Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Christmas Stories: Puss in Boots Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Dec 3, 15 12:35 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 12/03/2015 at 6:02:32 AM PST

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Christmas Stories: Puss in Boots Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Dec 3, 15 6:04 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Christmas Stories: Puss in Boots Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, as do the developers as well as your fellow gamers. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Christmas Stories: Puss in Boots Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM any one of our Moderators.

bfgWaimea

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Christmas Stories: Puss in Boots Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by rainworm on Dec 3, 15 6:16 AM
Not yet a review, just a short impression:

Beautiful and charming game. Very well made, as usual by E., nice idea to have the cat in boots as the "bad" guy. But with the help of many charming cats .....

Good christmas game, nice addition to the other 3. A must-have for cat-lovers and all who cannot wait the 3 weeks we have till christmas!

chrelm
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by chrelm on Dec 3, 15 10:03 AM
When I saw "3" in your post, I thought you might be referring to three year olds. That's my impression of this game - geared to three year olds. Really, really sick of this kind of thing. Couldn't play the demo for more than five minutes.

janey1806
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by janey1806 on Dec 3, 15 10:49 AM
Yes I agree. Sickly sweet. Only for young children. Its all very cute and all that but I was hoping for more of game like The Nutcracker, that was a good game for all ages. This is too cutesy cuddly and the voices didnt help. Wont be on my christmas list.

MsNetty61
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by MsNetty61 on Dec 3, 15 11:14 AM
No thank you, not for me....these cats were in the bonus chapter of Nutcracker, which I really liked, but never completed the bonus because of the cats, and now they have a whole game to themselves
I gave it 5 minutes, but when the snowballing kitten wanted me to fix her teddy I was out of there!
Don't get me wrong, I'm a cat person myself, but this is too childish and silly, as Janey said, very young children only, no family appeal at all

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Dec 3, 15 12:13 PM
Hmmm......guess this makes me a 65 year old "kid" because I found a lot to like about this cheerful holiday game! and more

Yeah I could do without some of the 'childish' voices but they are just kittens so they should have young voices! Santa has a grownup voice so it's all good. Plus as a cat lover, it's perfect!

As is usual with this series of holiday games, graphics are beautiful. There are achievements (easily viewed in the Extras section), some are performance based. There are puzzle pieces to spot. There are also "Collectibles" but can't say that I noticed what those were, so perhaps other reviewers will be more helpful on that point.

I love this holiday series because the games are bright, beautiful, and fun. If you are lucky enough to have young kids or grandkids to enjoy your gaming with you, this series is a safe bet!

Oh, and yesterday's CE code is still working this morning so that's a bonus. Give the demo more than 5-10 minutes, let kittens be kittens, and see if it fits in your holiday game collection.

Edited on 12/03/2015 at 12:14:49 PM PST

[Post New]by shelterhill on Dec 3, 15 1:43 PM
That makes me a 47 year old kid as well, because I love it. I always enjoy this series for Christmas, and adding cats to it makes it even more exciting!!
Is it an easy game?? Well, not so bad after some hard games recently.
I am a very happy fish with this installment and will play this on or around Christmas..

Those who like it, enjoy!!!!

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

[Post New]by rainworm on Dec 3, 15 1:46 PM
Oh yes, in the beginning of the demo I nearly gave up because of the kittens. But I didn't and I am glad to have bought it!

It is a christmas game and so we enter a world most of us left when we grew up. Sometimes it is just fun and very relaxing to re-enter this world....

gryhndlvr
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by gryhndlvr on Dec 3, 15 3:13 PM
Why so harsh ? After all it is a Christmas game, a very sweet one. I wait for these games every Christmas and I bought this one without playing the demo.
I love it, yes it is kind of easy, with lots of minigames etc, collectables and morphs.
Beautiful graphics and Christmas scenes and a nice storyline.
I am tired of all these dark psychological games, this is the season to relax and enjoy. And this game definitely does that for me. Enjoy

cnbmimi11
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by cnbmimi11 on Dec 3, 15 4:56 PM
I too am enjoying being a "kid' and playing this game. It is charming and cute.

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by Pickles77 on Dec 3, 15 5:01 PM
Add me to the growing list of adult kids! I find the game beautiful, engaging, a welcome change to the gloom and doom kind of games that are always being released...and after all, is someone pointed out, it is Christmas and it's time for make believe and children's dreams......and this is a welcome change to the Nutcracker and Tin Soldier games......not too fond of those ones.....Happy gaming, all!!!

JessF
Clownfish
Clownfish
773 Posts

[Post New]by JessF on Dec 3, 15 6:08 PM
I have a coupon for a CE and was pleased to see this game today since I have all the previous games in the series.

I'm glad I tried it out first. I played the demo for about 1/2 hour and will not be getting it. I might have if my grand-daughter still played games with me, but at 13, she is now too old for childish things.

It is just too cute and I thought the cats could have been done better. I liked the one found on the doorstop, but once he stood up, he was not cat-like enough. When the Baker cat started to hug his oven and purr, I gave up. And Santa's face was very strange.

I think the Christmas Story series has been declining. Nutcracker was wonderful and its been down hill since then.

I know this goes against the majority opinion. I seem to have been doing that a lot lately.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Dec 3, 15 7:36 PM
Hi all! Now that I have recovered from Thanksgiving, I can get back to my games...I missed them. Today we have another addition to this wonderful series. I beta tested this one quite some time ago and found that the graphics didn't seem quite as nice and crisp as the other, but still quite nice. Santa's face just seemed a little odd to me for some reason. The colors are bright and true. Game play was very good, no problems during the demo at all. Music is the usual for this series and not at all annoying. Voice overs are nice and in some cases, quite cute, but all were character appropriate. Yes, you do have a cat helper and he does move a little slow, but he gets the job done when needed. He isn't used constantly.

HOPs are well done with interactive lists, silhouettes and place the item in the scene. Items are not hard to find, but placing the items does take a little time and thought. Puzzles were not difficult at all and took no brain power to complete. There is a map, which I found to be a bit cluttered, but still usable. Areas with a collectible are marked on the map, in case you think you missed one. Hint system is very helpful and it does transport to longer locations. There isn't a lot of back tracking, but there is some, so this feature is a time saver.

Collectibles: the only thing I found so far are puzzles pieces. There are 36 and they are not as easy to spot as you may think. They can be hidden anywhere, so be on the look out. There are also 12 morphing items, which morph fairly quickly. I see that you can only collect the item when it is morph mode...tricky.

I have all of the other Christmas Stories and really loved them. This one is "loosely" based on the Puss In Boots story. There is a serious side to this one, but also some comedy to keep it a bit light. This game is not challenging, but it was simple and fun, with nice collectibles and I find the need to play it out and see what happens. I think all levels of players will find this one enjoyable, especially is you liked the others in the series. Yes, I am adding this one to my ever growing collection.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

Edited on 12/03/2015 at 7:38:35 PM PST

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Dec 3, 15 7:43 PM
This would be a good game for children or a game to play with your child. Some puzzles might be difficult for a young child but if you play with him or her that should not be a problem. This should have been reviewed for language. I would not buy for a child because of at least one language issue. There is already too much bad language in the world and children don't need to learn "Suck" if they don't already know it. No child of mine would be allowed to say it. I can't control what teens and adults say but there is no reason to expose young children to that. How could I say "No" when there it is in my face in a holiday game? I don't even want to see bad language in adult games and so far, I don't think I have seen any. I at least don't recall seeing bad language in the games I have played though I do play scary and ugly games and do occasionally object to some visuals but haven't made an issue of them because those are clearly "adult" games (not for young ones).

The game is filled with cuteness and Christmas fun but it is not a Buy for me. Some things are difficult to see but the Hint fixes that. Still, as I have no young ones at home, I have no one to play it with and it is just a little too "young" for me. That's OK, I continue to enjoy many of this Devs other games and wil, no doubt, continue to buy them.

Edited on 12/03/2015 at 7:43:23 PM PST

Susanna2
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by Susanna2 on Dec 4, 15 1:26 AM
I immediately bought it. I'ts a sweet lovely game, very well done.

It is definitely for children at about 10 years age and unfortunately it has nothing from the enchantment of the earlier "christmas stories" games, with the classic music integrated and with the "all age story" feeling.

I don't regret having bought it. But it is not at all so impressive as the "nutcracker" or even the "tin soldier" from previous years.

A very well done childrens game.

And an edit:
Have you ever seen cats move so clumsy??

Edited on 12/04/2015 at 1:27:10 AM PST

bradalex
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by bradalex on Dec 4, 15 6:43 AM
I too must be a very elderly kid.
This is a lovely little bit of escapism, and I am enjoying the fact that there is no over stressed violence or evil paranoia to contend with.
I am not a particular cat lover ( prefer dogs but have never read the fairy tale " dog in boots ")but apart from the little kittens(a bit too sugary for me) I think every thing else is fine.
Oh and by the way I often give my oven a little pat when it performs well ( O.K. not really but this is the silly season!!!)
Finally, did anyone notice it's not eipix ( Gasp with shock!)

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Dec 4, 15 7:28 AM
I see the ghost of Ebeneezer Scrooge is alive and well....in a manner of speaking "Geared to three year olds"; how flattering of you to say so. Since I'm 65 and loved this game, I'm obviously in a second childhood....or possibly 4th or 5th, I've lost count

I bought this game without even trying it and I'm not in the least bit sorry! I love cats and dogs but honestly those kittens were so adorable; I was quite happy to fix their broken toys and find the presents they longed for. Yes it's a fairly easy game (although one or two of the puzzles were a bit tricky, especially the maze) but that doesn't negate the beauty and sheer Christmas magic that infuses every scene. The developer certainly knows how to present images of a fairytale Christmas and this game is no exception.

Gorgeous graphics, varied HOS, fun puzzles, collectible puzzle pieces, morphing characters from previous games in the series, a map that transports, 5 quite long chapters and a bonus that takes you back to Catstown after Christmas. Sadly you can't go back and find any puzzle pieces you missed, so it's worth checking the SG to find them (although a scene won't close if there's a puzzle piece in it, which does help).

As pretty as a picture and even more Christmassy than mince pies, this game is a visual treat that would melt even the hardest Well, almost

No technical issues with the full version; desktop running Win7 Prof 64-bit.

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Dec 4, 15 12:02 PM
I started out really liking this game. BUT then I started playing it & immediately became befuddled at the game play. I may be a gray haired old grannie but the game play just did not make any sense to me.

For example: I clicked on the magnifying glass & nothing happened. I then ended up clicking all around the scenes to find whatever it was that needed to be done. It just seemed quite strange to me. There just did not seem to be any rhyme or reason as how one found objects.

I got into the museum & needed to find differences...huh???? It all looked the same to me. I clicked on the SG & it showed 6 things circled in green & these were supposedly the differences. SO I clicked on them & guess what nothing happened. The hint button circled the table in the middle of the scene. SO I clicked on that. Again nothing happened. Needless to say I quickly exited the game as my blood pressure did not need to be raised anymore.

Everyone else has glowing reviews. What did I miss????

kandinsky
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

painting

[Post New]by kandinsky on Dec 4, 15 1:04 PM
well you need to put up the assembled painting to compare and only then will the differences register. I have gotten a little further but it is all the same sort of thing...

Go to: