Edited on 11/24/2015 at 6:33:20 AM PST

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Case Files: Ravenhearst Unlocked here

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Nov 24, 15 6:33 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Mystery Case Files: Ravenhearst Unlocked Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Mystery Case Files: Ravenhearst Unlocked Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Nov 24, 15 8:00 AM
I did the Beta (Demo may be different) on this and have been very much looking forward to the release. This does pick up where "Key" (didn't care for) left off. I will leave the description in general terms as I don't want to take away from the fun of discovery. Some parts were on the very simple end while others were a definite challenge. I do believe this runs truer to the original story than many of the others that had drifted in quality as at times I picked up that eerie vibe that the first and second gave me.

I know we will never get that original thrill again but this one will fit the bill well enough. Paying full price as I am oh so curious to continue. Out of the asylum and back to the insanity....

As with all games try before you buy.
Happy gaming

Edited on 11/25/2015 at 9:40:52 AM PST

gwenofala
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by gwenofala on Nov 24, 15 9:39 AM
Based on demo the time went by so quickly ! I want to buy it today but I will try my best to wait until Friday to see what kind of sale they have . Hopefully it will be a BOGO ! I left off at the Pac Man ? style puzzle...that one is going to beat me I just know it !
Any way I just know I'm going to enjoy playing this and discovering all the horrors !

forneymary
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by forneymary on Nov 24, 15 11:59 AM
i didnt even make it thru the demo of the beta. with the exception of advertisements for mcf games that proceeded it i saw little to distinguish it from the same old same old.

barelyberlee
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

[Post New]by barelyberlee on Nov 24, 15 12:24 PM
gwenofala wrote:Based on demo the time went by so quickly ! I want to buy it today but I will try my best to wait until Friday to see what kind of sale they have . Hopefully it will be a BOGO ! I left off at the Pac Man ? style puzzle...that one is going to beat me I just know it !
Any way I just know I'm going to enjoy playing this and discovering all the horrors !

You may not have to wait till Friday, Thursday is Thanksgiving here in the states and they usually have a sale on the Holidays

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 24, 15 3:24 PM
Hi all! Another in this series. I have all of the others and liked most of them. I'm not too sure about this one. The colors are muted and somewhat faded, but maybe it's because it's supposed to give you that "creepy" look...it didn't. Otherwise, graphics were the usual for this series. Game play was very good, no problems during the demo at all. Music was okay, but needed to be a bit more sinister to really help this game out. The sound FX were nothing special, except for an occasional scream here and there. Not much of anything in the way of character interaction or dialog, so the game seems very quiet.

HOPs are the usual. The scenes seemed more like junk piles to me, but the items were not all that hard to spot. Puzzles were extremely simple. Hint system was helpful, when it actually helped. Most of the time it just said "move along." I use the hint when I actually want it to tell me which direction to go in next. This one does only if there is something to do in that scene. I did not see that it transported you anywhere, but then again, I got bored and didn't complete the entire demo.

The only collectibles I found were lighthouses. Not sure what they mean, but they are large and very easy to spot. I didn't find anything else. Very disappointing and very much in need of something more.

When I beta tested this one, I gave it a 3. I think they put this one out way too quickly after the last one, which was a very nice game. It definitely needed a little more work. It was just boring for me. No challenge and nothing special. The story line is old and should probably be retired, or at least up graded. As I said, I didn't complete the entire demo, which is extremely unusual for me. I do not feel that this is CE worthy and I seriously doubt that I will get it even as an SE. There was nothing about this game that made me want to buy it. I'm sure there are those that will find this one quite enjoyable, but it isn't for me. No buy for me, but I will recommend it for beginners.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for. Thanks for the review.

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Nov 24, 15 6:08 PM
This is NOT MCF. I was so afraid of this. I'm going to end my years-long membership over this. I was pretty sure this was coming after the same dev took control of Dark Parables, ruining my favorite series. It appears they are gaining a monopoly.

The graphics are very poor compared to the earlier MCFs. The gameplay is typical from this dev - need something, find something, move on. It's like a funhouse maze I was suckered into once at a county fair. You couldn't go wrong because there was just one path. I felt ripped off.

This is supposed to be the cream of the crop, the absolute best. Compare it to Madame Fate. Well, there is no comparison.

Some of the puzzles are so easy they made me cringe.

I didn't finish Key to Ravenhearst because it was just so annoying. I doubt I will buy this game.

jonah11
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by jonah11 on Nov 24, 15 7:30 PM
I agree with Jurrine. MCF was always one of my favorite developers. After this dev ruined Dire Grove I am about ready to give up on them. The first two Ravenhearst were so much better. It would be nice to stick the original story lines.

Nefersitra
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by Nefersitra on Nov 25, 15 7:01 AM
I preferred Ravenhearst Unlocked to Key to Ravenhearst as I found the storyline more engaging.

Personally, I prefer Eipix to Elephant Games but that was because I found the second Dire Grove game and the Mystery Trackers game with the Owlman that Elephant did at about the same time so similar (both used the hand drawn deductions for example) and at least Eipix manage to keep the "feel" of the game different to Dark Parables.

But I do agree with other players though, the overall quality is no-where near as good as when Big Fish produced the MCF games. I miss the live action cut-scenes and the humour in the Detective's observations. The hints to the next game in the series, however vague, were fun and the storylines were meatier

What game did I just played?!

[Post New]by Bluekaminari on Nov 25, 15 8:07 AM
(some minor spoilers are hidden)
Well, I just finished Ravenhearst Unlocked...
I didn't like Key to Ravenhearst at all and I hoped this one would be at least a little better... In a way, it was, as the game was a bit less boring (or maybe I got this feeling as I did not prepare myself for something wonderful), and there was a plot... but I am still searching the real connections with the other Ravenhearst games until Escape from Ravenhearst (don't tell me about the twins... Some game scenarists should replay Return to Ravenhearst...). I am also seriously wondering if I played a real MCF game, or a new chapter of some random fantasy series. I mean, fighting spirits with a magic staff?! In a medieval city?! Seriously?!
Please stop butchering the Ravenhearst franchise! And bring back our dear old MCF games!

Edited on 11/25/2015 at 8:18:09 AM PST

kaitlinn
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by kaitlinn on Nov 25, 15 1:45 PM
Bravo to the developers! Great game...but I still would really like to know what the "don't asks" do...

dog2007
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by dog2007 on Nov 25, 15 4:19 PM
Though I still have some questions (like what happened to Rose and how the girls became Dalamars) I enjoyed the game

Everything played well from the music to the flow to the story....I'd have kept the morphs and added other "secret" achievements like the 'Lock Your Car' and 'Blast from the Past' in the Keys game....but the puzzles and HOS were great IMHO

But I also think this game finally closed the book on RH....unless Epix and BF can put together some storyline recap as I tried to do in my thread on the Keys forum then I think it's time to move onto another exciting adventure in the MCF series and tackle a whole new opponent

The only thing I will say is PLEASE show the HOS in the guide (this time it wasn't a problem because there wasn't an achievement for completing ALL HOS without a skip but other games and I think others in this series as well have them and one scene the item was too small to see)

kbau
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by kbau on Nov 26, 15 7:12 AM
If the game would work this would be a great game. I loved the series. However, this game has too many technical problems that I am not giving it a good review. Even after the update my game does not run properly. For example I can pick up two items from my inventory, It won't let me put an item back. I cannot even break the rocks with the hammer.

donamae222
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by donamae222 on Nov 26, 15 2:21 PM
Are they working on a fix for the tech problems? I really want to buy but waiting till the problems solved. Only hear crickets.

nightkat1
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by nightkat1 on Nov 26, 15 6:25 PM
Although this game's "feel" is slightly different from the originals, I felt it was a good game, overall. (The music was there). I absolutely love the "super puzzles". I'm assuming these are "reserved" for this series as I never see them in other games. This is such an improvement over last year's MCF which was done by another developer. I haven't been purchasing many HOPA games recently, but I'm glad I purchased this one. I've enjoyed my Thanksgiving gift.

huffpatsy
Herring
Herring
301 Posts

[Post New]by huffpatsy on Nov 28, 15 8:44 AM
I was most disappointed in MCF, these last two games were the pits. I won't give up on MCF but I would like to see something better before I buy their games in the future.

arthurC
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
424 Posts

[Post New]by arthurC on Nov 28, 15 9:18 AM
The thing about any new MCF game, is that it’s up against all the previous games in the MCF series, and not simply against ‘all the rest’.

Compared to the best of all the run-of-the-mill games we see so much of on Big Fish, it stands up very well .. amazing graphics, great game play etc .. what more could we want? But as a ‘Ravenhearst’ game .. I thought it was very disappointing. Slightly better than ‘Key to Ravenhearst’ (which was so dire I didn’t even bother completing it) .. but simply not in the same league as the previous ones.

It’s hard to put ones finger on why because it is certainly a beautifully crafted game .. but I felt it lacked the cleverness, the subtlety, the menace, and the dark humour of it’s predecessors. ‘Intense psychological thriller’ it certainly wasn’t! It just got silly.

Which leaves reviewers in a bit of a quandary ..

It would be unfair to give it a bad review.. but I was so disappointed that the much highlight of my gaming year turned out to be yet another Eipix all bangs-bells-and-whistles rollercoaster, I’m disinclined to give it 5 stars either.
So I’ve settled on a 3.

ediegamer
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by ediegamer on Nov 28, 15 3:40 PM
Soooo much better than "key"!!!

jaybird3939
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by jaybird3939 on Nov 29, 15 2:00 AM
I rarely give reviews and even more rarely give negative ones. I have been an MCF Freak since the first Ravenhearst, and then even more so with Return to Ravenhearst. I didn't care for "Keys", but thought maybe Eipix was having a bad day. I love their Final Cut series. Unlocked could have been a game written for any series. Other than the fact that they mentioned Ravenhearst and Dalimar frequently, I would have not connected it with the Ravenhearst series. We all get that Alister wants immortality, it mentions it frequently, but it just didn't connect to previous puzzles well. I could not enjoy this little adventure nearly as much as I hoped, especially towards the end of the game. Some of the puzzles were incomprehensible to me, and others were so easy, a young child could figure them out. In the bonus game. the "Super Puzzle" didn't make any sense, and the last regular puzzle didn't work right either. Although I have played much worse games, I had a very high bar set for MCF, and I don't think they got anywhere near it. One other reviewer said they missed the snarky remarks and I have to admit i agree. Also missing the morphing objects. It just was not the same good, tear my hair out difficult, takes me the better part of 2 weeks to finish, puzzle I expected. I had saved my game credits in hope BF did a 2 for 1 deal. This was my first choice. I'll have to judge more carefully next time. Hope you don't let my review influence you and you enjoy the game.

Go to: