bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

I SPY ™ Spooky Mansion comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Nov 20, 09 1:12 AM
Our reviewers haven’t had a chance to get you a review of this game yet. We do value your reviews though, as do many of the other fish in our pond, so feel free to post your own and our Big Fish reviewers will be back to throw in their two cents as soon as possible!

Happy gaming !

BigFatPanda
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

Re:I SPY ™ Spooky Mansion comments and reviews

[Post New]by BigFatPanda on Nov 20, 09 1:19 AM
BIG FAT PANDA GAME REVIEW
2 Bamboo Sticks out of 10
The moment this game starts, you get a "this is for the kids" feeling but if you go a little further, you start to think "would kids even like this?".
The graphics are minimal and fuzzy at best. I usually LOVE voice acting in a game rather than reading but I found the narrator very annoying. I was not sure where I was supposed to go next and was left hanging quite a few times.
With all the HOGS and IHOGS of high quality coming out lately, this is just a major let down. And, it's too bad because the thought of another good Haunted Mansion game had me so excited
With all that said - if you have young children, give it a try and see if perhaps they like it.
Rumor has it that this is an older game from 2006 or earlier. I have come to expect more from Big Fish rather than them trying to revive the dead!

tuttepeever
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by tuttepeever on Nov 20, 09 2:28 AM
The game went nowhere. I kept getting an hourglass every time I clicked the curser. What a DUD!

mamachi
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by mamachi on Nov 20, 09 2:38 AM
It is a very short game. I finished it within the trial.

Pidgiep
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by Pidgiep on Nov 20, 09 3:16 AM
Too childish for me, won't be buying. Deleted after 5 minutes of playing.

[Post New]by generousgem3 on Nov 20, 09 4:20 AM
Yes it is an older game but also a well-known game... for the younger set anyway... As I stated in another post, I personally am glad they have been able to get this one & I hope they are able to get the others ones also as I purchased three I SPY games from a different site but - even though I paid for them & they are on my list of purchased games for that site, they are no longer available through that particular site I am glad that BFG not only listens to their 'fishies' but also doesn't totally delete games even though they are older and have many more new games...
The thing that gets me is that I SPY is the ONLY HOG that has no hint system what-so-ever... What does that say about us older fishies ... lol

prpldva
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
48,548 Posts

[Post New]by prpldva on Nov 20, 09 4:43 AM
This was my first HOG game years ago. I think it came out in 1999.

It is a very nicely done game for children, but most adults will enjoy it too. I believe that you can play through three times with the same profile and have different clues.

I love the entire series. Treasure Hunt is my favorite, but Spooky Mansion will always have a special place.

These are all the games..

I Spy Fantasy
I Spy Funhouse
I Spy Mystery
I Spy School Days
I Spy Spooky Mansion
I Spy Treasure Hunt
I Spy Junior

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Nov 20, 09 5:00 AM
I know kids like these because I once bought this particular one for a friend's son who has developmental delays, and it was his favorite game for quite some time and may still be.

And, I might add that I REALLY wanted to play it before I gave it to him, but of course, I couldn't.

Edited on 11/20/2009 at 5:01:20 AM PST

Staril
Minnow
Minnow
227 Posts

[Post New]by Staril on Nov 20, 09 5:13 AM
I bought this game years ago and loved it. This time, however, there seems to be a problem with the graphics and everything is pixilated. I'm rather disappointed as I was looking forward to playing it again ... but the fuzziness is just too much for me

LilyCat
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by LilyCat on Nov 20, 09 5:58 AM
Generousgem - someone pointed out on another thread that the BFG version of this game does have a hint system. Yes indeed, what does this say about us, that the kids didn't need it but we do!!

I bought it from the other site too, and I can't download any of their games now, even ones still available - their software seizes up my computer. Thank goodness for Big Fish!

Staril - I'm glad someone else noticed the pixilated effect - I thought maybe it was just me and I'd remembered the original game wrongly. I'm sure the original was crystal clear.

Don't think I'll buy this a second time, but it's a good game, with high production standards, and I'd recommend it.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Nov 20, 09 6:30 AM
Sorry....but I-SPY is a no buy...TGIF

bball111
Guppy
Guppy
194 Posts

[Post New]by bball111 on Nov 20, 09 6:40 AM
Staril wrote:I bought this game years ago and loved it. This time, however, there seems to be a problem with the graphics and everything is pixilated. I'm rather disappointed as I was looking forward to playing it again ... but the fuzziness is just too much for me

Yes, the original game had very crisp graphics. You would need that in a children's game with no hints. This version looks like you're viewing under water.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Nov 20, 09 6:43 AM
I enjoyed this much more once I turned off the narration. With the narration on, it is a little slower. The narrator is the lady from Poltergeist who has had a great career narrating and appearing in spooky movies and TV shows. She has always annoyed me with her slow precise language which is great for movies, TV, etc. but bores me.

This is a child's game, no doubt. It has lots of cute and enough "gross" for most kids. The minis and clue lists are clever. There is a Hint system in this game unlike the last one that we had.

Don't let this childs' game fool you, there are some tricky clues and some hard-to-find items. The animations are fun and the interactive bits are too.

This is worth a try especially for children (who like "Goosebumps"!). I am not sure I will buy. Until I turned off the narration, it was a definite NO. Now it is a Maybe.

88blyth
Catfish
Catfish
1,705 Posts

[Post New]by 88blyth on Nov 20, 09 6:58 AM
i have played the trial and thought i had finished when i escaped the house but you go back in and start again with new clues, very clever games with lots of things well hidden...thank goodness for the hints!!

Dancing_Cat
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

[Post New]by Dancing_Cat on Nov 20, 09 7:12 AM
Well I loved it! The graphics were excellent on my computer that some games won't play on at all. I'm in touch with my inner child so that wasn't a problem. I loved the FUN atmosphere. I've heard some voices in games that I couldn't put up with but this one seemed in keeping with the game. I've also played some HOGs that other people raved over and that left me cold. I WANTED to play this one and explore the house. The mini games were great and challenging to hand/eye dexterity.The hint system took a while to recharge but that gave me a chance to find things on my own. There were 3 kinds of clues - the actual object, a WORD, things to do to complete a clue. I think I nearly finished the game in the hour but it's one I would enjoy coming back to so it's on my To Buy list. Something that I know will appeal to some fishes is that there was no timer.

All-in-all it was a fun, friendly, challenging, inventive game to play. Thank you

1Seashell7
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by 1Seashell7 on Nov 20, 09 7:44 AM
I got puzzle piece #8 and while trying to get #9, I got a message that Adobe projector had stopped working. It closed my game and when I started it again it had lost all my progress. Not a buy for me. I didn't buy the other one either.

Edited on 11/20/2009 at 7:45:02 AM PST

I SPY ™ Spooky Mansion comments and reviews

[Post New]by JoAnnne on Nov 20, 09 8:12 AM
bfgFlounder wrote:Our reviewers haven’t had a chance to get you a review of this game yet. We do value your reviews though, as do many of the other fish in our pond, so feel free to post your own and our Big Fish reviewers will be back to throw in their two cents as soon as possible!

Happy gaming !

The game downloads , but when I click "play now" nothing happens. I uninstalled and re-installed and the same thing...nothing!
Big fish is becoming a big disappointment lately.

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Nov 20, 09 8:18 AM
Perfect for children. I finished whole game with 2 mins to spare.

missy12
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,263 Posts

[Post New]by missy12 on Nov 20, 09 8:27 AM
I think I played this one already got to check

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Nov 20, 09 9:06 AM
This game is really bad. The graphic is from the last century. I have deleted it after 5 minutes and definetely won`t buying it!

Go to: