bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Danger Next Door: Miss Teri Tale's Adventure comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Oct 18, 09 2:34 AM
Here is what our reviewer thought of Danger Next Door: Miss Teri Tale's Adventure. Post your own thoughts about the game in this thread and join the conversation!

Comments:
It’s hard to imagine a murder spree would happen in your neighborhood, but that’s the unfortunate mystery that you’ll have to solve in this spooky interactive Hidden Object game! The majority of the Hidden Object scenes are large collages but there are a few room investigations to add variety. Because many of the scenes are collages of suspect’s memories, there are a few dark spots from overlapping items and fuzzy recollections. To add some difficult along with the scenes, all of the puzzle mini-games differ from one another and some will give even experienced players a fun challenge. This is a murder mystery title though, so there are a handful of bloody scenes that are best suited for an adult audience. The storyline is very fluid and evolves well as the mystery unravels, which helps to keep the player enthralled in the detailed scenes. Follow your passion to return tranquility to your hometown in Danger Next Door: Miss Teri Tale's Adventure!

Game Modes:
If you’d like to test your agility, then be sure to select the optional timed version as you play through the game in either full screen or windowed mode.

Depth:
This game offers players loads of eerie fun through eight chapters that are filled with over 45 Hidden Object scenes as well as puzzle mini-games. You’ll definitely want to set aside a chunk of time to devote your full attention to this mystery!

Similar to:
Be sure to try the two previous games in this series: Miss Teri Tale and Miss Teri Tale: Vote 4 Me. If you’ve already enjoyed those games before, then you’ll probably love the intrigue in Dream Sleuth.

Difficulty level:
Danger Next Door: Miss Teri Tale's Adventure is a somewhat difficult game that would certainly challenge a beginner player. If you end up needing a little hint, be sure to check out the walkthrough we have up on our Big Fish Blog.

Reviewed by L.D.

Edited on 10/19/2009 at 9:47:47 AM PST

Re:Danger Next Door: Miss Teri Tale's Adventure comments and reviews

[Post New]by EcclesCakes on Oct 18, 09 4:03 AM
What a pleasant surprise! I've recently finished PH (Pure Hidden), and found it mesmerizing. I'm delighted to find this more linear game from the same developer. Like PH, it won't be for everyone. It's weird, a bit like being on something. But, unlike PH, it has voice acting and a storyline. My only concern would be length, but I would think, based on my trial, it would be 4 to 5 hours.Don't let that initial music put you off, it changes. At least try the demo. Thus far, I would give this 4 thumbs up.

Eccles Cakes

Edited on 10/18/2009 at 4:03:46 AM PST

kkbodine
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by kkbodine on Oct 18, 09 5:29 AM
This game is really weird. The story line was okay but the hallucinagenic-type scenes were just over the top for me. Some may enjoy it, but for me I couldn't wait to push the quit button.

Edited on 10/18/2009 at 5:30:22 AM PST

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Oct 18, 09 6:56 AM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I liked finding clovers to get extra hints & I liked the HOs list being Teri's notebook & Jason's starring role & Monty's lunacy in the 1st 2 Miss Teri Tales. Now it's a reloadable hint, the list is standard, Jason hasn't made an appearance yet, & Monty's been murdalized. Why break away from an obviously winning formula that made the 1st 2 games so popular?

The dialogue goes on & on (thankfully clicking speeds it up or it can be skipped entirely, as it's completely unneeded) & the dialogue popping up in the middle of a scene is as almost as annoying as it was in Hostile Makeover. Some of the voices either don't fit the characters (Alyssa Kingsley, Jason's owner) or sound stereotyped (like the sheriff's country twang).

The "thinking" scenes where people are trying to "remember" hurls a bunch of junk into a clean room so it looks like they're flying on acid LOL Not as irksome as Pure Hidden but annoying. It actually looks like someone's scrapbooking kit threw up in a lot of scenes ROFL & all the tight frames reminds me of the desktops in the Dream Days. It has this papery, cardboardy, scrapbooky look to it sometimes. The maps are like pop-up cards. Oddball graphix feel.

There's a few interactive things to do but it's not excessive or difficult & the hint reloads very fast, a few levels have more than one rm & the way is clearly marked so it's not random clicking to find out what to do next. In these you have to find something in the 2nd rm & come back to the 1st to use it to finish the level. There's like 5 levels to a chapter & each new chapter has a new map instead of how the others just had the one, Some of the neighbors haven't returned & there's a new guy to stumble across the corpse.

I was disappointed in this after enjoying the 1st 2 in the series. I think Miss Teri Tale needs to be laid to rest.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Oct 18, 09 7:19 AM
I think it's a pretty good game with interesting graphics. It can be very annoying and it is weird.

I haven't finished the last two HOGs that I bought though otherwise i might go for this one.

BTW, I skipped most of the dialogue as i found it tiresome and some of the characters were especially annoying. I did like the game play. The interaction, though limited, was a nice addition. I did not buy the two previous games.

lineck
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,140 Posts

[Post New]by lineck on Oct 18, 09 7:34 AM
After 30 minutes I was going to put this one on the back burner, but when my hour was up I bought, do not mind it, a bit quirky but easy to find items on the whole and a few mini games that are a bit differant, I would not say it is NOT a memorable game and I will delete I think after finishing not like Draw or RTR or Mushroom age callibre but still not bad for 6.99 and personally better that the last two H O.

I would advise to download and give it the full 60 minutes, some do not like the sound or talking it did not faze me, all part of the game and it is more an adult game, although the title reminds me of a kitten cartoon for some reason.. Enjoy the graphics and music okay. Terri voice alright but so of the other females no no.

Cheers
lineck

88blyth
Catfish
Catfish
1,705 Posts

[Post New]by 88blyth on Oct 18, 09 7:36 AM
i have played the 1st level and it took me 25 mins, thats without reading the story, i really like this game so far. personally i like the scenes where, in this case...find "x" ammount of crows and "x" ammount of revolvers etc....as its been mentioned, i liked "pure hidden" too so i will be buying this game x x

[Post New]by pratchettfan777 on Oct 18, 09 8:32 AM
I agree 88blyth. I haven't downloaded this game - yet. I like weird game themes quite a bit: Madame Fate, Redrum, PuppetShow, etc... And it is Holloween after all !

But I am hoping it has a timer ?

Let me know and thanks.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Oct 18, 09 8:50 AM
The game gives you a choice of playing it either timed or untimed.

stupidanacrox
Minnow
Minnow
240 Posts

[Post New]by stupidanacrox on Oct 18, 09 11:50 AM
I love this game, nice graphic and a very good story

What a Great and Fun Game...

[Post New]by FaunaMama on Oct 18, 09 11:58 AM
I enjoyed the first two Miss Teri Tale games, and so far, the third is my favorite of all. I enjoy it because it IS different from the hoardes of hidden object games that are thrown at us daily!

The menu interface is styled after a pop-up book, which is totally unimportant, but really cute. As others have mentioned, there are some brief (assumably) adult beverage references, but I don't see how that's any worse for the younger player than the crime around which the game centers. (a character has been murdered...) It isn't handled any more irresponsibly than it is in TV commercials.

I guess you could say that some of the scenes are "dark" in theme, but the game is not that way overall. It helps differentiate the mindset of the different characters and "suspects," and the acid trip references are neither fair nor accurate, IMHO. The dialog does not drag on forever, and I think it adds to the story line.

If you want to just hunt and click the same old objects from a list, maybe this isn't your game. If you want a pretty well-developed, fun, creative and different hidden object game -- and one that doesn't feel like it was designed specifically for a 6-year-old -- then you're going to really like this one.

lvd04
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by lvd04 on Oct 18, 09 1:46 PM
EcclesCakes wrote:What a pleasant surprise! I've recently finished PH (Pure Hidden), and found it mesmerizing. I'm delighted to find this more linear game from the same developer. Like PH, it won't be for everyone. It's weird, a bit like being on something. But, unlike PH, it has voice acting and a storyline. My only concern would be length, but I would think, based on my trial, it would be 4 to 5 hours.Don't let that initial music put you off, it changes. At least try the demo. Thus far, I would give this 4 thumbs up.

Eccles Cakes

I agree! this game immediately reminded me of Pure Hidden. I really like it!

bball111
Guppy
Guppy
194 Posts

[Post New]by bball111 on Oct 18, 09 2:55 PM
I bought it. I Love it!

I wish more games were "out of the box" like this one.

Edited on 10/19/2009 at 7:47:05 AM PST

pjries
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by pjries on Oct 18, 09 4:48 PM
*Definitely* quirky! It's a mix of goofy, bizarre and, in a couple of scenes, downright gruesome, but no more so, to me than the Ravenswood or other games with darker themes.

I really liked the interactive portions, even when they're just little animations that don't really have anything to do with anything. The sections where you explore someone's "memories" or "world" are fun for me and I liked the way I had to remove some objects to make others accessible. Mah Jonng game play in a HOG!

The mini-games were interesting, too - logic puzzles and brain teasers. Lots of hints and they recharge pretty quickly. What I liked most about the game, tho, was the twist at the end. I did *not* see that coming and it made the game very satisfying for me. I like a strong storyline so the dialogue and the acting were big pluses for me, too, even tho some of the voices were annoying.

I didn't much care for the first two Teri Tale games, and I can see where fans of those might not like this one as much. Overall, I'm very glad that I bought this one!

(ETA am I the last one to realize that "Miss Teri Tale" sounds a lot like "Mystery Tale" if you say the words? Yes? )

Edited on 10/18/2009 at 8:27:41 PM PST

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Oct 18, 09 4:58 PM
I LOVE IT! When I read on the Forum that it was something like 'Pure Hidden', well, I knew it was right up my alley.
Really makes me work on my powers of observation.
And the music is off more than it is on, so that's not a problem.
They must of had fun making this one.
Keep making them and I will keep buying.
Thank you

castellerin
Herring
Herring
347 Posts

[Post New]by castellerin on Oct 18, 09 5:32 PM
Well sillyfeet where are you???????? I don't always even try the demo until I have heard from sillyfeet. poodle bear just to mention a few of the many great reveiwers. Do you think you get Sundays off Sillyfeet??? lol

I want to know how it compares to the first Miss Teri Tale. I am hoping it is better.

Miss Clairol.

jbwhse
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by jbwhse on Oct 18, 09 5:53 PM
Mine just wen back to Play again screen!

[Post New]by FaunaMama on Oct 18, 09 6:56 PM
This was a GREAT game! What a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon!

I love those rare games that break the mold and have a little fun. I wish there were more. I would buy every one. Meanwhile, I'll keep buying the ones that are!!

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Oct 18, 09 8:09 PM
"Me" 2 Cents Worth, Compared to First Two.

"Me Kind of Likes" -- This one is very different from the first two in a couple of ways. In the first two, you were given the task to find 3-cloves in each scene to earn hints. In this the 3rd one, hints are kind of given free. After using a hint, the clove regenerates. In the first two, you looked for hints to find the "guilty party." In this one, there is more of a storyline to find the guility party. There are 8 chapters and 4-5 scenes each with a mini-game at the end of about half. In this one you have lots of things to find in each scene. Not so for the first 2. Objects are placed so that there is some challenge to locating them. The mini-games are different and were quite enjoyable to play.

"Me Kind of Not Sure" -- After awhile, looking for all the objects became a little boring. This is almost a pure HOG with some interaction, but the interactions are minimum. I played in the time mode and this was not a challenge because there is ample time to compete each chapter.

"Me Bottomline" -- I liked the first to more then this one. Too much dialogue (though you can skip). If I remember correctly, you can not skip the mini-games, you could for the first two. I would have liked less of the **** scenes and more of the mini-games since they were so different and enjoyable to play. I'm on the fence with this one. May purchase in the future. 3- out of 5.

Edited on 10/18/2009 at 8:10:04 PM PST

wenjam
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by wenjam on Oct 18, 09 8:46 PM
FaunaMama wrote:This was a GREAT game! What a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon!

I love those rare games that break the mold and have a little fun. I wish there were more. I would buy every one. Meanwhile, I'll keep buying the ones that are!!

Totally agree, I love games like this one and Pure Hidden.

Go to: