bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

The Tudors comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Oct 28, 09 2:00 AM
Here is what our reviewer thought of The Tudors. Post your own thoughts about the game in this thread and join the conversation! Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Comments:
For players that are already addicted to the Showtime series, you’ll now be able to unravel a mystery when you immerse yourself within the extraordinary world of England’s hierarchy in this Interactive Hidden Object game. You’ll encounter most of your favorite characters from the series and even be able to see a side of them you may not have seen before. There is a good deal of dialogue within the game (both spoken and written), which gives a deep connection for the player and truly draws you in. Although game play is easier for advanced players, the randomized Hidden Object scenes will be different upon your second visit. The varying puzzle mini-games shouldn’t cause any headaches, but they may give even the most experienced players a bit of a challenge. In addition, the Hidden Object scenes can be dark in some instances, but overall, this game does a wonderful job of blending items with their surroundings so that they fit seamlessly. Travel back in time to explore Europe when pivotal changes were occurring and help uncover the truth in The Tudors!

Game Modes:
Players have the option to play in timed mode to earn points or opt out of the point system entirely in the untimed mode.

Depth:
Each of the 18 chapters within the game is filled with multiple hidden object scenes as well as puzzle mini-games, so an average player would be able to play for approximately 5 – 8 hours.

Similar to:
If you enjoyed historical fiction titles like Insider Tales: The Secret of Casanova, Midnight Mysteries: The Edgar Allan Poe Conspiracy or The Secrets of Da Vinci, then you will definitely enjoy the intrigue in The Tudors.

Difficulty level:
This is an easier Interactive Hidden Object game, so in addition to fans of the Showtime series, this title would be perfect for a beginning player or anyone who wants to hone their skills.

Reviewed by L.D.

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

Re:The Tudors comments and reviews

[Post New]by biomix on Oct 28, 09 4:30 AM
Nope. Not for me. The graphics are grainy and the lighting in certain rooms is light in some places and so dark in others. I can't find anything. And it's so quiet! I am not into the story line. I was bored and a little frustrated. I prefer when the characters have voices. So that's my opinion. Off to play HE 4.
Good day everyone

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Oct 28, 09 4:47 AM
Hmmm.....I don't know why folks are complaining about things being small, hard to find, or dark. I only have a 15" flatscreen b/c I don't want something the size of TV on my desk & had no issues like that at all. The 1st thing I do if a scene seems overly dark is tip the monitor forward a tad & scan the ceiling for HOs (seems like that was all I did at Gettysburg the 1st time I played Hidden Mysteries: Civil War). As long as the graphix are clear I think small HOs are more challenging.

I found The Tudors to be a really super-EZ HOG. I got up to Pontefract in the demo & I think the only time I needed a hint was when Elena was disguising herself at the Vatican b/c that was sort of a dark chamber & there was a stocking on the ceiling that I missed.

Medieval & Tudor England are my fav historical eras & I've been hoping a HOG would come out that not only portrayed the era but did it semi-accurately. I say "semi-accurately" b/c in my Tudors group we refer to The Tudors on Showtime as TTOS (That Travesty on Showtime LOL b/c even the costumes are inaccurate....Henry never wore puffy Elizabethan pants in his life TYVM). I like that they chose the Pilgrimage of Grace, the 1st serious rebellion Henry VIII faced in his reign (tho I was disappointed the demo ended just as poor old Robert Aske was about to be double-crossed by Henry). The character being named Elena was just one more gross inaccuracy; anyone with a Spanish name would never have been trusted by Henry after the Catherine of Aragon debacle! But Henry was rather paranoid toward the close of his reign & I could realistically see him getting someone to secretly spy for him, esp in light of the constant conflict with the papacy.

I know the developers are trying to capitalize on the popularity of the series, but I do wish I didn't have to look at JRMs bad portrayal of Henry & if they were going to use actors from the series where was the rather tasty Henry Cavill (Charles Brandon)? ROFL I did like that at least the scenes were period-believable esp in France & the storyline was feasible. I just thought it was too EZ of a HOG....but then I thought of the average IQ of The Tudors fanbase....meh whaddya want? LOL

Waffling on buying b/c of how EZ it was for me & having to look at JRM. I wish someone would do accurate & REAL historical HOGs from my fav timeframe b/c I'd be all over those if the quality was good.

kayjay97
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by kayjay97 on Oct 28, 09 5:37 AM
Personally, the game bored me. Even the story line didn't faze me. At least if the game is so so I like an intriguing storyline to get me to the next level.

Sad to say this one didn't do for me :-(

[Post New]by ham6848burg on Oct 28, 09 6:13 AM
Does not work correctly on my PC. The game is not for me. I uninstalled it after 5 minutes.

Edited on 10/28/2009 at 6:15:03 AM PST

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Oct 28, 09 6:24 AM
Some of the objects are small and not only hard to find sometimes impossible to click on. Got a bit tired of watching my cursor doing 360's.
The graphics are borderline acceptable in my book.
The game did have a good hint system so never got stuck- unless my cursor would not pick up an object of course.

I do not mind a lot of dialogue if done with voice acting but having to read and click through all that, I found I was not interested enough to absorb the information.

The puzzles were ok but nothing outstanding that I had got to yet in the 5 chapters I played.

The game is not terrible by any means but the flood of HOGs currently released means I have more choices so unfortunatley games like this get moved to the bottom of maybe purcase lists.

Smallhaven
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,220 Posts

[Post New]by Smallhaven on Oct 28, 09 6:35 AM
biomix wrote:Nope. Not for me. The graphics are grainy and the lighting in certain rooms is light in some places and so dark in others.

Exactly my thoughts. Managed about 10 minutes before I'd had enough. Uninstalled and will not attempt again.

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Oct 28, 09 8:31 AM
This could have been a decent HOG - the hint system, soundtrack, and even the story were okay (yes, lots of dialog but not that bad) - but the fuzzy graphics killed it for me. I play on a large (22"), hi-res monitor and it was just too darn grainy. I'll pass on this one.

kithain
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by kithain on Oct 28, 09 9:13 AM
"Nope. Not for me. The graphics are grainy and the lighting in certain rooms is light in some places and so dark in others. I can't find anything. And it's so quiet! I am not into the story line. I was bored and a little frustrated. "

Biomix, I totally agree. This game is not for me. I uninstalled it after playing 15 minutes of the demo. I really dislike games where the darkness and graininess of some scenes serves no purpose whatsoever except to obscure objects that need to be searched for. This game is definitely not one I want. Ick.

For those of you who enjoy the HOG's like this one, I'm glad you have a new game of this type to play. Good luck and have fun.

Lord_Lollipop
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by Lord_Lollipop on Oct 28, 09 12:19 PM
This game is even worse than the tv show. And that's really saying something.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Oct 28, 09 12:27 PM
Lord_Lollipop wrote:This game is even worse than the tv show. And that's really saying something.

LOL! I have not seen the show but the commercials look pretty bad to me. Looks like a bunch of young folk in fancy dress pretending to be historical characters and managing to be hysterical ones

bailey8877
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by bailey8877 on Oct 28, 09 1:48 PM
I hate to sound like a broken record, but when I played at a diff site I could only take 20 min. Way too much talking, reading , and no storyline. I really hate it when a game's characters look like a photo that someone keeps sliding in and out of the frame. The graphics are so dark and grainy that looking for things becomes irratating vs. fun.
This is just not worth any money.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Oct 28, 09 2:09 PM
Wow, another Hog...thank you BF. I demoed this one at another site, and I kinda enjoyed it. Items are a challenge to find, and it is just different enough to look at that I thought it was worth buying here. Then again, I like playing hogs every chance I get, and I can go through two or more when I am not working those nights. I appreciate BF listening to those of us who love, and buy hogs.

HighlandMax
Manatee
Manatee
3,824 Posts

[Post New]by HighlandMax on Oct 28, 09 4:02 PM
After 36 minutes of the demo, not sure if I'll get it or not. Didn't like that first mini game where you mixed the potions.......to me, the instructions were not at all clear as to just how to do it. I knew what to do, but not how to do it.......you only had two flasks and the chart showed to mix this one with that one and you get this color....that part I understood.......it just didn't click for me, and I skipped it. And then there was the candle. I lit it OK, but then what, you couldn't use it.....made no sense to me.
But, most likely I will buy the game.

katejoe999
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by katejoe999 on Oct 28, 09 4:19 PM
Hi all,
This one not for me either, have been far too spoiled by the good interactive games.
But when will the game developers give up penalising us for clicking around?? I hate swirling cursors or blanked out screens just cos I want to check things out.
Note to game makers! :-)

GoddessOdd
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by GoddessOdd on Oct 28, 09 6:49 PM
Maybe I should have read the intro, because I got stuck at 20 minutes...trying to fix broken things, which was kind of a hoot....I mean, here is a room full of broken stuff, and here are some parts...since I was't sure what anything was supposed to be, it was just a matter of guessing that "this kind of looks like that"...until I got to the last piece, I think it was supposed to be a metal handle of some sort, or maybe a door latch, who knows...as others have said before me, a little dark and grainy. The "Hint" very helpfully showed me all the things in the room that I had already fixed...clicked on them all again, but to no avail, so I quit...enough time wasted.

Sad, because I wanted to like the game.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Oct 28, 09 7:25 PM
great tv series.....boring game!

azmesa340
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by azmesa340 on Oct 28, 09 7:54 PM
Scenes are too dark, objects hard to see and when I got to the picture to re-arrange the puzzle pieces that did it - I had no idea what the picture was suppose to be. Where are the games like Dream Chronicles?

nancehere
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by nancehere on Oct 28, 09 8:16 PM
English history has always been a favorite subject for me and this HOG game was a huge disappointment. I don't post often and I wish I had something even passably good to say about this game, but it's impossible to find one thing I could say was even partially well done or interesting to me. HOG games being produced today are far superior.

qwerty4
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by qwerty4 on Oct 28, 09 9:28 PM
Many Items are small and blend so well into the background that on occasion I couldn't see them even with the hints. Very little to do but lots of dialog. Love history and the TV show, but this game is far less than what I expected. Thumbs down all around.

Go to: