bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

The Mystery of the Crystal Portal comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Nov 15, 09 2:32 AM
Our reviewers haven’t had a chance to get you a review of this game yet. We do value your reviews though, as do many of the other fish in our pond, so feel free to post your own and our Big Fish reviewers will be back to throw in their two cents as soon as possible!

Happy gaming !

Edited on 11/15/2009 at 2:33:41 AM PST

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

Re:The Mystery of the Crystal Portal comments and reviews

[Post New]by LizzieK on Nov 15, 09 3:33 AM
This is an extremely good puzzle and hidden object game. It has excellent visual quality and beautiful scenery. The objects seem to be authentic to the time and locations. It also has very enjoyable music. If you enjoyed the other Artogon games, Treasure Seekers Visions of Gold and Treasure Seekers The Enchanted Canvases you will probably like this one.

I am glad to know that there will be a sequel soon but I hope when Nicole goes through the Crystal Portal she comes out on the other side with better manners and is a little less haughty and a little more pleasant. This could have been a totally beautiful game but Nicole’s disdainful personality and expression added an unpleasant quality that wasn’t needed.

I could have done without the sound of buzzing flies also. I would have preferred the sounds of birds, animals, rain, wind, chimes, flowing water … anything but buzzing flies.

I highly recommend this game.

Martyheinz
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,130 Posts

[Post New]by Martyheinz on Nov 15, 09 4:11 AM
Wholeheartedly agree. Nicole's attitude and manner are offputting. The game, however, is good. I miss the verbal dialog, and there could be less music dead space. Can't wait for the sequel.

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Nov 15, 09 4:59 AM
Yet another intrepid daughter of an archaeologist saves the day game <sighs>

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Nov 15, 09 5:41 AM
OK now I remember....I played this months ago elsewhere & never finished the demo. I suppose that means y'all are going to love it LOL This is the most nonsensical IHOG on the planet IMHO. Because everyone knows when you put a telephone & a microscope & some other non-flammable junk in a bin, it starts a fire....HUH? The interactive HOs have no rhyme or reason to them. It's like playing an IHOG junkpile. If you're going to have an inventory it should at least make sense. If it's not, then it should be a plain old junkpile HOG. I'll give it nice graphix but that annoying have to click on the convo bubble all the time when the same person's just muttering to herself....ugh, why couldn't it all go in one bubble? And random clicking makes me nuts. No sale here for such things. I'll just go play PuppetShow again or something.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Nov 15, 09 6:29 AM
I also played this game months ago...was surprised to see it on here now. I was hoping for another hog, but not this one. I really don't remember that much about it...I have played so many since, but this was one I bought and couldn't play well on my old computer. It would run but sooo sloooowly, so when I got my new one, I did go back and play this one, and I was delighted that it would play. I have been disappointed lately to see the other sites having the same games, on the same day, as BF. So was really disappointed to see this one in Game Splash. I do hope we have some good new ones coming. Since I worked the past few nights, I do still have a couple to play, lol. Off to Jessica Fletcher now. Bye, as Heidi Klum says on Project Runway. Yes, when I didn't have a new game to download, I pulled up the latest episode to watch since I always miss it on Thursdays due to work. Sorry if this isn't really a review, but it is a comment

mammadenny
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by mammadenny on Nov 15, 09 6:57 AM
I love this game.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Nov 15, 09 7:03 AM
I played this long ago and waited and waited for BFG to offer it. Now I will buy,

This is the first game I played with radial object collections. I like that very much. The beauty of the game is outstanding!

When this game was first released there were not so many games featuring archaeologists and their daughters. I wonder if this game spawned many of the others?

There are some small objects, some dark spots but I had little trouble with them and my vision is not the best.

I have mentioned in many reviews that i am a sucker for beautiful graphics. If this game had poor play, I might buy it anyway for the visual feast. It has good game play though which adds to its appeal. I am now happy to be able to play the entire game! Thanks Big Fish! Maybe we will get the next in the series a little faster?

redneck57
Catfish
Catfish
1,606 Posts

[Post New]by redneck57 on Nov 15, 09 7:52 AM
I love this game. I played it on another site but did not buy it because of the price. Now I can because BFG is much easier on my pocketbook. Beautiful graphics, good storyline. I also like the idea of clicking on an object and a group of other items appear that have to be found. Can't wait for the sequel.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Nov 15, 09 7:58 AM
I took me a about 12 min , to figure out where i was going in this game ..when I first started to play hogs , this one was one of the ones got me into the adventure / hog..this one I've played on several other sites..i enjoyed it ,& it would be nice if they came out w/ a new one ..if you have not tried it....its well worth trying ..i hope this is a little tease ..that there might be part 2 ..coming soon ?

Euskalduna
Stingray
Stingray
5,991 Posts

[Post New]by Euskalduna on Nov 15, 09 9:01 AM
Now BF is offering this game! I had to subscribe to other game club just because BF was not going to get it.! And I am not happy with GH.

Diana_Mc
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by Diana_Mc on Nov 15, 09 9:01 AM
Scarlet,
I was totally agreeing with you about the fire and remembering one game...I was almost stuck and finally tossed a kerosene light into the boiler (whatever) and it magically created fire.

Um.... was that Puppetville?

I forget which game (not sure BF had it) where they fired the shotgun at the ceiling light to free the revolver in it. Since the guy's uncle was on the floor above, I've always meant to go back and see if I could figure out the floor plan. The game may have been over at that point. I know they're just games but they expect us to figure things out and they don't incude whatever they're smoking.

forensicMD
Clownfish
Clownfish
529 Posts

[Post New]by forensicMD on Nov 15, 09 9:55 AM
Great game. Quite long and also quite difficult in some spots like the harbor. Graphics are wonderful. Don't click the skip button when you are viewing the scenery as you will miss some very pretty graphics if you do. Heartily recommend this game and am sorry I played it a year ago as I would love to be able to start from scratch today!

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Nov 15, 09 9:58 AM
OK, kudos for unusual sort of game play; finding the objects to activate the objects is at least a different take on the standard HOG mode of play (I know I've seen this before, but I can't remember where - another Artogon game?). Also, big for the crystal clear graphics - several screenshots are going to be used in my jigsaw puzzle game.

Sadly, I think that's all the positive. As mentioned earlier, the randomness of the objects is irritating - could we have some logic to these things, please?

The conversations were annoying and again, random. The old man is saying something about time being a river, followed immediately by "You must find the gas to start the generator." Bizarre.

I thought the whole thing moved too slowly. Even picking up the weights, or tiles, or runes, - once found, the pieces took a long time to move across the screen, thereby slowing everything down.

Nice effort, and I really appreciate the visuals, but no sale here.

ahsten75
Minnow
Minnow
215 Posts

[Post New]by ahsten75 on Nov 15, 09 9:58 AM
This game seemed so familiar and sure enough I had played it before. i like the "find-5-objects-to-get-something-else" bit but there was no sense as to why I had to click on those objects. I mean, if I'm trying to light a fire, I'd click on the fireplace, a poker, matches, wood, even paper to get a fire started. Why a sword, plate and frog? Since I didn't see any logic as to the items to be activated/found, I simply ran the cursor around the screen until the hand came up.

Other times I knew I needed to do/get something, but couldn't until I had clicked on something twice or Nicole had made some observation. The series of comments between the local person and Nicole just got in the way and I didn't feel that they added much to the plot.

The graphics are really nice, but I could do without Nicole. That look on her face is enough to want to leave behind in the tomb.

The minigames were entertaining without being too hard.

I think I'll pass on this one.

lindawithag
Guppy
Guppy
136 Posts

[Post New]by lindawithag on Nov 15, 09 10:42 AM
Like many of you, I also played this game elsewhere but did not purchase it due to the cost - seems like quite some time ago - I really enjoyed the concept...what's odd to me is that the scenes from this game would occasionally pop into my mind which made me wish I had remembered the name or where I found it...and here it is! Yeah, I hope they change her attitude next go around - - I'll buy it and that will be my #6 for November...boy, does BFG know how to market or what!

justaques
Stingray
Stingray
5,487 Posts

[Post New]by justaques on Nov 15, 09 11:09 AM
I tried the demo today and really liked it so I purchased the full game and just finished it. I was not really disappointed with the game other than it ended before I was ready to be done with it. I usually turn the music down quite low so that was not a problem and the objects were not too hard to find. The graphics were beautiful and that added to the fun. A great game, can hardly wait for a sequel maybe.

dashwood95
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by dashwood95 on Nov 15, 09 12:53 PM
Ok I guess I'm one of two odd men out. Didn't care for it. Hard to skip dialogs. Non-sensical items to collect, etc.

Graphics were good so no complaints there. Just boring game.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Nov 15, 09 3:12 PM
I love this game! It has everything I like in a game-hidden objects and interactive objects as well. I found the game rather difficult in places but not nearly as hard as RTR. I got through the whole game with not much trouble. It's been awhile since I played it but as far as I recall, there weren't any really dark scenes and the objects were relatively easy to find. I highly recommend this game. It is one of my all-time favorites. I give it a solid

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Nov 15, 09 3:20 PM
I have always liked this series of games and this "almost" didn't disappoint. It's a short game. I was started chapter 5 when the 60 minute trail end. In total, there are 8 chapters. Other then the length, It gets my (who cares ) for good graphics and the storyline. I usually turn the sound off, but I didn't in this game. The sound was not distracting.

Go to: