bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Amazing Adventures: The Caribbean Secret comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Nov 25, 09 1:03 AM
Here is what our reviewer thought of Amazing Adventures: The Caribbean Secret. Post your own thoughts about the game in this thread and join the conversation! Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Comments:
Amazing Adventures: The Caribbean Secret is a beautifully designed but fairly standard Hidden Object game. Some could classify this is a “junkpile” Hidden Object title, as sometimes the items don’t make much sense in their placement, but scenes rarely feel messy. Unlike in some games, the item proportions aren’t wildly off and most items that are sized incorrectly are represented by stamps, designs and silhouettes. Most of the items are fairly clear and are very rarely unidentifiable, are rarely grainy and most of them make sense or are at least reasonable in context. Many of the scenes are repeated multiple times, meaning that players will have to revisit the same scenes over and over again and some items never change places, but the lists are different each time. The mini-games are unfortunately cannot be skipped, but aren’t too difficult and since the timer can be turned off in options, players can take their time in solving them. Something that increases the replayability of this game is the ability to unlock Unlimited Seek & Find and a Match 3 Bonus game, meaning you’ll be able to continue playing long after you’ve finished. Overall, this is a pretty solid Hidden Object title.

Game Modes:
Caribbean Secret starts off with only a series of Hidden Object levels, broken up by mini-game levels, but has both an unlockable Unlimited Seek & Find mode as well as a Match 3 Bonus game. The game is timed by default but this can be turned off in Options.

Depth:
Caribbean Secret offers 25 missions (over 100 levels total), more than 50 mini-game puzzles and about five to six hours of play time.

Similar to:
Players that enjoyed Amazing Adventures: Around the World will enjoy Caribbean Secret as well.

Difficulty level:
Caribbean Secret offers moderate level of difficulty with a fairly forgiving timer and quick-renewing hint system.

Reviewed by E.G.

Edited on 12/09/2009 at 10:03:06 AM PST

kishimojun
Stingray
Stingray
4,534 Posts

Re:Amazing Adventures: The Caribbean Secret comments and reviews

[Post New]by kishimojun on Nov 25, 09 3:06 AM
I love these games. I have all the Amazing Adventures and all the Mystery PIs.

mamacarole629
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by mamacarole629 on Nov 25, 09 4:13 AM
I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS GAME TO COME TO BF. I TRIED IT ON ANOTHER SITE BUT MY TIME WAS CUT SHORT. I HOPE IT IS AS GOOD AS I THINK IT WILL BE. OFF TO DOWNLOAD WILL FOLLOW UP.

besstan
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,053 Posts

[Post New]by besstan on Nov 25, 09 4:16 AM
i like this game got the other amazing adventure one so i going to buy this one
i like how you play a puzzel before going to the next chapter and the graphics are good and i good long game with replay value to so off to play now besstan

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Nov 25, 09 5:35 AM
I really like all the Mystery P. I . games and the Amazing Adventure games (all are from the same developer). This game doesn`t dissapoint me and it comes of my maybe-buyinglist (I wait till Saturday to see the other tgts to make a decision, if to buying).

kelvy0303
Stingray
Stingray
4,533 Posts

[Post New]by kelvy0303 on Nov 25, 09 7:03 AM
Just played the demo. Stopped at beginning of 5th chapter. 25 chapters, so should be about 3 to 4 hours gameplay. Finding skulls opens new bonus levels. Good graphics. Like the puzzles. Objects not too hard or too easy. Timed mode. Didn't notice if there's an untimed mode. Timer is extremely generous. Almost like having an untimed play.
Liked it.

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Nov 25, 09 7:05 AM
This is a perfect HOG for when you just want to relax & play & not strain your brain. It's not really junkpile-y; somehow SpinTop has acquired the knack of not making a junkpile look like an overwhelming load of trash. It does have the same sort of interface as Escape to Rosecliff Island had, which might put some people off it. I guess they figure if it ain't broke, don't fix it & I like how SpinTop doesn't feel the need to jump on the latest gaming trend but sticks mostly to its tried & true formula. You know exactly what you're going to get from them.

The minigames are EZ & I sighed in nostaglia recalling how the MCFs used to have word searches in them. Not skippable but everyone should be able to solve them. The HOs aren't terribly tough to locate for the most part, but SpinTop is very fond of using riddles as clues ("universal identifier" for a fingerprint) or scrawling graffiti (like you're looking for a turtle, but it's written on a poster, not an actual turtle) that gives you a wee brain jolt & they can integrate things into other things quite well. Graphix are clear, crisp, well-done, & the HOs get in them seamlessly with no jarring jagged edges to make them stand out & no graininess.

It says it has 25 levels which I am sure will have some folks groaning that it's too long, but I personally like that. There's a relaxed option w/ no timer & you can tick that you want unlimited hints, also. They're even good for the minigames, which a lot of HOGs just let you flounder in them. In the demo I hadn't repeated a location yet. Like EFRI, you collect skulls (as opposed to locks) that opens unlimited Match-3 & seek & find when you hit 50. The 2 skulls up top have dead eyes if you haven't found them in a scene & glow when you do, so when you eventually get back to a place you can tell if you've gotten them all.

I think I like this one best out of the Amazing Adventures series b/c it's set up more like EFRI than the rest of those. Straight HOG w/ a few interactive elements (pour a cup of tea might be on your HOs list) & anyone who likes that will like this game.

[Post New]by nykelli1843 on Nov 25, 09 8:02 AM
Is it straight HOG or interactive?

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Nov 25, 09 8:46 AM
Straight HOG w/ a few interactive elements

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Nov 25, 09 8:46 AM
So would you say this is the same game as Rosecliff Island in a different setting? Spintop seems to make the same games over and over, which is not a bad thing as they do Old School HOGs better than anybody, just wondering if anyhting had changed?

sherisgirl
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

[Post New]by sherisgirl on Nov 25, 09 8:52 AM

Looking forward to having a go at this game, have the Egyptian 1, my 11 granddaughter plays that 1 when she visits, so will be nice to have a new 1 for her, also have Escape from Rose Island and like the interfaces of these games.

KitKat5169
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,099 Posts

[Post New]by KitKat5169 on Nov 25, 09 9:13 AM
Although I am not a fan of HOG (love IHOG) or Amazing Adventures series, I thought this was really good. Even though it's an HOG, it gives you variety (finding skulls in each scene) and a "mix" of different things to find, (each scene, so far, has a riddle to solve instead of just find this, just find that) along with minigames. Appears to be a long game, which I like.

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Nov 25, 09 9:51 AM
Poodlebear wrote:So would you say this is the same game as Rosecliff Island in a different setting? Spintop seems to make the same games over and over, which is not a bad thing as they do Old School HOGs better than anybody, just wondering if anyhting had changed?

Poodlebear, like the other SpinTop Amazing Adventures, you have your usual HOs, mini-games, match 3, and find 2 additoinal objects, in this one, you find 2 skulls. What's different from the others is a little-tiny bit of interaction in each scene. You find and object and pair it with another. In this game, different from the others, when you found all the skulls, you open unlimited **** scenes plus match three.

I think SpinTop does the best with HOGs, their art work gets better as they go. While yes, the games have the same game play, the scenes are always very different. For those looking for a good HOG that doesn't tax the brain and will provide long relaxing play time, this game and the others in the series are a most. This game gets both my approval and my purchase

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Nov 25, 09 10:14 AM
I enjoy these games too. Takes me a long time to finish them, as I use them as fillers when I don't have anything else I would rather play, or when I just have a short time to kill. Easy to pick right up where I left off.

[Post New]by Bigfishette on Nov 25, 09 10:28 AM
Already bought Dire Grove. But I love the Amazing Adventure series and that is what I'm saving my credit for.

[Post New]by nykelli1843 on Nov 25, 09 11:47 AM
Seemed a litte too bit easy for me in every way; I was already at level 5 when I stopped and that was still with 1/2 hour to go on demo.

So....with 5 out of 25 done that quickly, pfffft. There were a couple so-called interactive places (like put boards on boat to repair).

rhonayotte
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by rhonayotte on Nov 25, 09 12:22 PM
Bought this right off! I love these series. They're long and can be a little repetitive, but it's a great game for sitting back, taking your time, and relaxing. To make it even nicer, the graphics are well done and not an eyesore!

Edited on 11/25/2009 at 12:22:45 PM PST

zorrogumbo
Clownfish
Clownfish
550 Posts

[Post New]by zorrogumbo on Nov 25, 09 5:06 PM
just played the demo and found this game too well 'too' easy. but graphics were very good.... they could have work to make things a little bit harder to find.

halfadime7
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by halfadime7 on Nov 25, 09 6:15 PM
I love the entire Amazing Adventures series and bought this one without even looking at it. They've added some interactive items that give it a little extra something this time around. I am a little disappointed that the objects are so easy to find, though. It has great re-play potential and I'm sure I'll have hours and hours of good times with this one, as I have with the others. It's also comforting to hear the same music and background sounds as their other games. Makes you feel at home. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Nov 25, 09 6:39 PM
I have played the DEMO its on my "MAYBE" list. Waiting to see what comes up later this week or next.

This is a wee bet different then the others.

Happy gaming
PEN

Go to: