edp1730
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

Advice: Study timed levels before playing

[Post New]by edp1730 on Nov 15, 15 3:45 PM
I absolutely HATE "Timed" levels, because my ADHD triggers panic every time I play one. One thing that has really helped is to study a timed level - several times if necessary - before deciding to play. When the initial screen displays, take several seconds to study the layout. Does It have walls?; does it have sand?, etc. - THEN "X-Out" of the level BEFORE making any moves. You can do this as many times as you want to. Since the gummies included change each time you do that, I don't spend too much time trying to memorize potential matches. They may or may not be there the next time I select that level.

This approach actually helps with all levels - I just need it more with the timed ones. I "X-OUT" of any level that looks bad when I initially see it, timed or not. Ed :-)

Sziggy
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by Sziggy on Nov 16, 15 1:13 AM
edp1730 wrote:- THEN "X-Out" of the level BEFORE making any moves. You can do this as many times as you want to.

This approach actually helps with all levels - I just need it more with the timed ones. I "X-OUT" of any level that looks bad when I initially see it, timed or not. Ed :-)

I HATE timed levels too! I will use the freeze time boost when I absolutely need to have a timed level to move forward on. That boost is expensive but well worth it to play it without stress--you can make as many moves as needed to get thru the level without any time limitations

But, I had no idea you could X out of a timed level because I thought once the count down started whether you made a first move or not you were comitted to playing or else lose a life.

This is good to know! Thanks for the tip.

Edited on 11/16/2015 at 1:16:01 AM PST

eli173
Manatee
Manatee
3,645 Posts

[Post New]by eli173 on Nov 16, 15 3:33 AM
Sziggy wrote:
But, I had no idea you could X out of a timed level because I thought once the count down started whether you made a first move or not you were comitted to playing or else lose a life.
This is good to know! Thanks for the tip.

I love timed levels- except for those I can't pass, of course! But I didn't know that you can back out of them either! Always good to study beforehand. Thanks!

Edited on 11/16/2015 at 3:34:20 AM PST

edp1730
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by edp1730 on Nov 16, 15 12:32 PM
Quick FYI - when you click the red "X", you will get a pop-up that says "Are you sure?" Just click the green check mark, and you'll go back to the map. If you HAVE made a move, it will say "You are about to lose a life". Then you might as well go ahead and finish the level.

NeenaL60
Minnow
Minnow
251 Posts

Re:Advice: Study timed levels before playing

[Post New]by NeenaL60 on Nov 16, 15 1:30 PM
Take several seconds to survey..... how many seconds...? I know I can't peruse as long as I want to, guess I'll just check it out! Add me to the "dislike" pile... My chest tightens as I repeat to myself.."breath, breath, breath"....my neurological deficits are a pain in the arse!!! I know it's just a game... Don't remember what level (or country) but in a couple levels in the "drop" the gummys appear to roll down my iPad screen non-stop.... causing a seizure..yep sure nuff.. a seizure! Flashing lights, also. School buses now are equipped with a f-light mounted on the back of bus... following the bus one night to a ballgame..... I didn't leave the city! Didn't complete that level either... I quickly rember when I attempt it....in n out.. Anyone else? I must lol!...

edp1730
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by edp1730 on Nov 16, 15 10:01 PM
Hi Neena! You can actually study/analyze a timed level down to the last second before X-ing out, but NO WAY my nerves would let me cut it that close! LOL I look for the potential problem areas, etc. Even after I've decided I know the screen well enough to try and play it, I X-out if I don't see some good moves in the first 5 seconds or so.

madelainef
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by madelainef on Nov 17, 15 1:32 AM
My bigggest problem with timed levels is the different mind-set required to play them. After doing one, I have to reboot my mind to get back to playing in a considered fashion (best done by walking away from the game and doing something calm).

NeenaL60
Minnow
Minnow
251 Posts

[Post New]by NeenaL60 on Nov 17, 15 6:52 AM
Yes, shifting back to low gear after dropping 12 sovs in 45...takes reminding myself to do so... and to loose my grip on my iPad... White knuckles for many... I might add, getting more difficult all the time! My end maybe near.... I don't like change..lol!!!

eli173
Manatee
Manatee
3,645 Posts

[Post New]by eli173 on Nov 17, 15 10:05 AM
Changing gears after a timed level is not easy for me either! But I usually don't feel any anxiety during a timed level. Strangely, I feel very anxious when I play the last few moves of those untimed levels where each move gives you peanuts...and I see my score climb at an excruciatingly slow pace...and stop just short of the required score by a few points. That process makes me a nervous wreck!

Of course you shouldn't spend more than 5 secs studying the board or else there will be no time left to play!

NeenaL60
Minnow
Minnow
251 Posts

[Post New]by NeenaL60 on Nov 17, 15 7:26 PM
Eli173... if I spend too much time surveying,,, end up doing HORRIBLE! (or running!)..
Currently am in Berlin..... left a wake of Gummys in Rome, many timed levels in the mix, I go back and do them later (or not)... am sure I haven't seen difficult cities yet! I have loved this game for many, many months but reservations growing, a game shouldn't cause me ANGST!! where DID MY game go...
(Use all advice "how to..." Thanx).

edp1730
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by edp1730 on Nov 17, 15 10:04 PM
Neena - I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday when I started playing Barcelona. It seems like the percentage of timed levels is higher in the first 20 levels there than in all previous cities. That had me wondering how much longer before the game created more angst than "fun". Hope I'm wrong about the increasing %. I ONLY play level 1 of the timed ones, unless they happen to show up in the Daily Deal or Gold Fever. When that happens, I do all the other letters in the word for the day first - then resolve to let lives keep regenerating until I finally win. That will get VERY OLD if starts happening several times per week.

Edited on 11/17/2015 at 10:11:05 PM PST

BanditSam
Minnow
Minnow
295 Posts

[Post New]by BanditSam on Nov 18, 15 4:21 AM
There is good news, though. Barcelona 106.2 is a timed level, but it's a dream! It practically plays itself and you are 99.9% guaranteed to win

Go to: