Diamond71
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

Difference in this game and dec. one

[Post New]by Diamond71 on Nov 25, 09 12:09 PM
Hope you guys dont think Im stupid for asking this after all the posts people have put on,but here goes.What is the difference between this game and the one of it coming out in Dec? I know it has a strag. guide with it,but does it have extra games plays in it that the other one doesnt? I dont mind paying the price but if the same is coming out in Dec. it would be stupid of me to buy now.Im not short on games to play since I bought 12 in Oct. and7 in Nov. For anyone who can tell me Thanks A Million.

AnnBy
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,634 Posts

Re:Difference in this game and dec. one

[Post New]by AnnBy on Nov 25, 09 12:13 PM
Yes, they are different, but not in game play. The CE has the strategy guide as you stated, but also concept art, wallpaper, bonus levels, achievements, extra video clips. Not sure what all as I haven't played yet.

bfgErie
1,538 Posts

[Post New]by bfgErie on Nov 25, 09 12:53 PM
Hi AnnBy,

Here is a list of everything the Collector's Edition does have that wont be included in the regular version of the game:

Additional gameplay, levels and puzzles. This bonus game play reveals secrets about the Mystery Case Files series, but is not directly related to the mystery of Dire Grove.
An integrated strategy guide to get you through any part of the game. This is optional and not intrusive, so if you love the challenge you will not even know it is there, but if you get stuck it is there if you need it.
A badges and achievements system to add more replay value. By playing the game, you will earn achievements for completing tasks like “Found all 50 morphing objects”, “Completed the game without using a hint” or “Found secret bonus level 1”, etc.
Behind the scenes media. This includes concept art, additional video footage and desktop wallpapers all based on Dire Grove.

We've also got a great Collector’s Edition Frequently Asked Questions thread that might help as well! Happy Gaming!

Edited on 12/14/2009 at 4:57:30 PM PST

AnnBy
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,634 Posts

[Post New]by AnnBy on Nov 25, 09 1:11 PM
Thanks Erie. Can't wait to dive into this one. Tonight is slow in coming.......more specifically....bedtime for the kids.

Diamond71
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by Diamond71 on Nov 25, 09 4:03 PM
Thanks bfgERIE so much.Off to buy it now.You moderators are great.

windrose53
Flounder
Flounder
2,385 Posts

[Post New]by windrose53 on Nov 25, 09 7:22 PM
I don't know if the mods will know the answer, or if Picman will pop in and answer..... but I was wondering if the system requirements for the 6.99 version will be the same as the requirements for the collector's edition.

The reason I ask is that neither my desktop, nor my laptop have a 2g cpu. One is 1.5g w/1g memory and the other is 1.8g w/1.5g memory.

If the 6.99 version has the same system requirements - it looks like I won't be buying this game at all.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,649 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Nov 26, 09 3:27 AM
I think that processor clock speed is the least important factor.
1 GB RAM, and a relatively recent graphics card should be fine. The game isn't all that large, so disk space shouldn't be a factor either.

frogspawn
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by frogspawn on Nov 26, 09 2:13 PM
I'll bet the regular version will have a demo though, so you can try it out to see how it plays.

bfgErie
1,538 Posts

[Post New]by bfgErie on Nov 26, 09 2:25 PM
Frogspawn is correct. The regular version will have a free demo to download and try out the game. If you don't meet the minimum requirements for the game, it might be good to wait until it's out to give it a try.

Ismene
Flounder
Flounder
2,092 Posts

[Post New]by Ismene on Nov 26, 09 3:11 PM
windrose53 wrote:The reason I ask is that neither my desktop, nor my laptop have a 2g cpu. One is 1.5g w/1g memory and the other is 1.8g w/1.5g memory.

If the 6.99 version has the same system requirements - it looks like I won't be buying this game at all.

Put it on the shopping list -- it sounds like you've got the same specs as my laptop, and I can run the CE . Some of the videos might be a little slow, and I took a couple breaks from the game to "clear" the system, but it runs.

windrose53
Flounder
Flounder
2,385 Posts

[Post New]by windrose53 on Nov 26, 09 5:55 PM
Thanks for the answers everyone. I guess I'll find out in December when the regular edition comes out.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,181 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Nov 27, 09 7:46 AM
This is what I see in the MCF Dire Grove Collector’s Edition:

The in-game walkthrough that you can access if you need it.

Eight screen shots that you can use for desktop wallpaper.

Twelve behind the scenes video clips. Eight are of the actors filming in Argentina and four are Banshee animations.

Sixteen concept art pictures that are sketches or unfinished pictures.

Your reward for completing all of the achievements in the game is a video of someone running around the BF office cubicles with an out of focus hand held video camera. It can be nauseating and irritating for some people. There is no dialogue in the video but it is accompanied by slap stick clown type music. Once you get this “award” you don’t have an option to turn it off.

The questions I have for someone at Big Fish are about the “additional game play, levels and puzzles”.

It looks like the game play extras include one secret area under the round rug in the room with the microwave in the grocery store. There is one puzzle to solve in the secret area to open the barrel top. You also get laundry detergent in the secret area that you use in the washing machine in the hotel’s basement. After you use the detergent you get one hidden object game scene at the washing machine. Is this one puzzle on the barrel top and the one hidden object game scene at the washing machine the only extra puzzle and hidden object game in the Collector’s Edition? Big Fish mod's posts reference to the extra puzzles game play and levels is plural. If there are puzzles and hidden object games other than the ones I have mentioned, where are they?

Also in the secret area I have listened to the phone message and looked at the map of the Ravenhearst grounds. Are these the “secrets” about the MCF series? Is there something else?

I don’t see any place to access “music” from Dire Grove that is mentioned in the moderator's post above. Where is that?

I have enjoyed playing the game and I like the style of the game play but I want to know if I have seen all of the extras that are in the Collector’s Edition. I don’t want to pay for something and wind up not being able to find it or have access to it. I hope someone at Big Fish will clarify the Collector’s Edition extras in more specific terms.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,181 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Nov 27, 09 8:14 AM
Then without all the trimmings, the reg version shouldn't have as high sys req right? My lap has 2 g RAM but my pc XP just 512 Ram. I bought the strategy guide for RTR but didn't find it half as useful as the walkthru on GZ. They have one up now for DG but I HOPE BF will have one so we don't have to go out hunting and switch offsite. I don't expect SGs to help with the puzzles, just was guidance where to go next.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,958 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Nov 27, 09 8:24 AM
ETA to say "oops! thought I was in the comments and review thread!" Moving post there.

Edited on 11/27/2009 at 8:27:24 AM PST

tuskel
Minnow
Minnow
248 Posts

[Post New]by tuskel on Nov 27, 09 8:54 AM
LizzieK wrote:
...Your reward for completing all of the achievements in the game is a video of someone running around the BF office cubicles with an out of focus hand held video camera. It can be nauseating and irritating for some people. There is no dialogue in the video but it is accompanied by slap stick clown type music. Once you get this “award” you don’t have an option to turn it off...

...It looks like the game play extras include one secret area under the round rug in the room with the microwave in the grocery store. There is one puzzle to solve in the secret area to open the barrel top. You also get laundry detergent in the secret area that you use in the washing machine in the hotel’s basement. After you use the detergent you get one hidden object game scene at the washing machine. Is this one puzzle on the barrel top and the one hidden object game scene at the washing machine the only extra puzzle and hidden object game in the Collector’s Edition? Big Fish mod's posts reference to the extra puzzles game play and levels is plural....

I don’t see any place to access “music” from Dire Grove that is mentioned in the moderator's post above. Where is that?

Well, there are the 2 things that lead you to the 2 HOG scenes for 2 Felixes, so I guess there are 3 HOG scenes, not just the one after washing the clothes.

As you , I have enjoyed the game, but I feel a bit ripped off.

I would gladly remove all the videos from the game (I do wonder how much money it saved - or didn't - that they didn't do it just with graphics and text), and the "behind the scenes video" with Benny Hill music? I at least thought that we would be shown around the studios, if not talked about it. Is it so secret that we can't have any decent extras? I am not that interested at looking someone flying for 16 hours to Argentina and playing in the snow... This whole CE doesn't look like it was thought through properly. And like, what, 12 concept art scenes? I would have preferred more of these to the videos.

Oh yeah, and I even hadn't noticed it about the music.

Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining just because I can, but because I love MCF and this "extra" hasn't really lived up to my expectiations to how good the games usually are. Please, please, please do something decent next time with my extra money. Pretty please?

kerli,
sincerely

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,649 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Nov 27, 09 9:13 AM
I'm going to add me to this list too. I could have done without the CE and had I bought the standard version I'd have only played it once. This is a great disappointment after RTR.

xssa
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by xssa on Nov 27, 09 2:27 PM
i love the collector's edition but-
i get a game credit every month and have for over ayear and paid twenty bucks for- a room with one puzzle and a map. the MCF website usually has better hints. plus, i thought it was a map to this puzzle and had no idea where the lighthouse was. great that it's a hint, but it's not worth thirteen extra bucks when it will probably be one the MCF website for free soon.

polexia
Herring
Herring
388 Posts

[Post New]by polexia on Nov 27, 09 3:35 PM
I am not interested in seeing sketches of the game in progress, nor screenshots (I can take my own), nor badges (I find them boring and don't even pay attention to them unless they unlock something like an extra level. A badge just for a badge's sake makes me think of that guy in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre i.e. "We don't need no stinking badges!"). The only thing I want is more levels, more gameplay. And I don't mean one hidden object scene or some little easter egg (I find the Nancy Drew games have easter eggs -literally- that you can find but once you have the egg in your inventory you don't use it so what good is it?).

I'm waiting for the el cheapo version because the "extras" don't do anything for me. The behind the scenes footage will show up YouTube anyway.

Edited on 11/27/2009 at 3:36:32 PM PST

mdstarner
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by mdstarner on Dec 14, 09 3:46 PM
To clarify - are there morphing objects in the regular game? I'm not finding any.

mdstarner
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by mdstarner on Dec 14, 09 4:55 PM
I played Echoes of the Past while I was waiting for the regular edition of this to come out....much better!! I'm really disappointed in this MCF game, repetitive scenes and so far only two rather easy puzzles.

Go to: