Qumquat
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

Creating new puzzle piece shapes

[Post New]by Qumquat on Nov 15, 15 1:53 PM
Hi Y'All --

Has anyone created new puzzle shapes successfully? I've studied the directions and they don't quite make sense to me, but I'm going to try it and see if the parts that don't make sense work themselves out.
If I succeed in making any new piece shapes, I will post the specs here.

This Jigsaw game is the best of all of them! I bought several jigsaw games before this one and tried to 'import' the pictures from those into this one, but I am either too ignorant or it cannot be done. This game has so many options that make it easier to manipulate the pieces - like the sensitivity (how close they have to be to connect) and the size of the pieces. My other puzzle games are so sensitive, having to move the pieces Just So, that my hand gets fatigued rather quickly.

This game has just the right amount of sounds, too. One game I have has applause after each 'connect' and it gets irritating after awhile, but in this game, I like the soft click that indicates when they have connected.

I love the unlimited trays. I like to sort my pieces by color, putting edges in their own tray, before I start assembling. I never use any of the "cheats."
I like playing this when I am on a long phone call or listening to an audio book. I usually set the piece number to 400 or 500 pieces and make the piece size a little larger (50% - 80%) even though that makes it take a lot of room on the board. I use the trays a lot so it is okay that there isn't a lot of room on the board. Besides, since Puzzles Galore allows you to move your main, partially assembled, puzzle anywhere, you can move it so only part of it is onscreen, the rest is offscreen, giving you room.

I always use the 'right-click' menu to 'arrange' my pieces. The ONLY criticism I have is that the arrangement function ignores any pieces that are already connected so I have to manually move them to a blank spot. Oh, and when I resize the tray, the pieces spread instead of staying where they are. It would be much handier if they stayed where they were and enlarging the tray opened up some space in which to put the connected pieces. If I want the pieces spread, I can click the 'arrange' option again.
But this is ONLY A MINOR issue and detracts not at all from the enjoyment of this game! It makes it 99.99999% perfect instead of 100%.

A BIG thank you to the developer and to BIG FISH for making such a great puzzle game available.

GOOD JOB!

Jeanjaz

Qumquat
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

Re:Creating new puzzle piece shapes

[Post New]by Qumquat on Nov 15, 15 4:03 PM
Well, I thought I would do alphabet letters, starting with "A."
I drew it out on graph paper making a 13X13 grid. I opened "square.asc" and saved it to "lettera.asc" in a new subdirectory of "jigsaws galore" (C:\Program Files (x86)\Games\Jigsaws Galore\Pieces\jeanjaz) -- I had to change the permissions in order to create a folder and save the file into it.
I edited the file in Notepad++ writing the new coordinates and changing things, carefully, as necessary. Here is the final attempt:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Jigwin piece template version 1.0
Title: letterA
Author: Jeanjaz O
Corners: 1,2,3,4
1, 0.0, 0.0
2, 3.0, 13.0
3, 10.0, 13.0
4, 13.0, 0.0
5, 10.0, 0.0
6, 8.0, 5.0
7, 5.0, 5.0
8, 3.0, 0.0

--------------------------------------------------------------------

This file caused my game to crash and I'm not sure why. My original file looked like this:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Jigwin piece template version 1.0
Title: letterA
Author: Jeanjaz O
Corners: 1,2,3,4
1, 0.0, 0.0
2, 3.0, 13.0
3, 10.0, 13.0
4, 13.0, 0.0
5, 10.0, 0.0
6, 8.0, 5.0
7, 7.0, 5.0
8, 8.0, 10.0
9, 5.0, 10.0
10, 6.0, 5.0
11, 5.0, 5.0
12, 3.0, 0.0

-------------------------------------------------------
Even though the "A's" top hole was connected to the bottom gap, I thought it might be too irregular and that was making it crash so I took it out, but it is still crashing.

Another odd thing is that after saving the file, I looked at it in the grid in the program (Preferences/FunPieces) and it presents it upside down. I don't know why, but perhaps it has to do with why it is making the program crash.

Just to make sure, I de-selected the new puzzle piece and opened a puzzle without crashing the program. It is definitely my puzzle piece that is messing it up.

If anyone has any thoughts I would love to hear them.

~ Jeanjaz

Re:Creating new puzzle piece shapes

[Post New]by Crossfire_99 on Jan 18, 16 3:57 AM
Wow that's a fun thing to do!
I will give it a go too and see how it works for me.

I love this game as well. I've seen many and they just don't come up to the standard of this game. The reason I prefer this to any other jigsaw game is the "trays" and being able to sort your stuff out.

I've recently been importing new images and creating 5000 piece jigsaws, they take a couple of days to do and give me so much enjoyment. And I always use the "mystery" mode.

Go to: