bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

The Dracula Files comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Nov 8, 09 12:58 AM
Here is what our reviewer thought of The Dracula Files. Post your own thoughts about the game in this thread and join the conversation! Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Comments:
The Dracula Files is a spine-chilling interactive Hidden Object game which takes place in modern times but essentially picks up where the original Dracula novel left off. In this exciting adventure through the Draco Winery, players must hunt for clues that they need to save their friend from the clutches of the infamous and diabolical head vampire. In addition to the Hidden Object scenes mini-games and puzzles of varying difficulty levels that players must solve, all of which have a “skip” button that can be used at any time. Many of the Hidden Object scenes are beautifully designed and really capture the overall feel of Dracula’s word, though some items are hidden in shadow, making them difficult to find. Fortunately, the auto-renewing hint system prevents players from ever truly being “stuck” in a scene. The cut scenes are rather different from the rest of the game, however, and are a bit more like cartoon or comic book art and aren’t nearly as grim in appearance. Also, while ancient vampires rule the storyline of this game, there is actually very little violence (only one, brief scene) and no actual visible blood. Players looking for a fright fest through and through won’t find that here, but this is good news for the squeamish and easily frightened, such as younger players.

Game Modes:
The Dracula Files offers both timed and untimed modes.

Depth:
The Dracula Files consist of 30 levels, including an array of mini-games. An experienced Hidden Object gamer could most likely complete it within six hours.

Similar to:
Players that enjoy other spooky interactive Hidden Object games such as Vampire Saga: Pandora’s Box and Ghost Town Mysteries: Bodie may enjoy The Dracula Files

Difficulty level:
The difficulty of The Dracula Files varies depending on the mode chosen, but some of the items are very well-hidden in patterns and shadow and some of the puzzles are challenging.

Reviewed by E.G.

Edited on 11/08/2009 at 1:38:52 PM PST

MollyMeow
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

Re:The Dracula Files comments and reviews

[Post New]by MollyMeow on Nov 8, 09 3:16 AM
I like to live and let live....what's good for some is bad for others, and vice-versa. HowEVER....this game, I have to say, is the PITS! If you DO play the demo, first thing you'll want to do is go to options and turn of the game cursor, which is very slow and stalling. Might also want to turn that music way down low....it's like an old record that skips in places.
Ok, so now you can crack your knuckles and start playing right? WRONG! Go pour a nice, hot cup of coffee, take a potty break, let the cats out/dogs in, maybe whip up a batch of brownies....by the the intro movie MIGHT be over (can't seem to just skip through or fast forward it, folks....so like it, or leave it).
NOW you're ready to start. What can I say??? The objects are somewhat difficult to find (great for us HOG fans), but some are just ridiculous and either undetectable, or just don't look anything like they should.
The hints, which you will need unless you have 10/10 vision, do refill fairly fast. But oh, so annoying when the big whatchamacallit thingy that locates the item lingers on the screen after you click the found item.
Don't even think to rapid/random click to get through a scene quickly, in hopes of moving on to perhaps find the game gets better as you go. The penalty is a darkened, disabled screen that seems to last forEVER!
Opted out and deleted the game after 15 minutes, most of which was a total waste of time gritting my teeth through the intro movie.
By the way, this is my first negative review. How'd I do?
PS-Sorry game creators....I know you all worked long, hard hours on this game. But, it just doesn't appear ready to be out in public.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Nov 8, 09 4:05 AM
> By the way, this is my first negative review. How'd I do?

Constructive criticism like yours is always good. It's how games get improved.

Bella43099
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Bella43099 on Nov 8, 09 4:52 AM
I Wasted My Free Hour Just Trying To Read The Dialogue! I Will Wait For The $2.99 Version

qwerty4
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by qwerty4 on Nov 8, 09 5:45 AM
Good graphics in the HOA scenes. Choice of timed or relaxed mode. Some items VERY small. Endless dialog that cannot be skipped done as a cartoon. I finished about half way through during the demo hour and I am s-l-o-w and like to take my time. I will wait for the 2.99 version if ever.

Tailteann
Clownfish
Clownfish
584 Posts

[Post New]by Tailteann on Nov 8, 09 6:00 AM
I tried to download my free hour and got stuck on waiting for activation for so long I had to close my BF game folder b/c I had to log off. I log on to check now and it says my hour trial is up. It looks like I didn't miss much, in the first hour at least.

Good thing I've Revo b/c the standard unintsall left a lot junk behind too.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Nov 8, 09 6:08 AM
Mollymeow - LOVED your review!!!

kayjay97
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by kayjay97 on Nov 8, 09 6:11 AM
I actually liked the game. When I randomly clicked I didn't get a darkened screen. My cursor went red for a couple of seconds. Music for me didn't skip at all

Some items are hard to find. But between the hints (which yes are very fast LOL) and the view in the little screen to see what it looks like I was able to find most.

I did like the story line, which is what usually grabs me

Not much interaction however. There is some which silly me got stuck on one LOL. All in all a basic HOG game. The mini games were eh. The chess one frustrated me however. The spot the difference I came across was like all others. However, I found you couldn't use your hints and I was down to the last item, couldn't find it and had to skip the game. Seemed silly but there was no penalty so what ever

Would I buy it? Maybe. Will wait to see what else hits. After games like Ravenhurst, Joyville etc, it DOES seem a little mundane

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Nov 8, 09 6:28 AM
I lasted 7 whole minutes. So dark. Graphic are horrible. And the record skips.
I would not buy this one even if it was 2.99.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Nov 8, 09 7:25 AM
This was one of the worsest hogs I have played for years! I won`t buy it even for 99 cent! I hope for a better game tomorrow!

[Post New]by terriejane12 on Nov 8, 09 7:50 AM
Incredibly short game. Finished it in less than 2 hrs. Not worth the $6.99.

JessF
Clownfish
Clownfish
773 Posts

[Post New]by JessF on Nov 8, 09 8:58 AM
The story was moderately interesting but not worth having to watch the incredibly bad cartoons to see what happens.
HOG scenes were OK - although even after getting a hint I sometimes couldn't tell what I was clicking on.
Counting puzzles as levels is really not fair. The BFG review said 6 hours. I did 3 levels in 10 minutes so more like 1.5-2 hours for me.
I still might have bought except for the bad cartoons.

Sorry. Most of the HOGs lately have been pretty bad. Only bought 1 game this month and rather regret that. So much for November fest.

huggzz
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by huggzz on Nov 8, 09 9:52 AM
I'm disgusted... This game was way overpriced for the free hour. I tried to play but got stuck immediately.. with the "8" . easy enough when you know how but who can do that unless you have some clue... That being said, the whole thing crashed my computer. Took over 1 hour to fix that!!
Not at all pleased...

Annie

ninja3311
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by ninja3311 on Nov 8, 09 10:10 AM
After a few minutes of play, I find this game boring. Way too much dialog for me.

peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,444 Posts

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on Nov 8, 09 10:49 AM
What she said. Game was awful. Wouldn't play it for free. A waste of time.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Nov 8, 09 11:13 AM
i have to agree with most of the comments, too dark, cursor too big, some of the objects are waaaaay too small. overall i would not recomend this game

Poof11
Clownfish
Clownfish
503 Posts

[Post New]by Poof11 on Nov 8, 09 11:32 AM
This game was boring , if the Eagles/Dallas game was on earlier, I wouldn't have wasted my time!
If you are going to play you need to remove the cursor but if you are like me the cursor will still reappear on its own, giving me two cursors, which really slows down the game. Also deselect the graphic.
The game is way too dark. The storyline needs a skip section.....you can click all you want but that storyline is not gonna move forward until it is ready too. Some objects you can click on forever before it actually recognized that it is the item that you needed.
I also had problems the first time I tried downloading this morning. My computer froze and had to restart. The second time worked though and was much faster.
All in all, if you can't sleep and need something to help....Try this game....it should do the job.

SoHoGirl
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by SoHoGirl on Nov 8, 09 11:38 AM
I'm afaid I have to agree with what sounds like the majority here. I really, wanted to like this game, but found it so time consuming and not in a good way....I love a nice long game...but this time consuming was spent on darkened screens and blah, blah, blah dialog. I gave up on it. I think I am in a game slump right now. I am waiting for the next great Azada or Return to Ravenhearst type game to come out. I'm sure that some gamers out there will have the exact opposite opinion of mine and I hope they do, that's what makes Big Fish such a great game site....differences of opinions. Thanks to everyone who takes time to write reviews I base a lot of my buying decisions on what others think and most of these games seem to be spot on!

castellerin
Herring
Herring
347 Posts

[Post New]by castellerin on Nov 8, 09 12:04 PM
well I think I can skip this demo and wait for tomorrow. Thanks Fish!

gailfriend429
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by gailfriend429 on Nov 8, 09 12:07 PM
MollyMeow wrote:I like to live and let live....what's good for some is bad for others, and vice-versa. HowEVER....this game, I have to say, is the PITS! If you DO play the demo, first thing you'll want to do is go to options and turn of the game cursor, which is very slow and stalling. Might also want to turn that music way down low....it's like an old record that skips in places.
Ok, so now you can crack your knuckles and start playing right? WRONG! Go pour a nice, hot cup of coffee, take a potty break, let the cats out/dogs in, maybe whip up a batch of brownies....by the the intro movie MIGHT be over (can't seem to just skip through or fast forward it, folks....so like it, or leave it).
NOW you're ready to start. What can I say??? The objects are somewhat difficult to find (great for us HOG fans), but some are just ridiculous and either undetectable, or just don't look anything like they should.
The hints, which you will need unless you have 10/10 vision, do refill fairly fast. But oh, so annoying when the big whatchamacallit thingy that locates the item lingers on the screen after you click the found item.
Don't even think to rapid/random click to get through a scene quickly, in hopes of moving on to perhaps find the game gets better as you go. The penalty is a darkened, disabled screen that seems to last forEVER!
Opted out and deleted the game after 15 minutes, most of which was a total waste of time gritting my teeth through the intro movie.
By the way, this is my first negative review. How'd I do?
PS-Sorry game creators....I know you all worked long, hard hours on this game. But, it just doesn't appear ready to be out in public.

Molly
Thank you for your assessment of this game....I don't like endliess dialogue and lengthy intros to anything...I like to get to it!! Based on yours and others' reviews, think I'll skip this one and save my credit for a cool game that meets my requirements! LOL Loved the Puppet Game, there are a bunch of good ones on BFG, guess this is just not one of them! THanks again all

xxoogailfriend

Go to: