Daxadillion
Flounder
Flounder
2,203 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Parables:Goldilocks and the Fallen Star Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Nov 19, 15 12:38 AM
A thread for your reviews.

PLEASE NOTE: I will not write a personal review on any game to BFG members who PM me requesting one.

Edited on 11/19/2015 at 6:43:10 AM PST

SquirrelGirrrl
Guppy
Guppy
142 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Parables: Goldilocks and the Fallen Star Collector's Edition

[Post New]by SquirrelGirrrl on Nov 19, 15 3:25 AM
I've always liked the Dark Parables series. This one does seem a little different. I do have to say that there should have been some instruction on how to get the beer mugs lined up correctly. I'll buy it, but wait for another sale. I already have the other Dark Parables. I agree with cbtx that the more Dark Parables we get, the less complexity there is. I remember the first few were really good.

firebird40
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Parables: Goldilocks and the Fallen Star Collector's Edition

[Post New]by firebird40 on Nov 19, 15 3:55 AM
I really miss when Blue Tea was doing these games...there was something special about their graphics. This one is fun but same old same old...all this dev's games look and act alike

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

[Post New]by 9otters on Nov 19, 15 4:11 AM
I didn't think it was possible for the Eipix version of Dark Parables to get any worse. Boy, was I wrong.

Grainy graphics made worse by having to peer through beams of light, blowing snow, blowing snow, blowing snow.

We finally get inside and get floating dust motes...just awful. There is also what I can only describe as a "flatness" or lack of dimension...almost a look of cheapness.

Bored silly by the time the demo was done. Take this here, put it there gameplay. 40 snowflakes to find. Parables to find...broken into pieces this time. 21 puzzles and 20 FROGs to replay. Achievements. jump map, bonus game, strategy guide...the usual.

Transporting hint, 4 levels of difficulty...umpteen levels of TEDIOUS. Still trying to figure out why replay of all the cut-scenes is valuable as an "extra".

Try before you buy. Happy gaming.

Edited on 11/19/2015 at 4:22:42 AM PST

[Post New]by shelterhill on Nov 19, 15 6:35 AM
Previous reviewers have already said everything.. This is a real bore... So glad the demo ended and I could delete the game.
Such a shame, the first dark parables were so good!!

bfgBellerophon
7,487 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Nov 19, 15 6:41 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Dark Parables: Goldilocks and the Fallen Star Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Dark Parables: Goldilocks and the Fallen Star Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

rainworm
Herring
Herring
305 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Parables:Goldilocks and the Fallen Star Collector's Edition

[Post New]by rainworm on Nov 19, 15 9:09 AM
Ok. It seems, all those reviews are basing on the demo only.
As I liked the beta, the story (why not variations in known fables?) and the demo didn't contradict my impression, I bought the game.

I've been playing for some time now and can say, it is a good game. The best dark parable by Eipix. Of course there are differences between the first dev of this series and the new one.

There are some nice puzzles to do (e.g. the artifact!) and the FROGS are nicely composed. I do not like them very much, but this is a feature of the DP, which won't change.

For me, there is no "ho-hum" or so, but a good game!

angelfish106
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,244 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Parables:Goldilocks and the Fallen Star Collector's Edition

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Nov 19, 15 12:14 PM
I bought the game without trying the demo; it's a Dark Parables game and an instant buy for me

And I really don't give a hoot what that others are saying. Yes Eipix have made changes since they took over this series and some are not for the better; the fragile beauty of the fragmented items has been lost and that is a real shame. However they have made the pieces much harder to find; they used to stand out before but I actually to use a hint in one search as the piece was too well hidden!

I can't see how these HOS are described as 'boring' when every other Dark Parables game has exactly the same fragmented object searches. What makes this games' HOS any different from the others in the series?? And since Eipix took over this series quite a few games ago, I can't understand why those that don't like the way these games have evolved even bother to demo them. If you didn't like the last game, chances are you won't like this one.

I like these games, regardless of who produces them. If Eipix stop making Dark Parables, who will produce a fragmented object game for those of us that love them? Aside from this series, there are almost no FROG's produced. So I will continue to buy them and support Eipix for keeping the series alive,

I didn't find the graphics particularly grainy; they seemed clear enough on my PC. Some of the puzzles were easy, some were not. There are collectibles to find; snowflakes and parables broken into fragments. I couldn't care less about the story; in this version Goldilocks does not eat the bears porridge or sleep in their beds but this is a grown-up parable, not a child's bedtime story and it's certainly not 'juvenile'. But it is a fairy-tale and aren't they all 'far-fetched'?

The map transports and shows where there are actions to complete. The game is fully customisable. Extras include a bonus chapter separate from the main story, replaying of HOS/puzzles and the chance to find any collectibles you missed.

As I said, this was an instant buy for me. I want Eipix to continue making the Dark Parable games and I will buy every one for as long as they do. I love them

ETA: I had no technical issues with the bought version of the game. Desktop running Win7 Prof 64-bit.

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Nov 19, 15 2:32 PM
Have to agree with the negative reviews.

Just cannot see the good in this game that others seem too see. This game is tedious & boring. The storyline just gets lamer as the game goes on.

Rehashed storyline with those silly mechanical beasts. Same old hideous blue/murky graphics with characters that are one dimensional & look like they were drawn by first year art students.

VO/music ok. Hated the "find the fragmented pieces" HOS. Where's a good old messy junk pile when you need one??? Mini puzzles were nothing to write home about!!

Looked at the map but it was sketchy & didn't seem to be helpful. The hint button transported you which is fine with me.

All in all just can't seem to find the "greatness" others found. Definitely try before you buy & see if you find any "gold in them locks"!!!

Penny1942
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
488 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Nov 19, 15 3:09 PM
Looks like Angelfish, Rainworm are the only fishies swimming upstream with me. This is a good game or at least it was for us. I enjoyed the different take on the Goldilocks story, the graphics were just fine on my widescreen monitor, music is OK for a while but then I always turn off the music about half-way through any game. Really like the FROG scenes, EIPIX just does them a little differently and that is just fine with me. Glad there was a protagonist in this game that wasn't a death's head in a black cape. And, more important than my opinion, as someone else said, as long as EIPIX continues the Parables series I'll be scooping them up.

Good job EIPIX team!

judy76073
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Parables:Goldilocks and the Fallen Star Collector's Editio

[Post New]by judy76073 on Nov 19, 15 3:31 PM
Penny1942 wrote:Looks like Angelfish, Rainworm are the only fishies swimming upstream with me. This is a good game or at least it was for us. I enjoyed the different take on the Goldilocks story, the graphics were just fine on my widescreen monitor, music is OK for a while but then I always turn off the music about half-way through any game. Really like the FROG scenes, EIPIX just does them a little differently and that is just fine with me. Glad there was a protagonist in this game that wasn't a death's head in a black cape. And, more important than my opinion, as someone else said, as long as EIPIX continues the Parables series I'll be scooping them up.

Good job EIPIX team!

I do agree with Angelfish, Rainworm and Penny1942 - I am quite liking this game - quite often, I don't really pay any mind to the story line - I go through the dialogues fairly quickly - I buy games that I enjoy, and I don't base my purchasing a game on anybody else's review. I try it, if I like it, I will buy it.

everybody has their preferences on what they like.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,387 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Nov 19, 15 3:34 PM
Good game with beautiful graphics which are not grainy on my PC. I love the FROGs which are part of what makes this series enjoyable for me. However, the FROGs are not quite as pretty as they have been in the past. I don't really like having mechanical beasts in DP because I like a more recognizable takes on fairy tales. I must say though that I don't reallly mind the mechanicals too much which surprised me. This is a Buy for me though I will get it on Sale or with a credit because times are tough for me these days. I look forward to continung the game this weekend.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,098 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Parables:Goldilocks and the Fallen Star Collector's Editio

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 19, 15 3:44 PM
Hi all. Well, here we have another in this series. This is not the Goldilocks I remember! This game is set up exactly the same as all the other in the series, with a few differences. The graphics seemed a little blurred to me, especially the close up scenes. Colors were okay, but somewhat faded and not as sharp and clear as others in the series. Music was nice. Voice overs were okay, but very few. You don't speak, you are just written dialog. However, you could click through if you read faster than the "speaking" characters. Sound FX were quite faint, and I even had the environment sound at max. Game play was very good, no problems at all during the demo and it fit my large screen quite nicely.

HOPs are fragmented pieces, which have become quite boring if all you have is straight FROG throughout the game. I like them, but it is definitely time to upgrade the HOPs in this series. The HOPs are junk piles, with some items with color and others none. Puzzles were painfully simple and took no brain power at all. Hint system is very helpful and it does transport to longer locations. This comes in handy, since you do a lot of back tracking in this game, just as you did in all the others.

Collectibles...40 snowflakes that are extremely hard to find. They blend in color, with most being only an outline, and most are very small. This is the challenge to this game. You also collect parables...again. These are also very small and not at all easy to find.

I have most of these games and liked them all, but this one left a lot to be desired for me. It is not a bad game, just nothing new. Same game, different story...sort of. I beta tested this one a few months ago and didn't rate it very high then. Sticking to that now. I am sure there are people who will like this game, but I feel it is geared more toward a beginner who has never played any of the others. No, no buy for me. Honestly don't feel this is CE worthy and I know I won't get it even as an SE, which is unusual for me.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may like this one. Thanks for the reviews.

Edited on 11/19/2015 at 3:47:28 PM PST

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
709 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Nov 19, 15 7:18 PM
I love games with fragmented pieces, however this game is not big deal AND the graphics aren't as clear and crisp as others.

[Post New]by sparkers2005 on Nov 20, 15 11:58 AM
I loved this game.itis just as good or better than the other dark parable games. I have all the parable games and all are good. I think eipix did a great job on this game. the length was good too. give eipix a break.

bradalex
Minnow
Minnow
254 Posts

[Post New]by bradalex on Nov 21, 15 1:35 AM
I love the Dark Parables games and will probably buy this one, but I do think that eipix is taking the individuality out of the companies that they are taking over.
Their games appear remarkably similar to me, they seem to lack the "spark" that I am looking for. For instance , the opening scene in this game I know I have seen before ,Though can't quite remember which game! ( one of the perils of getting old!)

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,286 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Nov 21, 15 4:46 PM
What a beautiful game! I take exception with the Fishies who think the graphics are sub-par. What I've seen are beautiful graphics with great detail. I defintiely do not find the game "ho-hum", but to each his own, that's why BF offers a huge selection. A buy for me!

sea_maid
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

[Post New]by sea_maid on Nov 21, 15 8:44 PM
Well, I may have to disagree with the majority of reviews here...but I think that Eipix is finally starting to get the hang of doing the DP series. This entry was miles superior to the previous entry ( Queen of Sands), and the retelling was fine, but a bit convoluted at the end. The original tale of Goldilocks doesn't have that much story to it ( and depending which retelling you read, it may even have a grim end), so to tell the story with Goldilocks as an adult gives the studio a bit more leeway in doing a different story with the titular character. However, there are still some minor problems during the story. Seems that the retelling gives the impression that she was given the nickname due to her power with turning people into gold, but that wasn't it at all; it was due to her hair color, and the fact that she had curls. Second, how she got the nickname when she was given a proper name in the game wasn't explained, and that could have been done either during the gameplay, or in one of the parable stories. During the previous DP stories, the retellings were always tied to the traditional version in some way, and it was shown or stated in one of the parables, (and no, having a brief retelling of the original story during one of the puzzles in the game doesn't count).

I agree that the graphics could be improved, and polished a bit more. Music was okay, at least it wasn't a rehash of previous DP music. And please, don't have the parable pieces be so tiny, and morphing to top it off...it makes them practically impossible to see. It happened in the previous DP, but now it was worse.

The extras could have been expanded a bit. There was very little artwork, and only a few wallpapers, and for this being a CE from an established series it was really bad. The animatics from the bonus chapter looked unfinished, they could have at least done a decent mini-movie for it.

Oh, and one last thing. The bonus chapter had two parables, one being about the Golden Child. If I remember, that was one of the parables in Rise of the Snow Queen, so just make sure that the parables aren't repeated in future games.

Overall, great improvement, just hope that they don't mess it up next time.

[Post New]by NancySusan on Nov 22, 15 3:34 PM
Taking into account that this is really not (yet again) like the earlier Dark Parables games which I loved, I was rather liking the demo at the beginning of the approximately 60 minutes I played, but after a while I began to notice the repetition of actions. The graphics are nice and vivid, and I liked Jack's return, but despite my love of morphing objects and finding snowflakes, etc., my interest really began to slip. I should add that there were things I liked including the little icon telling you that you had a snowflake to find, but I began to feel there was a set of actions which repeated in each scene. Fix this, find that, assemble this, unlock that, do a FROG (I also like those normally, although these were pretty simple), anyway, I just got bored, although it's evident there are plenty of people who love the game, and that's great. Just not for me.

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,091 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Nov 22, 15 9:31 PM
I never thought I would be jumping in with the negative reviews of this game.
I figured, maybe some folks just cannot get used to Blue Tea not being the dev anymore.

But, I have to agree....the game is boring.....and the controls on many of the puzzles are klunky.
I have skipped several, something I never do.

Also, a warning for folks who have vision problems. It is really hard to see objects in the FROGs. They are either dark and dismal, or filled with shiny reflections that hurt my eyes. Some pieces are really small and so well hidden, I cannot find them even with my trusty magnifying glass.
With the clarity of Blue Tea's graphics, I was always able to find the objects in the FROGs, even if it took me a while.

It was also a challenge to find the parables and whatever collectible object there was....morphing or not.....this time, I have to resort to the SG for where things are.

Normally, I like Eipex games, but, I don't like the way they are taking this series....at least visually.....and, I am not very engaged by either the story or the parables this time.
Maybe it is time to find another company to do these if Blue Tea refuses to go back to them......or, maybe it is time to just end the series.
Too bad, they were wonderful FROG games, full of wonder and beauty.
This is just a dark mess, except for all the gleaming gold.

Go to: