZING it was so horribly twisted and wonderfly horrible. it was awesomely sick. i hope there is a forth one this one suprised me, first one was a fail, second one (im on high score table) was very addicting and a breakthrough because later big fish broke through and made drawn, princess isabella , ect. 3rd one was shocking. left me speachless wonderful, just wonderful. if there is a forth one, i dont think they can top this.
thank you

kelsie2
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by kelsie2 on Jul 17, 12 1:04 PM
Ahh finished finally ....great experience.. one of the best MCF I think... ending a bit of a letdown maybe another episode ??
Thanks Big fish worth every penny .

[Post New]by BTRcovergirl on Aug 10, 12 1:29 PM
It was challenging and terrific!! I'm hoping there will be another sequel to this. I've reccomended the Ravenhearst series of games to some of my friends, and they loved it as well!!

[Post New]by ValenciaMartin on Sep 5, 12 10:15 AM
I love the game played for 6 hours last night and now am stuck on getting the baby charles. Please help.

Nixie2011
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by Nixie2011 on Sep 12, 12 11:33 AM
Ok, here's my review, even if somewhat late in time.

For me, EFR scored 7 out of 10.

Pros: wonderfully twisted, beautifully sick. The maternity section was brilliant, never seen anything like that before. Liked the morphing objects scenes. One little characteristic touch I appreciated was the post-mortum photos used in one of those scenes (the billboard at the asylum porter's office). Loved the fact that we got three mansions/buildings to wander around in, not just one. I consider the Ravenhearst games to be the work of digital art (lock puzzles in the first game, sceneries and puzzles i the following two). LOVED the few HOG scenes which were "pencil drawn" in black-and-white; a real step forward in HOG design. Some actors' contribution, esp. that of "Charles Dalimar", was actually really good acting. All in all, a nice final sequel.

Cons: the game felt somewhat "overdone", like a result of a great performance anxiety. (Which is quite natural considering the level of expectations.) Too many morphing objects scenes. One BIG minus is the almost total absense of HOGs; the only reason why I only played the game twice. (Use to play the other MCF games over and over again since I find it extremely relaxing to look for hidden objects.)

I do hope the developers are not having as much pressure on themselves this year, why I'm anticipating a surprise. Keep up the good work, and thank you for the true joy of mystery!

[Post New]by BamaZoo on Sep 21, 12 11:22 PM
Buyer BEWARE!!!!! Just on how wonderful the rest of MCF games were, I bought this one without trying it out first. BIG mistake I even sprung for the collectors edition. No extra levels, no score, no extra goodies except built in walk through(which you can find just about anywhere on line for free). This wasn't a HOG is was a morphing game. Not near as much fun and where usually the whole family piles around the computer to find things, I ended up playing alone. The Wonderful mini games/puzzles aren't as numerous in this game and the back and forth is completely frustrating. In summation, try any of the Mystery Trackers games, Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart or Dreamland.

MommytobeC
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by MommytobeC on Oct 3, 12 9:48 PM
toxshock wrote:I really had a few ethical problems with the game. I understand they were all mannequins, 'so it's all okay', but the the gist of the game was that they were representations of real events in Charles life. I didn't enjoy watching babies blowing up, giving electric shock treatment, killing, abusing pregnant women and spanking children. BFG, you went too far and there was no need and I wish I would have known. The warning although there was not enough and felt more like publicity. I am sure there will be others that think I am too sensitive, that I shouldn't have carried on with the game, or be shouting out 'It's just a game' but I felt truly uncomfortable and that I was condoning abuse by playing it.

I am right there with ya. I can handle thrillers and scary but this game has crossed the line. This was a horror not a thriller. The other MCF games all had a slice of humor in play. EFR does not have humor to lighten it up. It's warning should have been "Game contains Sounds and Content that some may call disgusting, distasteful, foul and abusive". I am up to the Asylum and I may never finish the game because I feel that this story is to make us feel sorry for an Evil Man because he had horrific upbringing. Sorry bfg you over stepped the line on this game. Next time you release a MCF I will be waiting see if what the "whole story" is before I buy it.

Kathilisa
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by Kathilisa on Nov 9, 12 7:11 AM
I've just finished this (thought I better had with a new MCF due out soon.....) and I hated it .

I knew it would be scary, but that wasn't the worst thing, because apart from the trapped 5 - who we all knew would get released - the other figures were all mannequins, but it was the depressing grungy scenes (remember the bathroom in RTR?) and gruesome sound effects (kept the volume off mostly...) which upset me.

Added to which, I chose the higher level (can't remember what name this option had) and there were no sparkles at all, and no hints except on the MO games....so when I got stuck there were no "clues" given to me....and looking at the strategy guide just told me to do certain things, but with no logic as to why, or how the idea had come about. (usually you get a little clue like.........small spoiler alert........ - where else might you find some electrical components?...then later.....you might find some electric components in the car engine....the guide just told me to get the fuse without me even knowing it was what I was supposed to be doing next......). I went with it because I wanted to finish fast!!! But I really felt as if I was just going through the motions of the game.

A huge disappointment, I really feel MCF games have been going downhill after RTR, and the devs are not really building on the aspects of the games which so many of us love. i.e. a great story, puzzles and very clever HOG scenes.

Still I expect the next game is almost ready...I'll go and hunt out the speculation threads and keep my fingers crossed for better things.

Psycho999
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by Psycho999 on Nov 24, 12 5:46 PM
MommytobeC wrote:
toxshock wrote:I really had a few ethical problems with the game. I understand they were all mannequins, 'so it's all okay', but the the gist of the game was that they were representations of real events in Charles life. I didn't enjoy watching babies blowing up, giving electric shock treatment, killing, abusing pregnant women and spanking children. BFG, you went too far and there was no need and I wish I would have known. The warning although there was not enough and felt more like publicity. I am sure there will be others that think I am too sensitive, that I shouldn't have carried on with the game, or be shouting out 'It's just a game' but I felt truly uncomfortable and that I was condoning abuse by playing it.

I totally agree, it was in very poor taste..The bit in the security hut where they show real dead victorian children on the notice board when finding the morphing hidden objects was the final straw, it's not fair to claim we were warned, we were expecting a scare as it's a psychological thriller, not pictures of dead babies and small kids which although long ago were totally real, it's off the scale unacceptable and totally unethical- people playing may have lost children of their own and would be even more affected by that than I was, it just isn't decent to turn up images like that in a game, its total exploitation, no consent of those families can be obtained due to the passage of time but what an insult to the memory of those children. Shame on you BFG.

vacsid1
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by vacsid1 on Nov 30, 12 3:05 PM
I enjoyed this game, but not as much as RTR. I had to refer to the walkthrough at every step of the way. It takes the enjoyment out. However, I will buy another. BF, you do the "do". I have recommended both these games to friends and family as a departure from the mundane.

[Post New]by bert86 on Dec 5, 12 10:21 AM
Petty poor, especially compared to the previous games. Think I wont be playing anymore ravenhearsts!

DanieJo
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by DanieJo on Mar 12, 13 3:57 AM
I am really enjoying this game. It is quite creepy to me, but I do enjoy that aspect. I happen to love the morphing objects vs hidden objects. Just nice change-of-pace for me. So many hidden object games out there already. To reiterate though: whoever came up with the creepy aspect really outdid it this time. Very Good!

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Oct 15, 13 7:36 PM
I had to quit as couldn't get the code to work after 2 days trying.

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Oct 20, 13 7:55 PM
sandicats5 wrote:I had to quit as couldn't get the code to work after 2 days trying.
Which code were you trying to get, sandicats?

NichelleV
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by NichelleV on Nov 14, 13 1:05 AM
Incredible graphics, a wonderful story and overall an addicting game. I really enjoyed this more than the latest MCF, Shadow Lake. I am secretly hoping for another Ravenhearst sequel, but my expectations are now so great because this one set the standard so high!

Tomsde
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Tomsde on Jan 1, 14 8:05 PM
Perhaps the worst MCF Game of the series; definitely not for the squeamish people. The iPad version does not flow smoothly from one area to another. I only bought this game with hesitation because I wanted to find out the lost chapter while I was playing Fates Carnival.

If you haven't played the other Ravenhearst games, I don't recommend it. I don't recommend for those who can't get enough of the Ravenhearst story arc and want all the details.

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Jul 24, 14 2:39 PM
I like this game but there are problems: one is the SG. It is almost completely worthless. This is the first time I have had to use a WT on a CE with a SG because I can't figure out the SG. It's not just the lack of words - the pictures are so small that I can't even see them. I wish the devs would have some pity on those of us with eyes that are a bit old and/or a bit tired (or more than a bit).

Another problem is the lack of a snarky detective. I miss that. I would not buy the last MCF game because it was gone and I almost did not purchase this game for the same reason.

I love the morphing objects; I'm a big Dark Parables fan anyway. I would like a mix of HOS and morphing objects. MCF games tend to have very poor HOS; like their SG here their HOS are full of very tiny and hard to see objects which is a problem for me as my vision is not very good. They tend to overuse them, too, which I find very frustrating and I always end up with a headache which is probably one reason why I can't complete the mini-games.

I like the mini-games a bit more in this game (with the exception of the second to last); I actually did a bit better than with some of the other MCF mini-games. It would have been REALLY nice to have some instructions; at least in the SG.

Yeah, the game is gross in parts. It didn't have to be that gross. It didn't bother me much but I can see how it would bother many people. If the snarky detective was around it would have been funny but the devs blew it there just like they blew it with their last MCF game.

It wasn't worth full price; that is for sure.

Sigh. How long will I be a ugly herring?

Edited on 07/24/2014 at 2:44:12 PM PST

Go to: