oreo3030
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

NEW HO - Hidden Mysteries - Civil War

[Post New]by oreo3030 on Apr 18, 08 1:44 AM
Downloading from BFG now. Hope it's good!

Played about 30 minutes. Anther game with tiny objects (they are clear for the most part); but, oh, my eyes. Rather wordy for some but the story is interesting. HOs, regular and multiples, cryptogram minigame and an overall mystery to solve. Looks pretty good.

scotcat
Flounder
Flounder
2,349 Posts

Re: NEW HO - Hidden Mysteries - Civil War

[Post New]by scotcat on Apr 18, 08 3:03 AM
YA THINK THEY COULD MAKE THE OBJECTS ANY SMALLER? Ooops, sorry. My eyes wanted to see something big for a change. They have that big ole' screen with tons of space and make the objects so small. Thank God my eye doctor made me computer glasses (which I love BTW).

I didn't do any reading.... it kinda reminds me of the Agatha Christy reading of the clues. Scripted message mini game not very exciting. That's the only mini game I saw so far (in one hour).

That bugle was pretty annoying. Other sound effects were cool tho.
Picture quality good. Everything ran Ok. The hour went by fast (not too bored), but I spent a lot of time trying to see itsy bitsy objects.

They don't give you enough clues in my opinion (only 3 with up to 80 tiny objects to find).

It looks like this game was made by the same people that made Cooking Quest (which didn't run smooth for me).

I'd say another game to play with until the really good games come out. At least it's only $7 for me.

rentonwa
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,075 Posts

[Post New]by rentonwa on Apr 18, 08 11:12 PM
I tried it, liked it and bought it. It's pretty hard, in my opinion. And yes, the objects are awfully small. I'm having problems with the hints, they're really hard to see and I've given away a few because I just didn't see them.
I like the graphics and the overall appearance of the game (I'm not reading the stories, although I probably should ...)

I'd recommend this game.

LisaB19
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,381 Posts

[Post New]by LisaB19 on Apr 18, 08 11:22 PM
I'm enjoying it too!! I agree with what you said about the hints, sometimes you just can't see them. Have you seen that you can play a mini game to get more hints? I'm enjoying reading the stories, well sort of.

Lisa

rentonwa
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,075 Posts

[Post New]by rentonwa on Apr 19, 08 1:31 PM
No, I haven't seen the mini game - how can I get to it? There are not enough hints (I think) and it would be nice to be able to earn some more. Thanks for pointing it out.

By the way, Lisa, I agree with you that it's nice to have all the great people here helping with hints, suggestions and encouragement. I love having a little community like that.

LisaB19
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,381 Posts

[Post New]by LisaB19 on Apr 19, 08 1:55 PM
If you look at the hint magnifying glass on the map page, it says "Earn Hints" click on it and you get to play the mini game (which I still can't master!)

Lisa

oreo3030
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by oreo3030 on Apr 19, 08 2:27 PM
The minigame is a version of minesweeper or Betrapped. You can practice.

LisaB19
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,381 Posts

[Post New]by LisaB19 on Apr 19, 08 4:34 PM
Just finished this game (couldn't stop playing today!) and I LOVED it. It was definately one of the hardest HO game I've played, harder than Madame Fate but without the crazy puzzles. The graphics, storyline and sound were awesome. I highly recommend it!!!

Lisa

scotcat
Flounder
Flounder
2,349 Posts

[Post New]by scotcat on Apr 20, 08 3:14 PM
LisaB19 wrote:Just finished this game (couldn't stop playing today!) and I LOVED it. It was definately one of the hardest HO game I've played, harder than Madame Fate but without the crazy puzzles. The graphics, storyline and sound were awesome. I highly recommend it!!!

Lisa

I am just getting the chance to buy this game today. This month is a busy one for me with a cat show every weekend to go to. Hey! I loved the crazy mini games (puzzles) in Madame Fate. :-)) I think I have played Azada so many times I can do all the puzzles in 2 minutes to 35 seconds now.

scotcat
Flounder
Flounder
2,349 Posts

[Post New]by scotcat on Apr 20, 08 10:03 PM
When a game starts to become irratating, it's not fun anymore. I am only on the 2nd level - I have 1 key to find & 1 flower which must be the size of a pin point. I am out of hints and simply cannot master that dumb bomb game which I hate. I was out of hints earlier and had hubby come in and stock piled (5) me some hints because he can breeze through that mini game. I can't go any further since I can't find the last key or flower and have no hints and hubby is asleep. This is not fun! I'll go play my demo of Family Feud. Phtfff....

cesse47
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
25,099 Posts

[Post New]by cesse47 on Apr 21, 08 1:43 PM
kevabear wrote:Well I really like this game, however I am having a really hard time finding one of the hidden objects. It's a paper ball in "the first battle of bull run" area. I have tried using the hint, over and over and over, but cannot see the flashing sparkles. I can't go any further until I find that one single thing. Any help would be oh so greatly appreciated. I just keep going and getting more hints, return to that screen, and still can't see where it is flashing! Thanks, I hope!

I've played twice and that item didn't appear in my list. I looked through the scene. The only thing I found that I thought might work is at the bottom to the right of center in front of frog. It looks like a rock with markings. Hope that"s it. Good luck.

LisaB19
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,381 Posts

[Post New]by LisaB19 on Apr 21, 08 6:09 PM
That is it, in front of the frog. I have to minimize it from the full screen view in order to click on it.

Lisa

scotcat
Flounder
Flounder
2,349 Posts

[Post New]by scotcat on Apr 22, 08 1:21 PM
Well, I finished this game last night. I didn't like it at all and I'm happy I didn't buy Cooking Quest which is from the same company.

Exchange worthy IMHO.

Edited on 06/19/2008 at 12:01:57 PM PST

karenplop
Catfish
Catfish
1,609 Posts

[Post New]by karenplop on Apr 22, 08 3:45 PM
Crazy old lady here. Even more crazy now. I have had my nose to screen for several days now. I have run out of time on numerous occasions. I am finally on the last level. My eyes are spinning counter-clock-wise and even my magnifying glass is in over use. I think the fire flies and the arrows were the worst to find. Now I'm onto gems and goblets, for the third time. Pray for me................................

rentonwa
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,075 Posts

[Post New]by rentonwa on Apr 22, 08 9:20 PM
I just finished the game and agree with karen - the arrows and the fireflies were the hardest to find.
What really bugged me was that the hints didn't seem to work sometimes and I had to give several of them away.

The only way I could finish is with the help of my husband, who came to the rescue several times (he found the last arrow, by the way).

I think it was a fun game but nothing compared to the Mystery games.

kkt4451
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by kkt4451 on Apr 23, 08 3:21 AM
cesse47 how do you change to window view. I have 2 objects that I can't click on.

dtouchton
Manatee
Manatee
4,156 Posts

[Post New]by dtouchton on Apr 28, 08 8:48 AM
I'm stuck at the Spotsalvania(?) Courthouse and I CAN'T find the candle. I looked at tips and they have a candy cane listed instead of candle. I found the candy cane but it's not on my list. HELP!
Everyone else is right. The items are TINY! And the mini game is awful. I don't mind something challebging but this is a waste of time.
Wish I hadn't bought this one or the Nancy Drew game. I usually like their games bu these 2..ugh!

[Post New]by littlefoot555 on Apr 28, 08 7:20 PM
This game had the makings of a perfect hidden objects game,
good grapics nice history lesson story background.
but sadly here are the issues i have with it, most items are to small
to find they only give 3 clues for alot of stuff to find. you end up wasting
1 or 2 clues because you got to look way to hard to see where it is circling.
on some items you have to lower screen window and open again so you can select
certain objects in lower corners, trying to earn hints is annoying as you have to play
minesweeper and if you play in timed mode you will have to hustle.
I find myself playing for a hour or so and getting very frustrated.
A strain on the eyes for sure and nerves.

main point save your money!!!

*small items to find
*not enough hints many wasted
*have to open close screen for some items
*earning extra hints is pointless

EdnaMoles
Clownfish
Clownfish
824 Posts

[Post New]by EdnaMoles on May 5, 08 3:19 PM
LOL, I brought this because I am a addict and try to play the impossible. My second problem with this game is that it is too short.

[Post New]by travlingal on May 9, 08 8:31 AM
In my opinion, this has to be the most beautiful ho game I've ever seen. But, my disclaimer, is, that you probably have to be a civil war buff to really fall in love with it. Yes, the hidden objects are really tiny and I've had to 'mow the lawn' on more than one screen, which is extremely tedious and still had to use a hint. When i first used the hints I ended up throwing all 3 away because I couldn't see where they were. Dumb and dumber me! Anyway, figured it out. Have been trying to play it slowly and savor it but it aint gonna happen, it's just too good. Glad you folks are here.
Karen B

Go to: