Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Tell-Tale Heart CE here

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Nov 14, 15 12:42 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 11/14/2015 at 7:44:10 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Tell-Tale Heart CE here

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Nov 14, 15 6:28 AM
I hardly had time to evaluate this game; I only got 36 minutes of play when the demo ended But what little there was didn't do a lot for me.

It's all very 'ERS'. The children have huge eyes, the graphics and colours are typical, the HOS are quite varied (but no option do do something else instead), the puzzles are fairly easy and the collectibles are just cards from the other Dark Tales games. And for some reason, Dupin is getting more effeminate with every game!

Not a very pleasant story either; I felt as though I'd stepped into an episode of 'Criminal Minds' at one point. Some of the images I'd rather not re-visit any time soon.

And my pet hate; everyone in the game has an American accent, even Dupin, who is clearly supposed to be French. And the game isn't set in America I do wish developers would remember that there is a whole world of other accents to choose from and that not all game players are from the U.S.A. And I also wish this site would stop trying to correct my spelling just because it doesn't conform to Mr Webster's version of the English language

I'm not a fan of ERS games but have bought some in the past. This game will not be amongst them.

I had no technical issues in the very short demo time. Desktop running Win7 Prof 64-bit.

loridobs
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Tell-Tale Heart CE here

[Post New]by loridobs on Nov 14, 15 7:38 AM
Very short game. Don't think it is has the value of a true CE.

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Nov 14, 15 7:45 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Tell-Tale Heart Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, as do the developers as well as your fellow gamers. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Tell-Tale Heart Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM any one of our Moderators.

bfgWaimea

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Nov 14, 15 8:18 AM
I agree, this seems to be the shortest Demo I have played. I found it almost instantly annoying. Lots of Gimmicks made me want to quit right away and I almost did but I had hoped it would get better. Dupin used to be better before his voice change. If Dupin isn't going to have a French accent, maybe he should at least have a British one. The boy sounded too much like Dupin and not really like a child. I used a lot of Hints. This was partly to get past the Gimmicks and move along and partly because of all the nested nonsense, open the case, open the bag, open the lenses, open this, open that. Why can't I just have those items I need and that are in inventory, available without all of the nonsense? I have a feeling this may really be a short game so they added all of these extra steps to lengthen it.

I own the other games in the series but this one annoyed me so that I may never buy it though I might get it in a 2 for 1 Sale just to add it to my collection. I was very disappointed.

puzzgamer1
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by puzzgamer1 on Nov 14, 15 8:26 AM
I thought it interesting that 2 of the reviews shown(on the game's page--gave it 4 stars!--BUT when read their comments and what they didn't like or a glitch that 'puzzled' me...why in the world did they Still give it 4 stars. something wrong there...

[Post New]by anglhrt770 on Nov 14, 15 8:42 AM
loridobs wrote:Very short game. Don't think it is has the value of a true CE.

I totally agree!

HoneyVegas
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by HoneyVegas on Nov 14, 15 9:18 AM
wow! that was an extremely short game! Not really CE BF!!

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

[Post New]by 9otters on Nov 14, 15 9:34 AM
All gimmicks and cut-scenes...very little game. Took all of 32 minutes to play the demo...skipping nothing. Even rewarded with some "achievements". How does just playing the game result in an achievement?

The game page description calls it "thrilling". I believe someone needs to locate a dictionary to find the definition of the word. Far from thrilling, imo. As long every game is awarded 4 or 5 stars, we can expect to see more of the same.

36 cards to collect. All in plain sight. 13 mini-games and 10 HOs to replay. As well as the usual CE extras.

Collecting all of the cards unlocks...something. I imagine it will be another game/puzzle/HO that will take as much effort to play as it took to find the cards that unlock it.

Sorry. Cannot muster any enthusiasm for "more of the same". Very disappointing to have a 60% off sale and not find a single game I'd enjoy playing.

As usual...to each his own. Play the demo and decide for yourself. Happy gaming.

edit: Agree totally with those who pointed out how little resemblance this story has with the original EAP Telltale Heart.

Edited on 11/14/2015 at 10:39:38 AM PST

wkdsdenn
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by wkdsdenn on Nov 14, 15 10:05 AM
Stunned by this game's short length. Purchased after my 60 min free trial. Completed the game about 10 minutes later!

Checked this forum to see if some tech glitch caused half the game to skip. Assumed entire middle was jumped over. But seeing the reviews, it seems this is merely a rip-off.

Purchased this game and Haunted Hotel X with weekend's discount...and that game was unplayable due to incessant tech loading pauses. Feels like I just threw away $16 in a matter of minutes.

dramajunkie
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,641 Posts

[Post New]by dramajunkie on Nov 14, 15 10:07 AM
puzzgamer1 wrote:I thought it interesting that 2 of the reviews shown(on the game's page--gave it 4 stars!--BUT when read their comments and what they didn't like or a glitch that 'puzzled' me...why in the world did they Still give it 4 stars. something wrong there...

Agree. Why all stars and recommendations? I quit reading those reviews - they add nothing to this board.

Dupin is pretty, but the series is losing its appeal. My heart is not into all the bloody scenes, though they aren't as gratuitous as other games.

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Nov 14, 15 10:33 AM
I very much agree... VERY SHORT game.. completed the main story in under 2 hours. I'm now playing the bonus chapter. Positive note - no glitches at all (yeah)!

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Nov 14, 15 12:21 PM
Well when I screw up I do it big time! I thought the game was excellent during the demo and with a sale went ahead and purchased it. What a huge disappointment.

The story made absolutely no sense and it was a poorly constructed game. Maybe it is now time to retire the series. I think the last great Dark Tales game was the Fall of the House of Usher.

I wish I could have a do-over on my game page review because I would have given it no more than two stars and would not recommend the game. E R S obviously has some big problems. We had one great game from them recently but I don't understand why they can't be consistent.

Even with the sale price I feel like the game was a huge failure and not even worth the $7 I paid for it.

I certainly apologize for my very misleading game review.

mrm2006
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by mrm2006 on Nov 14, 15 1:30 PM
FYI: The game starts off with the following disclaimer: "This game contains violence and disturbing scenes." Ok. Well. Not during the demo IMO.

OMG! A bloody, beating heart ............. and we start the investigation 3 days before the murder. It's a dark stormy night. A woman walks along the waterfront. A blood-curdling scream! Blood everywhere!

Graphics were typical of EAP (Edgar Allen Poe) games, brown. Lots of brown. The music was nice, sound fx ..... meh. Voice overs. Well ........... I wonder if this Dev ran over budget and cut costs at hiring voice actors. IMO, it appeared that the same person was acting out at least 2 people each. Older man/little boy .......... nope ..... didn't work at all. Sigh.

Casual, Advanced, Hard and Custom difficulties.

HOGs and Mini Games had a me a bit confused as to which was which as almost everything I played could have been one or the other and I don't recall a 'skip' button but always a 'hint' button. Either way ..... all very easy peasy.

You find a transportable map, which is redundant in that you ALREADY HAVE THE MAP at the start of the game! Your journal and medical case (it also holds your ID and non-medical stuff) have a home in your Inventory.

CE Bling: In addition to the usual fare of wallpaper, music and replayable games, there are ...
* 36 collectible cards (all relating to previous EAP games)
* A crystal skull kept securely under a dome. Notes from the game: (Complete the mini-games to gain access to the crystal skull kept under the glass dome). (Collect all the skull cards and complete the corresponding puzzles to activate the crystal skull and learn your destiny.)

Hmmm. Not much there.

I wanted to love this game. A DISCLAIMER!!!!! ooo - expectations of blood, guts, gore and MORE! Hmmmm ........... not. Big disappointment. Unless it's in the game waaaaay beyond the short demo. Short ..... yes. Took me just under an hour and I am NOT the world's fastest player. I like to click on everything and see if birds fly, butterflies butterfly. Well, you get it.

Perfect game for .............. beginners. It's soooo easy. Sadly lacking in the CE Bling department (although that crystal skull/find my destiny WAS tempting) so I would purchase the SE vs the CE. Well .... not ME because it's NOT a purchase for me. But, IF I were to purchase it I would get the SE.

For those who can look past it all. ENJOY!

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Nov 14, 15 2:11 PM
I finished the demo in 32 minutes? I have never finished the demo of a CE with so much time left. I did play the beta for this game and I'm sure that the beta went much further in the game than this demo did. I didn't find the disclaimer necessary, even though I don't care much for blood and violence.

There wasn't much during the demo for me to grab my attention and make me want to purchase this game, even with the sale.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 14, 15 8:16 PM
Hi all! Wow, talk about short demo...this has got to be the shortest yet! I have most of the EAP games in this series and liked what I do have...a couple were just too far off the story for me to buy. There have been a few changes to our detective Dupin, e.g. his face is longer and thinner and his voice is way off. What happened to his accent? The graphics are very nice and colors are bright and true, so you don't have all that blue and pink we see a lot of. Game play was very good, no problems during the demo and it fit my large screen. As I said, the voices overs left a lot to be desired, but hard to tell with such a short demo. Makes me think the game is also quite short. Music was okay. Not much in the way of sound FX either. This game could have used some stormy weather or something to help it.

HOPs are very few. I only ran across two during the demo, but they were fairly clean and items were not difficult to find. Just interactive lists so far. The sound FX you hear when you find something or accomplish a task got very annoying very quickly. Puzzles were not as simple as most we have seen lately. They did take some time and thought to complete, so there is some challenge here. Hint system is very helpful, but I did not see a transport feature. There is a map, but the demo was so short, I didn't get a chance to even look at it.

Collectibles - all I found are cards, that depict the Poe stories. There are 36 total and they quit easy to spot. Not sure what happens when you get them all, but it seems they are used when all are collected. This was also a disappointment. This game needed more collectibles.

I love Poe stories and know them all. I was a bit disappointed in this one. Yes, his stories are about death and all, but not quite this bloody. This was a little over the top. I do not feel this is CE worthy at all. The game wasn't long enough for me to even really get into the story, but as I said, I was disappointed in what I did play. I'm sure there are those who will find this one a good game...it's not a bad game, just not one that makes me want to buy it, even though I do know how the story is supposed to end. No buy for me, but I will give the SE version a try when it comes out. Some games are just better as an SE, we will see.

As always, give this one a try and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for. Thanks for the reviews.

campfire29
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by campfire29 on Nov 14, 15 9:34 PM
Everything everyone said, except I found the game to be very enjoyable & not at all short in length. Heck, with the sale going on it ended up being the same price as a SE. Thanks BF.

sweatpea_25
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by sweatpea_25 on Nov 14, 15 9:41 PM
I was able to fly through the demo twice under two different profiles and still have 36 minutes left. That's with the 90 minute demo. I was stunned when it said completed Demo Thanks for playing. I loved all the other Dark Tales. This was a T Total Failure!!!!!

bradalex
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by bradalex on Nov 15, 15 11:58 AM
Love this series but very disappointed with this one. The outcome was obvious from the start, with absolutely no possibility of following clues and having to change your mind.
Dupin has lost all his Gallic charm and I really feel that I have wasted my money. (Getting to be a regular feeling with BF!)

dog2007
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by dog2007 on Nov 15, 15 12:23 PM
Personally I thought it was a fun game...

I haven't read the story but after the second time the game made sense (I recall some bits of the original but again it is just from hearing it).

I have all the EAP games from ERS and while I too miss Dupin's original actor I like how the game went.

Yes it was easier and a shorter game...but 1) There was little challenge int he first two games (Rue Morgue and Black Cat) and no voices at all, and 2) I can finish other games like MCF Huntsville in a short time too...unless you don't read anything and skip the dialogue all games can take a long or short time to finish...My first time through took me about 2 1/2 hours to finish without using any hints or skips...maybe everyone can speed through puzzles and HOPs but it took me some time...and I still enjoyed it

The music and sounds are the typical EAP effects but still done well

I'm still a EAP fan and know there are quite a few Poe mysteries still untouched (like the Pit and the Pendulum) so I'm staying positive...

IMHO Masque of the Red Death was their best work...and though I do like Nightfall it has been a while since I've played...and the last time there were still features I couldn't access...

Anyway to each their own but for me it was worth getting and I will probably go and play a marathon of allt he games one of these days (8 regular and 1 FTP)

Go to: