bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Tell-Tale Heart Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Nov 14, 15 12:29 AM
ERS Game Studios presents another thrilling installment of the best-selling Dark Tales series!

A scream in the night... a brutal crime... a mysterious figure with eyes red as blood... You and your partner, Dupin, have been called in to solve the murder of a young woman in a seaside town. She was found hanging from a tree, killed by a wound delivered straight to her heart. The details of the killing are strange, and suggest a very personal motivation for the killer. But who would perpetrate such a horrible and unusual crime... and why? Get to the heart of the mystery in this thrilling Hidden-Object Puzzle Adventure game!

SquirrelGirrrl
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

Re:Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Tell-Tale Heart Collector's Edition

[Post New]by SquirrelGirrrl on Nov 14, 15 1:18 AM
That was an extremely short demo, I finished in 40 minutes. I'm skeptical when we aren't given enough of the story to tell if we are going to like it or not.

gillydi53
Clownfish
Clownfish
703 Posts

[Post New]by gillydi53 on Nov 14, 15 4:29 AM
Quite agree and I dont think its worthy of CE category . The only extras seem to be collecting cards .

[Post New]by shelterhill on Nov 14, 15 5:17 AM
Agree, I was searching for more collectables, but the cards are not enough.
Glad that I can play though, the last two ERS games I couldn't play due to the resolution problem..

MLC60
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by MLC60 on Nov 14, 15 5:57 AM
Unless I'm confused, which is possible since I read it over 40 years ago, the plot of the original novel was that the villain had bricked up the victim behind a wall, and he kept hearing the victim's heartbeat, thus the title tell-tale heart. This plot sounds nothing like what I remember reading.

WhiteladiesRd
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by WhiteladiesRd on Nov 14, 15 6:11 AM
Seems to be an extremely short game. I've played 55 minutes and finished chapter 3 (there are 5, plus the bonus chapter). Playing on Mac, you get one hour trial time, but no fixed end of the demo.
To be honest, I skipped some mini games, as I found them extremely easy or "hinted" through other ones which I found boring. Changing lenses on your goggles to examine bodies and fighting an assailant in between (you fight as the victim I suppose, and it's done to explain the injuries) did not appeal to me at all.
For me the HOs were dull, the story, well, it shares the name with Edgar Allan Poe's short story.
@MLC60: I've googled a summary of the original story and could not find any resemblance. At least not in the first three chapters.
Splashing blood doesn't make a game creepy. It looks cheap. It's a pity ERS has chosen this path.

The series "Dark Tales" has gone down in my ranking. I own the CE of the first games, then went to Standard Versions, then waited for a very good sale, this one - no. I won't even use a free coupon on the SV when it's out.

To finish on a positive note: the graphics are great and I didn't experience any glitches.

read61
Salmon
Salmon
2,775 Posts

[Post New]by read61 on Nov 14, 15 1:02 PM
I did the beta for this one a while ago. I remember suggesting that they make it more challenging....apparently they didn't listen. I read The Tell-Tale Heart years ago and this bears no resemblance to it. Definitely not CE-worthy IMO, not enough extras to justify paying the price. The first two games in this series are wonderful but it's been all downhill from there....such a shame. I may just replay The Black Cat instead of this one. At least it was a good length!

kat1117
Clownfish
Clownfish
956 Posts

[Post New]by kat1117 on Nov 15, 15 5:22 AM
MLC60 wrote:Unless I'm confused, which is possible since I read it over 40 years ago, the plot of the original novel was that the villain had bricked up the victim behind a wall, and he kept hearing the victim's heartbeat, thus the title tell-tale heart. This plot sounds nothing like what I remember reading.

I also read almost all of Poe about 50 years ago!! I think maybe you are thinking
of Poe's "Cask of Amontillado" which does involve a victim being bricked up.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Nov 15, 15 10:51 AM
Puzzles/mini games that are solved in two or three moves?
Seriously, why bother? Boring.

molla311
Stingray
Stingray
4,680 Posts

[Post New]by molla311 on Dec 27, 15 12:51 PM
I have all the other E.A.Poe's, have to say this was so boring and gave me unfortunately nothing.

Go to: