anntiem
Guppy
Guppy
161 Posts

Writing a walkthrough

[Post New]by anntiem on Jan 8, 16 6:02 AM
Hi all,

I have been contracted to write a walkthrough for a website that provides them...can't give you the URL because the post would be deleted.

Which would be more helpful for everyone?

1. Videos or written with screenshots.

2. Instructions (videos or written) for getting expert and all secrets on normal mode or just expert on hard mode without the secrets as I've been entirely unsuccessful in getting expert and secrets in hard.

Thanks,
Ann

PS I have requested the same from the website and there is a chance that I may have to go counter to what is requested here.

mrbass1957
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

Re:Writing a walkthrough

[Post New]by mrbass1957 on Jan 8, 16 11:07 AM
Hi. I have always found a written walkthrough with screen caps of relevant items helpful in TM games.

[Post New]by Symeezcatzlady on Jan 8, 16 1:53 PM
I know it's a lot more work for folks like you that write game walkthroughs, but written with screenshots is MUCH preferable to videos. It's too hard to remember what all you saw in a video and if you need to go back to re-watch, it's much harder to find the specific info you're looking for. Thanks for asking!

Hespera
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

[Post New]by Hespera on Jan 8, 16 4:06 PM
Anything but getting expert is useless and in this game, expert requires gold time and all secrets. It doesn't matter if it's written or video.

Anyone can do a walkthrough showing less (and there are already some out there).

And it needs to be timely. Before everyone has finished the game.

Edited on 01/08/2016 at 4:08:13 PM PST

KimApollo
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by KimApollo on Jan 8, 16 8:17 PM
This game is driving me mad, in a good way. Eagerly awaiting a walkthrough, can't get expert on a few levels.I always prefer written, forget things too easily watching a video.Thanks!

anntiem
Guppy
Guppy
161 Posts

[Post New]by anntiem on Jan 9, 16 10:31 AM
Hi there,

Thanks for your input. Sorry that timely isn't really an option Hespera. I run my own business and the walkthrough website needs to make sure there is demand for the guide before contracting for it. (Yeah, I get paid...about $2/hour when I'm done!)

Given that, I wholeheartedly agree that written walkthroughs are better...so maybe I'll make a combination of the two.

I still need to understand something; as Hespera said, it is useless to do something without getting expert & all secrets....except that you do get to the bonus level without all secrets because I had a couple levels where I found all the secrets but forgot to pick them up.

So if I made the walkthrough on normal mode with all secrets and all expert, would that be good? That will make my life SO much easier as the hard mode is kicking my **** and I am having a hard time getting expert time even without picking up all the secrets.

I'll start off the walkthrough with the levels that people have posted about first and then fill in. Let me know if you need anything else and I'll try to get it done quickly...and if you ask real nicely, I'll even PM any levels to you while we're all waiting for the guide to go live.

HemiGamer
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by HemiGamer on Jan 9, 16 1:27 PM
I also prefer written. I'm trudging through in Normal mode and am not doing very well, starting with Level 9 in Episode 1. Not very good at these, I don't know why I enjoy them so much . So timely doesn't apply to me, I usually just try to finish all levels and then if I have your kind of help, I'll go back and try for Expert. Question: if you can't post the site where you'll have your walkthroughs, how will we find them?

Hespera
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

[Post New]by Hespera on Jan 9, 16 2:11 PM
What I meant to say (I guess I didn't say it well), was a walkthrough that doesn't use expert mode to get expert time is, in my opinion, useless.

The problem with almost all the walkthroughs out there now is that they either don't do the bonus levels, get the extras, or play in expert mode, so they are of no use to people who do. The majority of the walkthroughs out there now show how to play in regular mode and how to get 3 stars (or whatever) but without getting any of the achievements or extras.

For me, and most people who play on the hardest difficulty, walkthroughs are useless if we need help.

Edited on 01/09/2016 at 8:40:24 PM PST

Mopface
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by Mopface on Jan 11, 16 6:34 PM
I also would find the screen grabs with walkthrough, is the way to go (for me anyway).
And I appreciate that you do this Ann. The work is tedious, time-consuming and low-paying. THANK-YOU!

And, I LOVE YOU!

anntiem
Guppy
Guppy
161 Posts

[Post New]by anntiem on Jan 11, 16 7:12 PM
I have uploaded the first 20 videos to YouTube. You're right it is very time consuming to do written and video...so I've just done video so far so I can get it done.

In any case, all 41 levels have been captured with expert time, on hard mode, with all secrets...except for level 2, which I believe just can't be done. I am currently producing the videos which is quite time consuming as I can only do one at a time.

Enjoy!

Hespera
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

[Post New]by Hespera on Jan 11, 16 8:21 PM
You've always done solid work Ann. You're guides have been favored by many for years. They are sorely missed.

Video is fine and is much much quicker. I know many pefer written but with TM games it's so extraordinarily labor intensive.

For those who are unaware, you can slow down the playback of the video stream and enlarge the picture, if it helps you.

Edited on 01/11/2016 at 8:24:23 PM PST

Csustar
Clownfish
Clownfish
565 Posts

[Post New]by Csustar on Jan 12, 16 3:31 PM
Hespera wrote:You've always done solid work Ann. You're guides have been favored by many for years. They are sorely missed.

Video is fine and is much much quicker. I know many pefer written but with TM games it's so extraordinarily labor intensive.

For those who are unaware, you can slow down the playback of the video stream and enlarge the picture, if it helps you.

I would be interested in knowing how you slow down a video on you tube. I know how to enlarge it, but slowing down, not sure.

BHQld
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by BHQld on Jan 12, 16 10:26 PM
Do a screenshot with circles around secrets and/or important locations, then Dot Point written.

People can grab a lot of information in a quick glance and they'll be far more appreciative of not having to sit through someone's grand-standing about how they did it, like with a video.

Hespera
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

[Post New]by Hespera on Jan 13, 16 3:50 AM
Csustar wrote:
Hespera wrote:You've always done solid work Ann. You're guides have been favored by many for years. They are sorely missed.

I would be interested in knowing how you slow down a video on you tube. I know how to enlarge it, but slowing down, not sure.

On the video screen, click on the the settings button (gear) then click on 'speed'.
You'll usually see the word 'Normal' checked. To slow it down, click a number above normal. To speed it up, click a number below normal. Depending on your graphics capabilities, this might distort the image a little, so you can also adjust the quality (underneath speed). Again, this will depend on your particular machine capabilities. Any changes you make pertain only to the particular clip you are watching for that view only. They don't affect your computer or the clip itself (the changes aren't saved).

Moneve
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by Moneve on Jan 19, 16 8:32 AM
Written with screen shots is best, You are an angel! I can't win Episode 2 Level 10 so I am stuck. I have found most of the secrets but can't win gold if I have to look for them and sometimes when I'm not looking for secrets, I still can't win gold! Very grateful for the walkthrough.

Viola730
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by Viola730 on Jan 20, 16 8:00 PM
My preference is also for written with screenshots. I'd also like to know up front how many secrets are on a level -- it's been so annoying to finish a level having found 3 secrets, only to discover that there were 4!

cowclaudia
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by cowclaudia on Jan 23, 16 9:15 AM
Actually I prefer "toughing it out" and doing it on my own. To me walk throughs, etc ruin the game and takes away the challenge of using my brain. You shouldn't have to agonize over a game (like some are doing finding the buried treasure or getting expert). Games should be fun. If you can't get it the first time replay the level or play the game again.

But a thank you to gamers who are willing to do the above for fellow fishies.

chahn
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by chahn on Jan 23, 16 11:02 AM
Ann Where is your written walk through...I would love a little help

[Post New]by cjcatlady on Jan 24, 16 9:13 PM
I would very much appreciate the screenshots with the spots highlighted. The Hercules walkthroughs are great. When you inside a level you can click a "guide" button and it takes you through every step of the level. Check it out if you want to. It makes the game super easy but you have a choice whether to use the resource or not.

Go to: