riefer
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

For mature audiences?

[Post New]by riefer on Nov 24, 15 5:06 PM
I skipped Escape from Ravenhearst because it had a warning that it was pretty gruesome, if I remember. Is this the same? Anyone who's finished it, how bad is it (horror-wise)?

CelticCoco
Clownfish
Clownfish
514 Posts

Re:For mature audiences?

[Post New]by CelticCoco on Nov 24, 15 5:38 PM
Haven't finished it yet, but didn't see much gore in the last one, either.

CelticCoco

begwood1
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
442 Posts

[Post New]by begwood1 on Nov 24, 15 6:46 PM
Escape from ... wasn't gory per se, but it had pervasive themes of child abuse and medical weirdness. I'd be surprised if this went as far as Escape did.

riefer
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by riefer on Nov 24, 15 7:00 PM
Thanks for the responses! Maybe I'll try Escape as well then. I remember the warning was in big, bold, red letters so I assumed it was pretty bad.

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

For mature audiences?

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Nov 24, 15 7:19 PM
riefer wrote:I skipped Escape from Ravenhearst because it had a warning that it was pretty gruesome, if I remember. Is this the same? Anyone who's finished it, how bad is it (horror-wise)?

Yes it was gruesome in away.

Firstly you find your own grave Then there is the spank puppet, ( Not nice & quite sad) but after that you get to squeeze mumma's pimples & collect her toenails and other stuff. all in poor taste but rather fun if you have a sense of humour LOL I do & mine is very bad

Hespera
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

[Post New]by Hespera on Nov 24, 15 7:44 PM
jojo - It could have been worse. It could have been squeeze the puppet and spank mama...

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Nov 24, 15 8:25 PM
There were times playing Escape from Ravenhearst that I appreciated the warning...and had to walk away from the game for a bit.

That said, I DO love a game that has nightmare potential as much as I liked the scary books I snuck under the covers to read when I was a kid.

In the beta version of the this game, I only came against one thing that was really objectionable, but, it was in fitting with the story and characters.

Unfortunately, the Beta ended before the game did....and I am on pins and needles to discover what more happens!

[Post New]by EccentricChick on Nov 24, 15 10:41 PM
Eh, about as much as any crime show? But that depends on the person. Escape was pretty 'effed' up though story wise. Brilliant, but really twisted. In all honesty, I found Shadow Lake to be more creepy. While IMHO it was the worst of the MCF series, there was something about it that creeped me out more than any of the Ravenhearst saga have managed to.

dog2007
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by dog2007 on Nov 25, 15 12:20 PM
IMHO This game didn't really need the warning...I mean it wasn't worse than the Keys

Escape is the only game I refuse to play...it is just disturbing

Kathilisa
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by Kathilisa on Nov 26, 15 6:41 AM
I am interested in this thread - thanks to those who have contributed.

I loved the early Ravenhearst games, but found Escape to be truly horrible.

It wasn't that it I found it scary as such or that the themes were improper...
what I hated was the grungy scenery, particularly the antique and grubby looking medical equipment, which freaked me out

I have only done a trial of Key...and couldn't tell which way it was going to go,
so I'm following this thread with interest, mind you there's nothing to lose trying the demo is there? Except that you don't know what's going to happen later on.....

riefer
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by riefer on Nov 27, 15 9:26 AM
@Kathilisa, I'm the one who originally posted, and I played Keys and didn't find it gruesome at all, really. Nothing stands out in my mind as "gross", although I'm sure there were a few minor things that I'm forgetting. I got through it easily as far as anything freaky or gross (or scary, really).

lyrialice
Elephantfish
Elephantfish
55,156 Posts

[Post New]by lyrialice on Nov 28, 15 8:10 AM
The warning may have been given for an oath uttered at the street fair. A word that is no longer PC in that context but is uttered very often in the street today outside of the original meaning

lyrialice
Elephantfish
Elephantfish
55,156 Posts

[Post New]by lyrialice on Nov 28, 15 8:30 AM
There is also the Ouija Board.

Nefersitra
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by Nefersitra on Nov 28, 15 11:02 AM
I wondered if the warning wasn't for the "on-screen" murders/deaths - the MCF games have never really shied away from having murders but this is the first time I can remember them happening in the cut-scenes.

Go to: