LucyMarie
Minnow
Minnow
205 Posts

"retarded children"

[Post New]by LucyMarie on Oct 19, 09 1:48 PM
Let me say upfront--I am the mother of a special needs child and I believe that he (and all special needs children) will be the ones who save the world someday.

That said, I also enjoy hidden object games (obesssed you could say) so imagine my dismay with this game.

I did not stick around long enough to remember the whole 'stamp' but in one of the mini games there are stamps. The object is to match the stamps. One of the stamps begins with 'retarded children'

Now, I do not care if they say 'retarded children' will save the world or that this was an actual stamp. This word is no longer in use and many in the special needs community (but not all I am sure) find it offensive. We no longer use cuttting terms to define other communities why was this allowed?

Bad move Big Fish. I understand I may be the only parent (one) who is outraged, but I am. To leave something so baldly decisive was a bad move.

Blessings on SPECIAL NEEDS children and all of us,
LucyMarie

bizzeebee
Minnow
Minnow
230 Posts

Re:"retarded children"

[Post New]by bizzeebee on Oct 19, 09 1:51 PM
Hi LucyMarie, look! We match LOL

In all seriousness though, I completely understand you're being offended and am actually quite shocked to hear that anyone even uses the term "retarded" in that regard anymore!! I don't even like typing it because it sounds so awfully disrespectful!

[Post New]by flyingsquirrely on Oct 19, 09 2:15 PM
Deleted

Edited on 01/06/2010 at 7:02:04 PM PST

suss1
Clownfish
Clownfish
555 Posts

[Post New]by suss1 on Oct 19, 09 2:25 PM
I am also a mother of a retarded child, and I do not get offended by words, I get offended by actions. In my world a spade is a spade, and if they want to call my boy retarded, then it´s ok with me, as long as they treat him well.
Don´t get offended by words. They can´t harm you or your kid. You´ll only scare people away, because they will be afraid of offending you unwillingly.
Be strong girl

LucyMarie
Minnow
Minnow
205 Posts

"retarded children"

[Post New]by LucyMarie on Oct 19, 09 4:44 PM
LucyMarie wrote:This word is no longer in use and many in the special needs community (but not all I am sure) find it offensive.

As I said in my original post--it is a word *I* find offensive and many in the special needs community do as well. However, I also mentioned that not everyone finds it to be offensive. To me, this has nothing to do with remaining strong, but has to do with not using a word that has been replaced with a more respectful one. Good luck to you and your child as well.

Blessings,
LucyMarie

Lisa_111
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa_111 on Oct 19, 09 11:00 PM
According to Wickipedia (sp) this stamp was from 1974- that said - there's a million other stamps that could have been used. My sister is Deaf and I can't tell you how upset my mother used to get when folks would say, oh is she Deaf and dumb? We live in a more respectful time now.

sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Oct 20, 09 9:30 AM
In defense of BF..they didn't make this game. They can't change the content of it...at least legally I don't think they can. All they can do is fix any technical bugs that happen within the game. But since they didn't make it they can't change the actual gameplay and the words used in it (especially since the stamp was part of a mini game) just to make people happy.

Go to: