Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Dec 5, 10 8:59 AM
nascnmbr3 wrote:
Mr_Russ wrote:
I put in my dates 1806,1808,1812,1747 and click the lever and nothing!!!.
Before you give up in disgust, a previous poster noticed that 1812 was in the grid twice. See if that helps.

I have looked for it being in there twice, My neighbors have looked, my kids have looked, my wife has looked its not in there !!!!!!

BFG owes me a functioning game or a refund !!!
One last check before you get in touch with BFG for a refund. Where does 1747 come from?

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by nascnmbr3 on Dec 5, 10 9:07 AM
Mr_Russ wrote:
nascnmbr3 wrote:
Mr_Russ wrote:
Before you give up in disgust, a previous poster noticed that 1812 was in the grid twice. See if that helps.

I have looked for it being in there twice, My neighbors have looked, my kids have looked, my wife has looked its not in there !!!!!!

One last check before you get in touch with BFG for a refund. Where does 1747 come from?

The Fax Machine

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Dec 5, 10 9:09 AM
Ok. Click on the green envelope on the right, then the Contact Us hyperlink, then select Technical Issues from the drop-down list.

melissasignal
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by melissasignal on Dec 5, 10 10:05 AM
I will not name names or point fingers, but I cannot help wondering why sooo many fishies out there post reviews of a game after having only spent 20 or so minutes into a trial of the game. I do read the forums for fellow gamers opinions and even base some of my decisions to purchase on reviews, but when I read that someone decided it's a "no buy" after only 10,15, 20 minutes into the trial, I'm thinking the reviewer was simply impatient and their review is a waste of my time to read. Likewise the reviews that state it's a " " 10 minutes in. Not to offend mind you, just saying...

Sinsaint
Clownfish
Clownfish
635 Posts

[Post New]by Sinsaint on Dec 5, 10 10:57 AM
melissasignal wrote:I will not name names or point fingers, but I cannot help wondering why sooo many fishies out there post reviews of a game after having only spent 20 or so minutes into a trial of the game. I do read the forums for fellow gamers opinions and even base some of my decisions to purchase on reviews, but when I read that someone decided it's a "no buy" after only 10,15, 20 minutes into the trial, I'm thinking the reviewer was simply impatient and their review is a waste of my time to read. Likewise the reviews that state it's a " " 10 minutes in. Not to offend mind you, just saying...

For some people a few minutes of demo is enough to form an opinion. MY demo shut off after 23 minutes so someone thought that was enough play time to form an opinion.

[Post New]by lovemymini on Dec 5, 10 11:10 AM
I think I like Dire Grove better than 13th skull. I don't like having the objectives stated for me, I like to do things by myself not being told what to do. It's fun, but not as much fun as the previous two I played, so yes, I am kind of disappointed.

books4me13
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by books4me13 on Dec 5, 10 11:30 AM
I really loved Madame Fate, Prime Suspects and Huntsville, so I was really, really excited about 13th Skull. My daughter loves it, but I really, really hate it ...

1) There's no really clear path. You can't play without going to the strategy guide every step. I found the map pieces, but Pippy the irritating dog (along with the darn drip-drip-drips) wouldn't let me at it. I couldn't find the darn bone (who would have thought to look in the refrigerator?)
2) The play is sooooo slow ... go to one room to talk to someone about stuff that really doesn't help, go to one room to get something, go down the steps and out the door to get something else, go back in and up the steps but to the left to get one more thing ... you call this fun?

I know you have fans of this game, but how about a little something for someone who loves to play fast? Madame Fate 2?

fauxgina
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by fauxgina on Dec 5, 10 12:20 PM
melissasignal wrote:...when I read that someone decided it's a "no buy" after only 10,15, 20 minutes into the trial, I'm thinking the reviewer was simply impatient and their review is a waste of my time to read.

It's funny you should say that because I just "played" the demo for 16 minutes ("played" in quotes because at least half of that time was spent watching poor quality acting) and uninstalled it from my computer, never to download again, and certainly never to buy. I don't normally slate a game after such a short period of time playing because I appreciate that I have experienced a very small percentage of the overall game... but I think the reason I feel justified in being able to dismiss the game after a quarter of an hour is that MCF has a long history and I have come to expect a certain standard.

Live actors: Maybe if the script they were working to was any good, they would be more effective. I was turned off from the first minute when the little girl asks her father to read her one last chapter before bedtime -- he briefly mentions a pirate captain, but there is no story attached to draw you in, and all of a sudden it's "time for bed." This would have been the perfect opportunity to draw the player into the spirit of the game, but the sequence is over before it has even really begun.

"Interactive" interviewing: This was a big turn-off as well. When talking to people, if they finish a thought, a button comes up whereby you can talk to them about a specific subject that came up in their spiel -- but you can't choose a question to ask, you just click the button and start another spiel. I think it's supposed to feel interactive, but the execution feels contrived.

Music and sound effects: Annoying. I felt like I was watching an episode of "Roseanne" in a creaky old house.

I don't really know why this game is so far removed from Dire Grove, which was excellent. The interplay between live actors and animated environment worked well in DG (perhaps the video clips made it more palatable), the story was creepy and immediately engaged the player... It was just better in every way. This game looks like it should be of the same high quality, but it falls flat on its face from the very beginning, in my opinion. I'm simply not interested in pursuing the case because I don't know what the heck the "case" is about or why I should care about it.

Thumbs way down.

Carole22759
Minnow
Minnow
288 Posts

[Post New]by Carole22759 on Dec 5, 10 12:52 PM
Sinsaint wrote:
melissasignal wrote:I will not name names or point fingers, but I cannot help wondering why sooo many fishies out there post reviews of a game after having only spent 20 or so minutes into a trial of the game. I do read the forums for fellow gamers opinions and even base some of my decisions to purchase on reviews, but when I read that someone decided it's a "no buy" after only 10,15, 20 minutes into the trial, I'm thinking the reviewer was simply impatient and their review is a waste of my time to read. Likewise the reviews that state it's a " " 10 minutes in. Not to offend mind you, just saying...

For some people a few minutes of demo is enough to form an opinion. MY demo shut off after 23 minutes so someone thought that was enough play time to form an opinion.

I've decided within seconds of a trial whether it would be a definite NO buy for me, or a definite YES. When you know what you're looking for, more of it doesn't change a thing.

Carole22759
Minnow
Minnow
288 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Carole22759 on Dec 5, 10 1:00 PM
nascnmbr3 wrote:
bfgOkeechobee wrote:Hey Fishies! What do you think of Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition? We value your reviews,

-bfgOkeechobee

You don't want to know what I think !!!!!

Its the worst piece of crap I've ever downloaded.

There is no way to by-pass unsolvable puzzles like the crypt, which is where I'm stuck

Its Sunday now, so come Monday if I can't either get a solution or a refund for the purchase price of the game. I will be calling my Credit Card and doing a charge back for the price of the game.

I would suggest the programmers go back to their original games, like Huntsville, they where fun!!! Even Madam Fate was a great game....seems after that they have gotten ridiculously harder and harder

They should go look at spin top's games they are fun to do. No going up, down,back and forth or unsolvable puzzles.

Hypothetically, shouldn't a Mother owe a child a functioning brain or a refund?....

jingo22
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by jingo22 on Dec 5, 10 2:18 PM
I'm gutted
I really wanted to play this game as I loved Dire Grove. I've even played the Demo, i shouldn't have really as i knew my old pc wouldn't be up to running this game.
I wish there was another version without all the movie scenes which i'm sure is stopping me from playing this game without it running like a slug.
Hey ****, seems that from now on all the really good games are going to be above my machines capabilities, looks like i'll have to think again when it comes to these types of games.

melissasignal
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by melissasignal on Dec 5, 10 5:31 PM
Carole22759 wrote:
Sinsaint wrote:

I've decided within seconds of a trial whether it would be a definite NO buy for me, or a definite YES. When you know what you're looking for, more of it doesn't change a thing.

I agree that it's possible to form an opinion right away, albeit it is probably not the most informed opinion, just one based on preference. Not very helpful.I beta test often, and I feel like crud if I try submitting my opinions of the game without giving it the whole trial period. I guess that's just me,lol.

Edited on 12/05/2010 at 5:40:28 PM PST

[Post New]by cgrcowboy on Dec 5, 10 5:51 PM
This game is amazing!!!! Incredible detail in story, characterizations, graphics, and sound effects. I think some of the negative comments are a result of players not getting far enough into the game before making a judgement. You need to play further into the game to get a full sense of the amazing world the designers have created. And for being too easy; I'm an experienced player and I found it to be very challenging. Please don't jump to conclusions too soon when you start this game. Also, you're really missing out if you don't play the bonus material at the end. It's incredible. My favorite games used to be Return to Ravenhurst and Dire Grove, but this one is so much more in every way than them. Great Job designers!!!!

[Post New]by deedeelee2001 on Dec 5, 10 5:56 PM
govegril wrote:Nobody is getting a complete installation yet.

bfgImbrium posted they are working on it, so best wait for her to tell us it is now fixed.

I bought the collectors edition and it is quite enormous

[Post New]by deedeelee2001 on Dec 5, 10 6:00 PM
I have to say I do NOT like all the conversation that you have to engage in; its boring and takes too long. There is less of what the game use to be; I have all of them except Madame Fate.

Graphic's are beyond expectations but the puzzles are rediculous to figure out but if you use the walkthrough it helps.

I am 50/50 on this one (but I am not done with it yet) its odd you can not play the extra games your suppose to have included

[Post New]by tzg3745 on Dec 5, 10 6:20 PM
88blyth wrote:bootsie21...mine says £11.99 x x

I've played the game right up untill ya put the skulls on the slab in the swap then thats as far as i can go, the instructions says thats the end and to go to the bonus game. but it wont unlock. in the instruction, theres 3 ways to place them. I did all three and still wont unlock the bonus game can ya help me here. ty

[Post New]by southerndrawl66 on Dec 5, 10 9:07 PM
I'm disappointed that I waited all year for this. I was not a fan of Dire Grove, so I thought the next one had to be better.

Wrong.

Interacting with real people was tedious, and the dialogue was annoying. Hardly the worst complaint though. Being led around and pretty much told where to go and what to do the whole game was annoying! It might as well have played itself. Not only that, but the tasks were BORING. I play video games as a way to unwind and escape stress so making me collect cleaning supplies and old parts to fix broken air conditioning units is NOT FUN. It actually made me feel guilty like I should shut off my computer and do some real chores around the home instead of fake ones in a stupid game.

The only nice thing I have to say about the 13th Skull is that the graphics were lovely.

But that doesn't make it worth buying, IMO.

[Post New]by unagiYumYum on Dec 5, 10 10:04 PM
got this for the Mac and I liked it.
this game was great for me personally: the live actors didn't bother me; it was nice for once to see the picture of the items in your objective bar which is very helpful and not giving everything away; my only complaint would be the hidden object screens... all the objects looked really slapped on pictures whereas Dire Grove or Ravenhearst I got the sense of the objects in the environment.

thanks for reading, and thank you BF

Edited on 12/05/2010 at 10:04:47 PM PST

[Post New]by golden51 on Dec 6, 10 5:20 AM
I am so disappointed in the 13th Skull.. I have never not finished a game. I can't make out what a couple of the stamps are! Yes, I used a magnifying glass too! I like a challenge and buy the large file games for that reason. Myster Case Files were my favorites. This one was so-so all the way through for me. A little annoying, not much "fun" as others have found it. I finally gave in to spend the extra money on a game only to find I don't think there is any way I can finish it. I loved Return to Ravenhurst. This one isn't on the same level as that one. I think I've given it all the time I care to but wanted to express my annoyance and more than that, my disappointment.

[Post New]by MissJuniMoon on Dec 6, 10 5:55 AM
I had no problems downloading game, but then I never do. I have high speed internet. Took 15 minutes to load. Yes, the whole game. Only had 1 problem: The weight trigger game. And then all I did was exit the game and re-enter. I have a refurbished HP dc7600 with Intel Pentium 4 3.20GHz and 4GB of ram. Using Intel Graphics Media Accelerator driver.(free) I have Win 7 in it now, but was running XP3 before and was loading at the same rate. I use Microsoft Security Essentials.(free) Plus, Registry Mechanic to keep everything running smoothly. ($39 a year).
I have been a BigFishGames member for going on 4 years now and have bought and downloaded over 150 games from them and only 1 game has every given me any trouble. And I was given a refund. (Great Customer Service at BigFishGames.) Another game would not play on my monitor until I adjusted the settings, but over all I have had a great experience and hours upon hours of fun.

Go to: