bfgFlounder
9,490 Posts

Trapped: The Abduction comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Oct 27, 09 2:07 AM
Here is what our reviewer thought of Trapped: The Abduction. Post your own thoughts about the game in this thread and join the conversation!

Comments:
Trapped: The Abduction is certainly not a game for those who are a bit faint of heart when it comes to suspense. You play an amnesiac woman who knows nothing but the fact that she has been kidnapped and awoke in the trunk of a car. It’s up to you to find out who you are and escape…but your kidnapper is watching, and taunting you all along the way. The locations are well designed and very creepy, and they set an oppressive atmosphere that really sets the tone. Objects are scattered and hidden decently well, but are not usually blended into surroundings…you won’t find a faint image of an object made transparent and hidden in a window, for example. The cut scenes are spine tingling enough for Halloween, mostly due to the kidnappers dialogue and bank of monitors, and some of the puzzles are pretty creepy, but there is no gore or overt occultism, physical torture, or other visual excesses. The creepiness is purely psychological. If you are looking for a creepy game for the Halloween season, this is a good choice!

Game Modes:
Trapped: The Abduction only offers an untimed mode.

Depth:
This is a medium length game that should take most players about 2-4 hours to complete.

Similar to:
This game is very similar in style and feel to Lost in the City.

Difficulty level:
Trapped: The Abducted is a little on the easy side, but not too easy. Both experienced players and those new to the genre should enjoy it.

The walkthrough can be found by clicking here.

Reviewed by R.R.

Edited on 10/27/2009 at 4:30:41 PM PST

Re:Trapped: The Abduction comments and reviews

[Post New]by EcclesCakes on Oct 27, 09 3:12 AM
Well, this sure isn't a game I'll play with my 9 year old grandson! The theme is dark and quite a bit mysterious. The trapped girl doesn't even know her name. The game moves along nicely, with staged hints (rechargable) and interaction - almost too easy. Still, a very good design. Objects are relevant. Voice acting is creepy and well done, adding to the atmosphere. Graphics are mediocre, and items sometimes hidden in the darkness (a slice of toast). An inventory backpack has a lot of slots. Still in the hour trial, I finished about one-third of the game, looking at the walkthrough. I'm curious to know where the storyline is going, but not so much as to buy the game. It's too claustrophic in the locale, too dark in a literal sense. Overall, 3 of 5 thumbs up.

Edited on 10/27/2009 at 3:14:58 AM PST

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,626 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Oct 27, 09 4:17 AM
Normally I really struggle to find objects against dark backgrounds but I have only used two hints in the whole of my hour trial. I would say that I am about 1/3 rd of the way through if the inventory box size is anything to go by. I do not want to check the walkthrough to find out as I want to beat that kidnapper myself. .

Off to purchase now.

ETA

Ok I have finished it and escaped ... now I need answers to her memory and teeth and I want to go back and nail that kidnapper's hide.

Oh by the way it took me about 3 1/2 hours and I think I used 5 hints (one because I was too impatient to look any more. ) I think it was well worth the credit.

C

Edited on 10/27/2009 at 7:28:19 AM PST

flo314ca
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

[Post New]by flo314ca on Oct 27, 09 4:29 AM
cherbtoo wrote: I want to beat that kidnapper myself[/b]. .

Off to purchase now.

Me too! Loved this demo. Usually I'm the one that hovers over the skip button whenever there's dialogue but I didn't mind it so much in this game. Turned off the sound cuz it was creeping me out!

Going to beat that kidnapper too! Using my credit now!

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,239 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Oct 27, 09 4:33 AM
I like this very much. it is fairly simple but that compensates for darkness and fuzzy graphics.

The story is dark and scary and not for kids or the squemish. The mysterious villain is menacing. The heroine is smart.

Scenes are dirty and seamy junk piles of objects. Most of the lists include multiples of at least some items. When I saw the list with a multiple of bolts I thought I'd never find them in the dark and fuzzy scene but I did and without a Hint for them. I did use Hints. If the graphics were not fuzzy I probably would have needed no Hints at all. The Hints renew in good time, not too slow or too fast. Too much clicking results in a rapid screen refresh.

This is mostly a basic HOG but each section ends with an interactive part where you will need to collect items to fix something. This is like the treat for your trick.

In time for Halloween, this is a dark and scary game but i enjoyed the Demo. I can't give it full approval because of the fuzzy graphics. Oh how I wish they were sharper! Still, this is an interesting game that i would like to see through to the end. I will hold off a bit though as we seem to be having a wealth of HOGs lately and others have sharp graphics.

prchalpn
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,116 Posts

[Post New]by prchalpn on Oct 27, 09 4:42 AM
I agree with everything said about the game. I really like it. But it's a bit too easy. So I'm torn if I should buy or not. I want to see the ending but want a game that I can spend at least 4 hrs on.

kishimojun
Stingray
Stingray
4,534 Posts

[Post New]by kishimojun on Oct 27, 09 5:12 AM
prchalpn wrote:So I'm torn if I should buy or not. I want to see the ending but want a game that I can spend at least 4 hrs on.

In that case, pass on it. Too many of us have gotten to almost exactly 1/3 through in the hour demo.

That said, I liked this game well enough to buy it and just *had* to play it through to the end. I didn't use the walkthrough at all (which is a huge plus for me - if I need a walkthrough, I won't buy it).

There are a few flaws here and there. I caught one typo (not bad for 3 hours), most of the objects were to scale and in sensible places, but not all (a foot long safety pin in one scene and a mousetrap affixed to a wall near the ceiling in another), and the psycho only has a very limited number of comments to make.

On the whole, however I really, really liked this game! It is scary and creepy and a few places made me jump in my chair. The plot made sense and had no internal contradictions. It definitely borrowed heavily from Saw, but it isn't Saw. It was very well worth my $6.99.

prchalpn
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,116 Posts

[Post New]by prchalpn on Oct 27, 09 5:19 AM
Thanks kishimojun, I think I will. You help me make the right decision.

kayjay97
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by kayjay97 on Oct 27, 09 5:28 AM
Like most people I got well over 1/3 of the way thru. I did like the story line and if I purchased this game it would be only for that. IMHO, it was very easy even in the dark areas. Another game I must ponder about buying just for the story line

Poppa47
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,489 Posts

[Post New]by Poppa47 on Oct 27, 09 5:35 AM
this looks like a game wherein once the end of the game is reached, that it's best to let it sit for a few weeks before a replay. I get the feeling that most of the objects that need to be found will be repeaters and certainly the puzzle part needed to complete each scene will be repetitious. The game creator is hooking the player into buying just to see how the game will end and if Helene wins or loses. Wouldn't it be something if she loses???

kishimojun
Stingray
Stingray
4,534 Posts

[Post New]by kishimojun on Oct 27, 09 5:52 AM
I have just found out that the objects you need to find do vary from one playing to the next.

Also, and I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned before as it is such a major bugaboo for so many players here, this game is untimed.

redneck57
Catfish
Catfish
1,606 Posts

[Post New]by redneck57 on Oct 27, 09 6:20 AM
It's creepy and sinister I just want to smack the kidnapper ...I love this game...bought it as soon as I finished the demo

janspack
Herring
Herring
303 Posts

[Post New]by janspack on Oct 27, 09 6:36 AM
Have to agree with the majority - had to buy the game after the trial. I like this genre of game - more than an every day HOG with extra things to think about and work out for yourself. I was also happy that there weren't 100s of irrelevant or repetitive puzzles between the levels. Perhaps that's why this game seemed a bit shorter than some. I'd rather have a short game of good quality like this one than a long, boring one!

I'm hoping from the ending that there may be a sequel??

Jan

Sinsaint
Clownfish
Clownfish
635 Posts

[Post New]by Sinsaint on Oct 27, 09 6:37 AM
I have only minimal complaints. If I play a HOG I expect only to find listed items. When I play IHOG I would prefer having to collect the interactive items and use them later on. With this game your interactive items are used immediately so you don't have to put much thought into what item is needed or how to use them.

The story line seems creepy enough, especially right before Halloween. That being said, who says "willies" when a mad man has kidnapped you? I understand the need to keep it clean to attract more people but for me it actually makes me think twice about purchasing. If I'm buying a game geared toward adults I want to see the adults talk like adults. And why is she so worried about hand rails? Seriously? A mad man is trying to kill her and she's fixing the place up so she doesn't fall down and get a what?... a Boo-Boo? I thought the game had more potential than what I saw.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,462 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Oct 27, 09 6:40 AM
I think this games strength is in the story and voice acting.
The graphics are borderline and the gameplay is fairly easy.

If it was not for wanting to find out what happens I probably would have passed on this game but I am glad I purchased it- it kept me engrossed for the entire 3.5 hours it took me to play.

Up until the ending you felt like you were trying to escape each room to move on.

chicobird
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by chicobird on Oct 27, 09 7:06 AM
Big Fish is going to break me. heee I am well over my 6 this month. Too many great games. Always read the comments and reviews on a game, You people are great. Had to get this one too, well going to be a long winter and with the days getting shorter, getting darker earlier, good way to spend the evening. I usually just read the forums and don't comment too much, figured maybe it's time to get to know all better. thanks

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Oct 27, 09 7:16 AM
I thought this was pretty EZ ****-wise, I only used a hint once b/c the blood bag did not look like a blood bag but a fat red pen or a red test tube. Seemed to refill fast enough. This one I didn't mind the helicoptering too much b/c it wasn't one of those games that's all hovering to see what happens next, tho it did irk me that I knew what parts were needed, say, to fix the furnace, but they were unclickable till I found & clicked on the ? & Helene told me what to do. I liked that no scene had repeated itself as far as I got in the demo (just finished bathroom). You rarely get a HOG that does that. Even with the creepy dark atmosphere the scenes weren't overly dark, so stuff was EZ to find.

I thought it was rather stupid to have Helene threaten the kidnapper re: cops....way to rile up the pyscho holding ya hostage, honey LOL

I looked at the walkthru when I finished the demo to see how long it was & I don't see anything regarding A) how she lost her memory (& her teeth) or B ) why she was kidnapped. So I hope this isn't going to have a lame ending to it.

Still wondering if the creepy psychotic thing is good or bad but I'm thinking about buying this one if someone else who did can tell me if it has a stupid ending or not?

Edited on 10/27/2009 at 7:19:42 AM PST

kishimojun
Stingray
Stingray
4,534 Posts

[Post New]by kishimojun on Oct 27, 09 7:18 AM
Depends on whether you consider an obvious ploy for a sequel stupid, I guess.

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Oct 27, 09 7:21 AM
So no wrap-up explanation, huh?

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,462 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Oct 27, 09 7:23 AM
scarlet_11dy6 wrote:So no wrap-up explanation, huh?

The walkthrough pretty much tells the ending
So do not read last part of walkthrough if you do not want to know.

Go to: