Boggle...real opponents?

[Post New]by Guppy1 on May 10, 08 11:37 AM
Anyone know if your opponents in Boggle are real or computer generated in the match play? Just seems odd that no one ever quits a game.

Re:Boggle...real opponents?

[Post New]by specialcritters on Aug 17, 08 6:54 AM
A previous version is my very first PC game.

rubylil
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by rubylil on Sep 12, 08 1:13 AM
I've all ways wondered if the opponents are reall or computer generated, I play as laine from tonbridge uk, almost every day, keeps the brain active. Has anyone played opposite me? Would love to know!!!

nemesis45679
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by nemesis45679 on Nov 3, 08 3:32 PM
I've always wondered this too. I was convinced they were computer generated until one day when my internet connection was out, and I tried to play in match mode and the game wouldn't let me because it said without an internet connection it couldn't connect to an opponent. But, then, that could just be programming to make it seem real. I'm still kind of leaning towards computer generated because you never, ever have to wait for an opponent, and I find it hard to believe that timing would always be that perfect.

rthomas
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by rthomas on Nov 29, 08 5:42 PM
I play every day faithfully and my mom who lives in another state also plays nearly every day and one day she called me and asked if I was playing Boggle at that time, and I was. She told me she just played against me. I rarely pay attention to the names, only the score that I'm up against. I play as rainmom from Arlington Wa. Has anyone ever noticed me?

[Post New]by newnumber2 on May 31, 09 11:54 PM
I love the game, but I have wondered the very same thing...I play as new number 2 (a reference to The Prisoner). I play on three different computers, but the program does not seem to remember me on different computers--3 different ratings...hmmm

Has anyone played against me out there?

rubylil
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by rubylil on Jun 15, 09 1:28 PM
I play everyday. Haven't seen you yet new number 2. but will look out for you. good luck and happy boggling.

[Post New]by Guppy1 on Jun 18, 09 8:39 AM
I've played against you laine from tonbridge uk. I think you regularly whip me...but I may have snuck out a win or two. I play as Guppy from Orlando. Anyone else play against me? I'm usually in the 1900 range and do get up into the 2000 range occasionally, but not for long There are some great players in there!!!!!

I do think you are playing against real people, but maybe not in real time? Not sure, but does seem like there is some trick to the matching up process that's not real evident.

[Post New]by SquirtsPop on Jul 19, 09 9:41 PM
I am glad to hear that there are real opponents out there. The way the words of my opponents come up in certain orders convinced me that the opponents are real. Anyone play against me as Squirts Dad or Squirts Pop (depending on computer) from GA. I am impressed by the skill of my opponents. I have been up to 2300, but only briefly. I usually hang out in the 2100-2200 range.

[Post New]by KATFEVER1 on Aug 8, 09 8:08 PM
I only play on weekends. My handle is Kat Fever. The only thing I wonder is my percentage never changes, even though I win more than 50% of the time. Any one play me?

[Post New]by trapt1 on Aug 19, 09 1:23 PM
Guppy1 wrote:I've played against you laine from tonbridge uk. I think you regularly whip me...but I may have snuck out a win or two. I play as Guppy from Orlando. Anyone else play against me? I'm usually in the 1900 range and do get up into the 2000 range occasionally, but not for long There are some great players in there!!!!!

I do think you are playing against real people, but maybe not in real time? Not sure, but does seem like there is some trick to the matching up process that's not real evident.

Something like that--have you ever quit a game? The score for the other "person" is immediately there for the full 3 minutes. And some of the names are the same in different levels, and if you've ever noticed the score for another person when you play them in back to back games doesn't reflect the previous game(s) usually. It's mostly fake.

[Post New]by Guppy1 on Oct 22, 09 3:19 PM
Trapt1...I've also noticed the back-to-back opponents scores are way different. That's why I think you're not playing real time. The past few days the games have been pretty screwy. Matching low 1800's against high 1900's. I've not seen that before.

[Post New]by trapt1 on Nov 3, 09 3:16 AM
I've been playing boggle on pogo now and you can really tell the difference between that this fake crap. I just played for the first time on this site in the middle of the night, and the others ratings were WAY lower than mine, yet most butchered me with words that only a professional player would know. (I usually win on pogo while playing with up to 16 others at a time). I'm done with this fake crap. I can play a computer for free--or pogo for free and chat.

[Post New]by travelyn on Nov 22, 09 11:54 PM
Oh, say it ain't so! I always suspected. I so wanted to believe! Look for me -- Fancypants from Buttsville, or LB from Mars. Tell me you've played me! Or big fish game-makers, do something better for your loyal bogglers. I've been a customer for two years now, and Boggle was one of my first games. It's still one of my faves.

Purple_One
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by Purple_One on Feb 6, 10 8:08 PM
HI, I HOPE SOMEONE WILL READ THIS. I MIGHT POST IT ANOTHER FORUM FOR GOOD LUCK. MAYBE I'LL GET SOME ANSWERS FROM SOMEONE THAT CAN HELP.
I PLAY BOGGLE EVERY DAY WHEN I BOOT UP AND BEFORE I SHUT DOWN AND I'VE HAD THE GAME ABOUT 2 YEARS NOW. I PLAY UNDER SEVERAL DIFFERENT NAMES BECAUSE, ONCE I GET TO OVER 2000 PT, I HATE TO LOSE IT, LOL.
I HAVE HAD TOO MANY LOSSES LATELY AND WHEN THEY GIVE ME AN OPPONENT WHO HAS OVER 8,000 PT, I JUST QUIT THE GAME AND, OF COURSE, LOSE 15 PT FOR DOING THAT. I FIGURE I WOULDN'T HAVE A CHANCE IN THAT MATCH AND IT WOULDN'T BE FUN, JUST NERVE-WRACKING TO TRY TO FIND WORDS QUICKER. I ONLY GOT THAT PERSON ONCE OR ANYONE WITH THAT HIGH OF A SCORE. IT WAS OKAY AFTER THAT; BUT, NOW I HAVE BEEN INTO GETTING SOMEONE WHO IS AT LEAST 100 PT HIGHER THAN MINE AND I GOT TIRED OF BEING WIPED OUT, SO I JUST CLICK ON 'DONE' WHEN I CAN'T FIND ANOTHER WORD (SO MANY OF THEM AREN'T EVEN WORDS, I DON'T KNOW WHERE THEY GET THEIR DICTIONARY, LOL). I LOSE 15 PT EVERY TIME I DO THAT. I STARTED TO WATCH MORE CLOSELY AND, WHEN I GOT SOMEONE THAT FAR AHEAD OF ME, I TYPED ONE WORD AND HIT 'DONE', 3 SECONDS WERE USED AND THE OTHER PERSON (NAMED ROBERT, I DON'T REMEMBER FROM WHERE) ALREADY HAD 53 WORDS RACKED UP!!!! I PLAYED ANOTHER OPPONENT WHO WAS CLOSER TO MY SCORE AFTER THAT AND IT WAS A GOOD MATCH....BUT, THE NEXT ONE, A DIFFERENT PERSON, WAS HIGH AND I DIDN'T TYPE ANY WORDS, I JUST HIT 'DONE' AND HE HAD ABOUT 63 PT IN 7 SECONDS (I DECIDED TO WATCH IT). THAT IS TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO TYPE THAT MANY WORDS IN THAT LENGTH OF TIME. I WENT TO THE CUSTOMER CHAT AND THEY WERE UNABLE TO KNOW WHAT CAUSED IT BUT SHE SENT A REPORT TO THEIR GAME MANAGERS TO INVESTIGATE BECAUSE SHE SAID BOGGLE SERVERS WERE NOT AVAILABLE TO HER, ONLY THE GAME DEVELOPER. SO SHE SAID IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO UNINSTALL AND REINSTALL THE GAME. THIS WAS ABOUT 4 DAYS AGO. OK, ALL WAS WELL AND GOOD FOR A FEW DAYS AND TODAY I HAD IT HAPPEN AGAIN, A PERSON NAMED ELLE FROM PHILLY HAD A HIGH SCORE AND I DIDN'T TYPE I JUST CLICKED ON 'DONE'...SHE HAD 53 PT IN 2 SECONDS. (I'M SORRY, I FORGOT TO UNBOLD AND I CAN'T GET BACK TO WHERE I WAS TO GET IT OFF) LOL. DO YOU KNOW OF ANYONE WHO CAN TYPE THAT FAST? WHEN I WORKED, I GOT UP TO 120 WPM BECAUSE MY JOB WAS AS A TYPIST BEFORE I BECAME AN EDITOR/WRITER, SO I KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT (I THINK!). SHE WOULD HAVE BEEN ABLE TO TYPE 4,770 WPM, LOL, NOOOO WAY!! IT IS SATURDAY, I THINK THIS IS TOO LONG. GOD BLESS, MORE

Purple_One
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by Purple_One on Feb 6, 10 8:28 PM
HI AGAIN, SORRY, I GUESS I RAN OUT OF SPACE. I'M SORRY I'M SO WORDY. TO CONTINUE WITH MY LAST REPLY.

IT SEEMS TO ME THAT IT WOULD HAVE TO BE COMPUTER GENERATED TO FILL UP THAT FAST IN 2 SECONDS. I WAS IN AWE AND DIDN'T CLICK TO SEE THE RESULTS. . . THEY NEVER TELL YOU THE OPPONENT'S SCORE, SO WHY BOTHER THEN WHEN IT IS WEIRD? I GUESS I SHOULD HAVE. I HAVE PLAYED AGAINST THE COMPUTER AND IT IS STRANGE HOW I ALWAYS WIN NO MATTER WHAT LEVEL OF DIFFICULTY I PLAYED; IT WAS LIKE IT WAS WAITING FOR ME TO FINISH AND IT PUT LESS ON THE COMPUTER'S SIDE. I NEVER LOST TO THE COMPUTER. HAS ANYONE TRIED THAT WAY TO PLAY? JUST CURIOUS IF THE COMPUTER BEAT THEM; MAYBE THEY JUST DO THAT SO YOU WILL FEEL GOOD THAT YOU ALWAYS WIN. IT GOT SORT OF BORING SO I ONLY PLAYED AGAINST THE COMPUTER A SHORT TIME.

I'M WAITING TO HEAR FROM BIGFISH ON MY EMAIL....PROBABLY ON MONDAY. I DON'T WANT TO KEEP UNINSTALLING/REINSTALLING THE GAME. HAS ANYONE RUN INTO THIS PROBLEM? I VOTE FOR COMPUTER GENERATED EVEN THO I PLAYED PEOPLE FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD. SOME PEOPLE FROM FOREIGN COUNTRIES COME UP WITH A LOT MORE WEIRD WORDS AND BEAT ME SOMETIMES. I'VE ALSO NOTICED THAT AT TIMES I WILL BE GETTING WORDS TYPED AND THE OTHER PERSON WAITS A WHILE AND THEN, ALL OF A SUDDEN, STARTS RACKING UP THE WORDS. NO SENSE TO THE WAY IT WORKS. WELL, I HOPE TO HEAR FROM SOMEONE.

I FORGOT TO CHECK THE FORUM SINCE I JOINED. I HAVE SHORT-TERM MEMORY PROBLEMS WITH FIBROMYALGIA AND LIKE TO PLAY THE GAME TO KEEP MY MEMORY WORKING, LOL. GOD BLESS, LOVE YOU BOGGLERS.

GaPeach1981
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,588 Posts

[Post New]by GaPeach1981 on May 31, 10 2:58 PM
You know, Im wondering if maybe like someone else said, the opponents are real but its not in real time. Im thinking it may be this way bec if someone quits then the computer opponent takes over to prevent the game from being lost for the other player. This would explain the excessively fast typing and the opponents coming up with so many words in so little time especially at the end of a round when previously they had a very low score. Just my two cents!

Purple_One
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by Purple_One on Jun 1, 10 1:33 AM
Hi GaPeach, It has been awhile since i wrote on this subject, but i have been playing boggle for a short time every day just about...at least when i am not at a BF games sale.

i had another weird experience with Boggle a couple of weeks ago...get this and, if you can, try it and see if it does the same to you. ok? I had to shut down for the night and accidentally clicked on 'play again'...as soon as i saw what i did, the opponent had come up but not typed any words yet, so i hurried up and clicked on 'done' without typing any words at all...here is the weird part...neither one of us had typed one word, but, when i clicked on done, i saw words being put on my opponent's side so fast, it was full before i blinked and it kept going, i think he got around 63 words as a score. i'm sure he was flabberghasted, too. there is something mighty 'fishy' about that game. so i just don't take the game seriously and don't even look at their side anymore and just do the words i can. sometimes i get the same opponent 5 or 6 times in a row and didn't keep track of their incoming scores, i should have. i didn't hit 'done' on that person, i played the game every time and we went back and forth winning/losing and it was more fun. i was playing at about 3 a.m. and i guess there weren't may players at that time. if anyone ever figures out how they work that game, i'd sure love to know. can someone try doing that just for the heck of it to see if does that to them? start the game, get an opponent and don't type anything in, just click on the 'done' button and see what happens on their side. that was soooooo weird to see the person's words appear faster the speed of light or a speeding bullet, i wonder if it was superman??? God bless come back with info please. ty

GaPeach1981
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,588 Posts

[Post New]by GaPeach1981 on Jun 1, 10 10:21 PM
Hi purple_one,

I too have had that same experience you spoke of and was quite dumfounded. Im still thinking its just the computer takes over to eliminate the problem of a player quitting so the other player isnt just left stranded. So maybe when you pressed "done" it just tallied up the score that the computer would have given had you completed the game and perhaps it just kept playing the player on the other end. Again, this is the only plausible explanation that my feeble little brain could conjure so perhaps there is someone else in the pond who has a better grasp of this weird game concept! Its still one of my favorite games simply because I love the challenge. Let me know what you think!!

Thanks!

Peach

Go to: