bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Nikopol: Secret of the Immortals comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Nov 17, 09 1:13 AM
Here is what our reviewer thought of Nikopol. Post your own thoughts about the game in this thread and join the conversation! Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Comments:
Nikopol takes place in a dark and desolate Paris in the year 2023, where older technologies such as film reels exist alongside flying cars and androids. Here resides Alcide Nikopol, an artist living in a beat-down and deteriorating apartment which he keeps by trading his paintings for rent. Alcide will soon come face to face with alien “ticks” hired by the fascist government to act as patrol, as well as a giant jellyfish perched atop a skyscraper and immortal Egyptian gods visiting Earth via a floating pyramid. It is within this bizarre and desolate city that Nikopol must locate his father, previously imprisoned for his radical behavior against the totalitarian government, by navigating through various puzzles, past guards and through locked doors. The art is fantastic and cut scenes are composed of animated comic book panels, though some may find the 360 degree view dizzying. Also, while there is little actual dialogue, the voice acting is well done. The developers of this game did a fantastic job of capturing the feel of the Nikopol Trilogy comics and the Immortal movie, but unfortunately those that are not familiar with either may find themselves tossed into a confusing and somewhat morbid world with difficult puzzles and naked, albeit Ken-doll-like, animal-headed gods.

Genre:
Nikopol is an adventure game full of puzzles, with some action scenes that require quick thinking.

Game Modes:
Nikopol has only a story mode.

Depth:
Nikopolprovides about 5 to 10 hours of play time, possibly more, depending on the player’s level of puzzle-solving abilities.

Similar to:
Players that enjoyed Syberia or Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened might enjoy Nikopol.

Difficulty level:
Nikopol provides a pretty good challenge as some of the puzzles are fairly complex. While the game is pretty linear, some areas give little indication as to what to do next, though if Alcide dies he will provide hints about what you could have done better.

Reviewed by E.G.

Edited on 11/17/2009 at 10:12:49 AM PST

giggyann
Catfish
Catfish
1,721 Posts

Re:Nikopol: Secret of the Immortals comments and reviews

[Post New]by giggyann on Nov 17, 09 8:14 AM
Hmmmmmm no comments or reviews???? Wonder why?
giggyann

Oh just found out there is no demo.

Edited on 11/17/2009 at 8:19:02 AM PST

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Nov 17, 09 8:26 AM
Guess we will have to wait for some brave soul to give this game a try before we check it out. -- . I'm certain that there is someone who purchases large files before trying them, I'm just not one of them. So if there is a brave soul, please give it a try and let us know what you think .

mahbah55
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,025 Posts

[Post New]by mahbah55 on Nov 17, 09 8:28 AM
I'm downloading now. I will let you know what I think.

Edited on 11/17/2009 at 8:29:59 AM PST

TeresaRollen
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,896 Posts

[Post New]by TeresaRollen on Nov 17, 09 8:59 AM
I sometimes will buy large file games sight unseen. However, I am not sure if this one has a lot of action in it. I don't like fighting things and lots of have to do this quickly type stuff. Will anxiously be awaiting some comments on the actual game play.

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Nov 17, 09 9:02 AM
Also, if you google the game name, you can find other published reviews.

HTH!

BransonBel
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by BransonBel on Nov 17, 09 11:28 AM
This sounds intriguing (I'm sure I didn't spell that right!) but at the same time confusing. Hmm, to buy or not to buy. I guess I'll wait for more reviews!

Airmid
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by Airmid on Nov 17, 09 12:47 PM
Hi All, GameSpot has a demo of the game...I'm just downloading it now....I'll let you know how I made out.....

Airmid
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by Airmid on Nov 17, 09 7:04 PM
Well, the demo download worked...have just spent about an hour and a half playing the first sceens....

Wow....the graphics are great, ...certainly Siberia quality. The music fits and didn't seem intrusive to me, the main character's voice is great. It is a 360 degree game, which I have some problem with, but found it was quite 'controllable' unlike some. However, I did start to get dizzy going back and forth when I became stuck. The cursor for the game is this tiny tiny little white dot, certainly makes you pay attention!!.

The game is set in a decaying, futuristic France, controlled by a nasty dictator. I got the feeling of the book about Big Brother is Watching...what was that? 1964 or some year? Has that dark and gloom filled atmosphere. But, the sceens were not dark, I could see things quite well although you have to be really careful and make sure you check small things out or you will miss them. The little dot cursor does change when you can affect an object, get info on something or actually take it.

I'm not an expert at adventure games, so I would rate this one as hard to very hard. I palyed two of the mini games, one where I had to paint a picture, the other a 'knock the blocks out of the window in x moves'. I've read mixed reveiws about the mini games, someone calling them archaic..IMO they are probably just right, since you need all your brain power to solve the game!! I think anyone would get a real 'bang for their buck' with this one, especially at wonderful prices.

You can get killed, however, you do get to start over from just before you got killed and try again...and again, trust me I tested this feature out extensively.

So, will I buy this game? Think I have to. You have to appreciate the amount of work that went into it's production. I've never played a 'futuristice' game before so I hope I will keep liking to story. But if the graphics alone keep up, it wil be way worth it. Good job for bringing this to us.

hope this helps

mcquigan
Clownfish
Clownfish
726 Posts

[Post New]by mcquigan on Nov 17, 09 7:34 PM
Thank you Airmid. Your review was descriptive enough that I think I will buy it too!

castellerin
Herring
Herring
347 Posts

[Post New]by castellerin on Nov 17, 09 9:42 PM
Thanks so much for the reviews. I can't do 360 games so I really appreciate when someone add that in.

thanks again!

Enjoy you fishies who don't get dizzy lol

snoopy13
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by snoopy13 on Nov 17, 09 11:48 PM
I think this one may be a bit over my head. I always lose when I have to fight things.

fahr451
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by fahr451 on Nov 18, 09 6:52 AM
Hi Airmid, did you notice if subtitles are available? English is not my mothertongue and I've some difficulties in understanding it...
Bye
G.

tat2s
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
441 Posts

[Post New]by tat2s on Nov 18, 09 7:09 AM
Fahr, subtitles are available. I'm not sure which languages. If you like, I will check the next time I play.

Just started playing this game. It's nothing like I've ever played before. I can't believe it was only $6.99 b/c it looks like something my husband would play on PS3. The 360 is a little difficult for me to adjust to. I'm definitely going to need to reference the walkthrough, at least in the beginning to figure out how to play this type of game. It took me forever to figure out how to get back to the menu!! (Right click, also brings up inventory items). I think this game will definitely be a challenge for me. Luckily, I'm in the mood for a challenge today I'll keep you posted as I progress. (Could be a while - definitely get your money's worth as far as time of play is concerned)

fahr451
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by fahr451 on Nov 18, 09 7:47 AM
Thank you Tat2s,

I suppose subtitles are in English and this is perfectly OK for me.

Well, your comment and others as well convinced me to spend my game credit and purchase it

stupidanacrox
Minnow
Minnow
240 Posts

[Post New]by stupidanacrox on Nov 18, 09 8:09 AM
just try demo for 10 minutes and uninstall it already. 360 wiew make me , and this game run very fast on windows 7. Good graphic and good story, for who likes 360 wiew games i think it's a good deal.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Nov 18, 09 8:40 AM
> You can get killed, however, you do get to start over from just before you got killed and try again...and again ...

That reads like the ND second chance.

[Post New]by AzredheadedBrat on Nov 18, 09 2:44 PM
Incredible graphics, music, sounds. Definitely hard/very hard, I was surprised. The only drawback for me was the brief length. Thats always a huge let down when that happens. This game in particular was very, very short.

[Post New]by skndawg on Nov 18, 09 4:51 PM
AzredheadedBrat wrote:Incredible graphics, music, sounds. Definitely hard/very hard, I was surprised. The only drawback for me was the brief length. Thats always a huge let down when that happens. This game in particular was very, very short.

What exactly do you consider short?

SaPTIC
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by SaPTIC on Nov 19, 09 4:32 AM
Since I have all the real comics of Enki Bilal and absolutely love'm I just had to buy this game. And it was worth the full gamecredit. Finally a game that lets you configure 1440x900 for display size.

The fact you might die doesn't matter, since you can start over rightaway from just before you died. No need to worry about.
The very few, I believe it is 3 times, there is a timed puzzle it isn't too much stressing. When you don't succees you simply have to do it again. The timed puzzled aren't stressfull in any way. You have got time enough to do the task.

graphics: out of 5
diffculty:
except for creating the card to access gate 2 and door 8.
these are very hard
length of the game:
overall:

Go to: