Screen Flicker?

jaroch
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

Screen Flicker?

[Post New]by jaroch on Oct 25, 09 4:00 PM
I've searched online for a solution and tried all the usual fixes, but this one is stumping me. Any movement or subtitles on the screen causes an extreme flicker, almost like a slow refresh. I tried changing the settings on my graphics card (GEForce 9500GT) to disable the anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering but nothing seems to work. I've downloaded hundreds of games from BFG and this is the first time I've had this problem.

Anyone else having this problem? Or, more importantly, found a fix?

heyma
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
5 Posts

Re:Screen Flicker?

[Post New]by heyma on Oct 25, 09 6:59 PM
Yes, I have the same problem. I can't get past the "Big Fish Games" page, All it does is flicker. Have downloaded and reinstalled and it still does the same thing. I have no idea why it is doing it. I am very disappointed in the game.

[Post New]by LeighKay on Oct 25, 09 8:28 PM
I too had hoped for a solution to this problem. Yet i have i to find one.

[Post New]by britchie9147 on Oct 25, 09 9:21 PM
I also have the same flicker screen. This is the second large file game I have experienced this problem. The same thing happened when I installed and started Destination: Treasure Island.

The only difference between the two games was while Secrets has v1.02 of the flicker screen. Destination had v1.05.

I tried changing my video settings and scanned the forum posts to see if anyone else had the same problem.

I'm going to report this to Customer Service. If they can't provide a solution, at least they can give me a game credit.

[Post New]by KraegM on Oct 25, 09 9:29 PM
I'm getting it as well. GeForce GTS 250, Windows 7 64-bit.

mcj6756
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by mcj6756 on Oct 26, 09 3:50 PM
me too!!!

mzaura
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by mzaura on Oct 26, 09 6:15 PM
Hey...me, too! Same problem with Destination and Da Vinci. Customer service made Destination good with a credit and now I guess they will have to do the same with this one. I am so disappointed, but relieved that I am not the only one with the same exact problem.

[Post New]by callexiss on Oct 27, 09 5:37 PM
I am glad to know that I am not the only one, I was thinking my video card is not good enough, but I had downloaded lots of games from bigfish, and this one is the first one I am having problem with, the screen keeps flickering, and make my eye hurt.

STL531
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by STL531 on Oct 27, 09 5:43 PM
I'm not having this problem, but in case it helps figure out what's causing the issue I am running Windows XP Pro and have a GeForce 8400 GS graphics card with PhysX GPU acceleration enabled.

And like mzaura said, worst case scenario Big Fish has great customer service, and if they can't resolve your issue with the game then I'm sure they will refund your game credit.

tillybaby
Minnow
Minnow
219 Posts

[Post New]by tillybaby on Oct 28, 09 8:26 AM
I too am getting the same as everyone else, I am unable to play the game at all and seeing as we had to pay for it in advance Im hoping that something will soon be sorted out.

[Post New]by COMPUCHIPS on Oct 29, 09 7:10 PM
Secrets of Da Vinci
IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH WINDOWS 7
Big Fish is going to have to fix the problem....

[Post New]by danweldy on Oct 29, 09 9:52 PM
I have dual Nividia Geoforce 8600 video cards. Maybe its a compatibility problem with NVidea chipsets. I have the flicker also which makes playing this game impossible.

Edited on 10/29/2009 at 9:55:26 PM PST

[Post New]by limetart on Nov 12, 09 12:12 AM
I have the flicker problem too. I have a GeForce 9800GT video card and 64bit Vista. A few of my graphics programs do not work with 64bit systems at all. You can choose to work in 32bit mode but I haven't figured out how to do this to test that idea.

BadWhippet
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by BadWhippet on Nov 14, 09 4:41 PM
Me too. I have the very latest nVidia drivers (191.07 WHQL certified from nVidia) running on an nVidia GTX 260 in Vista 64-bit. Safecracker won't play either. It used to, but not any more (a workaround for that is to run it in windowed mode). Whatever updates have happened to the nVidia drivers is rendering some BF games unplayable. Stupid drivers!

KC_Granny
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by KC_Granny on Nov 15, 09 2:36 PM
Me, too. It flickered both on Vista 64-bit and now on WIndows 7 64-bit. I thought it was just me and have been looking a graphics cards. Anyone know if BF is going to fix this?

fecafo
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by fecafo on Nov 16, 09 5:39 PM
same as destination probably windows 7 issue. Guess I will go for another game credit

[Post New]by CR34M3 on Nov 18, 09 10:40 PM
I managed to find a fix for Destination Treasure Island - I was experiencing flickering on all the menus. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit with two ATi HD4870s.

Disabling the ATi CrossFire and therefore only using one GPU stopped the flickering. I believe this will also work if SLi is disabled for nVidia cards.

Luckily one GPU is enough to run these type of adventure games.

[Post New]by snow_flake72 on Nov 21, 09 2:53 PM
I had the same problem. I run Vista and have Nvidia ge force 7300. I ran a windows update and downloaded a recommended update to my video card. Since then I can play the game with out the flicker.

dcubed
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by dcubed on Dec 10, 09 5:49 PM
I'm having the dreaded flicker, too. I'm in contact with cs, but so far nothing has worked. Before contacting cs I disabled aero (Vista 64 bit), put Secrets and Return to Mysterious Island 2 in Win XP compatibility mode and downloaded the latest Geforce 120 drivers, Now I've also updated Adobe Flash and Shockwave and repaired my .Net from Microsoft. Otherwise, I have all the latest Vista upgrades.

I have just a cheap video card, but it should be plenty powerful for a game from 2006. I have 8GB of ram, so that should also be fine. My hard drive is pretty empty, so nothing like a swap file is interfering. I'm at a loss.

Secrets is a games that I've wanted to play for years, and was so excited to see it on . I'd really rather get it to run than have a new credit.

SirJaxx
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by SirJaxx on Dec 11, 09 9:23 PM
I am not sure if what I am getting would be considered a "Flicker", but it is the first time that I am getting mangled graphics, whereas I have to either rotate the scene or hit the WIndows button, and then click on the Games Icon to start playing again.

I guess I am just used to it, that I do almost subconciously, but now that you mention it, it is very annoying, especially when I am in the Middle of Dialog, and all the words go "JabberWocky" on me, (since I can't rotate the scene).

And it seems that this has only started since I upgraded to Windows7.

<Edit>
Ok, after I posted this, I thought I should maybe contact Dell, since they offer 24 hr assistance, and they were able to remotely install 31 new blocks of new BIOS in my Computer along with Updated Drivers, and I have just played the game again in it's entirety, without not One Glitch whatsoever!

So if you can contact your computer maker, and see what kind of assistance you can get, especially if recently upgraded to Windows7.

It was worth my while, I hope this helps!

Edited on 12/12/2009 at 2:17:54 AM PST

Go to: