Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Elly Cooper and the City of Antiquity here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Dec 21, 15 12:48 AM
A thread for you reviews.

Edited on 12/21/2015 at 6:38:53 AM PST

hibtug
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Elly Cooper and the City of Antiquity here.

[Post New]by hibtug on Dec 21, 15 3:25 AM

Edited on 12/21/2015 at 6:52:12 AM PST

[Post New]by miss_marigold11 on Dec 21, 15 3:33 AM
Sometimes you have to wonder where BF finds some of their games. This game, at least the opening screen of a dirty cellar, is so familiar it's either an old game or one using others work. First, game is not full screened, colors and dark and dreary, barely any color. Items so small they should have provided a magnifying glass as a search item. I kept on with it as I really wanted to give it a try. Next hidden object screen not so dreary but still dark and colorless. Once again tiny tiny objects you could only find by accident. One nice thing.....good sound effects of ocean and birds. Kept going and finally gave up at third hidden object scene which was hard to find in itself. See for yourself....if you like dark and gloomy and impossible to find objects this is your cup of tea. I'll have to pass.

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Dec 21, 15 6:39 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Elly Cooper and the City of Antiquity here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Elly Cooper and the City of Antiquity.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

FrankieS77
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

[Post New]by FrankieS77 on Dec 21, 15 8:50 AM
This game attracted me because I like egyptian themes, But I agree with reviewer above Items to tiny to see hint is the best wayeverything is so muted they all run together. The HOG in the bathroom wants you to find 5 stars, I could only find them with the hint. I'm really agrivated that this game sucks!

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Dec 21, 15 11:15 AM

City of Antiquity - Not As Old As You Might Think

You play Ellise - please, it's Elly! - Cooper, a beautiful explorer who has just returned from abroad. Your father Henry Cooper, rather than greeting you in person, sends a letter arranging a meeting. There, he tells you of an important discovery he's just made and that he wants you to join him immediately on an expedition. Naturally, at this point things fail to go as planned. The era is the 1920's.

While the style of the game suggests it is a few years old, it seems to have been released only recently. The atmosphere is dark, dreary and dingy. The scenes are colored mostly in brown, dark brown, and even darker browns. The voices are well done, but if you have the sound turned off you'll have to focus carefully on the written dialog because it appears only briefly.

The game play, particularly in the hidden object scenes, is more difficult than the typical game. Objects are frequently hidden by very (very) nuanced shading, as well as small size. You should always try games for yourself, but I would imagine this would be extremely difficult to play on a laptop screen. The other thing about the game play is that it is more adventure style than the typical hidden object game. That means a little more exploring, a slower pace, fewer active areas, and not-so-obvious use of objects.

There is a map which subtly highlights available locations with a pulsating glow and shows where there are tasks to complete. The hint system is also good (sorry, I did not take note the refresh time). And though this is a standard edition, there are also extras like achievements and 55 collectible coins.

If you like light, easy, happy games, this one may not be to your liking. I did enjoy the demo and, since I have some credits to use, I will probably purchase this one. Definitely give it a try, especially if your preference leans toward adventure games. City of Antiquity is old-style, but not antiquated.

EDIT: the map shows areas with tasks only when you use a hint.

Edited on 12/21/2015 at 2:03:31 PM PST

Valkara
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Valkara on Dec 21, 15 1:30 PM
Microscopic items, no intuitive way to figure out what is needed to do things or where to go, the inventory area doesn't lock, and the whole tone is dingy and depressing.

No sale.

didersham
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
409 Posts

[Post New]by didersham on Dec 21, 15 1:39 PM
This game is refreshing to play to me. Not the same, old same old, copy paste CE games that have been coming out. I found it more challenging and uniquely fun to play!

luvnascar
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by luvnascar on Dec 26, 15 3:27 PM
I'm very disappointed that there isn't any walkthroughs. This is a hard and frustrating game. I'm sorry I bought it.

[Post New]by cleo0528 on Dec 27, 15 7:05 PM
why isn't there a walkthrough for this game? it seems like a good game, but no good hints. I am almost sorry that i bought it. Can anyone help?

KDinMD43
Guppy
Guppy
198 Posts

Re: Already bored.

[Post New]by KDinMD43 on Dec 28, 15 9:02 AM
I thought this would be a little more helpful in easy mode. But the constant "nothing to do here" is really frustrating. I am NOT an expert player by any means but think there ought to be some logic to it....

Heavy sigh...

Noelski
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by Noelski on Dec 30, 15 12:33 AM
I loved the graphics in this game, beautifully illustrated and imaginative. My biggest complaints are as follows:
1) The puzzles made absolutely no sense whatsoever. Not a single one had any info that clearly explained the goal. Such a disappointment. I am a seasoned gamer but ended up skipping almost every single puzzle, not because they were difficult but because I had no idea what I was trying to achieve.
2) The HO games had the teeniest tiniest little items to find. Kind of ridiculous.
3) The Hint button was nearly useless. Most games tell you where you need to go next, not just a statement of "There's nothing to do here." No kidding, that's why I clicked Hint in the first place. It's especially annoying when you are in the right spot to take action, but the Hint gives you no idea which tool to use or what action to take. It just keeps highlighting the same spot over and over.

This could have been a much more enjoyable game. I'm really disappointed in this one.

[Post New]by MaxHopaLov on Dec 31, 15 1:28 PM
Any reviews on the full game???

[Post New]by marijkee123 on Jan 19, 16 1:16 PM
loved this game. It was just so challenging. I saw some of the reviews were a bit scathing but I thought I would give it a whirl and I'm glad I did. The storyline is excellent and I never lost the thread of the game which I can do sometimes. It is a little old fashioned but that doesn't bother me at all. It's true that some of the hidden objects are hard to find but that is part of the challenge. I enjoyed trying to find the coins in lots of the scenes. Loved the voices of some of the characters and they made me smile. I also loved the very varying locations. Some of the puzzles are a little hard, I thought, but I persevered with most of them, and with some of them it was like a light going on which made me feel good which is no bad thing. I would suggest you try the demo and take it from there. Some people will hate it but I'm not one of them..
I recommend this game!

Go to: