Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Rite of Passage: Heart of the Storm Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Jan 16, 16 12:38 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 01/16/2016 at 8:54:38 AM PST

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Rite of Passage: Heart of the Storm Collector's Edition her

[Post New]by 9otters on Jan 16, 16 1:21 AM
Kind of "huh" about this one. The past few Mad Head games seem to me to have been more about having the player admire the numerous cut-scenes, animations, etc., than getting in there and PLAYING.

Another feature that I have been far from enthusiastic about is the endless dialogue that has to be endured before we get to actually be involved in the game. I noticed an option in the Custom setting whereby we have a choice to turn off the "interactive dialogue" so, apparently, I'm not the only one who has had the same issue.

As for CE worthy content? I find it to be a bit slim. 44 collectible "storm" icons to be found. Not hard to find them, but we can go back and collect any we miss in the extras. We also get to replay the HOPs which contain morphing objects.

The game page mentions "tons of clever puzzles", but there is NO opportunity to replay them in the extras. Not surprised, because that is normal for this Dev, too. Also, I didn't find the ones in the demo to be extra "clever". Maybe they improve as we progress? Cannot say. There is also a "Gallery" extra.

Besides the bonus game, strategy guide, and achievements, that seems to be it. No alternate game to play if you want to opt out of the HOPs, but that is the norm for this Dev too.

I felt I was allowed to be a bit more involved with this game, and the demo ended on quite the cliffhanger. The graphics were fabulous. Good music and adequate voiceovers. Still, I don't feel like I just HAVE to play it.

If this weekend's sale had been better for Game Cub members, I would probably have gotten it. There might be a good story here, but I think I'll be saving the extra cash and just wait for the SE.

Had no tech issues, playing on a PC, Windows 7, Home premium, 64 bit. Happy gaming for those who choose to play. Hope YOU find some fun today.

Edited on 01/16/2016 at 1:42:34 AM PST

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Rite of Passage: Heart of the Storm Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by shelterhill on Jan 16, 16 1:46 AM
I agree with everything you mentioned, I played the beta and wasn't blown out of my chair, but I liked it anyway.
With a nice sale I will take the CE, and there is bound to be one soon.
My pet pieve is that there is too much technical stuff in it. I'm not good at those, especially in English games, give me some straight forward gameplay and that's enough for me.
But all in all, better than the last one!!

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Rite of Passage: Heart of the Storm Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by belamba on Jan 16, 16 4:07 AM
Glad you could play it...
I love Mad head games, but can't play it on Mac El Capitan as impossible to reach hint, skip etc as all on screen graphics off on one corner.

Reading your reviews made me even more frustrated that I can't try it out.

If the devs read the forum, hope they'll give both Windows and Mac players equal opportunity to try the game. In the past I've always bought MH CEs, as found them quality.

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Jan 16, 16 7:49 AM
I really love this game!! I bought it right away as soon as the demo was done!
It's got super graphics. Love the colors, love the minis and puzzles. I even like the story line. It sure kept my attention. Try it you might really enjoy it! I really liked the ho's. It's got a different feel than other games.
thank you to the developers and big fish games!

bfgPanthalassa
Flounder
Flounder
2,450 Posts

[Post New]by bfgPanthalassa on Jan 16, 16 8:54 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Rite of Passage: Heart of the Storm Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Rite of Passage: Heart of the Storm Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgPanthalassa

MarkAlan
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

[Post New]by MarkAlan on Jan 16, 16 10:59 AM

Graphics, sounds and music have been used in previous games. Ridiculous story. Missing voice-overs. No replay for mini-games and puzzles. Yet another buggy Bonus chapter making it impossible to finish the game. What has happened to Mad Head Games?

[Post New]by miss_marigold11 on Jan 16, 16 5:38 PM
I keep on playing and playing and have yet to figure out what I have become, why I am there and what I should do to find out the answers to these questions. Absurd story line...who is the guy trying to kill me and for goodness sake...why. Graphics are clear and only slightly grey which figures with a continual thunder storm. I'm sorry to say I actually spent money on this silly game....next time I see a MadHead game I'll know better and give it a much longer trial period..

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jan 16, 16 7:19 PM
Hi all! Well, here I am, getting my review in late in the day again. Too much to do, too little time. As always, I review on the game play and not the story, but this one is a really good and different story. I have been waiting for this game to come out since I beta tested it back in October. This makes #5 in this series...yep, got them all. The game play is excellent, no problems at all and the scenes fit my large screen completely. I really liked the graphics, which include very nice animation and even appropriate facial movements, depending on what is happening and being said at the time. Colors are a little washed out while you are in the storm, but I think that gives more credibility to the storm. Once you are inside, they are very clear and true. Voice overs are excellent and fit the character very well. Especially like the sound FX. I'm not hot on thunder and lightning storms, but these sound FX are done very well and are very realistic.

HOPs are a combination of interactive HOPs, lists, find this number of that, etc., and are nicely done. They are very clean and clear and items are not difficult to find, but you do have to use your brain on a couple of them. They are different and fun. There is also a morphing item in each HOP, so be on the lookout, as it morphs fairly quickly. Puzzles were interesting and somewhat different as well. They are not terribly challenging, but they are nicely done and as I said, somewhat different. Hint system is very helpful, but I did not see a transport feature in this game. The jump map is very helpful as well, and areas of interest are clearly marked. This is a time saver, as you do a lot of back-tracking in this game. Didn't even look at the SG, since it doesn't have much and didn't list collectibles.

The only collectibles I found so far are a cloud with a lightning bolt running through it. These are quite large and easy to see. They can be in solid form or an outline, so watch for them.

As I said, I have been waiting for this one to come out. The story is different enough and the game is challenging enough to keep me interested and wanting more. I have the need to play this one out and see what happens. I think this one will appeal to all levels of players. I don't give 5 stars easily, a game has to be exceptional to get them from me, but this one came close. Wish we could do quarter marks on reviews, as I would give this one a 4.75. Since I can't, I'll give it 5 stars, even though it's just a bit lower. Of course I'm going to add this to my collection. It is well worth the price of a CE.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

kgustavson
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

[Post New]by kgustavson on Jan 16, 16 10:45 PM
Well, after purchasing and playing the full game, getting to the bonus only to find out I couldn't finish it, I'm throwing in the towel with Mad Head. I was on the fence about this one in the first place as I wasn't completely excited after the demo. This game played more like Eipix, ERS, and Mad Head had a child that developed this one.

Scene collectibles are right out, and there are WAY too many uninteresting HOS (mildly interactive; wishing there was some alternative to get around them). One HOS was certainly new and rather fun (once I figured out what to do) but that was about it. I found myself more often than not shouting "not another HOS!!" all too often. This is not usual Mad Head territory.

Story was beyond "whaaaaat?" What country are we in? I thought I crash-landed on an island in the western hemisphere as that's what all of the architecture was telling me. It's as if a completely different director took over after the demo. Mini-games were meh. Actually, one was so completely annoying and uncontrollable to me that I skipped it.

I will say that graphics, voice-overs and what-not are all very good.

Why did I buy it? It's pouring rain here. There was a kind of ok sale. Didn't feel like vacuuming and dusting. And the demo ending kinda sucked me in. Mad Head, please bring back your A-team.

charlene_lane
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by charlene_lane on Jan 17, 16 4:40 PM
Perfectly said kgustavson. You hit the nail on the head with this review. I can't progress with this game either until it gets a patch. I will not be buying any future games from this developer until I know that all problems have been sorted out. Waste of our hard earned money and precious time.

Edited on 01/17/2016 at 4:40:45 PM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 25, 16 2:18 AM
This was one of the best games, with the most beautiful graphics, animation, and great gameplay, I have played in a long time. Also loved those newly added things.

I have finished the game successfully and have not had problems with the key in the bonus chapter.

Thank you, Mad Head Games, for a very enjoyable game.

plat1098
Minnow
Minnow
208 Posts

[Post New]by plat1098 on Jan 30, 16 4:48 PM
I like it. Good clear graphics and the audio isn't overpowering. One thing I really like is the odd little quirk here and there, a little something unexpected and surprising. I've seen this trait in previous Mad Head games; I like the understated intelligence in the crafting of this game, no dull moments for me.

Good stuff.

Go to: