ml011384
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

The twins?

[Post New]by ml011384 on Nov 25, 15 2:31 AM
Okay, I still need to finish the game and yes I might be nitpicking, but this is MCF, so I believe not nitpicking is justified.

Anyhow, aren't the twins supposed to be Sommersets? We learned about this in Return to Ravenhearst (the news clipping where Rose's father was looking for them but to no avail). How did they suddenly become Dalimars???

Nefersitra
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

Re:The twins?

[Post New]by Nefersitra on Nov 25, 15 6:46 AM
I don't think it's been explained how or why, but it was revealed in Key to Ravenhearst that Charles Dalimar was the twins' father not Mr Somerset.

There is also implications that Rose and Charles were involved in a relationship in both Key to Ravenhearst and Ravenhearst Unlocked - although they come from the Twins so they could be wrong.

[Post New]by Bluekaminari on Nov 25, 15 7:25 AM
I thought about it too when I played Key to Ravenhearst, and that part of the plot (well, if you can really call that a plot) made me really mad. It's like forgetting everything about the first games, and that's ruining the whole franchise...
I just finished Ravenhearst Unlocked, and since the story ends up having nothing to do with Ravenhearst Manor anymore, I guess it's better to forget about it and just mourn the MCF games we loved... RIP Mystery Case Files...

read61
Salmon
Salmon
2,775 Posts

[Post New]by read61 on Nov 25, 15 7:49 AM
What I wondered about is how they could even be alive, never mind grown up. Weren't they dead in RTR? I thought I found their bodies and saved their souls. Next thing you know, Rose will turn out to be alive, maybe Emma also. I guess I shouldn't expect logic from a computer game but some continuity would be nice. At least we know Charles and Victor are dead as we found their skeletons in the closet in KTR. At least I think we did......

Edited on 11/25/2015 at 7:50:01 AM PST

[Post New]by Bluekaminari on Nov 25, 15 8:01 AM
read61 wrote:What I wondered about is how they could even be alive, never mind grown up. Weren't they dead in RTR? I thought I found their bodies and saved their souls. Next thing you know, Rose will turn out to be alive, maybe Emma also. I guess I shouldn't expect logic from a computer game but some continuity would be nice. At least we know Charles and Victor are dead as we found their skeletons in the closet in KTR. At least I think we did......

We brought back Emma, Rose and the twins to life at the end of Escape from Ravenhearst... But that still doesn't justify the twins' sudden changes of identity and mind...
I don't know about the time logic, and I don't want to think about it. I have already been too disappointed by the new games to pay attention about other weird points of the plot...

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Nov 25, 15 9:44 AM
The series was never the same after RTR. Everything that followed was a different series. I never saw any similarity after the first two. A point I accepted a long time ago. Life goes on.

[Post New]by ScillyGirl5 on Nov 25, 15 10:40 AM
The stories don't match up at all, I thought we freed Emma's, Rose's, and the twins' souls from the machines Charles had created.
Charles somehow conned Emma into marrying him, then he killed her, and hid her in the basement somewhere, where we find her and help her soul to be free.
Then he kidnapped Rose and the twins, who were introduced as being Mr Somerset's family. We eventually find them inside coffin type contraptions, through which Charles somehow uses their soul energy, to keep his failing body alive. We free all 3 Somersets, and their souls go to a better place. During the course of the game we learn there is a brother, named Victor, whom I always assumed was the "lovechild" of Charles and Rose, and born after he had abducted Rose and her twins. Victor was raised by Charles, to be Charles' 'handyman' of sorts. Victor inadvertently ends up in a time machine, and is transported about 100 years into the past, and I am guessing it was Victor, who built the elaborate set up, explaining why Charles was crazy, focusing mostly on his mother-issues. Alister has always been a crazy/malevolent presence in the back ground. Never did figure out exactly how Madame Fate fit into the story, other than that their fairground happened to be near the Dalimar residence somewhere.
It's been a very long time since I last played the original versions of the Ravenhearst series, but that's how I remember the story, the 2 newest installments just don't quite fit, no matter how I look at them, they're 'Ravenhearst-esque', but not really...

Nefersitra
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by Nefersitra on Nov 25, 15 2:14 PM
Bluekaminari is right as I remember.

Up to the end of EFR, the Ravenhearst storyline was fairly simple - Emma Ravenhearst was a young American teacher working in the UK. She met Charles Dalimar, a local gentleman, and they briefly dated. Charles proposed and Emma turned him down. Charles was building his manor and remaining friendly, Emma went to see the building project several times. Once Ravenhearst Manor was complete, Emma was suddenly taken very ill and Charles moved her to the Manor, employing Rose as her nursemaid. Rose and Emma became friends and they discovered that Charles had told Emma's family she was dead and he was very interested in Dark Magic. Scared, the two women plotted to escape. The original Ravenhearst game revealed Emma had died and her spirit was stuck in the house, by beating the game we freed her.

Madame Fate ran a carnival and she forsaw her own death. The investigation of this resulted in Madame's death (along with those of most of the performers); the killer was revealed as the spirit of Charles Dalimar who we'd also freed when we freed Emma.

In Return to Ravenhearst (RTR), the Queen sent the detective to investigate renewed hauntings at the Manor. Emma's ghost met us and pleaded with us to free the other spirits Charles was holding - Rose Somerset and her Daughters. We met Charles's elderly, living, Victor and in the underground rooms where he'd imprisoned Rose and the Twins was enough evidence to suggest that Charles had forced the Twins to call him Father (but they knew he was not their real Father) and Charles had raped Rose - leading to Victor's birth. At the end of the game, Charles's spirit was seemingly banished, Victor fled in a timemachine and the souls of Rose, Emma and the Twins were all free to move on.

Escape from Ravenhearst showed that Madame Fate and her Carnival were older than we suspected - both Charles and his mother had been part of her freakshow - and that Charles's father was dead but Charles believed that he had been imprisoned in the next cell at Manchester Asylum. At the end of EFR, Charles had somehow managed to bring himself, Emma, Rose and the Twins back to life - Charles and Victor died in the fire and the Master Detective and the others escaped. The Twins were still young girls and the game, like all MCF games, was set in the present time (well in 2011) so the fact that the Twins are now adults is perplexing.

dog2007
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by dog2007 on Nov 25, 15 4:34 PM
Nefersitra That's about what I have too

I also remember one of the women (I wanted to say Rose) was a descendent of the wife of the pirate in 13 Skulls

It's been a while since I've played the older games...and I don't play Escape but remember Charles' life story was told and it ended in flames

I think why the story seams to have broken is it has shifted from Charles to his father and the idea of immortality gained through human sacrifice

The twins aging quickly could be explained by the machines from Keys....I mean if Alister could return and his body be matured for him before his arrival then it stands to reason he could have done something to the twins...I mean Escape just ends with the four women being made real the Charles and Victor being killed in the fire...but with 5 visits to RH and a number of "connections" in the middle anyone would get lost trying to put all the pieces to this story together (I still think BF needs to collaborate with Epix and work out a story extra that explains everything from RH to now like the way you can download the original stories form series like Dark Tales so you can read it and see what really happened and what the game was based on)

ml011384
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by ml011384 on Nov 26, 15 12:37 AM
Nefersitra wrote:I don't think it's been explained how or why, but it was revealed in Key to Ravenhearst that Charles Dalimar was the twins' father not Mr Somerset.

There is also implications that Rose and Charles were involved in a relationship in both Key to Ravenhearst and Ravenhearst Unlocked - although they come from the Twins so they could be wrong.

Yeah, I recall it being said in Key to Ravenhearst that Charles was the father ... but I would expect us, as in the Master Detective, to be a bit more surprised with that fact. Or maybe the devs at Eipix forgot about that little detail.

Bluekaminari wrote:I thought about it too when I played Key to Ravenhearst, and that part of the plot (well, if you can really call that a plot) made me really mad. It's like forgetting everything about the first games, and that's ruining the whole franchise...
I just finished Ravenhearst Unlocked, and since the story ends up having nothing to do with Ravenhearst Manor anymore, I guess it's better to forget about it and just mourn the MCF games we loved... RIP Mystery Case Files...

Yeah, I was really annoyed with that detail when I played through Key, though I was keeping my fingers crossed that they would somehow explain it in future installments. Judging from Unlocked, I don't think they might explain this little detail.

And mourning I am. Though Ravenhearst Unlocked was much better than Key, it doesn't exactly feel like MCF anymore, to be honest.

read61 wrote:What I wondered about is how they could even be alive, never mind grown up. Weren't they dead in RTR? I thought I found their bodies and saved their souls. Next thing you know, Rose will turn out to be alive, maybe Emma also. I guess I shouldn't expect logic from a computer game but some continuity would be nice. At least we know Charles and Victor are dead as we found their skeletons in the closet in KTR. At least I think we did......

Judging from what we know by the end of Unlocked, Alister somehow absorbed Emma (if I remember correctly), so she might be dead. Rose however, if the twins' words are to believed, might turn out to be more of an antagonist than what we believed since RTR.

dog2007 wrote:I also remember one of the women (I wanted to say Rose) was a descendent of the wife of the pirate in 13 Skulls

That's something I don't remember. Proof that I'll have to go back and play 13 Skulls again.

dog2007
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by dog2007 on Nov 27, 15 10:47 AM
ml011384 wrote:

dog2007 wrote:I also remember one of the women (I wanted to say Rose) was a descendent of the wife of the pirate in 13 Skulls

That's something I don't remember. Proof that I'll have to go back and play 13 Skulls again.

It was in the bonus chapter and you had to collect the Gold Skulls

I still hope something is released that chronicles the happenings from Ravenherst to Unlocked so confusions can be cleared up

That said I'm pretty happy with the ending of this....though one Dalamar was still living I think so who knows....

ml011384
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by ml011384 on Nov 27, 15 8:48 PM
dog2007 wrote:
ml011384 wrote:

It was in the bonus chapter and you had to collect the Gold Skulls

I still hope something is released that chronicles the happenings from Ravenherst to Unlocked so confusions can be cleared up

That said I'm pretty happy with the ending of this....though one Dalamar was still living I think so who knows....

Yeah, this one wasn't too bad, much better than Key in my opinion. One Dalimar is still alive, and we still don't really know what's up with Rose.

marypenn
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

[Post New]by marypenn on Dec 1, 15 9:46 AM
I hope this is an okay place for this question. Besides the twins and other confusing parts, what about the royal Ravenhearst being evil? I figure he is in Europe because North America was not really settled when the story actually started. But why is that lineage evil but Emma is good?

pfalcioni
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by pfalcioni on Dec 1, 15 1:20 PM
" Never did figure out exactly how Madame Fate fit into the story, other than that their fairground happened to be near the Dalimar residence somewhere. "

Isn't the "Key" in Key to Ravenhearst Madame Fate's crystal ball? That's what Charles talks about going to get, I can't remember what the exact wording on the note is, but there's something about it being in the possession of a tarot card reader at a local carnival.

sqkylyndi
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by sqkylyndi on Dec 1, 15 8:10 PM
There is no use trying to make the story have any kind of sense. These devs have just thrown everything that happened before out the window to fit their story, throwing us dedicated fans a few nostalgia pieces like "Here, see how awesome we think the franchise is?!" The twins hated Charles, still wondering how Alistair came in the middle of all this as he just appeared in the second Fate game yet another doozy of a confuzer. The time line suggests Victorian steam punk era of the early 1900's or late 1800's but the detective is or was from the modern age. The girls should only be like what 13? 15? Also, they hated Charles. They never met Charles till they were like 7 so how is he the baby daddy. Again, they hated Charles, so why love Grandad?

They do love the detective for freeing their souls from the machine, and then saving them from the soul reaper? The soul collecter? The new machine from EFR. This was a good game on it's own though. Just had to forget it was a Ravenhearst game to begin with....Well, they killed the Ravenhearst story though, unless they drag out the Dalimar trapped in the storage room.

Go to: