tinor
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
3 Posts

This Game Is Extremely Offensive!

[Post New]by tinor on Oct 27, 09 8:20 AM
I am surprised and shocked with the subject matter of this game. Big Fish is more of a family game site, and should be ashamed to offer this. It should be removed from this site.

Poppa47
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,489 Posts

Re:This Game Is Extremely Offensive!

[Post New]by Poppa47 on Oct 27, 09 8:48 AM
I agree only partially with Tinor that BFG is a family oriented site. There are a ton of games where the subject matter involves murder and all sorts of intrigue, even when the game protaginist is cartoonish. RTR, the most beloved of HOGs, has multiple murders exposed and no one found it offensive. I'd draw the line at rape and excessive physical torture in a game. Otherwise, should the thread imply that novels and movies using kidnapping as a theme also be taboo subject matter??

sunnny
Manatee
Manatee
3,945 Posts

[Post New]by sunnny on Oct 27, 09 8:54 AM
I agree that you either love or totally hate this game.
I personally love it, but understand those who don*t.
I do not agree, however that it should be taken off the site,
just because you find it offensive.
You dont like it, dont play it.
(Spanish inquisition?)

prchalpn
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,132 Posts

[Post New]by prchalpn on Oct 27, 09 8:58 AM
I agree with poppa and sunny. You have to keep in mind it's a game and you don't have to play it or let kids play. You are in controll.

BTW Welcome to the pond

Edited on 10/27/2009 at 8:59:32 AM PST

slm1948
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
490 Posts

[Post New]by slm1948 on Oct 27, 09 8:59 AM
Zzzzzz

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Oct 27, 09 10:28 AM
No it's not. I found it all very silly. But that's OK cos lots of HOG games have a silly premise. The voice over was laughable. AND not to resurrect an old disagreement, abductions are very rare - appalling of course and I would kill anyone who hurt my kids - but a topic like bullying is out of order cos bullying in school or the workplace is actually very common. I simply didn't like the grainy graphics so won't be buying.

Seji
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

[Post New]by Seji on Oct 27, 09 11:02 AM
I think it's a great game and DO NOT agree with those that are offended by it.

If you don't like it - don't play it. No one twisted your arm or made you play the game.

It's not fair to the rest of us that like it that we should have to bend to your will. There are plenty of other games for you to play.

If you don't want your kids playing it - don't let them. You're the parent.

Sheesh. Stuff on television is 100 times worse than this. Do you watch CSI or Criminal Minds?

You really are out of line.

Thanks.

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

This Game Is Extremely Offensive!

[Post New]by sassylassie on Oct 27, 09 11:05 AM
tinor wrote:I am surprised and shocked with the subject matter of this game. Big Fish is more of a family game site, and should be ashamed to offer this. It should be removed from this site.

Like others said, Big Fish would not put out games to offend people and/or to hurt people and neither would Gogii games. Gogii games is a very large game company who also makes games for the home consoles such as the WII and Playstation. They only put this game out to have some Halloween fun and so did Big Fish. I guess you don't like Halloween either because people dress up in gory outfits. If you don't like the game like others said then don't play it. Big Fish is a huge game company and I am sure they know what games to put out and what not to put out. Telling them they should be ashamed for putting this out is wrong on your part. They don't need people coming on here and telling them "They should be ashamed"! Ashamed of what? Having a little bit of Halloween fun? Geez Tinor lighten up. When I saw at the very beginning it was Gogii Games, I didn't even bother with the hour demo. I bought it straight up cause I know I am getting an excellent game.

Sassy

bfgBering
Clownfish
Clownfish
851 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBering on Oct 27, 09 11:13 AM
Hi Fishies!

Just wanted to take a moment to remind the pond that everyone is entitled to post their opinion on our games, whether they like something or not. Not everyone is going to like or agree with every game, and we enjoy hearing their comments just as much as we enjoy hearing what people like about games. All feedback is welcome!

bfgBering

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Oct 27, 09 11:22 AM
Tinor,

I'd like to know what you find so offensive about it. I've played about half the demo and didn't find anything particularly offensive about it at all. Of course, it's always possible to run into something later on in the game, but I don't expect to. I actually like it and will probably purchase it because I LOVE mysteries! I also like the attempt at realism in the game and the scenes I've seen so far. Even so, it is a fictional story. What specifically is there about it that makes you think it should be removed from the site?

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Oct 27, 09 11:37 AM
I would like to add something to my post. Please then DO NOT play the Silent Hill series. Killing zombie nurses in the hospital, werewolves on the outside. That one I had to quit. That one I had to wear a seat belt for jumping out of the darn chair so much. Gruesome! Heart failure a 100 times over on that one. Seeing the screenshots from this game kind of remind me of it.

Sassy

Wardragon
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by Wardragon on Oct 27, 09 1:13 PM
I can see why some would find this game offensive. It's about being abducted and trying to escape a killer. The subject matter can be seen as insensitive. It's disturbing rather than glorifying violence, though. Personally I don't want to see BF turn into a site that puts out either type of game.

It looks like it has good graphics, but I've decided not to purchase it. Not only because of the subject matter, but because most of what it has to offer can be found in other games already.

Edited on 10/27/2009 at 1:16:02 PM PST

CYNTHIA
Stingray
Stingray
5,782 Posts

[Post New]by CYNTHIA on Oct 27, 09 1:13 PM
I did the trial and liked it. I will buy this one! Escaping from your kidnapper, in my opinion, is not something to be shocked or ashamed about. As some have said if you don't like the game don't buy it. I did that; didn't like Redrum so didn't buy, the same as other games I don't like that don't have murder or kidnapping in them. Everyone has a different opinion and is free to state it.

Wardragon; Should they stop making films or writing books about these subjects also?

Welcome to the Pond; tinor.

Edited on 10/27/2009 at 1:15:16 PM PST

NONONONONO
Manatee
Manatee
4,085 Posts

[Post New]by NONONONONO on Oct 27, 09 1:19 PM
is it just me...or does the chick on the picture look like Bella? lol

onemeg
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by onemeg on Oct 27, 09 1:24 PM
Seji wrote:
If you don't like it - don't play it. No one twisted your arm or made you play the game.

If you don't want your kids playing it - don't let them. You're the parent.

My thoughts exactly!

Wardragon
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by Wardragon on Oct 27, 09 1:51 PM
CYNTHIA wrote:
Wardragon; Should they stop making films or writing books about these subjects also?

I'm not sure why are you even comparing a game to films or books. Films and books are usually sensitive about the issue and deliver a point. Games are pointless time-filler that glorify things without moral consequences.

Would you play a game about shaking babies until they are dead? That one existed also, and people offered the same arguments about why it was a such great game (happens on tv, in books, so why not?).

YMMV, obviously, but please don't try to call into question how people can be offended by it 'because violence already exists in t.v or movies or this or that'. Of course they can.

prpldva
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
48,548 Posts

[Post New]by prpldva on Oct 27, 09 1:53 PM
NONONONONO wrote:is it just me...or does the chick on the picture look like Bella? lol

LOL- You are not alone. Hubby thought I was nuts when I kept insisting!

kishimojun
Stingray
Stingray
4,534 Posts

[Post New]by kishimojun on Oct 27, 09 2:00 PM
bfgBering wrote:Hi Fishies!

Just wanted to take a moment to remind the pond that everyone is entitled to post their opinion on our games, whether they like something or not. Not everyone is going to like or agree with every game, and we enjoy hearing their comments just as much as we enjoy hearing what people like about games. All feedback is welcome!

bfgBering

My issue is not with tinor or wardragon not liking the game. I take serious issue with anyone saying: "It should be removed from this site." That goes beyond opinion into a plea for censorship.

Edited on 10/27/2009 at 2:00:34 PM PST

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Oct 27, 09 2:02 PM
prpldva wrote:
NONONONONO wrote:is it just me...or does the chick on the picture look like Bella? lol

LOL- You are not alone. Hubby thought I was nuts when I kept insisting!

Who's Bella?

Anyways the mannequin we had to dress up reminded me of Lurch from the Adams Family.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Oct 27, 09 2:24 PM
The crime is certainly offensive. I don't think there can be any arguement about that. The heroine, however, is smart and nervy and continues to surprise the villain. I like that very much! She has access to mutiple weapons though she does not seem to be keeping any of them (I'd be loaded up). She does not lose her nerve and outwits the villain in every scene. I like that!

The woman does not appear to be harmed apart from having lost her memory. She is resourceful I am certain that, in the end, she will prevail. These are the good things about the game. It does show us that we can stand up and do something even when the situation is dark. This is a positive message.

I have only played the Demo so i do not know the outcome or what will happen later.

Go to: