Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for The Curio Society: Eclipse Over Mesina Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Nov 28, 15 12:38 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 11/28/2015 at 8:11:50 AM PST

mystine
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for The Curio Society: Eclipse Over Mesina Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by mystine on Nov 28, 15 2:30 AM
Yay!!! Finally an interesting, CE worthy game...of course this is only my humble opinion lol...some may not like it as with any game. The graphics are beautiful, the storyline good...lots to see and do...just about anything you click on is interactive in some way. Im only about 30 min into the demo but its very solid and makes me want more! All the usual bells and whistles we've come to expect....unlike Thursday offering which as we all know wasnt even a new offering....but I digress...try the demo and as always happy gaming!!!!

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for The Curio Society: Eclipse Over Mesina Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by JulieJay on Nov 28, 15 3:41 AM
Casual, Advanced, Hardcore or Custom.

Play HO or M3.

To find - coins to do up your relic room, dossiers, notes. This is a little disappointing as there's no real hunting for them... they're just there.

You've got a clue finder machine, it will show you what to find (by way of shadow on your machine - bottom right) and then once you've found them you will play a puzzle. Once complete, you will get a photo. Find that scene, place the photo and get an item for your inventory.

All achievements do-able but some unnecessary as it's just something you would do in the game anyway.

You've got a ghostly helper but definitely not intrusive or annoying.

Characters are real-life-ish. I've seen worse, I've seen better.

Voiceovers good.

Graphics bright but can be a bit too colourful for my liking.

Good map.

Inventory locks into place.

Not an immediate buy for me but definitely a buy when I run out of better games.

addictedtofish
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by addictedtofish on Nov 28, 15 5:57 AM
Don't think this is worthy of a CE - only extra I could see is the relic room to decorate with the coins (which are just there to pick up - no difficulty in that) - boring! No morphing objects or other collectibles.
Hidden objects are reasonably well done - mini games are quite easy but enjoyable.
Does anyone else find it irritating that nowadays the bad guy never really seems to attack the hero until the end (except in the really good games) - here's a magician who can does amazing things but doesn't attack the hero - just not realistic.
May use a "free game" coupon on this when the se comes out but, for me, not worth the money (even at a reduced price)

Izziewizz
Guppy
Guppy
116 Posts

[Post New]by Izziewizz on Nov 28, 15 6:45 AM
I played about 40 minutes of the trial.

It just didn't grab me. Perhaps I'm a bit jaded but I felt as if I'd seen it all before, from the graphics style to the gameplay and plot.

Nothing made me think "Oh, that's new/different", so I got bored very quickly.

Others might love it, but it's not for me, CE or SE.

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Nov 28, 15 7:33 AM
My opinion is based on just a few minutes of playing the demo to be sure that my Windows 10 was making nice with the game. It worked so I'm happy.

About the game, great graphics, colorful, thank you Domini, I am so over the grim grey colors in the new games put out by other developers but I won't mention any specifics. Music good, lip sync is there but totally unnecessary to me to enjoy the game, I can read, custom settings so you can make it as hard or as easy as you want. Of course the story is as old as time, good vs. evil, but that's OK as long as the good guys win.

Come on Fishies, I know you out there that love the game like I do. Step up and tell Domini they have given us a good game to play for the weekend. They put in too much hard work to only get panned in the reviews.

Edited on 11/28/2015 at 7:58:21 AM PST

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Nov 28, 15 8:13 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on The Curio Society: Eclipse Over Mesina Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, as do the developers as well as your fellow gamers. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on The Curio Society: Eclipse Over Mesina Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM any one of our Moderators.

bfgWaimea

MsNetty61
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by MsNetty61 on Nov 28, 15 11:03 AM
Not for me guys
I know the name of the devs, but can't remember what they've done before...but this game is really quite lacking, IMHO.
Storyline...done
Bad magician....done
Gargoyles (very unrealistic graphics)...done
etc, etc,etc...done
Match 3 instead of HOPs...clunky and slow
Relic room...yawn
So, try it yourself, but as an old hand at BF I feel we need something new to get our fangs into, and this ain't it :

reg1strar
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for The Curio Society: Eclipse Over Mesina Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by reg1strar on Nov 28, 15 11:14 AM
Daxadillion wrote:A thread for your reviews.

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

[Post New]by 9otters on Nov 28, 15 8:49 PM
MsNetty61 said,

Not for me guys
I know the name of the devs, but can't remember what they've done before...but this game is really quite lacking, IMHO.
Storyline...done
Bad magician....done
Gargoyles (very unrealistic graphics)...done
etc, etc,etc...done
Match 3 instead of HOPs...clunky and slow
Relic room...yawn
So, try it yourself, but as an old hand at BF I feel we need something new to get our fangs into, and this ain't it :

Played the demo in 30 minutes, skipping nothing. Just not my idea of fun. Certainly not CE worthy, imo. Done and done and done again...

Happy gaming for those who choose to play.

[Post New]by shelterhill on Nov 29, 15 6:04 AM
I saw the screenshots and the game looked promising, graphics are nice, but that was about all that was positive.
It's was boring and just not interesting, or maybe I am too picky nowadays???
No buy from me..

Cyndy63
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by Cyndy63 on Nov 29, 15 11:00 AM
This is the type of game I like. Easy enough to be relaxing. Challenging enough to be entertaining. Perfect for a cold Sunday afternoon.

hdnobjgamluvr
Shark
Shark
12,611 Posts

[Post New]by hdnobjgamluvr on Nov 30, 15 11:07 AM
well, after reading everything in the threads, it doesn't sound very promising

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Dec 2, 15 2:09 AM
Got round to this game eventually and as hdnobjgamluvr (which I assume is a clever abbreviation of hidden object game lover!) says, the threads don't make it sound very promising. Which just goes to show you shouldn't believe everything you read.

I'd love these people who say 'it's all been done before' to come up with a game that has absolutely no aspects of any other game that has ever been developed or is similar in story in any way. It's all very well complaining that the games are all alike but can you do any better?? I'm sure the devs would love to hear from you

I quite enjoyed this demo; it's nothing groundbreakingly new but it was presented well and I thought it had a certain charm. I particularly liked some of the Egyptian touches; always have been a sucker for scarabs and mummies And if you click on random things, you never know what will happen!

Nice graphics, a variety of HOS (with an option to play Match-3 instead), some good puzzles that weren't overly hard but fun to complete, collectibles in the form of coins and notes, a map that shows tasks and transports and the option to customise the game to suit. I didn't look at the SG so can't say how many chapters or what the extras are.

There's a sale today; I think this unassuming but fun-to-play CE is going straight on my 'buy' list

ETA: No technical issues with the demo. Desktop running Win7 Prof 64-bit.

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Jan 2, 16 8:49 PM
This is a great value for money game. Not only was the first part long, but the bonus chapter would have to be one of the longest I've played...in the end I was thinking how much more?

I liked the fact it was not creepy, had lots of things to do, not too many hidden objects scenes (which were mixed) and you could skip the talking scenes.

Overall a great game.

SquirrelGirrrl
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by SquirrelGirrrl on Jan 9, 16 9:43 PM
I went thru the whole game with no major issues. The game was a little on the boring side, as we are only collecting coins that are in plain view to spend in a "relic room" that nobody cares about, and a few dossiers. My question is, is the person who writes the instructions for the mini games even playing the same game? There were at least 2 games in the bonus chapter where the instructions were totally incorrect. And I know there were more in the main game. Fortunately, for most of them, I have played enough to figure it out on my own. But there were a couple that I needed to look in the SG for solutions, because the instructions were so screwed up. And then the SG doesn't give you a pic of the solution for several of them.

As to storyline, here is this Curio Society of a bunch of smart agent type people who solve things. But when you solve your own case in the end, they make it out sound like you are the only person who has ever done so. So why are these other people in this society again?

Go to: