bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Gardenscapes comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Nov 10, 09 1:09 AM
Here is what our reviewer thought of Gardenscapes. Post your own thoughts about the game in this thread and join the conversation! Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Comments:
Gardenscapes is a beautifully designed and well-blended mix of the Time Management and Hidden Object genres. What makes this game innovative is how much the gameplay makes sense in the context of the storyline, which uses second-person narrative to really make the story your own. A beautiful but run-down mansion has been left to you by your late uncle and you have little income, so the best way to earn money to fix the place up is to host jumble sales to earn some extra cash. As you explore each cluttered room of the house, buyers will come looking for specific items which you must locate quickly to earn as much money as possible. You’ll also occasionally be faced with extra challenges in which you’re asked to look for specific items by an important person or organization, which helps change the game up a bit. Additionally, between levels you can not only customize your garden using the money you’ve earned but also interact with your butler (hint: try clicking on him, the phone, the dog, etc…) which is a nice touch. Your garden even doubles as a screensaver! It is a bit unfortunate that there are only 15 rooms to explore, but each one is well-designed and often times you’ll see movement, such as a floating butterfly or burning candle. Overall, this is a great game for those that love mixing genres, bright, colorful artwork and a feeling of personalization in their games.

Game Modes:
Gardenscapes offers the ability to switch between “Against the Clock” and “Relaxed” at any time.

Depth:
Gardenscapes offers 15 rooms to explore and can be completed in about four to five hours.

Similar to:
Players that enjoyed the concept of Antique Shop and customization as seen in Babylonia will appreciate what Gardenscapeshas to offer.

Difficulty level:
Gardenscapesis moderately challenging, with options to renew hints as well as the ability to play untimed.

Reviewed by E.G.

Edited on 11/10/2009 at 9:07:12 AM PST

U25150
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

Re:Gardenscapes comments and reviews

[Post New]by U25150 on Nov 10, 09 5:05 AM
I'm not a real big fan of HOGs, though I will buy them. With that written, OMG!

I LOVE THIS GAME!!!!!

The graphics are good, the sound is great. The butler is very entertaining. Clicking on different things in the garden will cause them to interact, either with you or the butler.

The twist of having garage sales to earn money for upgrading the garden is brilliant. This isn't your regular HOG.

On a scale of 1 - 5 I give this game ....

Happy Gaming!

memawclay2
Salmon
Salmon
2,712 Posts

[Post New]by memawclay2 on Nov 10, 09 5:10 AM
Oh what a sweet game, my hour just flew by ! This is a very easy, very relaxing game in untimed mode. The Butler and pet doggie are too precious for mere words.
The jumble sale premise is a very nice twist in this H O/SIM, especially accumulating enough money to buy your choice in garden decorations.
I took my time exploring each unlocked room thoroughly, often forgetting to look for my "customers" wants. The additional hidden coins, cameras, thermometers and question marks are a jolly added bonus.
This looks to be an exceptional and well crafted game, full of all those little unexpected "tidbits" that can charm a miserly player (like me, lol) right out of a hoarded credit.
Ka-ching

bailey8877
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by bailey8877 on Nov 10, 09 5:43 AM
I enjoyed this game quite a bit that I was actually surprised when my trial was over.

This is a HOG with a twist. The idea of this game is you inherent a garden that is in disrepair and it's your job to fix it up, but you need to find money first. The butler who takes care of the house suggests selling things from the different rooms. In comes the HOG part. The faster you find and sell the items the more money you make. The more rooms you get through the faster you need to move and the more things your required to find.
Look for question marks,cameras,and thermometers for extra hints. When you push a question mark it will show you a picture of it, but not the location of the item. Also look for coins hidden in the scenes for extra money to buy items to repair your garden.

I give it a 3 1/2 out of 5, but I'm still on the fence (no pun intended) about purchasing it.

kishimojun
Stingray
Stingray
4,534 Posts

[Post New]by kishimojun on Nov 10, 09 5:46 AM
I this game, too! I was going to purchase after maybe 10 minutes of play, but I couldn't drag myself away from it til the hour was up! One of the best HOG/TMs you've put out in ages . Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Diana_Mc
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by Diana_Mc on Nov 10, 09 5:49 AM
I hunted this down earlier and played the demo from another site (developer maybe?). It's not a straight HOG - as a non-TM person, I'd say there are TM elements there, although they are not too difficult.

It is a cute game and an online friend had mentioned it first. What I'd like to know is whether anyone else sold the cat? I mentioned that I'd done it and then felt bad and she thought she'd done something wrong ! I was rushing so to find everything that I had sold it before I thought about it.

BTW, this game locked up when my demo was nearly over and I got something like an extra 46 mins. of playing time. I thought I would lose all my "stuff" but had only lost the doghouse so it must automatically save every once in awhile. After this incident, the cat showed up again, although it wasn't for sale and I don't remember if it was the original room.

Neat game and I've gotten the demo although "hurry up" games aren't good for me.

mamaduke63
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by mamaduke63 on Nov 10, 09 5:51 AM
Love this game, your right the time flys by. I am not sure about purchasing it as it looks like it might be a short game. We will see.

Good Job Big Fish

MamaDuke

Edited on 11/10/2009 at 5:52:24 AM PST

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Nov 10, 09 6:24 AM
Thanks for the early reviews. This looks like a good HOG with a twist. I will give it a run and post my 2-cents worth soon.

grabbinbugs
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

[Post New]by grabbinbugs on Nov 10, 09 6:27 AM
By no means is this a short game...it takes a lot of hidden objects to buy your garden upgrades. Has 2 modes, relaxed and timed. Everything about this game is cute and pleasant. Naming the dog was a nice touch. The graphics are excellent and most objects are easy/medium to spot. Mini games consist of special finds of 20 like items. Have yet to see any other kind of mini games. The hint system is done in multiple ways such as using a camera...thermometer etc. I would recommend this game to anyone.

Edited on 11/10/2009 at 6:34:49 AM PST

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Nov 10, 09 6:53 AM
I bought this game from the developer - couldn't wait. It's an UNENDING game. After you finish adding all the possible stuff to your garden, you can keep doing more jumble sales. Yes it's the same rooms, but some of the items in the rooms are in different locations (some of them are always in the same spot in that room, but some have half a dozen different places they might be).

cyndihugs
Salmon
Salmon
2,926 Posts

[Post New]by cyndihugs on Nov 10, 09 7:20 AM
I also bought this game from the developer a couple of weeks ago (hey, it was on sale 1/2 price till Nov. 11th!)

IMO, this is one of the best games I've played in a very long time! It's a mixture of Hidden objects and TM...hidden objects for when you're going to the jumble sales, TM when fixing up the garden and house plus there are a couple (maybe more), minigames in the jumble sales. You'll have someone send you a letter asking for different things like 'wine/flashlights/one lady cannot find the pearls off of her necklace so while doing the sale, you're also looking for those pearls and not just in one game/sale either, the same goes for some candy that someone wants or lost, can't remember and I know there were a couple of more minigames but can't remember the rest of them. To me, it is not a short game at all....I played it for over 3 hours last night and I 'think' I'm getting near the end of the contest. Oh and it also has a screensaver which is cool, the bulter talks and plays with the dog on it and you can enable it to rain or not, yep on the screensaver. The bulter is so funny, especially when you get him a golf game in the garden. Let's see what else, you can carry on a conversion with the bulter, click on the dog and make him do a couple of different things and when you add things to the garden, you always have a choice of 3 different types of flowers/pond/statue, etc ya want in the garden, not to mention that you can always go back and change them to one of the other three. (sometimes the bulter will drop hints on what should be in the garden), that way you can go back and change it and yep, it does cost you some money to do the changing but not that much. I know there's more but at the moment I cannot think of them all....oh and you can click on....let's say, the bench and the bulter will go sit on it, click on the flowers and he waters them...poor man, at one time I kept clicking on the telephone for him to go answer it...this is a great game!

now about this cat...lol...I hear one meowing but don't see it nor did I know I could sell it. LOL

Overall and again IMO I give this game 5 easy!

If ya haven't tried, don't pass it up....give it a try, okay?

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Nov 10, 09 8:04 AM
lordkalvan wrote:I bought this game from the developer - couldn't wait. It's an UNENDING game. After you finish adding all the possible stuff to your garden, you can keep doing more jumble sales. Yes it's the same rooms, but some of the items in the rooms are in different locations (some of them are always in the same spot in that room, but some have half a dozen different places they might be).

Off to try it now. I love the concept of the objects being in different places in the rooms on repeat visits! This is one of the things I posted about WAY back when we had the big "what do like in HOGs" thread sometime last year I think.

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Nov 10, 09 8:05 AM
I'm Back!! I played for 45 minutes and enjoyed the game greatly. I can't add anything to the previous comments. It's a good HOG with 15 rooms to explore. While you visit each room several times, the objects change. I played in the timed mode and found myself rushing to beat the clock. I love a great rush early in the morning.-- This is a buy for me and will add to me Novemberfest purchases. Great job! Wonderful graphics, lots of objects to find and an interesting addition with building your garden. For those who like screensavers, one is included! All thumbs up .

PS -- Thanks to those who have indicated that you think this is a reasonably timed game!

mamaduke63
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by mamaduke63 on Nov 10, 09 8:18 AM
I gave in and purchased the game, I have been playing for approximatley 3 hours including the free trial. I think all you fishes out there should give it a try.

MamaDuke

Tell me what you think

Edited on 11/10/2009 at 8:19:53 AM PST

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Nov 10, 09 8:34 AM
Excellent game. Bought it.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Nov 10, 09 8:41 AM
I ALWAYS READ BEFORE I PLAY AND EVERYBODY GAVE THIS SUCH A HIGH REVIEW..IT REMINDED ME OF WONDER BABIES ? I AM ANXIOUSLY WAITING .... AND WAITING.....SORRY ITS NOT A KEEPER FOR ME..I TURNED THE SOUND UP & I NEVER DO THAT..YES IT WAS ..MELLOW....BUT..REALLY...THERE IS NO REPLAY VALUE TO ME...I CANT SEE BUYING THIS ONE.....IKES ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST....AND ..ANOTHER ONE...ETC.... .....BUT FOR THOSE THAT IT...ENJOY!!!!

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Nov 10, 09 9:08 AM
I have tested this game already of the website from the developer and I absolutely love it! I have waited patiently for the release of bigfish! I will buy it definitely this week! Great game!

[Post New]by jripSoCal on Nov 10, 09 9:34 AM
I like the game, but I'm having trouble with it shutting down when I try to buy a design, and the buyers names flickering. The trial ran fine, but now that I've bought it, it's bugging out.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Nov 10, 09 10:15 AM
OK....I LIED.....I BOUGHT IT...BUT I DID;NT WANT TO . THE DEVIL MADE ME DO IT .REALLY NEEDED MY FIX..AND THERE IS NOTHING ELSE AROUND..I NO I WILL REGRET THIS....BIG TIME...WHAT CAN I SAY IAM A ADDICT ...SEE YA WED..SAME TIME & PLACE...

suss1
Clownfish
Clownfish
555 Posts

[Post New]by suss1 on Nov 10, 09 10:18 AM
I thought I couldn´t be satisfied with any game while waiting for MCF, I was wrong. Bought it, love it

Go to: