Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Sable Maze: Soul Catcher Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Dec 31, 15 12:35 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 12/31/2015 at 6:11:56 AM PST

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Sable Maze: Soul Catcher Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by 9otters on Dec 31, 15 4:01 AM
Well. Let me just say that if you are achievement-minded, this might be the game for you. There are THIRTYSEVEN of them and there will be a banner in your face after practically every move you make. Be prepared to play the game several times to win all of them.

The game gimmick, along with the annoying mini-game that goes with it, will be used eight times. The achievements banner will let you know you have used it the first time and the 8th time...as well as another time somewhere in between.

Great graphics, although the animated people look awkward when they move. Ok voice-overs are made comical by lips that keep moving long after the speaker has had their say.

There is a mini-game around every corner as well as in the HOPs. HOPs require finding several of something to unlock a 6-item list. I'm a puzzle lover, but it seemed like they were there to gloss over the lack of any real substance in the same old story.

Ten collectible figures of the characters. Collectible puzzle pieces for jigsaw puzzles that become wallpaper for your computer when completed. Both are hard to miss, so I don't think there will be much concern about overlooking them. NO replay of mini-games or HOPs.

Alternate HOP game is Match 3. There are 6 levels of Match 3 in the extras that will be unlocked for play after...I don't know what.

After the demo was over, I went to the jigsaw puzzle, picked up a piece, and it "stuck" to my cursor and wouldn't let me escape the puzzle without a fight. I had to use the "three-finger salute" to get out of the game.

Bonus game, strategy guide I never looked at, jump map, 4 levels of difficulty, as well as the usual extras that come with CEs.

I guess it is obvious that I'm not too impressed with the game. It is the same oil-the-rust, feed-the-animal, fix-this-and-that, open-this-with-that, everything-you-need-close-to-hand stuff that is churned out with regularity. I also didn't think the "extras" were special enough to pay the extra price.

We all have our own views on what we call entertainment. This is NOT it for me, but it might be just the ticket for you. Play the demo and judge for yourself. It is worth it just to read the 37 "achievements".

Happy New Year and happy gaming!

Had to add the issue with the pieces of the rotating image mini-game, connected to the game gimmick. "Sticky", hard to place, test of patience.

Edited on 12/31/2015 at 10:11:01 AM PST

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Sable Maze: Soul Catcher Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Dec 31, 15 6:12 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Sable Maze: Soul Catcher Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Sable Maze: Soul Catcher Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

fluffyalso
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by fluffyalso on Dec 31, 15 7:18 AM
Beautiful game. Well drawn. Interesting story. Started out in present day but quickly reverted to ghost world once again. Controls not bad. HOG with slight variations are fairly easy to see. My biggest problem are the puzzles. Either very easy or what the heck. Could not figure out the rune on back of hand thing. Skipped most of them and that is my favorite part of a game. Will give the SE a try to see if it's me or the game. Good jump map but did not need it in demo. Try it you might like it.

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Dec 31, 15 6:52 PM
Happy to report zero tech issues Win 7 Pro 64-bit. I have the entire series, so it didn't take too much of the demo to tell me this is a buy for me (when the next great CE sale for members comes around).

Story is okay, typical Sullivan River missing persons case. I love the graphics! Could have done without the 'whoosh' and the the other 'clunk' sound effects. Since selecting objects or moving puzzle pieces is what it's all about, why do we have to have a sound effect for each one?

My observation on the problematic magic rune gimmick and the puzzle piece placement is that the mechanics are less than obvious. But they both worked fine (for me) after I finally figured it out. Potential Spoilers (Highlight to read):

(1) The magic rune must be rotated piece by piece -- in other words, maneuver it around til one piece is in place and then release cursor and click on another piece and continue to maneuver it til in place -- rinse and repeat til rune is complete.
(2) The puzzle pieces are not permanently attached to your cursor. It's just weird mechanics. Click the puzzle piece and move your cursor to one of the arrows. Continue to rotate the item by clicking the arrow (with puzzle piece attached to it). Once you have it rotated, move your cursor up to place it. If you have it rotated and placed correctly, it will will snap into place.

On the not so great side, I'm not thrilled with the Strategy Guide. The graphics that zoom up are still not all that clear at least to me. Luckily I rarely use it unless I'm really lost. I'm also not a huge fan of 'switch' puzzles so I hope the rest of the game doesn't have as many as the demo had.

On the positive side, I skipped one of the 'switch' puzzles and I earned an achievement! Yes indeed achievements are numerous and the announcement banner will be flashing onto your screen very frequently!

Okay, now just waiting for the half price (off member prices) sale. Then this new Sable Maze is coming home to me.

Edited on 01/01/2016 at 10:11:28 AM PST

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Jan 3, 16 6:23 PM

This Soul Got Away

Great visuals and a familiar story of missing children.

Unfortunately, the magic rune puzzle is possibly the worst puzzle ever conceived by any developer. (But Steve, there is a Strategy Guide - which is of no help with this particular puzzle). The solution is always obvious, but its how to arrive at the solution that is the real puzzle. Add to that the fact that you'll play this puzzle repeatedly throughout the game. I finally figured it out, but for me that was still a .

As for the Hidden Object scenes, Soul Catchers rivals the "Obvious Objects" series in terms of challenge.

Regarding collectibles, unless you have extremely poor eyesight you really cannot miss them. So if this game catches your soul, I would recommend the standard edition over this collector's edition.

Happy New Year to all!

Valkara
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Valkara on Jan 3, 16 6:52 PM
Boring. No sale.

SoggySox
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by SoggySox on Jan 4, 16 3:59 PM
I am enjoying the game but one big CON for me is that so far the puzzles have no reset button nor does the puzzle reset after backing out of the puzzle. To me this is a big minus!

[Post New]by Raewynk on Jan 19, 16 10:41 PM
Why oh why can developers not put reset on their puzzles. I hate skipping puzzles as it gives the grey cells a workout but one mistake and I have to skip a puzzle because I can't reset it.

[Post New]by helpfindmygames1 on Jan 28, 16 8:49 AM
bfgBellerophon wrote:Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Sable Maze: Soul Catcher Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Sable Maze: Soul Catcher Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our <a href="http://forums.bigfishgames.com/faqs/list.page">Forum Rules</a> and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

Please post your REVIEWS for Sable Maze: Soul Catcher Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by helpfindmygames1 on Jan 28, 16 8:55 AM
Daxadillion wrote:A thread for your reviews.

I have played a lot of HO games from Big Fish games and never had any problems until I loaded windows 10. anyone else noticed this.. tried reloading,etc. Game doesn't start over, just goes back.

Go to: