Carole22759
Minnow
Minnow
288 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Carole22759 on Dec 3, 10 10:53 PM
d0080b wrote:
brillke wrote:
cleokelani wrote:Hello to all there ,
I can not understand why people put a comment or review if they only played a demo version ,I like MCF and I will buy this one ,no matter of yours negative reviews( only beacuse DEMO was not OHHH ) Hey ,wake up ,put your review after playing the whole game .More the times when I go to buy a game ,I always look to the forum first ,to see whay * YOU* fishes say about and not every time I am pleased ,its all depends of the person style and prefer ..so people who didnt play the whole game,can you please dont put any opinion on here,no need .And as I said Its about taste ,different people different taste .After my bad experience buying a game ,after your lovely *comments* -I just read the forum -YES!!!But I dont care what you said ,its about ME ,what I like ...So please can you just be quiet ,if you never played the whole story !

Thank you !!!!!
p.s. Lately I read that one of the most posting person here is taking RTR as a daily DD ,never played it yet...I cant believe why people comment something they never played ...

I only played the hour demo, although it took only a few minutes to figure out I hated the game, and I did post my negative review. The whole reason for the demo is to see if you like the game and/or have technical issues.

As you said, its about personal style and preference. I dont like the game and you do. I just think its incredibly rude to tell someone to be quiet, that you dont care what they said.

Wahoo to those that love the game and Bummer to those who dont. No need to get snotty.

Uhhmmmm...Why are you giving others directions regarding their posts? Are you the thread monitor? I think you are out-of-line.

*Sha-wack* ... SLAPPED DOWN!
...nice.

Christina892
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Christina892 on Dec 4, 10 12:26 AM
By far this is the hardest of the Mystery Case Files yet to me any way. I keep wanting to find a way to drop the chandelier on that annoying dog in the foyer. xDDDD

100thMonkey
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by 100thMonkey on Dec 4, 10 1:04 AM
I enjoyed the game a lot. It was different, yes, but I didn't find any reason to criticize BF for that. In fact, I appreciated BF taking some chances and exploring some new things, like:
Unusual setting with an edgier tone; giving some mini-games that leaned toward the Madame Fate type of logic puzzles; mini-games I haven't played before. Often it was humorous (don't get me started on the name of the ship's cook in the Bonus Game ). I rather liked that the puzzles weren't always clear-cut as to what I should do. I thought the actors did really well for the tasks at hand. One has to realize that they are doing what they do in sort of a vacuum with a "green screen" probably. They have to create without the benefit of settings or probably even seeing the other actors. Thought the last bit of the bonus game (not to give it away) with everyone at the table was wonderful.

You guys really put some new stuff out as well as advancing what you're doing with interactive video. Well done!

I missed getting to open up the last treasure chest in the Bonus Game somehow and just itching to know what was in there.

[Post New]by cat5400 on Dec 4, 10 7:01 AM
Sorry, didn't like this game. I bought it without trying it based on other MCF games. Will not do that again. The actors annoyed me, the hidden objects screens were way to easy, the puzzles were not very good. I agree with other gamers that all the work went into the actors and not the game itself. Plus, if I'm paying for a collectors edition I want the walkthrough available with one click.

msmithnc
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
439 Posts

[Post New]by msmithnc on Dec 4, 10 8:08 AM
I wasn't sure about the game at first, because I don't like games that require lots of dialog with characters. I bought it anyway and am enjoying it alot as there's not as much dialog as you progress. However, I have one BIG complaint - I don't like the Objective spelled out! I really like figuring things out for myself, and would enjoy it better if seeing the objective was optional - there if you really need it but not in your face. I keep trying not to look at it, but it's hard not to see it!
Having gotten into the game more, and paying more attention to the conversations, I turned on the sound (which I don't usually do since I need to wear headphones if I do) and was pleasantly surprised by the voice acting being pretty authentic southern accents. Having lived most of my life in the south after a midwest upbringing and learning how rich and varied southern accents are it's been hard to endure many years of movies and TV with stylized fake accents (read: hayseed redneck hillbilly). It's only been in recent years that actors have let their real southern accents come out. Most of the voice actors in this game sound real!

Edited on 12/04/2010 at 4:24:10 PM PST

[Post New]by StudentOfTrinity on Dec 4, 10 8:48 AM
I liked this game a lot, and I feel it's a worthy addition to the MCF series.

There are some things about it that I didn't like. But I feel that it's good for the series that each installment is doing something a bit different, and not getting stuck in a rut. The price you pay for that is that not every different thing that gets tried will be to everyone's taste. But the alternative is a series that simply imitates itself into oblivion. MCF is continuing to push the casual game envelope, and that's great.

What I liked:

1) New and new-seeming puzzles. It's hard to believe, given how many of these kinds of games there have been, but this game has a lot of puzzles that felt fresh to me. Almost all of them, I'd say. And they pretty much all fit the theme somehow. This is really impressive. In fact, the puzzles work and fit so well that it's easy to not notice how well they fit and work. So the game's greatest achievement is easily overlooked, and may not get the praise it deserves. But if people are all taking for granted that this IS a game in the MCF league, this is why.

2) Movies and voice acting. This was different, well executed, and fun. I don't need it in a game, and won't complain if the next one steps back from it, but in this game it worked well.

3) I really liked the extra game at the end of the CE. It wasn't that long, but it was just cool and fun, and really rounded out the experience. I presume this was added CE content, and if so, it's the kind of thing that makes me happier about paying the extra bucks.

4) Lots of tips and hints. Used much, these would make the game really easy. But you can always not use them, and there are achievements to acknowledge this. I played this thing late at night after long days, in several sittings with days between, during which I would forget stuff I'd seen earlier in the game. It was great to be able to decide that this wouldn't ruin the game for me.

The thing I didn't like so much:

1) Around half the time, the objective I had next made no particular sense, and I was really only doing it because the game was telling me that it was my objective. Honestly I'd rather have this than just wander around aimlessly with no direction at all. But ideally it would be clear within the story what my next goal is and why.

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Dec 4, 10 10:18 AM
Carole22759 wrote:
d0080b wrote:
brillke wrote:
cleokelani wrote:Hello to all there ,
I can not understand why people put a comment or review if they only played a demo version ,I like MCF and I will buy this one ,no matter of yours negative reviews( only beacuse DEMO was not OHHH ) Hey ,wake up ,put your review after playing the whole game .More the times when I go to buy a game ,I always look to the forum first ,to see whay * YOU* fishes say about and not every time I am pleased ,its all depends of the person style and prefer ..so people who didnt play the whole game,can you please dont put any opinion on here,no need .And as I said Its about taste ,different people different taste .After my bad experience buying a game ,after your lovely *comments* -I just read the forum -YES!!!But I dont care what you said ,its about ME ,what I like ...So please can you just be quiet ,if you never played the whole story !

Thank you !!!!!
p.s. Lately I read that one of the most posting person here is taking RTR as a daily DD ,never played it yet...I cant believe why people comment something they never played ...

I only played the hour demo, although it took only a few minutes to figure out I hated the game, and I did post my negative review. The whole reason for the demo is to see if you like the game and/or have technical issues.

As you said, its about personal style and preference. I dont like the game and you do. I just think its incredibly rude to tell someone to be quiet, that you dont care what they said.

Wahoo to those that love the game and Bummer to those who dont. No need to get snotty.

Uhhmmmm...Why are you giving others directions regarding their posts? Are you the thread monitor? I think you are out-of-line.

*Sha-wack* ... SLAPPED DOWN!

...nice.

Double SHAWACK.... duhhhh that's what demos are for. One hour of a game is plenty of time to have a good opinion.

[Post New]by susan4303 on Dec 4, 10 10:23 AM
I bought this game. Like this game. BUT even after re-installing, I can't get past the "listening at the door". The game essentially stops there.... Any one else having the same issue?

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

[Post New]by vingilot on Dec 4, 10 11:32 AM
susan4303 - you need to keep moving the glass until you can hear Mrs. Lawson speaking clearly. She moves around the room, so it can be hard to find her, but you can find her. If you have the subtitles turned on, just keep moving until you see the words come up. You may have to move the glass a couple of times before getting the the information you need.

catfishsue
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by catfishsue on Dec 4, 10 12:31 PM
just finishing playing the game. First let me say that I really appreciate all the hard work that MCF put into this game. The art and graphics are really awesome. (MCF's are always great) I know mcf went way out to assemble this game. But, and I hate to say this, it just cannot compare to RTR as far as a mystery game. RTR kept you with all these pictures in your head as you went through the scenes as to what horrible thing awaited you. And the ending was just that. Horrible. 13th skull just did not have the anticipatiing mystery as what was to come, and the ending was just that, an ending. I hate to say this to a company that has such talent to do better. I will not give up on you.

Molly_C
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by Molly_C on Dec 4, 10 7:06 PM
Have played both the game and the extra game. Here are my thoughts.

What I liked:

*Length of game play
*soundtrack (with a caveat below)
*graphics
*complexity
*story/plot
*achievements (I like to compete!)
*Strategy guide

What I didn't like

*Actors (it was really distracting)
*Objectives (I would have preferred this as an optional thing)
*Puzzles were not very complex, for all that some were difficult
*soundtrack was not varied (would have preferred more...songs for lack of a better term)

In a nutshell: I wanted so much to fall in love with this. It's the first time I've ever bought a game on this site without the hour preview, simply on the strength of the MCF name. Ravenhearst Manor, Madame Fate, and RTR are the best examples of what has made this game maker rightly loved; 13th Skull is obviously an evolution from RTR and Dire Grove, but I feel, as I think others have noted on this forum, that 13th Skull goes too far down the path. Also, (and this is a nit-picking point) I couldn't figure out why an English detective would be trolling around the bayous of Louisiana? I think the story could have easily been adapted to account for this.

So: I hope that the MCF team reads forums like this, to continue to tailor their adventures to we gamers' requests. Nonetheless, I enjoyed 13th Skull, and eagerly await the next installment!

[Post New]by HAPPYGOLUCKY48 on Dec 4, 10 7:27 PM
I just finished the game and it's FANTASTIC! I got stuck a few times, but thanks to the hints and online help I was able to get through the game. Love the graphics and can't wait for more. I have to admit, if I didn't have the help, I would've given up. It that challenging of a game.

[Post New]by sssalpha1358 on Dec 4, 10 8:14 PM
I'm a huge MCF fan and literally have been waiting the entire year for this new game to come out. I even had to wait an extra week since I was out of town for Thanksgiving which was torture knowing it was out and I wasn't able to play it! But I have to agree with some of the others that this is by far the worst MCF to date. Maybe it's because everyone was so hyped for the next one we had such elevated expectations...but I definitely feel let down. I bought the collector's edition sight unseen and was quickly unsure when there were so many movies and interactions with real people. I felt that the general game play was very slowed down by all the interactions you had to do with the characters and going about as their errand boy. I felt like the puzzles in general were not very challenging and seemed fewer along with fewer HOG scenes. I even felt like the ending (which I will not spoil here by details) was a dissapointment. I still have the bonus level to play and will give that a try tomorrow maybe it will wrap up the story better. I guess in summary if you are a fan definitely play the game but play it with lower expectations and knowing that it may not be your favorite, I took many extra breaks throughout playing that I normally don't because I am usually so entralled with the other MCF games.

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Dec 4, 10 8:57 PM
Awesome game. I enjoyed interacting with live characters. The graphics are very good and lots of moving parts. Many places and characters to visit (more than once).The squeeking walks, and sloppy paths made very good noises. I also enjoyed the wild life. (except the darned parrot). I thought there were very few hidden object games and the ones I did find were not extremely hard to solve. I loved moving aside the debris to find what is underneath. Lots of hidden passages and rooms to explore. I did find the gas station disappointing though, not enough to do in there until the end. I sure carried that ice pick around a long time. The voices were not irrating except the husband who held a gun to my back at the end of the game kept repeating his threats. I wanted to turn around and punch his lights out. Also the Pirate kept repeating the sane laugh and sayings as I was exploring the old pirate ships. Had to do quite a bit of note taking to solve some puzzles. The numerical puzzles bore me and I never do them without help. There is no way on earth to figure out where the skulls go on the slab or which skeleton. One would always need help on those two. I don't like roman numerals also. So... I used a few hints, but overall in about 10 hours, completed this game and enjoyed almost every moment of it. I highly recomment at $13.99, certainly not a waste of money. Thanks BF keep up the good work.

Help w/GOBLET Objective near trap door?!

[Post New]by danee69 on Dec 4, 10 9:10 PM
This is my 2nd time playing because the 1st time my "GOBLET" Objective never opened so I started it all all as new profile & it still won't give me the objective.
I am now stuck for a 2nd time because I can't get into the Carriage house.

pinkfish23
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by pinkfish23 on Dec 5, 10 6:42 AM
darkdisciple1313 wrote:Piggy-backing onto another very wise comment ("Approach the game not as you think it should be, but for what it is," or something similar), I add this:

A sundae from McDonald's may not be the same as a sundae from Baskin-Robbins, but remember...they both still have ice cream in them.

And now, off to play the game.

Well said & I quite agree!

Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by nascnmbr3 on Dec 5, 10 8:27 AM
bfgOkeechobee wrote:Hey Fishies! What do you think of Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition? We value your reviews,

-bfgOkeechobee

You don't want to know what I think !!!!!

Its the worst piece of crap I've ever downloaded.

There is no way to by-pass unsolvable puzzles like the crypt, which is where I'm stuck

I put in my dates 1806,1808,1812,1747 and click the lever and nothing!!!.

Its Sunday now, so come Monday if I can't either get a solution or a refund for the purchase price of the game. I will be calling my Credit Card and doing a charge back for the price of the game.

I would suggest the programmers go back to their original games, like Huntsville, they where fun!!! Even Madam Fate was a great game....seems after that they have gotten ridiculously harder and harder

They should go look at spin top's games they are fun to do. No going up, down,back and forth or unsolvable puzzles.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Dec 5, 10 8:30 AM
Before you give up in disgust, a previous poster noticed that 1812 was in the grid twice. See if that helps.

[Post New]by nascnmbr3 on Dec 5, 10 8:32 AM
Mr_Russ wrote:
Before you give up in disgust, a previous poster noticed that 1812 was in the grid twice. See if that helps.

I have looked for it being in there twice, My neighbors have looked, my kids have looked, my wife has looked its not in there !!!!!!

BFG owes me a functioning game or a refund !!!

[Post New]by shellseeker on Dec 5, 10 8:51 AM
I loved it. I am so happy to see a new challenge, instead of juvenile games. Keep up the good work.

Go to: