Swapping dilemma

annieliz1
Salmon
Salmon
2,640 Posts

Swapping dilemma

[Post New]by annieliz1 on Jan 7, 16 8:32 AM
When I was swapping pumpkins I was not always sure who was swapping and who was not. Some players sent me pumpkins and although they did not have anything about swapping in their name to give me a clue they would have a pumpkin in their wishlist. So I would send a pumpkin back and sometimes a swapping relationship would ensue. The same thing may be happening with the stamp swapping which I have now joined. Am I just being a bit mad and should I just take the line that if it ain't in the name then it isn't happening? What do other people do?

Edited on 01/07/2016 at 10:14:38 AM PST

Annelliegram
Shark
Shark
10,615 Posts

Re:Swapping dilemma

[Post New]by Annelliegram on Jan 7, 16 8:47 AM
I have a swapping note next to my name so others will KNOW that it is my desire to do so.....There are 5 people who regularly swap with me. Only one of those people have swap next to their name.

I looked at others' lists --- sent a unique stamp to see if they would return one...If they did, I made a note of it to send them another one. If they did not, I made a note to NOT send them another one. Others have sent a unique stamp to me in response to my name message, and I return the stamp to them as soon as I have an open slot in giving.

There are some who send me unique stamps and do not have that stamp in their wish list.....it saddens me that some lower level players are giving up their needed stamps, but there is nothing I can do to prevent them from making their own choices.

I keep a list of those who send me a unique stamp but do not have it on their wish list.....when it DOES appear, I will know how many I owe them in return.

gohill
Stingray
Stingray
4,715 Posts

[Post New]by gohill on Jan 7, 16 10:20 AM
It can be "interesting".... made more so when someone has they are swapping unique stamps by their name, and the unique stamp is not on their wishlist... oooooooookay... fade back, and punt.... just exactly how would you like me to accomplish that?!?!?!.... my fairy wand is on the fritz ...

If I send an unique stamp, I wait till I get it back before I send another.... (unless I know they need to use it... pretty obvious when the rest of the wishlist is all the stuff to craft the ancestor's spirit )..

I know I'm on rotation with many of my friends... even the swapping ones.... I keep track ... I have more than 15 friends I could gift, so I do the rotation thing, myself.... If someone can't get back to me, I go to the person I have been unable to gift the longest and gift them instead... Plus, I'm also using up a lot of gifting slots for the Consortium... I do what I can and hope it all evens out over the long run...

Wishlists... love em... hate em... reminds me of something... oh YEAH, this GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... a "vacation" in the "special" hospital may be in my near future

da fuzz in da britches

annieliz1
Salmon
Salmon
2,640 Posts

[Post New]by annieliz1 on Jan 7, 16 10:26 AM
Thanks Annelligram for your information; it is good to hear that it is not just me trying to resolve this one. I do something similar to yourself. I keep an index card for all my friends, marked with anything that is stated to be a swap situation. Also when I send or receive the item in question I mark the card with the fact of it being sent or received. It would be easier though if people clearly stated their intention! Please.

General_hobojoe
Catfish
Catfish
1,726 Posts

[Post New]by General_hobojoe on Jan 7, 16 10:27 AM
If i am not on a sawp list....which i am not, is it wrong for me to add to the pile of those sawp items........for instance....gift the swap items and not have them on my list.....i gift unique stamps all the time....and I do not have them on my list...so am I infringing or wedging in on the sawp by gifting the swap without being involved in the swap......

I hope not......in my mind I was adding to the swap by doing so.......so should I stay out of the sawp if i am not a part of the swap?.....just curious as to edicate with it...
cheers **D**

annieliz1
Salmon
Salmon
2,640 Posts

[Post New]by annieliz1 on Jan 7, 16 10:29 AM
Hi gohill, I was still writing while you were posting. it is a bit confusing sometimes, probably for most people. I make arrangements with people and there isn't always room or wishlist space to keep all my intentions and arrangements going. I confuse myself never mind other people.

NB I am very happy to receive anything on my wishlist; thank you to those who have been gifting to me.

annieliz1
Salmon
Salmon
2,640 Posts

[Post New]by annieliz1 on Jan 7, 16 10:36 AM
Hi general, missed you too. I think we all - myself included - have to not worry too much or try to second-guess people's intentions. Most people are fairly laid back and as long as someone isn't taking the proverbial long-term then I am okay with most things that happen.

gohill
Stingray
Stingray
4,715 Posts

[Post New]by gohill on Jan 7, 16 10:49 AM
General_hobojoe wrote:If i am not on a sawp list....which i am not, is it wrong for me to add to the pile of those sawp items........for instance....gift the swap items and not have them on my list.....i gift unique stamps all the time....and I do not have them on my list...so am I infringing or wedging in on the sawp by gifting the swap without being involved in the swap......

I hope not......in my mind I was adding to the swap by doing so.......so should I stay out of the sawp if i am not a part of the swap?.....just curious as to edicate with it...
cheers **D**

If you don't have "swap" by your name, then I don't see a problem with it... I'm sure your friends are VERY happy to receive anything you send them I think what happened with me, is that the person just forgot to change their message by their name... I've never done that ... HAHAHAHA.... (yes, I HAVE).... oops..

The swapping thing gets confusing for me when I don't know which is MOST important to the person with a swap wishlist... course, if there are multiple swap items, they are probably all important... UNLESS, like with mine, the only reason I have a snowflake or the pumpkin on my list is for OTHER people who still need to swap... I have the pumpkin and snow fairy avatars on all my games, I still swap to help those who don't.... Sometimes, someone will forget I don't need either one and I see the snow fairy on their card, so I know they don't need a snowflake but they will send me one, so I send it back... wasting both of our gifting slots *sigh*....(banging head against wall)... oh well, moving right along...

There are times people send me the snowflake or pumpkin and they don't have it on their wishlist, I just keep them and send them on to the Consortium or for those who haven't finished crafting their pets....

Onwards, Upwards, Forward.... CHAAAAAAARGE.... to the Castle (and beyond),
da fuzz

General_hobojoe
Catfish
Catfish
1,726 Posts

[Post New]by General_hobojoe on Jan 7, 16 10:55 AM
Kool.....then it is not all for not as I thought.....even when my head has got....a question mark or blank spot......I go straight to the coffee pot.....then remember what I had forgot....oh my word gotta gift that slot........ **D** out

Rahia
Catfish
Catfish
1,507 Posts

[Post New]by Rahia on Jan 7, 16 11:03 AM
I was doing the stamp swap until I got swamped with stamps. I don't need them but everyone was sending them and I had no way to return the favor. I use most of the slots on my main to send to the Consortium or to people who have Spring, Halloween and Christmas items in their wishlist. I was really only catching my stamps up to each other in the achievement listing. I'm grateful for the extra stamps I got but I felt bad for those on lower levels so I took them down.

I do have them on my alts for those who still want to swap but not on my main. My main doesn't need anything. If I gave my stamp totals most people would yell at me. If I gave my airship totals most people would yell at me. I just have a wishlist just because I want to gift and don't want people thinking that I'm not helping by not having a wishlist. I use one slot now to try and get eggs on my wheel but that isn't working.

In all honesty, you have to do what is best for you. I have one alt game that has sent unique stamps out (it had 60 prior to the Christmas event) and I've only gotten a handful in return. That game is now down to 8 unique stamps and I only send out to those who I know will return them. If you want to swap, swap. If you want to give, give. It's really all up to you. They are your gifting slots after all.

Annelliegram
Shark
Shark
10,615 Posts

[Post New]by Annelliegram on Jan 7, 16 11:50 AM
I do not put snowflakes and pumpkins on my list (or Santa's Medallion, for that matter) because I need none of the above. Others who have "swap" next to pumpkin or snowflake --- I happily give them one, two, many because I have an abundance of left overs just for that purpose. I reeeeeeeelly do not want them back, hence, leaving them off the list.

My first priority is to return any unique stamps I receive....after that, I look through my friends' list to see if someone is still asking for Santa's Medallions (they are only good for crafting the 2 new Christmas pets and many people had insufficient pink boxes to gift so they could generate the amount they needed).

If I have any giving slots left, I try to fill them with pumpkin and snowflake requests.

Fishkins
Starfish
Starfish
59 Posts

[Post New]by Fishkins on Jan 7, 16 12:35 PM
What is different about swapping and gifting from the wish list? Did the boat sail without me again?

Annelliegram
Shark
Shark
10,615 Posts

[Post New]by Annelliegram on Jan 7, 16 12:45 PM
Fishkins wrote:What is different about swapping and gifting from the wish list? Did the boat sail without me again?

When you "swap" --- you expect to get like for like......I send you a Unique Stamp; you send me one back.....This does not increase or decrease my inventory, but counts toward the Achievement for receiving a unique stamp. ---- well, it decreases my inventory until I get yours in return....then it is added back.

When you "gift" an item -- you send it to someone in need and do not expect (nor sometimes WANT) that item returned to you. It is sent for the recipient to use in their game as they want to. Naturally, a gifted item will be deleted from your inventory. And you do not expect for it to be repaid/returned.....but many of us HOPE to at least get something from our wish list in return.

Edited on 01/07/2016 at 12:46:13 PM PST

AnnaDownes01
Flounder
Flounder
2,175 Posts

[Post New]by AnnaDownes01 on Jan 7, 16 1:11 PM
I don't have swap after my name on my Cattiepuss game as I am trying to craft the Fairy and the Gnome. I also have pumpkins on the list, which I do swap with people.

I figured if I put swap on the list it would be too confusing for people, who could think I was swapping all.

I have a fab group of people who are helping me achieve the pets and have pm'd me about not worrying to gift them back until I have achieved them.

I don't have a wish list on my main game and am still dispatching pumpkins and Santa Medallions to those who need them, Snowflakes were on short supply there. My motto on that game is If I have it and you need it, I will gift it. Works the same way on the lower level game, which is why I ended up needing snowflakes. Didn't even have double figures on boxes in that game.

Trix

[Post New]by BlazeDuskdreamer on Jan 9, 16 9:32 AM
I've gone to swapping all four stamps. If a person gifts me a stamp and has a stamp (even if it's a different color) I'm sending back but if they just don't have it on their wish list, I assume they either don't care about the achievement or just plain don't need one. I accept their gift with good grace and gift them something that is on their wish list. Obviously, since I currently have the four stamps up, that is all they can currently gift me. Is that wrong? I figure the plain stamp, at least, is easy enough even for those low levels.

General_hobojoe
Catfish
Catfish
1,726 Posts

[Post New]by General_hobojoe on Jan 9, 16 9:51 AM
You're golden Blaze......as long as the intention to give and receive is apparent we are doing the ethical path.....all the nuances and interlude is side bar in my opinion......folks know if one is upright....and or the filp side.....I can do my best and do my part.....as other folks......if I fall short in some eyes then that is their view......hopefully I step on less toes as the game rolls on......just wished we could gift 15 in 24......as apposed to 5 in 8......and on 2nd thought.......30 in 24 would be the bees knees..... **D**

[Post New]by empress2shakes on Jan 9, 16 2:53 PM
I just put up no swaps by my name... I do not mind swapping, but my inventory was getting way low, not enough snowflakes to even craft the new pets, as I was giving out more than I got back.. So I took it off my gift list and will worry about it next year. I hate to not gift my regular friends, but when all they have on their list is pumpkins and snowflakes or stamps, I do not have them to spare, especially when i send them one and they send me back something different, so does not help me for challenges or what i need. I have a few that regardless I will send a stamp, they have helped me along the way, but others not so much or they are just collecting items and sending them to the consortium.. if you do not belong to the consortium, it makes it hard for some of us. If you are one of my good friends and I want to keep up our gifting, I was sending back the same item even though I needed them and I could not send back to you what you have on your list, either I did not have it or you were swapping and I have a low inventory for swapping. I have not been able to play like I was since the new update, it totally screwed up my game playing. Yes i tried all the fixes and contacted tech support, but when you have to wait 2 to 5 minutes in between each move you make, it gets old fast! So I am just muddling through, getting on basically to send gifts , do maybe 4 HOS and then am screaming!! LOL

Milan_Indiana
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by Milan_Indiana on Jan 9, 16 5:00 PM
I have "stamp swap" after my name and still have challenges in getting my friends to participate. Recently I went over and posted on the Looking for Friends post that I wanted to trade stamps. (I actually list 3 of the 4 stamps as my needs and keep track on what I get and will trade back with what I get.)
Of the 5-6 friends that I picked up, and specifically said I wanted to trade stamps, only 1 lists and trades stamps!!!! Go figure.

pamkatz
Clownfish
Clownfish
864 Posts

[Post New]by pamkatz on Jan 9, 16 5:48 PM
General_hobojoe wrote:If i am not on a sawp list....which i am not, is it wrong for me to add to the pile of those sawp items........for instance....gift the swap items and not have them on my list.....i gift unique stamps all the time....and I do not have them on my list...so am I infringing or wedging in on the sawp by gifting the swap without being involved in the swap......

cheers **D**
I also gift swap items. If friends would prefer otherwise PM me. =v=

annieliz1
Salmon
Salmon
2,640 Posts

[Post New]by annieliz1 on Jan 10, 16 1:43 AM
Hiya Pam, nice to hear from you.

If I started this thread with any hope of clarifying things then of course I am disappointed. But I did not really expect any consensus; people just do their own thing and we all muddle through the best we can. There are obviously misunderstandings along the way but with a bit of goodwill and commonsense hopefully we can sort things out.

Or not as the case may be.

Go to: