bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Cajun Cop: The French Quarter Caper comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Nov 24, 09 1:18 AM
Our reviewers haven’t had a chance to get you a review of this game yet. We do value your reviews though, as do many of the other fish in our pond, so feel free to post your own and our Big Fish reviewers will be back to throw in their two cents as soon as possible!

Happy gaming !

corbs123
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,701 Posts

Re:Cajun Cop: The French Quarter Caper comments and reviews

[Post New]by corbs123 on Nov 24, 09 4:19 AM
a fairly straight forward hidden object game but i found you had to click several times to get an object or is that just me i hate it when you take a hint and discover you have clicked the object uncovered, only did trial not sure to buy depends on length of play. but no gloomy dark spots bonus.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Nov 24, 09 4:21 AM
This game also has some fairly easy minis but they can be skipped. Hints renew in good time. There is a penalty for too much clicking.

There is an option to play with Hints or more Hints. I played the latter but did not find it agressive so i wonder what the other mode is like. Maybe those Hints renew slower.

Some items can be moved to reveal other items. You have an inventory in which certain items accumulate for use later, usually in a mini.

Hot Spots with sparkles lead to other scenes. You can go to those scenes and then return. You do not have to complete a scene before moving on to one of the hot spots. Some extra areas with in scenes such as a HOG in a trash can or cabinet.

This seems like a fairly easy, relaxing game. I had no stress or difficulties in the Demo. The music is a little weak. I would expect some nice jazz or blues. not the dated, generic music it has. This took away just a tiny bit from the game. The cartoon graphics are good and clean but i would prefer a different kind of art. Still, the graphics are solid.

This seems to be a good junk pile HOG that is fairly easy with no stress. Give it a try!

bailey8877
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by bailey8877 on Nov 24, 09 4:36 AM
This game is the worst! I couldn't even last 20 min. For some reason it takes two or three times to click on some items and the game is just boring!

susielee
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by susielee on Nov 24, 09 5:55 AM
This game has FIVE "Find the Differences". I hate these!! I will never knowingly buy a game with so many of these ridiculous puzzles. It's like they're not creative enough to do anything else. This one is not for me!

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Nov 24, 09 8:59 AM
This is a straight hog game. I personally prefer Ihogs, but thats only my opinion. The graphic is good, items are easy to find, relaxing gameplay. I have looked on the walkthrough and I think the gamelength might be 2 1/2 hours (not enough for me). I think thats a good game for hog-beginners and lovers from straight hog games.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Nov 24, 09 9:10 AM
Eisteepfirsich wrote:This is a straight hog game. I personally prefer Ihogs, but thats only my opinion. The graphic is good, items are easy to find, relaxing gameplay. I have looked on the walkthrough and I think the gamelength might be 2 1/2 hours (not enough for me). I think thats a good game for hog-beginners and lovers from straight hog games.

I guess you missed the inventory items and doing little things like finding a key and using it to unlock something. This is not an elaborate interaction but this game still does have some use of inventory items.

Rose427
Stingray
Stingray
4,519 Posts

[Post New]by Rose427 on Nov 24, 09 9:27 AM
I wanted to like this game, I ended up feeling nauseous .
I didn't even get past his kitchen or his office really.

Pros:
Good Graphics
Creative use of hiding objects and uncovering those objects.
Brightness Option
Option to turn the sound effects and music down (I wonder if the creator played through with the music/sound effects on )

Cons:
Spinning cursor
Irritating sound effects (turned them off)
Generic music (reminds me of my old cell phone)
(Really just turn the sound off and pop in a New Orleans jazz cd)
Did I mention the spinning cursor

spunkypunk
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by spunkypunk on Nov 24, 09 10:37 AM
Dear fishes,

Everything is relative, as we all know. I had been playing the first " Escape the Museum" all weekend, and for me, this demo was a breath of fresh air!!!!!!!!!

Easy, yes, but one does have to move items to get to stuff on the list. I love mini-games and this is a game I might buy just to have a game I can finish with ease!!!

Spunky

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Nov 24, 09 11:51 AM
The graphix made me roll my eyes, in particular the gold frame & the loading bar. It seriously looks like some amateur took these pieces into EyeCandy & applied a very bad bevel to them & didn't know how to work the shading options. I honestly could do better than that! Some of the HOs were not cleanly transparent with jagged edges or looked grainy from poor resizing. And apparently there is a HOs shortage b/c the same items kept showing up in different locations, like the baskets were in Jacques's office, the evidence rm, the bookstore, the house, among other things. Each scene should've had its own stuff. That's just dev laziness IMHO. The map was utterly useless; who wants to look at a grid while listening to a "vroom" noise? No bldgs on it & not even a car. What was its pt? More laziness IMHO. Either do it right or eliminate it. I've seen better graphix & maps in games that are much older. Not much quality control here.

The find the differences were plentiful & of medium difficulty; about a dozen leapt right out at you & the rest you had to really hunt for. 20 of these is a bit much. Thankfully the hint reloaded in about a min in the "rookie" version so you could hurry up & get it over with already. The minigames I encountered were a Match-3 variation & a stupid wires turning game. I didn't like that the inventory took up a big chunk of the R side & made the scene smaller w/ the HOs being on the bottom. You had to click thru dialogue balloons w/ no option to skip & it was really not much of a storyline. The interactive bits were pretty simple to execute & I did like the scene-in-a-scene w/ looking in drawers, trash cans, barrels for HOs.

When I saw this was set in New Orleans w/ a "cajun cop" I expected zydeco music & famous landmarks in the French Quarter, Jackson Square, Lake Ponchartrain, the Mississippi, a bayou, plantation house, etc., not anonymous, badly thrown together rms. Naming him Jacques did not qualify as "cajun". The characters look like they're from the 40s or 50s, yet this angle isn't worked into the storyline at all.

Really hate when poor development takes away from playing a game. I don't think I'd buy this unless it were .99 & even then I'd think about it. My fav HOGs are those with engrossing storylines & outstanding graphix, & this game doesn't cut it.

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Nov 24, 09 11:52 AM
PS> The clickability area on small or narrow HOs was off as well.

obrien60
Guppy
Guppy
168 Posts

[Post New]by obrien60 on Nov 24, 09 12:07 PM
I like this game. It's cheerful. I only got to the beginning of chapter two during the demo. I need something like this before going insane with MCF game this weekend. I am buying it. Please tell me I am not alone.

sunnny
Manatee
Manatee
3,945 Posts

[Post New]by sunnny on Nov 24, 09 12:25 PM
I like this game,but am undecided whether to buy or not.
The game has as many plus points as irritants.
Plus:
Clarity of graphics
No garbage cans to pick through (so far)
Hint system good
Music can be turned off
Objects relativelly easy to find
Minus:
The cursor
Some objects are really small and even if you find them, if you do not
click in one particular way, you don*t get them
All you get is warning about a time penalty.
(game not timed, so what is the point?)

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Nov 24, 09 1:39 PM
I watched the video of this game and I wasn't too impressed. I'm not sure I'll even download the trial. I like more Interactive games than this one has and I don't care for the music, though I know I can turn it off.

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Nov 24, 09 1:57 PM
I think this is going to one of those games that folks either like or don't like, thus falling into to category -- "Different Strokes, for Differnt Folks." -- LOL.

My "2-cents worth!"

PROS -- The first thing that I liked about this game was the scenes. They are really sharp. Though, for some folks, the sharpest might hurt the eye. Not me. I love them. For each primary scene, there are 2-3 secondary scenes build into them. Moving from one scene to the other is very straight-forward. The HOs are your usual "junk pile," but, most of them were appropriate for the storyline and the scenes. Lots of HOs to find. This game also has mini-games -- find the differences, check out finger prints, put puzzles together, finger out combinations. There might be others, but I only complete 3-1/2 chapters in 50 minutes. The mini-games are somewhat easy, but I liked that. Sometimes I just want to relax my way through a game. This game is relaxing -- no timer. You can skip mini-games, but this adds 20 minutes to your score.

CONS -- Clicking on objects can be difficult. You have to hit the objects just right or you can click away and be penalized. While the game says that you will get points added for skipping games, there is no tutitoral to really tell you what the scoring system is. I'm a little tired of "find the differences" in games. Would like to have less of them. A little interaction by moving an object out of the way, but not really an added feature of this game.

Bottomline -- Not sure that I would purchasee this game though I did enjoy playing the demo. This game is a little to easy for me, and after 30 or so minutes of play, I was a little tired of finding objects. Of course, HOs is what this game is about so, the "problem is mine." -- This game gets my approval, just not my purchase!

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Nov 24, 09 2:00 PM
Spinning cursors drive me nuts - it's hugely distracting. The dialog in all caps makes it hard to read, and the music and sounds were annoying. Typical HOG in other aspects. Not a horrible game but spinning cursors = no buy for me.

nwl43
Stingray
Stingray
4,931 Posts

[Post New]by nwl43 on Nov 24, 09 5:41 PM
I normally like games with more interaction and problem solving and become quickly bored with hidden object scenes. I was really enjoying this one though. The hour demo went by very fast. It will go my list of maybes.

The spinning cursor was distracting at first, but I found I hardly noticed it after playing for awhile.

[Post New]by dawnmurray on Nov 24, 09 8:39 PM
I enjoyed this one, it's going on my short list (games I'll buy sometime). I usually don't post in the reviews but almost always read them before I decide whether to buy or not. Reading the "cursor" comments here though made me chuckle so I had to post.... Honestly, I didn't even notice that the cursor was spinning, only realize that it must have been bc so many have mentioned it! *lol*

Not a great storyline, but not the worst I've seen either. I always play HOG with the music turned off. Really like the fact that the objects were basically to scale and realistic. Also LOVE the fact that all the scenes (so far at least) were actual text lists. I abso-freakin-lutely HATE the ones with the silhouette / shadow of objects! The spot the difference scenes aren't my favorite, but these ones weren't bad, didn't need to use any hints for them. Minigames were ok, nothing great, but ok.

Debbie387
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by Debbie387 on Nov 24, 09 8:58 PM
I'm in the "I like this one" category. A typical junk pile HOG with a bit of interactivity and the mini games were relatively simple. Just a nice relaxing game.

stone07
Koi
Koi
68,662 Posts

[Post New]by stone07 on Nov 24, 09 10:39 PM
If the developer is going to create a "French Quarter Caper", he needs to do his research. The house on Dauphine street is NOT a French Quarter House, it looks as if it belongs uptown. Also, there are court yards in the quarter - no room for back yards bar-b-que! And where is ali the "Cajun" food at the bar-b-que? No crayfish, shrimp, crabs, gumbo, etc.

Sorry, no go.

Go to: