Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Hidden Expedition: The Fountain of Youth Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Jan 7, 16 12:35 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 01/07/2016 at 9:03:09 AM PST

bfgPanthalassa
Flounder
Flounder
2,450 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Hidden Expedition: The Fountain of Youth Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by bfgPanthalassa on Jan 7, 16 9:02 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Hidden Expedition: The Fountain of Youth Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Hidden Expedition: The Fountain of Youth Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgPanthalassa

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Hidden Expedition: The Fountain of Youth Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jan 7, 16 4:05 PM
Hi all! Hope you had a great holiday. After spending Christmas Day in ER with the flu, all is well and now that our guest have gone, I am back to normal and catching up. As always, I review on the game play and not the story line. Others do a much better job than I can on that part of the game. This makes #10 in this series. No, I don't have them all, I only have 6. I like this series and was excited to beta test this one a few months ago. I was a little disappointed and gave it a 3.75 at that time, but it looks like the devs paid attention to the suggestions and cleaned this one up. Graphics and animation were nice. The colors are bright and clear. Game play was very good with no problems at all and the scene fit my large screen quite nicely. Voice overs are well done. I especially like the sound FX...animal sounds, jungle sound, bugs, etc. Not a lot of dialog, but the SFX make up for it. The music is nice and soothing and fit the scenery and game quite well.

HOPs are very clean and clear and you do have morphing objects in them, so be on the look out. I frequently forget to look for them. I didn't see many HOPs in the demo, nor were there a lot of puzzles. What we have it well done, not difficult, but some do take a bit of time and thought to complete. The fist punch puzzle was so simple, my grandson did it and he's 6. I didn't care much for the map, too plain and too many objectives opened at the same time, making it a little confusing as to where to go next. Hint system is helpful, but occasionally tells you to move on. It does transport to longer locations. I prefer this over the map any day. Didn't bother with the SG, since it didn't show the collectibles. I only use it to make sure I have them all and not for game play.

The only collectibles I found are 41 signs that actually look like very large medallions to me. Some are tucked into items, but most are very easy to spot. We also have 20 fact cards that give you more information on the areas we visit and things we see. These also are not difficult to find.

This game wasn't all that challenging, but I found it to be interesting enough to make me want to see how it plays out. I think it has just enough to make it CE worthy. This one should appeal to all levels of players. Since the devs "fixed" the beta, I have upgraded this one to a 4.0. I seldom give 5 stars to any game, unless it is exceptional. This game is not, but I do like it, so yes, I am going to add this one to my ever growing collection.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Hidden Expedition: The Fountain of Youth Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Jan 8, 16 3:35 AM
1 of 3
Like it's more recent iterations, this Hidden Expedition, “The Fountain of Youth,” is very promising.

I've completed BFG’s hour-long free trial on a MacBook Pro using OS 10.9.5.

After a couple of initial entries in the genre in 2011 and 2012, this series took a serious turn for the better. Hidden Expedition is a winning series and Eipix regularly introduces multiple games each year since 2012.

I feel like the winner in the production schedule: in my review of Smithsonian Hope Diamond I referred to the game as "exceptional" and I suggested that "dawn is rarely so prosperous" in my review of Dawn of Prosperity. The quality of Fountain of Youth is very similar to these other editions.

FUN FACTOR
Although my strong preference is for games weighted toward mini-puzzles rather than HOS, I find Fountain is a crazy fun game with LOTS to do. There are many items to collect, each helping the game progress. The items come quickly and they aren't contrived (any more than any HOG is contrived just because it is what it is). I think it's the rapidity of items that makes this so exciting.

VISUAL/SOUND QUALITY
What you see: The visuals are fantastic. Colors are vibrant. Unlike Ravenhearst, this game isn't under a dark and cloudy sky, but in the bright light of day (at least at the beginning). Items are very well drawn. In fact, they are so well drawn that at times they look more like photos than computer-generated drawings. There are 17 HOS and they are not junk piles. Items are well named, not a given in HOGs.

What you hear: I am very impressed with the audio. The soundtrack is excellent. The game is not dreary and neither is the music. It is lively and it communicates the excitement and urgency I feel playing the game.

The voice actors are also quite good. The characters are not just reading words, but putting real feeling into them without being over-dramatic. Bad guys sound like bad guys and the good guys sound like they're defending all that's right with the world.

Finally, the sound effects are among the best I've ever heard. I could actually hear a fire crackling. And, it isn't over done! A yipping monkey (or whatever it is that monkeys do) sounds real. Flowing water sounds like flowing water.

I realize that the art and science of sound effects has progressed dramatically, but I haven't heard such an example of this progress in hidden object/ puzzle/adventure games. Sound effects are much better than good in Fountain of Youth.

To be continued

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Hidden Expedition: The Fountain of Youth Collector's Edition her

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Jan 8, 16 3:37 AM
2 of 3
LEVEL OF CHALLENGE
It's here where I find that a higher degree of difficulty would have yielded a Five Star rating.

HOG: As I wrote earlier, the scenes are well-drawn and not junk piles. The items are difficult to find as a result of good blending not because they're unidentifiable.

Mini-Puzzles: There is a variety but they are not particularly puzzling. I haven't yet played a game that's a new idea. All are recycled versions of familiar games. Not only are they retreads, but, so far, they aren't as difficult as some of their predecessors. I'm hoping that as I progress in the game I'll encounter a few that are new and tough.

Collectibles: There are 41 collectibles, one in each scene. They are well placed. In fact, they are about the best "hidden" collectibles I've encountered. They aren't hidden in stupid places. They're in clear view. I struggle to find them, though, and once I do, I wonder how I missed them in the first place.

There are also "fact cards" which teach fun facts about the voyages of Ferdinand Magellan. Do you remember your grade school and high school history/geography? Magellan was the first explorer to circumnavigate the earth...and to my knowledge, had nothing to do with the Fountain of Youth. Still, there's a lot of rich material in these fact cards. Difficult to find, however, they are not.

STORYLINE
This game is an excellent example of what can happen when a good story meets with good gaming. As with earlier Eipix Expedition games, Fountain of Youth is based, at least nominally, on historical events. I think this is typically a good starting point for a great game.

The fiction is that a group of "bad guys" are disrupting the restoration of artifacts at Sigiriya, an ancient city/palace in the Central Province of Sri Lanka. Three "good guys" from HELP (the Hidden Expedition League of Preservation) have been taken captive by "bad guys" (ok, two bad guys and one bad "gal"). As the protagonist/gamer, our job is to find the captive colleagues, avoid the criminals and find out exactly why they're disrupting the whole project.

To be continued

Edited on 01/11/2016 at 2:27:11 AM PST

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Hidden Expedition: The Fountain of Youth Collector's Edition her

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Jan 8, 16 3:39 AM
3 of 3
COLLECTOR’S EDITION
This Collector's Edition has all the things you'd expect to find: the "who cares?" assortment of screen savers, re-playable music, etc.; a bonus chapter in which the protagonist is a member of Magellan's crew; an ordinary and unexciting list of achievements; the two sets of collectibles; an integrated strategy guide; and, a transporting map.

Do you need to buy the Collector's Edition? Is it worth it? Should you wait for the SE?

Here's my opinion:
a. There have been a couple of Ravenhearst series games (both exceptional, in my opinion) recently. Both are very dark. The Dalimars are evildoers with warped minds. Expedition has bad guys as well, but they aren't psychopaths (they're just sociopaths).

Verdict: Expedition is just the right change of pace now and a great way to start the new gaming year.

b. As mentioned earlier, while the mini-puzzles could have used an infusion of “hard to solve.” the HOGs and collectibles are fine and quite challenging. Also, my experience is that the bonus chapters in Expedition games are excellent.

Verdict: The extras in Fountain make me want this whole game NOW.

c. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and even though we've had a several-year drought, the rain has been falling steadily for a week. (I think there should be a game with "El Nino" as the back drop!). It's been a pleasure to see the bright blue skies of Fountain of Youth.

Verdict: Fountain is just the cure for Rainy Days and Mondays.

I heartily recommend Hidden Expedition: Fountain of Youth Collector’s Edition

vibtek
Clownfish
Clownfish
539 Posts

[Post New]by vibtek on Jan 8, 16 9:32 AM
I have trouble getting through these types of games . but it is something different.

Edited on 01/08/2016 at 9:32:46 AM PST

kandinsky
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

so far story seems ridiculous

[Post New]by kandinsky on Jan 8, 16 6:47 PM
Ive gotten I guess two thirds of the way through it and I am
afraid I feel a little like that little boy who pointed out that the
emperor had no clothes... perhaps it makes more sense as it
goes along but the story seems peculiarly far from having any
relation to history starting with there being no connection between
magellan and the fountain of youth, no battle decimating the crew
before leaving the atlantic (one ship turned back in effect deserting
it seems)...I wonder if they will avoid his death in the philippines/ but
beyond that somehow the game play seems tiresome and the
story ,following something of a hidden expedition pattern, features
our heroine finding things and then letting the bad guys take them
away time after time after time... neglecting to eliminate her of course.
somehow is it just me or is this too absurd?
else the scenes are pretty... the hidden object games are nothing
specially new but ok ...the puzzles pretty easy or else I skipped them
but thats just me. feel like I may be getting game burnout...

Edited on 01/08/2016 at 7:03:37 PM PST

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Jan 9, 16 2:39 PM
Clean and crisp and in my opinion, really nice except for one thing which is a no buy for me....too much dialogue.

magilligan
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by magilligan on Jan 14, 16 9:44 AM
BFG I wish I could get back to not being nervous when downloading the games but everytime I think it will be okay I come against the mint in this game I have tried every which way and cannot get it opened Help desperately required

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Jan 22, 16 11:03 PM
I really enjoyed this 'Hidden Expedition: Fountain of Youth CE (I have all the previous H.E.'s) so much more than the previous one.It played smoothly with no problems and I agree with the reviewers that had positive reviews (so well written - envy)

& 1/2 out of 5

Played on new desktop running factory installed Win.10 with no problems

P.S. My oldest favorite HOG is still "Hidden Expedition: Amazon"

MLC60
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by MLC60 on Feb 6, 16 8:32 AM
I agree with kandisky. Ponce de Leon was the one searching for the Fountain of Youth. It seems these developers not only flunked literature, they also flunked history. I used to buy a CE and sit for hours until I had finished the whole game. I have been working on this one several days and am only to the second city. It is not only boring, the historical inaccuracy makes it very difficult for me to finish.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Jun 4, 16 8:29 PM
No time to go into details! My faithful computer (Windows XP), is on its last legs. There is always a question whether I can play, buy or delete a game when it finally boots up! But at any rate, I truly enjoyed this game. I thought it excellent in every way. Graphis, music, storyline, everything. Enjoyable. Many extras as a bonus, some of the mini-games had me stumped, but still enjoyed the game very much.
One of the better games I played this year so far!!

feenix

Go to: