Edited on 11/09/2015 at 6:48:47 AM PST

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Alice's Patchwork here

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Nov 9, 15 6:49 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Alice's Patchwork here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Alice's Patchwork.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

Janette5
Clownfish
Clownfish
518 Posts

[Post New]by Janette5 on Nov 9, 15 7:00 AM
Alice's Patchwork is similar / identical to Patchworkz and Mosaic Galore. I didn't really notice any kind of story so I'm not sure if there is one or not.

You are given shapes on the side and you have to place them correctly into the mosaic pattern. In theory, this should be a fun, challenging and relaxing game.

This game fails to clearly identify its target market.

There is a timer with a very short time allocation and you can use game money to buy more time, however, I found that the time allocation was so very short that you'd run out of money very quickly. (You can ignore the timer and play on, but you won't get 3 stars.)

You have to click and drag and if you drop the puzzle piece it counts as a mistake. This becomes painful after a while (and it isn't hard to program a game with picking something up and placing it down without having to drag it). You are not allowed any mistakes at all to get 3 stars.

There were too few puzzle pieces filled in for me to complete the puzzle without using a hint or making a mistake. I prefer to try to fit pieces and not use a hint so this was a negative for me. The hints recharge slowly which brings you back to the fast-timer issue.

You need a certain amount of stars or money to advance to the next level, however, it seemed very doable without having to get 3 stars.

I enjoy these types of games when I want to relax not when I want an insane time-trial and I would hazard a guess that most people play puzzle games to relax not to challenge how fast they can build the puzzle. I think the developers failed to clearly identify who would enjoy this type of game and program it according to their likes / dislikes.

Having said that, it's a good game if all of the above doesn't put you off or you're not bothered with playing for 3 stars.

luciusm
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by luciusm on Nov 9, 15 9:36 AM
I agree with Janette5 about the time-management aspect of these types of games.
It's a big turn off for me. I tried a time-management game once, didn't complete the demo, and have never tried another one. I also play these games for relaxation. I like to just sit back and enjoy building the colorful mosaics.
I wouldn't spend $6.99 without knowing if I will have enough money to move on to another "location". I certainly wouldn't have enough stars, due to my dislike of being on the clock (like at work).
I will use a free game code to get this game, and hope that I will acquire enough money to move to the other locations.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Nov 9, 15 7:02 PM
Thanks for posting that the game is timed, because this means that I won't be downloading the trial or buying it.

MarkAlan
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

[Post New]by MarkAlan on Nov 9, 15 8:45 PM
abarrett wrote:Thanks for posting that the game is timed, because this means that I won't be downloading the trial or buying it.

There is an Option to play Relax without a Timer.

Janette5
Clownfish
Clownfish
518 Posts

[Post New]by Janette5 on Nov 10, 15 12:56 AM
MarkAlan wrote:
There is an Option to play Relax without a Timer.

Yes, thank you for posting this. I should've checked for that and mentioned it. The relaxed mode will also give you a bonus star - i.e. you automatically get the star for time.

I would never switch off a timer or play relaxed mode when there is a timer (just my personality-thing) so I forgot to check. I was so annoyed by the time set not giving one a fair chance - the time limit is set for 1 minute and working fast I'd take 3 minutes and I just felt that was not playing fair.

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Nov 10, 15 2:59 PM
I have enjoyed similar games in the past, but always ran out of time. I was SO glad to see that this one has a "Relaxed" option - I bought it almost immediately, and am having a great time.

The only negative comment I have is that sometimes it is really not possible to advance without either using a hint or making a mistake. There should ALWAYS be some kind of clue to where a piece should go, and sometimes there just isn't.

Oh, one other thing - there should be a gallery of the finished puzzles. They are really beautiful, and I would like to be able to look at them for longer. In fact, I might like to try reproducing some of these as actual quilted pieces.

Devs, can you consider this for the future?

GreyGhost
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by GreyGhost on Nov 12, 15 1:39 PM
I have 3 different versions of Patchwork games, and I think they were all put out by the same gaming company, but can't be sure of that. The first one was from last year, arriving in time for the Christmas season, and I did enjoy it, though some of the levels didn't have enough time - even once you knew what the picture would be and could place the pieces pretty quickly - to complete it without having to buy extra time. The second one came out for Halloween this year, and I was able to complete every puzzle of the 120 provided without buying any time. I really enjoyed that version. This version, however, I've only finished 60 levels of and find myself totally disgusted with the very short time frames for puzzles with lots and lots of pieces. There is no way to complete the puzzles without buying extra time, and for many of them you have to buy almost 2 extra time allotments. Poor sportsmanship on the part of the company, because I'm less and less apt to continue to buy these games if they continue doing that. I realize there is a relaxed version, but it's not quite as much fun as a timed version. One suggestion I would really like to see, though, is that they provide a thumbnail pic of the puzzle your working on, since you the only time you can actually see what a puzzle looks like is if you go back to the levels and look at it.

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Feb 15, 16 12:05 PM
I love this game and other patchwork puzzle games like it, especially the option to play in Relaxed Mode. You do NOT have to complete every game 100% correctly to more on. It goes by accumulated points and I found I had plenty of points to move on to each new level, even with frequent errors.

Go to: