SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

General tips for playing (possible spoilers)

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Jan 2, 16 11:56 AM
-Most of the levels have the goal of collecting X amount of gems (the jewels with the little crystal in the center) so you need to focus on matching the jewels with the crystals.

-You need to use the powerups regularly even if you're the sort who usually doesn't need them. My favorite boosters are the add gems and extra points for gems; I use them on pretty much every level.

-Additional powerups must be claimed by clicking the "Claim" button in the Achievements section or you won't get them, so make sure to check the trophies case regularly when there's an exclamation point in the Achievements button.

-Once you unlock some of the helper idols, you want to try to make pairs of colored matches (ex. 2 red jewel matches in a row) so the idols will help you. The orange idol who adds time is by far the most useful; sadly you have to play past level 40 before he unlocks. The next most useful idols are the red, blue, and green ones because they either blow up parts of the board or will collect all available gems for you.

-Play the slot machine regularly to earn resources for buying upgrades to the idols' powers (try to max the orange guy out ASAP) and the assorted powerups in the levels.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

Re:General tips for playing (possible spoilers)

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Jan 2, 16 12:04 PM
-The collect flasks levels work like the collect gems levels except you need to match the colored bottles with jewels of the same color. If you pick the extra gem and extra points boosters on these levels and get a bit lucky with some score frenzies, you can rake in the points...I've scored 17.5 million on a few of the later boards!

-By far the hardest levels are the "uncover all the boxes" and collect artifact levels. Sometimes if you get a lousy setup and run out of matches where you can't work the bottom you'll just have to forfeit or restart it...otherwise I find that using the add dynamite booster and putting the dynamite in early on (hope to blow up the stuff lower down early on to free up more of the board). If you can free 2/3 of the board it gets considerably easier but you'll probably still need some help from the red or blue idols.

-The collect lizard levels are also quite challenging but not as hard as the uncovering boxes or artifact boards. The trick here is to keep the board moving as much as you can so the tiles are being shuffled around in the lizard boxes, keeping your potential matches available. You have to match using the lizard boxes several times before the lizard is free.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Jan 2, 16 12:14 PM
-Once you've finished all the levels, keys will be randomly placed around the game map, making the game "endless mode". You can keep on playing to improve your trophy case/powerups.

-Too bad they didn't include a reshuffle tiles button in the game; it would've helped get past the random lousy board setup...

-It's also unfortunate that the orange idol doesn't unlock until after you've been over halfway through the game map. The game would be much more accessible to many gamers if the add time idol and add time tiles in the boards unlocked sooner.

-If you've been reading all of this, you won't be surprised to hear the game paradoxically becomes easier and easier the farther you go along with upgrading the idols and powerups.

Edited on 01/02/2016 at 4:22:11 PM PST

skpjazz
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
491 Posts

[Post New]by skpjazz on Jan 3, 16 8:43 AM
Thanks, SynthpopAddict!

I may go ahead and purchase this game, based on your posts. So, thanks again for your insight and expertise.

I "demoed" this game but I wasn't sure if I liked it well enough to buy it, since it didn't have the OPTION of a timer. That doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy it playing against time, it's just a psychological thing with me initially, until I understand the basic "ins and outs" of the game. It's almost like the timer doesn't allow me to "think" fast enough, where I might have beaten the time if knew I wasn't being timed!

Anyway...I have been waiting for a good challenging M3 game to come along, and the fact that you have put your "seal of approval" on it, I'll give it a chance!

Thanks, and I won't hold it against you if it turns out to not be my thing!!

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Jan 3, 16 8:31 PM
You're welcome skpjazz and I do hope you enjoy the game. It is one of the most challenging M3s I've played in quite a while. However, most of the difficulty is front loaded into the early portion of the game as I'd mentioned earlier. The exception would be if you chose to play the game with no boosters and only the base level powerups and idols as they unlock.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Jan 4, 16 2:02 PM
-Super hard mode: Don't pick any of the boosters before starting any level, and don't buy any upgrades in the store. I couldn't do it anymore after level 43 and finally bought two upgrades to keep going.

Go to: