bfgCelebes
Flounder
Flounder
2,038 Posts

Mystery Case Files®: Dire Grove™ Collector's Edition comments and reviews

[Post New]by bfgCelebes on Nov 25, 09 8:56 AM
Here is what our reviewer thought of Mystery Case Files®: Dire Grove™ Collector's Edition . Post your own thoughts about the game in this thread and join the conversation! Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Comments:
Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove Collector’s Edition is much more than your typical Hidden Object game. Packed full of puzzles and sleuthing, its dark storyline and live action sequences make you feel as though you’re part of an interactive supernatural thriller film. This game doesn’t skimp on the details and it’s one you’ll want to play with the sound on – snow swirls and changes direction as the wind wails through the trees and every building you enter sounds as if it’s ready to fall apart around you. Snow crunches underfoot as you walk, water drips and ghosts whisper at your every move, creating a genuine feel of cold desolation. Unlike others in this genre, Dire Grove also features a ton of unlockable achievements and this Collector’s Edition even features secret content, wallpapers and behind-the-scenes media not found in the core version of the game. This game is overall engaging and offers a healthy challenge, yet is untimed and puzzles can all be skipped (though there is an achievement for completing all of them!) which keep this game from being too difficult. Despite the dark storyline and occasional “Blair Witch” feel, this game manages to not be violent or gory, so this game is appropriate for spook-chasers of all ages.

Game Modes:
Dire Grove has just an adventure mode with Hidden Object scenes and mini-game puzzles integrated into the storyline.

Depth:
Dire Grove has a total of seven chapters and a very experienced Hidden Object gamer or player making a lot of use of the strategy guide might complete it in about five hours, though this game will most likely last much longer for most players.

Similar to:
Players that enjoyed Ravenhearst and Return to Ravenhearst will also enjoy Dire Grove .

Difficulty level:
Dire Grove can be a bit difficult at times, but the lack of a timer paired with the renewing hint system and case file journal keep this game entertainingly challenging.

Reviewed by E.G.

Edited on 11/25/2009 at 4:57:36 PM PST

prpldva
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
48,548 Posts

Re:Mystery Case Files®: Dire Grove™ Collector's Edition comments and reviews

[Post New]by prpldva on Nov 25, 09 9:21 AM
Fabulous game! Superb graphics and game play, interesting storyline. Love the extra features- especially the video tour of Big Fish!

Game of the Year!

fluffy64
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by fluffy64 on Nov 25, 09 9:30 AM
Is it true that this game at 19.95 will not count as a game purchased for the month of november? Yeah if it is, darn if it's not. I don't mind the larger price, as I feel you are getting more for your money. If you bought the game at 6.99 somewhere there will be a strategy for another 6.99, plus you get extra stuff. Could someone get back to us if this game will count towards the november game. Thank you and take care all.

prpldva
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
48,548 Posts

[Post New]by prpldva on Nov 25, 09 9:33 AM
fluffy64 wrote:Is it true that this game at 19.95 will not count as a game purchased for the month of november? Yeah if it is, darn if it's not. I don't mind the larger price, as I feel you are getting more for your money. If you bought the game at 6.99 somewhere there will be a strategy for another 6.99, plus you get extra stuff. Could someone get back to us if this game will count towards the november game. Thank you and take care all.

hi fluffy64- I just got my email and it does count.....

[Post New]by elvisthedog on Nov 25, 09 9:38 AM
It definitely counts......

[Post New]by k_anth on Nov 25, 09 9:41 AM
Hi, I've purchased and played the Collector's Edition, but don't seem to have the extras like the 'bonus' easter egg levels and puzzles that reveal secrets to past and future MCF cases ... has anyone else had this issue, or can anyone point out where these extras might be?

Thanks...

Jananae
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by Jananae on Nov 25, 09 9:47 AM
I totally love the vocabulary used in this one. Words such as "accoutrement" and "emphatically".

It's like vocabulary 101 in a game!

So fun, I jumped so bad after the first relic puzzle, but now I've come to expect it.

[Post New]by Bigfishette on Nov 25, 09 9:58 AM
prpldva wrote:Fabulous game! Superb graphics and game play, interesting storyline. Love the extra features- especially the video tour of Big Fish!

Game of the Year!

Absolutely Agree! Major FUN! Loved getting a few scares so far. Thank you BFG!!!

2leap
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by 2leap on Nov 25, 09 11:14 AM

This game is great. Even exceeded my expectations, which were pretty high. My laptop is not the most powerful but is doing ok. (Has to draw breath, hiccup and go on with an occasional sob.) The game is gorgeous and you are truly there. Even getting lost is a pleasure. Well worth the price - I can see myself playing again and again.
Thank you Big Fish and MCF for hours and hours of fun!
P.S.And it comes with a security blanket!

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Nov 25, 09 11:53 AM
k_anth wrote:Hi, I've purchased and played the Collector's Edition, but don't seem to have the extras like the 'bonus' easter egg levels and puzzles that reveal secrets to past and future MCF cases ... has anyone else had this issue, or can anyone point out where these extras might be?

Thanks...

K_anth,

I just finished and had the same problem. I did not find the 50th item (no fair, BFG, making an item that you HAVE to get the first time through, or you lose access to it - this is my ONLY "play of game" complaint).

If anyone has an answer other than play the whole game again, I'll be delighted to hear it.

Of course, I WILL definitely be playing again, just not this minute....it took around 7 hours...and worth every second!

Jandin
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by Jandin on Nov 25, 09 11:56 AM
Just interupted my game to come on here and comment.

I love it! I love the way you can jump to the strategy guide in the middle of things if you are stuck. My only issue was the womans accent on the radio, being from near these parts, you should have rang me and I could have been that voice! If she is a local then fair play but not really keen.

Oh and the scenes behind the students look nothing like England, they would have landed at Manchester airport and driven on a motorway M60, then onto the M62 over the highest motorway in England and up to north Yorkshire over moorland, that's what its famous for. It would have been beautiful moorland countryside, very bleak and dark. Sorry, I am critising, but being a local girl I would have liked to see it a bit more realistic. I undestand it was filmed elsewhere and for the actors to have to travel over here may have been a bit much.

Other than that, great so far. I'll get on with playing!

Jandin x

HighlandMax
Manatee
Manatee
3,824 Posts

[Post New]by HighlandMax on Nov 25, 09 12:37 PM
Doesn't it stand to logic, that if you buy it in November, it will count as a November purchase ?......the collectors edition of course, but the regular edition that comes out in December, no.

picman050967
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,226 Posts

[Post New]by picman050967 on Nov 25, 09 12:52 PM
Jandin wrote:Just interupted my game to come on here and comment.

I love it! I love the way you can jump to the strategy guide in the middle of things if you are stuck. My only issue was the womans accent on the radio, being from near these parts, you should have rang me and I could have been that voice! If she is a local then fair play but not really keen.

Oh and the scenes behind the students look nothing like England, they would have landed at Manchester airport and driven on a motorway M60, then onto the M62 over the highest motorway in England and up to north Yorkshire over moorland, that's what its famous for. It would have been beautiful moorland countryside, very bleak and dark. Sorry, I am critising, but being a local girl I would have liked to see it a bit more realistic. I undestand it was filmed elsewhere and for the actors to have to travel over here may have been a bit much.

Other than that, great so far. I'll get on with playing!

Jandin x

It was filmed in August in Argentina as it was winter there...so you are right...but there is no snow in the UK in August and the trees would all be full of leaves.

And YES this is a Novemberfest qualifying game...all games are.
Paul

Edited on 11/25/2009 at 12:53:32 PM PST

engj030506
Flounder
Flounder
2,136 Posts

[Post New]by engj030506 on Nov 25, 09 1:11 PM
AARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH!! I am so desperate to play!! Started to D/L this at 6pm. Time now - 9.11 pm, only 88% D/Loaded so far. *Sigh*
I guess I will have to go twiddle my thumbs or something until it is done. You know what they say, a watched game never downloads!!

[Post New]by juttawalker on Nov 25, 09 1:13 PM
Hello everybody,wath a great game thanks BF!Jutta

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Nov 25, 09 1:14 PM
OK.......got back in town at 11am......saw all the buzz,,waited...and waited...its now ...4 pm...& i just started my download...I think i did pretty good,I have to see what everybody is talking about ...I hope its the bomb ....3 days w/ out internet...I deserve to splurge....right ? GOBBLE GOBBLE

Anniejo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,109 Posts

[Post New]by Anniejo on Nov 25, 09 1:17 PM
Brilliant, thank you BF

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Nov 25, 09 1:20 PM
I'm really enjoying this game so far and am very glad that I bought the Collector's Edition. If this next comment sounds like nitpicking, please understand that it's only because the game is so very good that I even mention this (my expectations of this game are much higher). I was a proofreader in the past and unfortunately there are some typos/misspelled words that I would love to have been able to correct before the game was released, and it would be very nice to see these things corrected if and when there is a new build/release.

Examples (these are off the top of my head):

Great Britain was misspelled as Great Britian (in one of the books)
distinction was misspelled as distiction (in one of the pamphlets)
mattresses was misspelled as matresses (in one of the pamphlets)
conveniently was also misspelled in one of the pamphlets (I don't remember exactly how it was misspelled now; I would have to go back and look)

And I am only into the game a very short ways, thus far.

Otherwise, this game has been terrific. The MCF games possess by far my favorite hidden object screens; I wish all developers could see to it that all of the items are so graphically clear while still making finding some of the items pretty challenging.

luvtoread
Manatee
Manatee
4,081 Posts

[Post New]by luvtoread on Nov 25, 09 1:25 PM
I didn't think twice about pressing the buy now button. I have no regrets about not waiting. For me it's one of those games that I just immediately loved. So far, no
glitches and I'm not totally curfumkled yet. I give this

Mjr9550
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by Mjr9550 on Nov 25, 09 1:30 PM
I am really not happy about the price even though I bought it. I have been a member for years and have paid my dues regularly. I don't understand why the price. I think that if I purchase a game for the higher price, I should receive the disk too! If I purchased it at another site, I would receive the disk AND the download for the same price. I do love BF and all the great games but I don't like the surprise change. I will, of course continue to purchase my games from BF. I just wanted to vent my disappointment.

Go to: