MarpleLover
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by MarpleLover on Dec 6, 10 6:29 AM
Yes, I got high-speed Internet in mid-Sept this year. The old dial-up connection was torture for downloading games. Especially, is you got disconnected.

54 Mbps ftw.

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by CosmicWriter on Dec 6, 10 8:07 AM
I have played it now 3 times and every time I skip more, its a nice game technically advanced. but in my eyes not a game I want to play again, tested myself and all the others mcf games I do like to play again.

sunnny
Manatee
Manatee
3,945 Posts

[Post New]by sunnny on Dec 6, 10 10:04 AM
I cannot say pro or con about this game. I just cannot get into it.
I also bought the game on the strength of MCF reputation,
but it does'n grab me the way the others did.
I will keep on trying.

[Post New]by dragon_frosty on Dec 6, 10 3:15 PM
nascnmbr3 wrote:
Mr_Russ wrote:
I put in my dates 1806,1808,1812,1747 and click the lever and nothing!!!.
Before you give up in disgust, a previous poster noticed that 1812 was in the grid twice. See if that helps.

I have looked for it being in there twice, My neighbors have looked, my kids have looked, my wife has looked its not in there !!!!!!

BFG owes me a functioning game or a refund !!!

[Post New]by dragon_frosty on Dec 6, 10 3:18 PM
Mr_Russ wrote:
I put in my dates 1806,1808,1812,1747 and click the lever and nothing!!!.
Before you give up in disgust, a previous poster noticed that 1812 was in the grid twice. See if that helps.

Have you checked the fax from the librarian? While 1806, 1808, 1812 are constant, the birth year is not.

[Post New]by oldestlady on Dec 6, 10 5:24 PM
Love the game, however have come across a problem. Maybe someone can help me. I have completed all up to the making of the Gumbo. Have taken it to Cooter, I think thats his name, but he won't take it consequently I can't go any further. I've checked the walkthrough and pretty sure I have completed all parts. Can someone give me a tip? Thanks....
[removed by moderator]

Edited on 12/09/2010 at 12:06:48 PM PST

[Post New]by llilly on Dec 6, 10 5:35 PM
I think we should be able to purchase this with our game club credits. Money is money. I paid for the credits -- why can't I use two to get a game I want that is $13.99 instead of paying another $13.99?

retroFish
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by retroFish on Dec 7, 10 1:10 AM

Edited on 05/08/2013 at 3:27:24 PM PST

jjj13
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by jjj13 on Dec 7, 10 3:40 AM
Very disappointed in this game. Seemed to veer between leading you like a child as to what to do next and then leaving you at the mercy of a walkthrough. Didn't like all the talking. Didn't even bother finishing the bonus content as found I was thoroughly bored by time I got to it.

Have loved all the other MCF's but this was the worst in my opinion.

oldbag60
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by oldbag60 on Dec 7, 10 4:17 AM
Well I've finished the game and the extras. I was very disappointed with the game. Too much leading, too much talking, the sounds were good but much the same as the other MCFs, and the music nearly drove me to suicide. It's the only mcf I haven't bothered to replay it's soooo boring. Sorry BFG I know some folk will be happy with it and you can't please everyone.

[Post New]by franciebrady on Dec 7, 10 6:09 AM
Like everyone else who is a fan of hog games, i couldn't wait to get hold of the next mcf offering and to a point I'm disapointed.The graphics are of course stunning, by and large the hog scenes not too junkpile, the music and sound effects are spot on, so well done mcf for those elements. However, I didn't actually like this game, I found that the dialoge sequences with the character actors far too long, I also think that having the player run around collecting items without any purpose to the game play is just a lazy way of filling in game time and without the bonus game 'last rites' (collectors edition) it would have made for an overall poor game. MCF have come up with some stunners in the past, I love Madame Fate for it continuous good fun playability, and of course RTR is in a class of it's own, however I think that this is where MCF peaked, Dire Grove while a good game was'nt in the same league as RTR and for me the 13th skull does'nt even come close, So MCF watch your rivals Salem Witch Trials and Redemption Cementry are two games that give 13th Skull a run for its money anyday.

TDG_
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
6 Posts

[Post New]by TDG_ on Dec 7, 10 9:31 AM
I don't normally write on Forums but reading all the negative cooments, I had to say that I loved it!

I like that it reminded you what you were supposed to be doing as I work, etc & would start playing again & forget where I'm up to. (AKA "leading"). Does the 'hard' version do this?

I like the videos & 'talking to characters'. To me, it gives more depth & story, like being immersed in a movie, rather than just looking for the elusive item in a HOG. My kids ended up joining in just to hear the story & we were all squished around the PC laughing at Cooter & Charlotte. Good stuff!

My only complaint is that once you complete the bonus 'last rites' it starts you at the beginning with the bonus section locked again....I want to change my wallpaper!!

CazGamer
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by CazGamer on Dec 7, 10 1:32 PM
While I enjoyed playing this game, there were things that drove me batty. I was ready to strangle the creep who kept yelling toward the end "Hurry up Detective" etc, etc. A few of those would have been plenty.
The environmental sound effects were great. The graphics were wonderful, as usual. The puzzles, while sometimes difficult, were solvable. The hints were truly helpful. The music was specific to the locale of the plot and didn't bother me. The cut scenes were well acted and the voices were well characterized.
Overall, it is a playable game. I don't think I'll be repeating it soon, but it was worth my money. Thanks.

Oaktown1
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by Oaktown1 on Dec 7, 10 3:29 PM
franciebrady wrote:Like everyone else who is a fan of hog games, i couldn't wait to get hold of the next mcf offering and to a point I'm disapointed.The graphics are of course stunning, by and large the hog scenes not too junkpile, the music and sound effects are spot on, so well done mcf for those elements. However, I didn't actually like this game, I found that the dialoge sequences with the character actors far too long, I also think that having the player run around collecting items without any purpose to the game play is just a lazy way of filling in game time and without the bonus game 'last rites' (collectors edition) it would have made for an overall poor game. MCF have come up with some stunners in the past, I love Madame Fate for it continuous good fun playability, and of course RTR is in a class of it's own, however I think that this is where MCF peaked, Dire Grove while a good game was'nt in the same league as RTR and for me the 13th skull does'nt even come close, So MCF watch your rivals Salem Witch Trials and Redemption Cementry are two games that give 13th Skull a run for its money anyday.

I completely agree with this review ... I didn't utterly despise this game, but it was nowhere near as good as RTR or Dire Grove. Not even close.
The puzzles were far too simple, and I don't like being told where to go and what to do next. The best part of RTR and DG was "walking around" and trying to figure out what to do/where to go. Don't help me!!! The glitches were unfortunate as well (I had to download the newer version in order to pick up goblets). Never did figure out how to get more than 2 "gold tickets", so I guess that was positive. Otherwise, very disappointed.

[Post New]by Benjaga on Dec 7, 10 5:37 PM
Loved the game. The characters were funny and interesting. The story was great with little twists. You did not have to do tasks in a specific order - yeah!
Graphics and movie inserts very good. Was definitely worth the collector's price. That editions extra at the end is worth paying extra. Loved it.

[Post New]by Madame_Fate on Dec 7, 10 8:04 PM
Well, I just have to say that playing 13th Skull has made me realize how extraordinary Return to Ravenhearst really is. Up until now I have said that Madame Fate is my favorite game, but in replaying RTR for the umpteenth time I saw it in a new light. Everything that 13th Skull isn't RTR is. RTR was truly groundbreaking and took gaming to a whole new level. Huntsville was the first game to do this, of course, by introducing the Hidden Object genre. Where would BFG be today if there were no HOGs? But then BFG gave us Return to Ravenhearst, and let us explore, discover, and think. And we still got lots of really awesome hidden object scenes, an amazing soundtrack, beautiful graphics and fabulous story that built upon the original Ravenhearst and Madame Fate! RTR has it all, including one final important thing: replayability. That's what makes me the saddest about 13th Skull. I played it once, and because of the structure of the gameplay, I have no desire to ever play it again. So thank you, BFG, for giving us a game as fantastic as Return to Ravenhearst; I hope we get to visit the "House that Love Built" one more time.

Edited on 12/07/2010 at 8:06:16 PM PST

[Post New]by grandma_3times on Dec 7, 10 9:14 PM
Probably one of the best games yet! A lot for the money, finally a game I had not trouble with. I recommend it to everyone!

[Post New]by marciajacobs on Dec 7, 10 9:18 PM
I am not real happy with this game, glad I bought it at a discount. Loved the graphics, laughed at and enjoyed the live interviews (very clever), liked the story line but it just wasn't a Mystery Case File game - too much hand holding - I felt like there should have been a button for those of us +50 and those age 9 and under. I got very sick of "Now go talk to..." or "You should go back to the ..." boring. It lacked the logic and puzzle solving necessary to get you around the game on your own. I guess I would say it was just disjointed.

The puzzles lacked the usual logic and memory requirements found in older versions of Mystery Case File games, these were more tedious mechanical stuff than a thought process.

The Hidden Object games were much too obvious and so much junk put in to try and distract you, when 98% of the objects were in plain view. Not a great challenge, overall a definate downgrade from the last game. Come on guys we all know you can do much better than this. Don't let us down on the next game, did you out-source this one??

[Post New]by chipchase on Dec 8, 10 3:59 AM
I like everyone else was so eager too play this game and couldnt wait for its release, I didnt even try demo just bought it straight away. What a dissapointment!!! it is so BORING and DULL and I hate all the dialogue with the characters. Give me Return to Ravensheart or Dire Grove any time. Save your Pennies for something worth buying.

colieleigh
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

Great Game!

[Post New]by colieleigh on Dec 8, 10 9:38 AM
I am such a fan of the MCF games, and this one did not disappoint. I was so excited to see a new one out since Dire Grove and this one was great. Loved the interaction with real actors, loved the story line and location in the swamps of Louisiana. Great job!

Go to: