Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post any TECH ISSUES for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Tell-Tale Heart CE here

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Nov 14, 15 12:39 AM
A thread for any tech issues you may have. Please also include the operating system you are using.

PLEASE NOTE: I cannot help you with any tech issues so would like you to stop sending me PMs for advice that I cannot answer. Post your tech issues in the game forum and someone should be able to deal with it. Thank you

Edited on 11/14/2015 at 7:44:04 AM PST

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

Re:Please post any TECH ISSUES for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Tell-Tale Heart CE here

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Nov 14, 15 7:45 AM
Hi Everyone,

If there's trouble with getting Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Tell-Tale Heart Collector's Edition to work correctly, we highly recommend going to our Help pages. Using our Help pages is always the quickest way to get technical problems resolved. Here are a few suggested articles that have helped many people correct these types of problems in the past:

Game Crashing, Freezing, or Blank Screen
Game Compatibility

In some cases, we can provide a known solution for technical issues in the Forums. In addition, some of our tech savvy pond residents may also swim by with good tips and suggestions. However, we're unable to provide the same excellent level of support provided by our Customer Support team. This is because the Forums are not well suited for the type of information-gathering and troubleshooting that's needed in order to correct issues of this nature.

If you're unable to get a game working properly using our Help pages or the tips posted here, please get in touch with our Customer Support team. You can find a link to contact Customer Support on the front page of our Help pages section.

Contacting Customer Support will help us to gather necessary information on what types of systems are being affected by the problem and to share this information with the developer in order to work towards a fix.

When posting in this thread and also when contacting Customer Support, it would be helpful if you could state what system you are playing the game on (i.e. PC, MAC or Mobile), so we can provide you with the appropriate support as quickly as possible.

*Finally, please reserve this thread for tech issues only. If you are seeking game play assistance (i.e. hints and tips), the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the game's Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion.'

bfgWaimea

Flissa2
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

Re:Please post any TECH ISSUES for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Tell-Tale Heart CE here

[Post New]by Flissa2 on Nov 14, 15 7:49 AM
Another game with an error access violation code when I try to load it on windows 10.Tthis is just getting ridiculous. I am soooooooooooo fed up BFG. After years of being a loyal member and hanging on hoping things will improve this is the last straw. I am off to a new pond PDQ!!! Don't suppose you even care!!

patskarma
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by patskarma on Nov 14, 15 9:05 AM
Flissa2 wrote:Another game with an error access violation code when I try to load it on windows 10.Tthis is just getting ridiculous. I am soooooooooooo fed up BFG. After years of being a loyal member and hanging on hoping things will improve this is the last straw. I am off to a new pond PDQ!!! Don't suppose you even care!!

Same here! Other games load, no problem but certain developers the error access violation code comes up. Looking for a new pond also. Tired of no service. Been a member since 06 and I am done.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Nov 14, 15 10:24 AM
other games lload this one wont load a error problem, maybe it will get resolved soon

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Nov 14, 15 11:33 AM
I doubt anything will be done to solve the issue. I tried to beta test this one and got the access violation code. Never had a problem with the Poe games until I upgraded to Windows 10. I informed BFG in my survey that I couldn't even open the game, but it looks like nothing was done. I am going to download it and see if anything has changed, but I am thinking it hasn't. I have the rest in the series and I guess if they are no longer going to work, I will have to start getting credits or refund on all of them.

Update: I downloaded it and I am still getting the error access violation code and the game will not load.

Edited on 11/14/2015 at 1:15:11 PM PST

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Nov 14, 15 8:51 PM
I d/l on my computer and it worked it did not work on my laptop..i have windows 7
just let you know thx BF and Devs great job on this game..

[Post New]by knoelli on Nov 15, 15 2:39 AM
For those of you having issues with the access violation on Windows 10: this is probably caused by an incomplete graphics card driver that is shipped with Windows 10. I had the same problem and was able to fix it, please see my following blog post which describes the problem in detail and also what to do to make ERS games work on your machine: https://vivaldi.net/de/userblogs/entry/casual-game-compatibility-with-windows-10

Flissa2
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by Flissa2 on Nov 15, 15 7:47 AM
Many many thanks Knoelli! At last a real answer to my problems. Rolling back worked perfectly. Now I'm off to try other games I couldn't open. Fingers crossed and I might lurk in the pond a bit longer!.

TAZZ1965
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by TAZZ1965 on Nov 15, 15 9:24 AM
This is like the 3rd game from BF that I also can't play. I'm getting access violation as well. I'm running windows 10. Never had problems prior to up grade. I agree it is getting very frustrating wanting to play and can't. Might be time to cancel my subscription to BF. Please fix this to keep your loyal customers

rdalton87
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by rdalton87 on Nov 15, 15 12:06 PM
My cursor keeps freezing on and off throughout the game

lkbambi
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by lkbambi on Nov 16, 15 11:06 AM
I'm having the same error message problem - again. Some developers just don't get that their games don't work on our computers. How often does it have to happen before something is done about it? I'm checking out other gaming sites too.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Nov 16, 15 12:05 PM
knoelli wrote:For those of you having issues with the access violation on Windows 10: this is probably caused by an incomplete graphics card driver that is shipped with Windows 10. I had the same problem and was able to fix it, please see my following blog post which describes the problem in detail and also what to do to make ERS games work on your machine: https://vivaldi.net/de/userblogs/entry/casual-game-compatibility-with-windows-10

Thank you knoelli! My notebook was running Windows 7 and like you, everything was up-to-date. I hate Windows 10, but missed the window to go back to 7. I'll try what you did and see if it works.

[Post New]by jb14621 on Nov 27, 15 6:35 PM
See that everyone else has the same issue with new games on Windows 10. The previous games work fine; but, not the 2 I just bought. Same error codes etc.. I might try the card suggestion; but, not till someone better at this than I am is present, lol. Thanks...If it doesn't work...I'll go for refund.

[Post New]by droidrot on Nov 28, 15 8:06 PM
Bonus chapter: Have put the handle on the grindstone but the game doesn't think I have. Please fix.

[Post New]by Nina0178 on Dec 2, 15 8:20 AM
I have Windows 10.
I'm not far into the game, I'm totally frustrated with the six lights for talking to the witness.
The first light turned green, but when I try to do the same knock again, the first light goes back to blue.

Can you get me through this HOP?
Thanks much!
Rocky

Re:Please post any TECH ISSUES for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Tell-Tale Heart CE her

[Post New]by playerbobbysmith on Dec 8, 15 6:11 AM
Just upgraded to Windows10 and now can not run some of the Dark Tales games (Red Death, Usher, Marie Roget, Tell-Tale). Not having this problem with Rue Morgue, Premature Burial, Gold Bug or Black Cat. Get "access violation" error opening the problematic games. Reinstalled Tell-Tale Heart, tried downloading and installing Directx 9 developer's full runtime version, checked my video driver which is from 2011 so it was not changed during Windows 10 install, (tried Microsoft Basic video driver anyway), ran the game as administrator and tried every compatibility setting - no luck! Not planning to revert to Windows 7. Can u please let us know when this might be fixed? Thank you for any information you can provide!

UPDATE: I finally solved it! It was definitely the VIDEO DRIVER - it turns out Windows 10 does not have a compatible driver because my PC is too old - the driver for my Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family was last updated in February of 2011, so I created a dual boot configuration on my laptop, installed Windows 7 on the second partition and updated my video driver from the installation default. It worked!!! So does PuppetShow Face of Humanity Collector's Edition and Dark Tales: Edgar Allen Poe Curse of the Tell-Tale Heart, which were also causing the access violation error.

In the process, I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro 64 bit to try to use Hyper-V and create a Windows 7 virtual machine, but found out my processor is too old, does not support SLAT (second level address translation), which is required for Hyper-V, so I had to use dual-boot, but I would be curious to know if it works in Hyper-V if someone who does this has a SLAT compatible processor. On an up note, as a result of that upgrade my computer is smokin' fast now, which will probably help with the other chronic problem I was having which was stuttering and freezing in some games, particularly the Haunted Hotel series. Will update this post when I can confirm this is fixed also.

UPDATE: OK, the dual processors did NOT fix the stuttering and freezing, but I think I discovered what it was! I kept stopping different services, and finally I stopped the Windows Update Service wuauserv when I discovered it was using 50% of my CPU, which I could not stop through Task Manager, but I was able to through Performance Manager. I haven't had a problem since! Hope this helps!

Good luck!

Edited on 05/01/2016 at 10:41:59 AM PST

[Post New]by rlrisley1 on Dec 25, 15 5:35 AM
Same problem with tell-tale heart. glad to know it is the windows but I don't have a 7 to fall back on. can just the graphics be downgraded? or would that cause problems with other programs? other games I have purchased at the time and scene are working fine. For me it is only this game that won't work.

Go to: