Racial Profiling within the game why?

[Post New]by Bloodrosewitch1 on Nov 10, 09 11:57 PM
Hi, I really do love the game and have enjoyed it up to this point. I think that some people may find it offensive when you get to the flashlight request, Yes find 20 flashlights that were taken by the owner from a "THIEF" who has reformed them. Great except for the fact that the avatar for this person just happens to be a "BLACK MALE" .! The smart remark by the house caretaker about locking the gate from now on just adds to the racial profiling or negativity that I hope we as people are trying to get past. Maybe there is another way, he could have been a local handy man who just loses things while working. Just not a thief! Thanks

rentonwa
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,075 Posts

Re:Racial Profiling within the game why?

[Post New]by rentonwa on Nov 11, 09 12:35 AM
I didn't even realize the potential profiling - what I thought when that chapter came up was "hmm, they're using one of the customers for this character..."
I see your point, though.

kishimojun
Stingray
Stingray
4,534 Posts

[Post New]by kishimojun on Nov 11, 09 2:33 AM
I agree. It's rare enough to find black characters in games anyway, and now when they throw one in this game he is a thief. There was similar stereotyping in 3 Cards to Midnight with the Indian motel owner. Although I'm not sure a handyman would have been much of an improvement for a black character, everyone else was a collector of some kind.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Nov 11, 09 3:21 AM
That bothered me too, why a thief. I keep looking for customers or other characters to be of color, so far not but I'm not to the end. I can see a little kid sneaking in for apples regardless of race, or wanting all the balls back that went over the fence, they missed the boat there.

Outside of that, I'm enjoying the game very much and wish I could bring Austin home with me. I could use a caretaker and the doggie.

memawclay2
Salmon
Salmon
2,712 Posts

[Post New]by memawclay2 on Nov 11, 09 3:46 AM
I think the key word we are missing here is REFORMED thief, meaning he has seen and changed his past behavior. Forgiveness for his past life is displayed by the return of all 20 flashlights.
Racial profiling never crossed my mind and I lock all my doors every night, including my car doors. Why invite trouble?
Should I be offended that the Butler is not female, non-Caucasian and under 65 ?
Should I be offended that Woofer appears to be a non-pedigreed mixed breed canine ?
Too much agonizing over social angst, I far prefer enjoying my new game simply because it is just a game.
But thank you for pointing out my anthropological failings. I shall try to be a better person.

shaboo58
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by shaboo58 on Nov 11, 09 4:16 AM
It's just a game people. Thank you Memaclay2, couldn't have put it better myself.
Enjoy the game people, have fun.

bedheadkg
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by bedheadkg on Nov 11, 09 4:36 AM
I didn't even notice. Not all the other characters are collectors either, I've found pearls for a lady who broke her necklace, and chess pieces for a chess player. I've also noticed that their is a range of races/nationalities represented in the customers.

bronte311
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by bronte311 on Nov 11, 09 4:56 AM
I think "little" things like this do matter, so I'm glad you brought it up. I didn't get that far in the game, but I do think game designers should pay attention to what characteristics they assign to "bad" and "good" characters in the game, including that of race. Even if he's a reformed thief, if he's the only person of color in the game (and it sounds like he is?), that's a definite problem and one the creators of the game should have caught.

By making their characters just a little more diverse, it sounds like the creators of this game could have made a great game even better!

bedheadkg
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by bedheadkg on Nov 11, 09 5:00 AM
To clarify, he is definitely NOT the only person of colour in the game.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Nov 11, 09 5:02 AM
Well, I think racial profiling is over the top way of putting it, to me it felt like stereotyping. It just jumped out for me since it is still so rare to see black characters in games yet. Maybe it's my old age, like remembering when there were no black dolls on the market, they were all white. Maybe games will catch up and be more inclusive.

I didn't even notice buyers' avatars, guess my eyes just go to the items.

We did just have a thread from Turkey re using Arabic in the game about Turks, and okay, just games, but I could see the the point and sensitivity from research lacking there and how it could be offensive.

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Nov 11, 09 7:03 AM
Yes, I was revolted by that stereotypical British butler accent myself (that disappeared mysteriously when he "WOW'd"). Please. That's a tad over the top. I suppose it was "racial profiling" when the black boy was looking for a book to read, too? IMHO if anyone sees racism in this silly little game, they're really working hard at looking for it everywhere the eyes rest. If that thief was any other race, OP wouldn't have said a word.

I'm going to shut up now.

[Post New]by spiritsdancer on Nov 11, 09 7:13 AM
The misguided point is, if the thief had been white, or hispanic or asian it would have been ok and wouldn't be considered racial profiling anymore? If you want to gripe over that, then gripe every single time a caucasian, asian, or hispanic person is portrayed as a thief as well. Plenty of games have them portrayed as bad characters. I haven't heard anything negative about that though! Seriously, get over yourself.

Diamond71
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by Diamond71 on Nov 11, 09 8:19 AM
Had to put in my thoughts on this.I was having such a fun time with this game ,Ididnt notice if the thief was pink,purple,black,white,etc.And the butler was so cute,I didnt really pay attention to his accent.I was just enjoying the new twist on a HOG.I have a excellant idea color everyone PURPLE.

Tailteann
Clownfish
Clownfish
584 Posts

[Post New]by Tailteann on Nov 11, 09 8:45 AM
Thanks for bringing this up Bloodrosewitch. While I don't think it's racial profiling, it is stereotyping, more especially so given most games are in large characterized almost exclusively by white characters. Like someone else mentioned, I hope video games catch up with everything else so incidences like this wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb.

ZooB
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by ZooB on Nov 11, 09 9:06 AM
You are a sad bunch of bored-to-tears people. Get out, get a life, do something away from your computer. who cares what color the characters are, they are characters! These are supposed to be fun, and your pettiness takes all the fun out of it. BTW, i agree, color them all purple, maybe the aliens might be peeved!

[Post New]by MistressVo on Nov 11, 09 11:34 AM
You know I haven't gotten that far in the game but IT IS problematic. Racial profiling isn't the exact word to use because that would mean that you looked at the the avatar, noticed it's race and then the game or you assumed things based on race. You know what the problem with it is? The portrayal of people in racially stigmatized ways. If you don't get it then you probably don't notice all of the ways this sort of thing is reinforced.

Yeah, it is just a game. But how else do you think these sorts of stereotypes persist and exist? If it's casually in a game it's because it's so pervasive. You know you're pretty lucky if you've never felt censure from people because they do racial or social profiling. And if you've never had that happen then maybe you can stop for a second and think about what that might be like. Maybe it's not a big deal to you to have an African American portrayed as thief, reformed or otherwise, but then again maybe you don't notice how commonly people jump to some pretty messed up conclusions based on people's race/ethnicity.

tijhea
Salmon
Salmon
2,547 Posts

[Post New]by tijhea on Nov 11, 09 11:58 AM
I'am half African American.. If I'am not yelling out racial profiling.. Then It's not racial profiling.

Hell I was just happy to see a African American In a game.

Ta Ta and happy gaming.

bfgErie
Catfish
Catfish
1,538 Posts

[Post New]by bfgErie on Nov 11, 09 12:21 PM
Hi everyone,

We appreciate your feedback about these types of issues. However, I do want to jump in here and remind people to please be respectful of each others comments. Topics like these will often times lead to rather heated back and forth comments. Let's try to keep the conversation civil and remember to be friendly to your fellow fishies!

bfgErie

suss1
Clownfish
Clownfish
555 Posts

[Post New]by suss1 on Nov 11, 09 1:54 PM
would it have been better...or worse if the reformed thief was white??
Or a Smoking woman
Or even worse...a fat smoking woman...
Politicly correct.....Not my cup of tea. Then the world would turn grey.

[Post New]by orlandomiki on Nov 11, 09 2:25 PM
I think all of you have too much time on your hands when you start analyzing what was put into a stupid game....

I bought the game and never even noticed the color of the thief....I am willing to bet that the majority of people playing the game just continued and never gave it another thought...

I , for 1, rarely read diolog or play with sound....I just like to find the objects and have fun....

Not trying to cause an uproar but come on it is a game.....

Go to: