lorgain
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

Pixel Shader 1.4

[Post New]by lorgain on Nov 6, 09 4:58 PM
Since the updated Elementals file, there is now an error message saying that my video card settings don't meet the minimum standards for Pixel Shader 1.4

I read on another forum that PS 1.4 is an ATI Radeon chip set feature that the rare game developer takes advantage of.

Stick a fork in me --I'm done. Next game, please Big Fish. You can file this one in the big round file cabinet.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

Re:Pixel Shader 1.4

[Post New]by Howatch on Nov 6, 09 5:02 PM
ATI introduced pixel shader 1.4 in 2003, according to what I have read. That's a long time ago, so this game requiring it now certainly does not seem unreasonable to me. How old is your video card?

Edited on 11/06/2009 at 5:03:42 PM PST

lorgain
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by lorgain on Nov 6, 09 6:07 PM
Howatch, I started this thread so that other end users wouldn't have to search through all the suggestions that CS and others recommend.

GeForce4 MX 4000. I can't remember how old it is. And it doesn't matter. It's not my problem. Follow all the other threads. It's the rare computer that can play this crufty thing and so far, most seem to have ATI. I think that an Intel chipset with graphic acceleration might work too, but I don't know for how long. I'm not willing to invest that much time in a computer that isn't my gaming box.

This is the first BigFish game I couldn't tweek into running. But I don't normally play the graphic intensive first person 3D shooters. Don't like 'em. My card supports all the latest Adobe features --shockwave and flashplayer. Should be good. I know it's good enough for me.

Perhaps you didn't notice that BF put an auto update alert into the BF desktop interface. Never seen that before either. AND --did I mention that PS 1.4 is an ATI chipset feature that is driven by ATI Radeon drivers? Sometimes you can emulate some of these features with utilities. Not this time. Not even 3D-Analyze which specifically has the option to emulate PS 1.0 or 1.4.

Did I mention that in that first post that as old as PS 1.4 is, only rarely do game developers take advantage of that chipset feature. When's the last time you read an HOG forum that referred to PS 1.4?

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Nov 6, 09 7:04 PM
I have an ATI Radeon card, but it is a card that was released in the last couple of years, and the game runs flawlessly for me. I do understand your annoyance with this one particular game looking for pixel shader 1.4. Over time, though, casual-game developers will begin releasing games with more rigorous standards for video cards than have been required in the past, and the system requirements will be a bit more demanding. That's part and parcel of technology. I had a GeForce MX card at one time, but that was back in 2002 or so, and I wouldn't expect it now to run all newer games without problems. It isn't just FPS or brand-new retail box games that are utilizing pixel shaders and other more advanced features--that may have been the case a few years ago, but not any more.

Hopefully the information provided by you will help other gamers who are experiencing the same problem that you are, so it was good that you posted. I just don't believe that the developer should be taken to task for the problem that you experienced.

TJPorche
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by TJPorche on Nov 6, 09 10:05 PM
So what's the fix then? I'm completely computer illiterate so what you two are saying is totally Greek to me. Other games have worked that seem to have high graphic quality - I can't compare with this game since I've never ACTUALLY seen anything except the odd pic on the BFG home page, etc.

lorgain
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by lorgain on Nov 6, 09 10:36 PM
Hey TJ,

If you can't run this game, don't try to make it work. It's not worth your time in it's current form. The only certain fix is to run out and buy a new ATI Radeon video card. There's nothing wrong with your computer or your settings if you can run everything else but this one.

I read that BF had been in contact with the developer and there will be a new improved version released. Just my opinion, but I think when a game is turned loose while it's in this bad of a form, it's because of immaturity of the programming quality assurance staff. OR, times are tough and money is tight so they didn't bother to let this game go through the QA process at all. eek!!

In case you misunderstood, I'm not saying that BF is at fault here. BF is just the retail end of the chain. And OMG, can you imagine the tech support nightmare that something like this causes for the BF staff? I bet they all hate this game by now and hope they don't hear about it for a very long time.

Edited on 11/06/2009 at 10:44:44 PM PST

[Post New]by Fan__tasy on Nov 7, 09 5:24 PM
Howatch Some people Do not even know what Pixel Shader 1.4 is!! I have a 2004 computer and My computer can not run this game and that is after the 2003 release date you mentioned. I don't have the knowledge or the money to get that fixed to play a game like this... and if they start releasing a lot more games like this that require it I will look else where for games. Not every one knows how to build and fix home computers and certainly can not afford a brand new home computer, let alone know how to make sure everything is up to date in it.

I am glad I found this thread at least know I know to just uninstall this game and forget it.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Nov 7, 09 9:14 PM
Fan__tasy wrote:Howatch Some people Do not even know what Pixel Shader 1.4 is!! I have a 2004 computer and My computer can not run this game and that is after the 2003 release date you mentioned. I don't have the knowledge or the money to get that fixed to play a game like this... and if they start releasing a lot more games like this that require it I will look else where for games. Not every one knows how to build and fix home computers and certainly can not afford a brand new home computer, let alone know how to make sure everything is up to date in it.

I am glad I found this thread at least know I know to just uninstall this game and forget it.

I understand how you feel. I can't fix my own computer either--I have someone else do it when I am able to do so. I don't have a lot of money, so I certainly don't have the latest and greatest on my computer either. The good news is that most video card upgrades aren't terribly expensive, so if in the future you wanted to look into an upgrade for your card, it wouldn't break the bank.

paloma18
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by paloma18 on Nov 12, 09 8:04 PM
I am so glad that all of you are talking about this. I am not computer literate either! I tried everything!!! I did not know about PS1.4 whatever !! But at least now I can uninstall it for the umpteenth time and forget about it! Too bad 'cuz it's looks cool!

Edited on 11/12/2009 at 8:05:42 PM PST

bfgEuphrates
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,152 Posts

[Post New]by bfgEuphrates on Dec 2, 09 2:41 PM
Hi Fishies,

I apologize for the delay on this fix! Our testers have just given their stamp of approval to a new version of this game, so please click here to read our announcement about it.

Thank you for your patience everyone!

bfgEuphrates

Go to: