bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Hidden Magic comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Oct 31, 09 2:10 AM
Here is what our reviewer thought of Hidden Magic. Post your own thoughts about the game in this thread and join the conversation!

Comments:
Hidden Magic is an interesting blend of a variety of genres. At first, it appears to be a Hidden Object game, but after a few levels it turns out to be much more. Unlike in traditional Hidden Object games, the point of object scenes isn’t to just pick up items from a list, but to find missing pieces of items so that they can be used within the scene. Once items are complete, they’re used to complete the scene – for example, you might complete an axe to break something open or a rope to tie something. Players will also need to find objects which are used to cast spells against enemies in combat, which is an interesting twist on battle systems traditionally seen in Role Playing Games and occasionally in Match 3s. In addition to this, there is an array of puzzle boxes that can only be opened by solving a cryptogram as well as a few Match 3 levels sprinkled in. Gameplay aside, the art is simple, yet pretty, and offers an air of mystery as you adventure to find out who – or what – stole your beloved from your home. Also, while battle is a major part of the game, it’s never violent and the ability to switch difficulties at any time makes this game appropriate for all ages.

Game Modes:
As far as difficulty, Hidden Magic offers Relaxed, Normal and Advanced. Throughout the duration of the game, players will go through Hidden Object scenes, Hidden Object battles, Match 3 levels and Memory-style games.

Depth:
Hidden Magic's play time varies depending on your skill level and the level of difficulty in which the game is played. Since the Advanced mode is only unlocked after completing the game once, there is replay value to extend the overall play time.

Similar to:
Hidden Object fans that enjoyed the enemy-fighting aspect of Puzzle Quest may be interested in checking out Hidden Magic's Hidden Object battles.

Difficulty level:
This game actually offers three levels of difficulty (the hardest being locked after completing the game). While the hidden pieces levels aren’t overly difficult, standard mode’s battles become relatively challenging over time. Relax mode’s battles are much less challenging.

Reviewed by E.G.

Re:Hidden Magic comments and reviews

[Post New]by catsholidayhome on Oct 31, 09 3:17 AM
This is as Poodle has stated, a totally different concept on a hidden object game. It provides three main different sections makihg the game extremely interesting. Please note - have only played it on easy as do not like time limits or pressure when playing games. There are the hidden parts of objects to find, then in order to beat your enemy you need to cast spells, this is done by "finding" the different elements of the spell - and then the mini-games. Love it. Needed something different and this is it. Replay value in going up to the intermediate level and followed by the advanced level.

[Post New]by EcclesCakes on Oct 31, 09 3:19 AM
Well, now...this is a surprise! Having rejected the $2.99 special today for my 6th Octoberfest game, I was all set to pick up Reincarnations, but thought I'd give this a look. It appears, after one hour, to be a beautifully designed, really engrossing title. As the BF reviewer indicated, it's a blend of styles, but it moves along nicely with a good storyline. I do like the battle sequences, and see a good deal of replayability here. Also, after one hour, I would guesstimate the length to be a good 4 to 5 hours, looking at the map progression. Graphics and settings are very nicely done, with quickly refillable hints, and a nice touch on finding parts of pictures - such as a long knife. Bringing the mouse down to the incompleted knife will show the various parts in full color, making identification in the scene a bit easier. Although there is no voice acting, the music is lovely and relaxing. A very interesting title, more like what I'd expect of a $20 game, and I'll look forward to other comments before I bite the bullet on game 6.

Actually, looking at the BF walkthrough, I've only completed 4 of 48 levels! That speaks to a very good length. I really like the mix of tasks.

Edited on 10/31/2009 at 3:27:55 AM PST

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

[Post New]by amj0963 on Oct 31, 09 3:29 AM
i have been playing the game for about 3 hours now and still not even 3/4 of the way done, so it is a long game. i love the fight the enemy scenes, i really like the different enemies. story line is pretty decent too. i started on easy but then switched to normal, i don't feel as the normal is timed. the mini games are putting together a puzzle, a cryptogram, match 3, memory, and i like that you have to find the pieces and use them in the scene and not all of them are easy to see.

i give this

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Oct 31, 09 4:32 AM
What an interesting game, I agree with what has been written above. I that it is an assortment of different game types and the demo time went really quickly so I just had to come and buy (don't think the will get out anytime soon).

mews
Salmon
Salmon
2,854 Posts

[Post New]by mews on Oct 31, 09 4:48 AM
I also agree with the other reviews, it's such an interesting game . It has very pleasing graphics, I like the sound effects/music, they're not too intrusive and the fact that it has no voice over pleases me as most of the time games with 'voices' have such annoying or fake accents.
A choice of Timed or Not Timed so everyone is catered for.
I played on normal which is timed and it is not difficult, I can't wait to unlock the Advanced mode for extra challenge.
The battles against the various enemies become increasingly difficult and I like the fact that you can create healing potions when your character has lost some of its strength.
The hints refill very quickly and I must admit I had to use them as sometimes the parts of objects you have to find are well camouflaged.

Just one small fault for me is that I can't use the custom cursor (floaty cursor effect) but at least you can get rid of that in options so not a big deal.

I waited until today to buy my last game for Octoberfest and this is it.

mews

Edited on 10/31/2009 at 4:49:12 AM PST

Poppa47
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,489 Posts

[Post New]by Poppa47 on Oct 31, 09 5:19 AM
I really like the battle segments as this is a novel idea in a HOG. As far as the scenes leading up to the battles I have issues with finding objects ( piecemeal ) that will be the same over and over again. The battles will undoubtedly be repeated during replay of the game. For me this will get boring. Too bad as this could have been a splendid IHOG. All in all, this game is more than likely a pass.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Oct 31, 09 7:05 AM
I LIKED THE GAME , BUT NOT ENOUGH TO BUY...IT WAS ALSO BORING TO ME AS WELL..BUT I;M SURE THERE WILL BE A LOT OF YOU THAT WILL REALLY ENJOY THIS TYPE OF GAME..BUT AFTER A HOUR..THAT WAS ENOUGH FOR ME .

[Post New]by Wildrose111 on Oct 31, 09 8:26 AM
love this game

susielee
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by susielee on Oct 31, 09 8:30 AM
I found it to be boring, monotonous and juvenile. They've given us so many great games lately that it really takes something to impress me. This one didn't.

Susu2
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by Susu2 on Oct 31, 09 9:00 AM
I think it's an ok game but is running very sluggish on my xp 64 bit computer, any ideas how to fix this? Don't think I will buy if I can't solve this problem

Sablesshadow
Manatee
Manatee
4,347 Posts

[Post New]by Sablesshadow on Oct 31, 09 9:46 AM
I'm enjoying this game very much.

Ecclescakes, thanks for the tip about highlighting the pieces.

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Oct 31, 09 10:41 AM
Done after 17 min. It's a battle game under the guise of a HOG b/c the player has to pick up some objects that aren't even hidden, save for the bits n pieces scenes in the cottage. I think this would be a good kids' game, but not for adults (unless they're WOW fanatics). I will give it a plus for pretty storybook graphix.

zorrogumbo
Clownfish
Clownfish
550 Posts

[Post New]by zorrogumbo on Oct 31, 09 11:31 AM
did the trial and loved the game. sometimes the pieces are not always clear and the fighting is a bit confusing for me. do not know if i should try tofind all items for every strenght or stick on one in particular. overall this is a go for me.

TimeKilla
Herring
Herring
399 Posts

[Post New]by TimeKilla on Oct 31, 09 11:32 AM
A really different game.
It's got three different types of game play that you rotate through:
Traditional HOG/Adventure: - Find pieces to items and use these items within the scenes. Often you need to use a few items from your inventory to get the last pieces. - This was a bit too easy but the graphics are lovely.
Mini-games: Fairly traditional, jigsaw puzzles, match 3, concentration. Very easy but relaxing.
Battle: I've seen this in match 3's but don't recall it ever being used in an HOG. As you progress through the other levels, you learn spells. These spells are used in battle against critters of darkness. You make the spells by pulling various items off a shelf and mixing it in your cauldron.

On the regular level, this is fairly intense. You have between 15 - 45 seconds to complete a spell before you are "attacked" (Your points go down, there is no visible action). The items are in the open, scattered across shelves. But it's amazing how hard it is to find things when you're pressed for time.

It's a great idea but it doesn't quite work. Even though different enemies have different weaknesses, the spells come up at random. So there isn't much strategy, just a frantic hunting. You barely have time to read the name of the spell or what it does. A few times I found that last piece only to discover that I had cast a healing spell on my perfectly healthy self. If you could pick the spells beforehand, based on the critter, or even open your magic book in battle to come up with a plan, this part would be much more engaging.

You can switch difficulty at any time. On easy, these battle scenes are much more relaxed. Sadly, that doesn't help. Between the easy mini-games and the too simple adventure scenes, there isn't enough of a challenge to keep the game interesting.

It might be nice to have around for 15 minutes at a time (which would last quite a while because this is the longest HOG to come out in forever.) but after that it gets boring and stressful at the same time.

It's such a unique idea that I want to buy it, just to support the developers but at the same time, I don't think I would ever finish it.

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Oct 31, 09 11:39 AM
The first word that comes to mind is "Interesting." It's kind-of a hidden object game and kind-of adventure. My take is that there are two different kinds of **** activities. One, you have scenes where you have to find all the parts of items displayed at the bottom of the screne. The other, you have to put together spells and defend yourself against your enemy. Here, you have to find items of different spells before your enemy does. You also have mini-games, puzzles, match three were the ones I completed in 45 minutes of play. There is also interaction throughout the different **** scenes.

Bottomline -- This game has a lot going on -- HOs, interaction, mini-games. I played the normal mode and it was not difficult. You cannot play the advance mode until you complete the game at either the relaxed or normal mode. I believe this game has some replay and time advantage. I give it 3-1/2 approval out of 5. I'm on the fence about purchasing. After completing 3 or 4 of the "beating" the enemy, I was a little bored. Give it a try. Some will like, others not, and some will be where I am "I don't know."

PS -- Like others, I might purchase to support the developers. Great job with graphics, though items were sometimes hard to find. Perhaps, for some of us, this games might have just too much going on --

Edited on 10/31/2009 at 11:42:37 AM PST

forensicMD
Clownfish
Clownfish
529 Posts

[Post New]by forensicMD on Oct 31, 09 12:01 PM
I am glad to see that imagination still exists. It does seem as if most games have become very predictable. I therefore applaud any effort to try something different. Having said that, I did not like this game. The battle concept somehow sets a stopwatch ticking within me and it almost seems as if I can feel my blood pressure going up! Even though I chose the relaxed mode when asked, I could not escape a feeling of (almost!) panic, which is pretty silly given that it is, after all, only a game. That does not change my "clock" though. I never could find the garlic when the only choice appeared to be a bunch of garlic and the game would not accept that choice for "garlic." Also I could not find the acorn and finally gave up trying. I saw that some of you really like this game and I am happy to see imagination appreciated and rewarded!

Kayster
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by Kayster on Oct 31, 09 12:51 PM
I have to admit I was almost sold by the end of the opening cut scene. Those goblins are just so adorable!

Good game - lots of variety. Not too hard. Moves along quickly. No problems with descriptions or grammar. No technical problems. Very nice graphics. Good story.

I finished 14 chapters of 48 during the demo - meaning 3.5 hours of play. A good deal

Not a pure HOG or IHOG if that is what you want - probably about half the time is spent on HOG and half on a range of other puzzles and games. The "battle" scenes are far from violent and most of the work there is HOG seeking.

Definite buy for me - probably with my Oktoberfest bonus since I already got my six.

/

Edited on 10/31/2009 at 12:53:08 PM PST

gpherder
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by gpherder on Oct 31, 09 2:02 PM
Two things right off the bat that I hate about games - No way to skip the intro movie (and I'm *really* hoping it only ever happens once) and it will only come off full screen at certain resolutions.

Learn to program, folks. There's no need to force people into crappy resolutions just because you can't figure out how to make it work on all resolutions.

CynthiaV
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by CynthiaV on Oct 31, 09 2:48 PM
I was almost put off by the simplistic Game Picture advertising the game but decided to give it a go. I agree that this is a very different kind of game. I enjoy playing most kinds of games and this one, as many have shared, is a lot of game genres rolled into one. The art work is a bit simplistic but started to "grow" on me after a while. I had a bit of a problem with seeing the custom cursor in fullscreen (have had this kind of issue in the past) but once I unchecked it in options the game ran smoother and the cursor stopped flickering.

I'm still on the fence about buying this one -- guess I just want to see what else will be coming out before burning a free game.

All in all it is a fun game with nice graphics, coherent storyline and fun minigames. I also like that you can play in easy mode (untimed, fast loading hints). The game offers to switch you to a more difficult mode but you can always do so yourself and decline it which I did. There are 2 more levels (both with increasing difficulty) so replayability looks good.

I'll probably end up getting this one (already have my 6). Give it a try and don't let the name or the picture put you off. Happy gaming

Go to: