Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Surface: Return to Another World Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Nov 21, 15 12:44 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 11/21/2015 at 5:28:56 PM PST

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Surface: Return to Another World Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by 9otters on Nov 21, 15 2:05 AM
Looks like this Dev is keeping the extras info secret...until we buy the game. The strategy guide didn't show the locations of the collectibles...until we buy the game. The same goes for the number of mini-games and HOPs that can be replayed.

Because this is the Surface series, there are red, silver, and gold flowers to be found. They have added 12 morphing animal figures to the collectibles this time. The cursor "helping hand" is provided, though I didn't need it because they are not well hidden.

Bonus game, strategy guide, jump map with a collectibles icon, and the usual CE extras. Four difficulty levels, transporting hint, NO alternate game to play if you aren't into the HOPs.

The mini-games I found were easy, all have a reset feature. The demo had one complex puzzle that didn't require much thought to complete. The HOPs were varied and pretty simple. There is a diary that holds all the notes we find during the game.

All in all I didn't find much to make me want to explore this one further. I was hoping for more of a fantasy world where the underwater kingdom was concerned, but it looked about the same as the regular world.

Nothing special or complex about the gameplay. Lots of "open this with that", fishing pole, paper clip zipper pull, feed the animals, use a knife and lose it, use a razor and lose it, find scissors and lose them, kill the bugs, douse the fire, blah, blah, blah...

Not much thinking involved with this one. There are times I like a simpler game, but it definitely won't be this one. Too simple and too much of the same old thing for me. Happy gaming for those who choose to play.

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Surface: Return to Another World Collector's Editi

[Post New]by Dorango1 on Nov 21, 15 2:46 AM
9otters wrote:Looks like this Dev is keeping the extras info secret...The same goes for the number of mini-games and HOPs that can be replayed.

Hi 9otters,

The full version has:

13 Mini-Games.

13 HOPS.

17 Achievements.

10 Wallpapers.

10 Concept Art.

5 Soundtracks.

1 Screensaver.

63 Collectibles & Flowers

Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Surface: Return to Another World Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Nov 21, 15 4:40 AM
I agree with both 9Otters and CBTX on this game, the demo seemed to last hours and hours as it was so boring.

It's about time Elephant Games buries Surface preferably 6ft underground.

glenard
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by glenard on Nov 21, 15 5:20 AM
This isn't a review but I have been all over Big Fish website trying to get more info on the 50% off sale and there isn't any. If you click on the promo, it just takes you to Big Fish site and that is all. The promo says 50% off of all games, doesn't give you if it is off of retail or game club price, and there are no codes. Where do I find this info at. If I go to buy a SE game it comes up at my game club price and not half off and no coupon code.

IF the sale is 50% off of retail prices, then that is no sale for game club members.

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Nov 21, 15 5:23 AM
glenard wrote:This isn't a review but I have been all over Big Fish website trying to get more info on the 50% off sale and there isn't any. If you click on the promo, it just takes you to Big Fish site and that is all. The promo says 50% off of all games, doesn't give you if it is off of retail or game club price, and there are no codes. Where do I find this info at. If I go to buy a SE game it comes up at my game club price and not half off and no coupon code.

IF the sale is 50% off of retail prices, then that is no sale for game club members.

http://www.bigfishgames.com/blog/all-games-half-off/

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Nov 21, 15 6:58 AM
Great graphics, nice music, strange storyline and thanks be no spiders, webs or blood and gore. Like the hint that actually takes you to where you need to be and a fast skip for puzzles which I abhor. Personally like this game, it's got all the things I like. By playing each game as a stand alone, not withstanding that there were many more before in the series, it allows me to enjoy the individual game. I have no expectations and therefore no letdown.

sollys
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by sollys on Nov 21, 15 7:15 AM
I am really enjoying this game. The storyline is entertaining, the graphics are excellent, and I am enjoying the HOPS and puzzles. I though will wait for the Se to buy. Hats off again to Elephant gam\es.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Nov 21, 15 7:25 AM
glenard wrote:This isn't a review but I have been all over Big Fish website trying to get more info on the 50% off sale and there isn't any. If you click on the promo, it just takes you to Big Fish site and that is all. The promo says 50% off of all games, doesn't give you if it is off of retail or game club price, and there are no codes. Where do I find this info at. If I go to buy a SE game it comes up at my game club price and not half off and no coupon code.

On the home (main) page, the banner shows the CE price as $19.9 (the retail price) and the code is HALF. In other words it's not half price for Game Club members (although it's still cheaper) but it is for non-members.

The SE code is OFF. Use it when you buy your game and you will get a discount (but not half off).

Hope this helps

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Nov 21, 15 5:33 PM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Surface: Return to Another World Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, as do the developers as well as your fellow gamers. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Surface: Return to Another World Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM any one of our Moderators.

bfgWaimea

MsNetty61
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by MsNetty61 on Nov 22, 15 11:25 AM
Bye bye Surface series, I won't be buying this one, as it really has nothing to grab my interest
I liked some of the games in the past, not all it must be said....but this one was reeeaaally booorrring!!!
I wasn't bothered about the characters, didn't care about the outcome and didn't find the graphics very inspiring.
9otters mentioned the underwater scenes could have been so much better and I agree
Come on you big grey creature, give us something to really rave about

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 22, 15 1:32 PM
Hi all! Well, we have #8 in this series. Yep, got all of the others and really enjoyed them all. Wasn't all that kicked out about the graphics. They weren't bad, just a little muted and seemed a bit fuzzy. The colors weren't as sharp as they were in other games in this series. Animation was quite good, as were the sound FX. Game play was excellent. The dev must have read the reviews for the beta, since there was no longer a "lag" time between scenes. Voice overs are very nice, with emotion and not just reading a script. Did anyone else notice that the "trunk" on the VW was in the back? It wasn't in mine! You do have a story board that gives you more insight into what is happening and why. You need to place the items on each page in the correct spot in the picture...not real keen on these, but it works.

HOPs are nothing new, e.g. interactive silhouettes and basic lists. The scenes are fairly clean and clear, but again, the colors are mostly washed out. Hint system is very helpful and actually shows you where you need to go next, or what to do next. There is a transport in this one, which is quite helpful, since you do a whole lot of back tracking for one or two items, so grab an extra pair of tennis shoes, you'll need them. SG is the standard. I was a bit disappointed that the demo did not let you see the collectibles. The map is set up well and does show you that you have missed a collectible. I like this feature, since I do have a need to find them all. Puzzles were not difficult, but some do take a little time to complete.

Collectibles: the flowers, naturally. Not sure how many, since the number kept changing almost every scene, e.g. 15 in one, 30 in another. They are not as easy to spot as they have been in previous games and there is more than one in each scene. They can be anywhere, so be on the lookout for them. I also accidentally found morphing figurines and its shows that there are 12. Didn't find anything else.

This game is not really challenging, but I found this story more interesting than most. It would flow much better if you didn't have to constantly back track. It gets old real fast. That being said, I think this will appeal to most all levels of players. Because I liked the story line in this one, I do find the need to see where is it going. Yes, I am going to add it to my collection.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

moondances
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by moondances on Nov 23, 15 8:12 AM
Hey, Dax, great idea to bury the series-Then they can start another called "Under"

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Nov 23, 15 3:40 PM
I just got around to playing the demo, and I have to say, I really enjoyed it. The graphics are excellent, and I like the voices too. Yes, it is yet another in the Surface series, but as they are all stand alone games, I don't have to try and remember what happened in the previous "stories"

I used the map to save on the eternal back tracking, and it shows where actions are needed, and where they have been completed. I found no lag in using it, so definitely a good map

Unlike some other reviewers, I like collecting the flowers and morphing objects, as it adds a little more play time to the game

I will be buying this game very soon

It took me a long time to really get interested in the Surface games after the first couple, but when I tried them again, I found them to be quite enjoyable - and bought them all. The same thing has happened with other games I didn't like first time round. However, I always demo first - if I don't like it, I don't buy it.

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Nov 23, 15 5:18 PM
Of all the Surface games, this looks to be the weakest (best, IMO, were the first one and The Noise She Couldn't Make). There's not only nothing that grabs my attention, it feels like I've been here before - many times - with the artwork, puzzles, and the story line. I don't like not knowing what the collectibles are until I purchase the game, but that's not really a deal breaker. I was bored, plain and simple. I may get the SE with a coupon, but certainly this Surface CE, is a no buy for me.

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by cat52 on Jan 8, 16 4:33 PM
I found the make-up puzzle impossible - asking for help here on the forum but no answers yet - it's extremely touchy. I skipped it in order to get on with things.

Other than that, it was enjoyable and up-to-standard on graphics and sound. Not spectacular. Plot was predictable. Bonus game was good. Collectibles were fun as usual. Morphing animals were fun to read about.

3.5 out of 5 and I concur with many others here - demo it first!

Go to: