bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Murder, She Wrote comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Nov 13, 09 1:26 AM
Here is what our reviewer thought of Murder, She Wrote. Post your own thoughts about the game in this thread and join the conversation! Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Comments:
Based on the popular TV series starring crime-solving author, Jessica Fletcher, Murder, She Wrote is an interactive Hidden Object game composed of five different murder mysteries for you to solve. Each story gives you the option to choose between Timed and Relaxed (untimed), but players can also choose to switch between the two at any time from the options menu, which is a nice touch. The cast of voice actors sadly does not include Angela Lansbury but the actor voicing Jessica does the job well and subtitles are also included for those that prefer to play without audio, so doing so takes nothing from the storyline. The scenes are well-drawn and aren’t overly cluttered, as seen in some “junkpile” Hidden Object games, and most items make sense in the scenes in which they’re found. One interesting touch is that the item list has incomplete words and players can find typewriter keys in every scene to complete the item names. However, even if you don’t complete a word, you can still click on that item in the scene, but this feature helps tie the game to the TV series even more. Despite that the storyline is focused on solving murder cases, this game never gets too dark or morbid, making it appropriate for players of all ages.

Game Modes:
Murder, She Wrote offers both Timed and Relaxed modes.

Depth:
Murder, She Wrote offers five cases and about 6 or more hours of gameplay.

Similar to:
Players that enjoy the Agatha Christie games (Death on the Nile and Peril at End House) and may enjoy Murder, She Wrote .

Difficulty level:
Murder, She Wrote offers a fun challenge and features a renewable hint system (in the forum of a typewriter page) and untimed option that keep it from being too difficult.

Reviewed by E.G.

Edited on 11/13/2009 at 8:39:56 AM PST

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

Re:Murder, She Wrote comments and reviews

[Post New]by amj0963 on Nov 13, 09 1:34 AM
i really love this game, i was about half way through the first chapter during the demo time. even though you revisit the scenes the items are different and some of the items that you have to find if they are repeated are not in the same spot, i did have to use a hint as i couldn't see an item. like the story line of the first book. characters are very realistic, but what is up with the sheriff's eyes half the time he is looking up at the ceiling lol. mini games so far aren't too hard, loved the first one with the bouys they remind me of the logic problem puzzles i like to do. also like that the clues for the items are missing letters and that you have to find the keyboard letters to fill them in.

only thing that i had problems with is the centering of the game on my monitor, i have a 24" monitor so i had to make some adjustments for it to be at least in the middle of the screen

i did buy this as soon as i exited the game.

i give it 1/2

sam1950
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,486 Posts

[Post New]by sam1950 on Nov 13, 09 2:07 AM
thanks for the review amj looks like a winner

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Nov 13, 09 2:24 AM
It's a buy for me too, needed some more for NovFest and sure beats the ones on my sad maybe list. Loaded fine on 15" laptop Vista but didn't fill the wide screen as some other new ones don't either. Fine with me because it is bright, colorful, easy to see most items.

I'm not too swift on the uptake, and first off I thought I was supposed to click on the keys on that little typewriter LOL which just used hints. Hadn't looked at the screen reading tutorial to see there were really keys there of the vowels DUH. Then I had a little side game going like Wheel of Fortune, trying to guess how many I find with missing letters. I got just a little way past half the first story judging by the walkthru pictures. I love that it is broken up into FIVE stories, rather than one longggg tedious game you wish would end. Reminds me of the 2 Sherlock Holmes with separate books, like that but nearly went blind on the teenies.

This should please most all average hoggers who just like to relax and play, I didn't skip the dialog so did use some hints and skipped one puzzle to move it along. The puzzles were not unreasonable or for just the experts so far at least. I think I can go back and play them (?) I like the find the difference ones all layed out to see, the split screen pix I hate moving my eyes left right left right, tiresome. The matching pairs cigar boxes are fun moving around.

Looks like 5 games for the price of one!! I'm off to buy a credit. can't wait 2 days for my club date, want to keep going! Wotta deal!

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Nov 13, 09 2:31 AM
Just want to add how nice most the items belong in the environment, nautical ones on the boat etc. Same in other scenes. And the music frrom TV set the theme, the ambient sounds are just right, creaking boat, seagulls and all. Those are big plusses for me because I usually play without sound, this demands Mute the TV. Can you tell I'm

FairyonPegasus
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,501 Posts

[Post New]by FairyonPegasus on Nov 13, 09 2:48 AM
The first book took me almost 2 hours. 1:45 to be exact. I love everything about it. There are 5 books I can play a book a day if they're all about the same length and be quite happy! The puzzles/mini challenges are interesting. I only had to use one hint and could have kicked myself as it was right in front of me. The graphics are wonderful, no junkpile of things to search for. The cut scenes are good, I didn't want to skip a thing. Well now it's almost 3 a.m. so off to bed for me. This is the first time in what seems like a long time I just had to stay up and play a game.

Edit: Wanted to add Great Job LI!!! Great Game, WTG!

Edited on 11/13/2009 at 2:49:29 AM PST

88blyth
Catfish
Catfish
1,705 Posts

[Post New]by 88blyth on Nov 13, 09 3:08 AM
i was dubious about this game because i really do not like the tv programme at all, hubby watches almost every day,if i was jessica fletcher i would not go out, everytime she goes anywhere there is a murder...lol......anyway.....i am surprised....i really am enjoying the trial, just popped into the pond to let everyone know how good i think it is, back to the game now, well done ,

[Post New]by EcclesCakes on Nov 13, 09 3:21 AM
I wanted to share my enthusiasm, as well. In the one hour trial, I've not yet finished case 1 of 5. The voice actors are not the original, but sound close enough and do a good job. Like the TV series, it's a pleasant game, with very good background themes and ambient sounds (fishing pier, for example). Items are appropriate to the scenes and clear. Puzzles seem easy thus far and there is some need to use discovered objects to interact with a scene. All in all, a very well done and enjoyable game with, I would think, at least 4 to 5 hours of solid play time. An easy first November game purchase for me!

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Nov 13, 09 3:24 AM
LOL 88blyth I used to think that every episode, don't leave the house somebody is going to get killed. And in such a small quiet town too!

It was just so nostalgic for me, watched them all back when a new series. The use of the typewriter was such a nice touch, and quaint now. Congrats to the dev for thinking of everything.

Journey_1
Herring
Herring
337 Posts

[Post New]by Journey_1 on Nov 13, 09 3:31 AM
This game is just plain fun. I love straight hogs with minis, although I am finding them quite easy but thats ok. Great lenghth with 5 cases and 14 to 18 chapters in each should keep me busy for hours. Thanks BF.

prchalpn
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,132 Posts

[Post New]by prchalpn on Nov 13, 09 4:06 AM
amj0963 wrote:only thing that i had problems with is the centering of the game on my monitor, i have a 24" monitor so i had to make some adjustments for it to be at least in the middle of the screen

i did buy this as soon as i exited the game.

i give it 1/2

How did you center it? Make the resolution smaller? Mine is to the left with part of it chopped off. I was really looking forward to this game and probably going to buy. But if it's like this I won't.

Edited on 11/13/2009 at 4:24:01 AM PST

[Post New]by Jedo0529 on Nov 13, 09 5:05 AM
Okay, this is a great game. Objects were fairly easy to find but the storyline immersed you in a mystery and you actually felt like you were part of it.

I only had to use one clue but still didn't get thru the first murder before the demo ran out and that impressed me.Since I love a good Murder Mystery and there are 5 of them here, a definite buy for me

The game during the hour had a real jerky period for me. Kinda like a bad CD skipping. Othe rthan no issues

Candycleve
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by Candycleve on Nov 13, 09 5:18 AM
I'm downloading this game now. Can't wait!!!

Poppa47
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,489 Posts

[Post New]by Poppa47 on Nov 13, 09 5:32 AM
this looks like sure fire hit. I really like the missing vowel aspect to the object lists as it is something novel. I am sure some other games in the future will steal this idea.
Have 15 minutes left in the demo and book one is still not complete, this looks good for game length. It's too bad that since Angela Landsbury voiced over the Jessica lines that they failed to get Tom Bosley to do Amos Tupper. I will buy this game and some of you know how fussy I am as to buying HOGs. Poppa grade: A+

sunnny
Manatee
Manatee
3,945 Posts

[Post New]by sunnny on Nov 13, 09 5:50 AM
I was looking forward to this game and it is all I expected
it to be.
Hidden objects cleverly hidden.belonging to the story, not obscure.
The wovels and some interactivity make it an additional fun.
Graphics clear, not grainy.
I found the voices a bit strange first, but got used to them.
After 1hr. demo, still in first chapter.
For me this game gets .

woodentot
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,391 Posts

[Post New]by woodentot on Nov 13, 09 6:40 AM
Just finished the 60mins demo, still on book one. Lovely clear graphics, which is good for old eyes. I also like it that the objects fit the game, I would have like the puzzles to be more difficult. Haven't used any hints yet, as the objects are very easy to find. I am not sure yet if I will buy this, but I will keep it as a might buy.

Poppa47
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,489 Posts

[Post New]by Poppa47 on Nov 13, 09 7:02 AM
did any of you notice that the angelfish depicted in a couple of the hidden object areas looks exactly like the BFG angelfish avatar??

poppy85
Guppy
Guppy
182 Posts

[Post New]by poppy85 on Nov 13, 09 7:24 AM
EXCELLENT GAME!!! I've been playing for about 5 hours now and I'm still only on the third book. I've not skipped any dialogue, trying to work out whodunnit each time. Missed one typewriter key in Book 2.....gggrrrrr.....

Did anyone notice the otherwise excellent graphics went a bit wrong in book 2 (the maple syrup one)? The deputy's sleeve badge is back to front - lol.

Fabulous x lots

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Nov 13, 09 7:47 AM
I've been waiting for this game for months!!!. I'm off to download--

[Post New]by myst_read on Nov 13, 09 7:54 AM
Go Jessica, the ole gal still got it. 3 1/2 stars

Go to: