sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Spirit of Revenge: Gem Fury here

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Jan 10, 16 1:35 AM

Part 1 of 2
A GEM OF A GAME!
I was pleasantly surprised by the collector’s edition of “Spirit of Revenge: Gem Fury.” I have two other games in the Spirit of Revenge series but I have not reviewed them and I don't remember them (time to replay, methinks).

I've completed the main portion of the game and the bonus chapter on a Mac Book Pro with Operating System 10.9.5.

Gem Fury is a story-driven game with exceptional puzzles that move the game and the story, forward. This is exactly the type of game that I like.

FUN FACTOR
Once again, the ultimate test is whether or not I keep coming back to play with alacrity or with a big "ho hum." I couldn't wait to get back to this. Consequently, Fun Factor rates very high.

VISUAL/SOUND QUALITY
What You See: if there's a feature of the game that could be improved upon, it's the visuals. Though not bad, they lack the crystal clarity that we've seen in other great games. Still, the "items" are well drawn and the scenery is colorful. There's one scene in particular, a carnival locale, that's bright and perfectly rendered.

In many HOS you may have noticed that items are not always drawn with dimensional integrity (a button that's drawn to be the same size as a watch, for instance). This is not the case with Spirit of Revenge: Gem Fury. This is to be appreciated.

What You Hear: there are several voice actors who play the roles of boys and girls. They do quite credible jobs. The couple of adult characters leave a bit to be desired, though. The adult narrator is excellent-the perfect voice for telling a story.

More importantly to me than the actors is the soundtrack/score. It is perfect. It sets a tone of urgency and impending discovery. There isn't active “terror” in this game and the music isn't "scary." So, in addition to well-chosen music, the producers have exhibited artistic restraint as well.

To Be Continued...

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Jan 10, 16 1:36 AM
Part 2 of 2
LEVEL OF CHALLENGE
Hidden Object Scenes: are well drawn. They are not junk piles. They provide a bit of a challenge, but nothing exceptional. There are several formats.

Mini-Puzzles: these are the GEMS of Gem Fury! There are many games and some of them are absolutely NEW to me. They aren't just new twists on familiar games, but brand new. This is exciting to discover during the course of play and I'm not going to give anything away…experience it for yourself. Suffice it to say, you will enjoy this. To me, this is worth the price of admission alone. There is even a Rube Goldberg super-puzzle in this game!

The Collector’s Edition includes Morphing Objects and each scene has one. The designers did not give in to the challenge-robbing cursor-as-hand-while-hovering-over-the-beyond-object trend that is the norm lately. Though only a little difficult to find, at least the morphing objects are not the total bust that so many games de-feature.

Collectible Items are also featured in the Collector’s Edition. They are personal mementoes of the young children who are the "co-objects" of our attention in the game. These are found in the normal course of play. Finding them is not a challenge at all.

STORYLINE
As with many, if not most of these games, you must suspend your disbelief. That’s the nature of “entertainment” whether a movie or a game. you'll enjoy Gem Fury. The storyline is coherent and logical (after admitting that it's totally impossible....) In the PAST: a teacher has been accused of misdeeds. She's disappeared and a number of children with her. In the Present: more children are disappearing. There's a connection! Gem Fury is about finding the connection.

This is an excellent game and I recommend it highly.

CE or SE?
In the CE the included morphs are not central to the game’s story. The collectibles, while directly related, are not challenging, so they really aren’t a bonus. The strategy guide is helpful (if you allow yourself to use it). There is the regular assortment of "who cares?" extras. I think the value of the CE is found in the bonus chapter and strategy guide and, to me, the bonus chapter is much less satisfying than the main game.

VERDICT: The SE will do nicely at a very approachable price or free, if you have a coupon.

Edited on 01/10/2016 at 1:52:16 AM PST

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Jan 10, 16 6:07 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Spirit of Revenge: Gem Fury here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Spirit of Revenge: Gem Fury.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

OnBreak
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by OnBreak on Jan 14, 16 11:32 AM
This game is so much fun. I just had to stop for a minute to come here. I might be about half way thru (hope not) the game and the puzzles are so entertaining. Not especially hard and very fun with such a variety. The game play itself is not too hard either. I have managed to get this far with no hints and the map is wonderful - im directionally challenged! If you like puzzles with your adventure give it a try if you haven't already done so.

Go to: