Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for The Treasures of Montezuma 5 here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Dec 28, 15 12:34 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 12/28/2015 at 6:31:44 AM PST

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for The Treasures of Montezuma 5 here.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Dec 28, 15 5:08 AM
Really? A timer with no way to turn off? Sorry, I don't do timers, I play games to relax.

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Dec 28, 15 5:12 AM
Although the graphics are bright, crisp, lovely and cheerful; the storyline is good and the music is upbeat and appropriate, this is not going to be a purchase for me. I have the other games in this series, but since this has no option for untimed play, I will pass.

I Beta tested this (Beta test sent directly from the devs, not ) and made the suggestion that an option be added for untimed play. Since its release I have played the demo on another site where there is no time limit for the free trial and learned that at a certain point, I simply cannot beat the timer. There are power-ups to be bought that go "Boom!", "Zap!" and "Pow!" to help achieve the goals set for each level, but nothing that suffices for me to get through the game.

I play games like this to relax, not to add stress to my life. I am perfectly well aware of the fact that I have deadlines on certain things in life, but in casual games a beat-the-clock factor is not a positive feature in deciding whether or not to purchase a game.

Edited on 12/30/2015 at 5:25:09 AM PST

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Dec 28, 15 6:32 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on The Treasures of Montezuma 5 here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on The Treasures of Montezuma 5.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Dec 28, 15 7:39 AM
I demoed this game and everything is perfect except, as others have stated above, it has a timer. I don't understand the marketing theory of the game developers that do not include a relaxed mode in their games. Think about how much more money they could make with that inclusion. I'm going to pass on this really cute game for that simple reason.

[Post New]by Classicaljazz on Dec 28, 15 9:01 AM
I have one of the other games in this series and enjoyed many hours of playing time with it. But, I, too, am passing on this game. When I saw the posts saying there is no "untimed" option available, that settled the "to buy, or not to buy" question for me. I'm not even going to bother with the demo. Like others, I usually play my computer games for relaxation and racing against a timer is not relaxing to me.

With all the technology currently available to game developers, it doesn't seem that it would be that difficult to add an untimed version as a game option in match-3 games. And even if it would make it a bit more costly for them to add this option, I would think the profits from the finished game would be much higher with this choice added to the OPTIONS menu. Seems like a "no brainer" to me!

For those who love racing against the clock in match-3 games, enjoy!

Classicaljazz

Spookys_Mom
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by Spookys_Mom on Dec 28, 15 11:35 AM
No relax mode, no sale. I will not buy a game that I cannot finish because of the timer. I will save my money for another day and another game. Big Fish should insist to the developers on a relax mode on all games. What does it hurt and I am sure they want the sales. I would have bought as I love Match 3 but as I said I will not waste my money on games I have no hope of completing. I did not even demo as I am familiar with the other versions and know how quickly time runs out.

LD3333
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by LD3333 on Dec 28, 15 1:02 PM
When did Match-3 become Time Management ???
Being rushed and timed is very aggravating. Most people buy games for entertainment and relaxation, and not for torture.
For those who enjoy hitting the restart button: Have fun...or not!

Edited on 12/28/2015 at 1:03:05 PM PST

[Post New]by sequoya03 on Dec 28, 15 2:18 PM
I have to add my 2 cents for what it's worth, I too demo-ed this game and suggested the untimed mode as well. Obviously they didn't think it was important.....

[Post New]by Snowdragon_23 on Dec 28, 15 4:42 PM
Love all the Treasures of Montezuma games.
Similar to what everyone else has said... I'm into the 3rd section and already stressed by the timer. Would love an option for limited number of moves and/or relaxed mode in addition to a timer mode. It's a good game but I could see never finishing it.
I used a game credit to purchase it.
Edit: One problem I have is that if I do really well on a level and finish it quickly I'm not getting all the stars, so I have to replay and use more time making regular matches. Punishing the player for doing well is poor design, devs. I'm looking for Montezuma 6 to really blow my socks off, okay?

Edited on 01/05/2016 at 2:49:20 AM PST

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Dec 28, 15 5:03 PM
Add me to the list of those who beta-ed this game and suggested to the Devs they add an untimed mode!

Too bad they chose not to!

I chose not to purchase because of the timer!

BK

dueler
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by dueler on Dec 29, 15 8:23 AM
Add me to the list, got so far and timed out, I thought it would carry on past the timer, but no luck im afraid, so no buy for me also.
happy gaming.

stonewall
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by stonewall on Dec 29, 15 11:06 AM
I have to agree with all the others. I got so far and that's it. I'm not spending a lot of time trying to beat the clock. Too frustrating for me and at my age, I like that relaxing mode with no timer. The game developers should have considered their players feedback. So, no sale here either.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Jan 1, 16 12:42 PM
[review based upon completed game]

70 levels, assorted goals, scads of powerups and trophies to win. Three minigame modes that unlock as you progress through the game, and a slot machine minigame to help you earn gems for upgrading your powerups. If you are a game completist who has to get all the trophies it will take more than one full run through the game to get them all. Although it's a "lots of stuff blowing up everywhere" type of M3 there's definitely an element of strategy needed to win once you get past the first 10 boards. You also need to use your powerups regularly to be successful, even if you are an experienced M3 player.

I usually take the comments about timers with a grain of salt, but will have to agree with the others in that this game is very aggressively timed and therefore not for those who don't play all that fast. I enjoyed finally getting a game that's a serious challenge for me, but it's not going to be for everyone. Other than being timed only, it would have really helped to have a reshuffle tiles powerup or button to use because there are times when you just don't get a good setup in the board. If you're not afraid of a game that brings it, enjoy!

jmf1939
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by jmf1939 on Jan 2, 16 11:19 AM
I agree with every thing the other gamers said I will not purchase a game with a timer I like to relax with a game and not feel pressure and failure

[Post New]by LavenderLion on Jan 2, 16 11:58 AM
I have all the other games in the Montezuma series and am enjoying this new one. And there is nothing wrong with having a timer! Its supposed to be fast paced, that's the challenge of this series. Developers - please dont stop making games with timers, some of us enjoy that aspect of a game.

This new one has nice bright new graphics but still the same play icons (which looked a little dull compared to the new interface. The game has the familiar features (bonus types and characters that help you) with some nice new features. Like special levels where you match marbles or have to match a background color. The achievements give you a reward of more gems which is nice. There is also a slot machine that uses "tokens" and rewards you with gems and more tokens. So its a painless way to get a few more gems to buy an upgrade.

The game is a lot of fun - give it a try!

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Jan 4, 16 7:58 AM
LavenderLion wrote: Developers - please dont stop making games with timers, some of us enjoy that aspect of a game.

I don't think anyone has requested or suggested that games have no timer, merely a choice of playing with or without a timer.

[Post New]by Ekilore on Jan 9, 16 9:40 PM
I admire those who want a timer, but I wish there was the option. I bought this game because even with a timer according to SynthpopAddict the game gets easer as you progress through it. Since good match 3 game are hard to fine I bought it. Unfortunately for me I have not be able to get to stage 54 and at my age (70) I don't who need a timer. I don't recommend this game if you don't like timers!

[Post New]by Already65 on May 7, 16 10:04 AM
I bought the game and wished I hadn't. I like the timer and stuff but not being able to remix the tiles is a downer. The other thing is that I reached level 70 but no random keys have appeared as I replay the game. So it was a short and easy game to play.

Go to: