Please post your REVIEWS for Fire here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Jan 20, 16 12:37 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 01/20/2016 at 8:39:45 AM PST

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Fire here.

[Post New]by 9otters on Jan 20, 16 1:51 AM
OK. Am I on another planet...or in heaven? 2015 ended on such a dismal note as far as interesting, use-your-brain games are concerned, I can hardly believe that I have found TWO hum-dingers in one week.

This is the SECOND one. Somebody give me a chill-pill, or I might just explode with joy! ANYONE who enjoyed the last SE might think they're in a "parallel" universe.

First, I'm gonna say this...if you don't enjoy figuring out EVERY SINGLE THING...and I MEAN EVERY SINGLE THING...you will probably not think this game is a winner. I, on the other hand, spent 45 minutes playing this game and didn't even bother to finish the demo. HAD to have it.

We are cavemen. We have NO speech. Our guy has been thrown out (literally) of the village for letting the ONLY fire die out. We are on a quest for fire. Gotta be a "certain age" to understand THAT reference...maybe.

There are no words for any of the game settings. Again, NO SPEECH. To start, I suggest you click on the gears on the introductory page. This is where you'll adjust your settings. They are primitive. Sliding various animals across bones will adjust sound effects, music volume etc. There is one that adjusts how easily the cursor moves around...and you're gonna want to use it. That thing was as slippery as if it was sliding around on mammoth spit...or worse.

Go back to the main page, click on the arrow...and away we go! You'll watch a little story about how we get kicked out, and then the game is on.

Your cursor will turn orange when it crosses something you can interact with. If you need a clue for where you can do something, press the space bar, and little faces will pop up. These are your areas of interest.

When you interact with these areas, once in a while a golden coin, or "blonga", will appear. What for? Don't know. They're there. I picked them up. There is a banner that lets you know how many you've got. Cannot wait to find out why.

If you want to get back to the main menu, repeat a scene, or go to the map, use the mouse roller, and a banner will slide down with those choices.

If you do not like running back and forth and back and forth to see what has happened in a previous scene, from something you did in another scene...I don't think this is the game for you.

....to be continued..

Edited on 01/23/2016 at 1:14:35 PM PST

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

[Post New]by 9otters on Jan 20, 16 2:03 AM
If you cannot appreciate a cartoony, whimsical art style...it may not be for you.

IF, however, you get a thrill of discovery and immense satisfaction from doing-it-on-your-own...you'll be up and dancing.

This, my friends, is just as good as it gets for anyone who thinks ALL of the above sounds like a fun time. An off-the-wall, quirky sense of humor will also be a plus.

Make no mistake. It is DIFFICULT. Well, for me, anyway. Probably for many of us. BUT...the rewards are well worth the effort...in my opinion.

Happy never-say-die gaming! Hope YOU find some fun today!

Lawdy, what would my review be without an edit? Forgot to say that the cursor will turn blue, with a little eyeball at the base, when you need to look at something.

Forgot something else...don't know if it is necessary but you never know. We move our guy around by using the big, white, double arrows in the lower right, and lower left, of the screen...AND by pointing our cursor at anything we want him to pick up, or interact with.

Also...played on a PC, Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit. Graphics were CRISP and CLEAR, no lagging or black screens...just fantastic.

Have been able to play more and found out that this SE has ACHIEVEMENTS!

Edited on 01/21/2016 at 1:10:00 PM PST

[Post New]by miss_marigold11 on Jan 20, 16 3:51 AM
A sincere thank you for such an informative review I gave the silly game a try and find it rather fascinating. I made it through the first scene and had to leave for house-hold chores but will go back to the second scene later. I think I will use a coupon for this game just to see if I can meet and maybe win the challenge it offers.
I'm sure many won't like the running back and forth, cartoony character and having to really think to progress but some will. Thanks again, I probably wouldn't have given it a chance without your review.

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Jan 20, 16 5:48 AM
Yes, 9otters, what a great review for us!
I am definitely going to try this game, thanks to your wonderful review.
What a blast!

Thanks!
Ci

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Jan 20, 16 5:51 AM
Thank you for that great review!!! I will definitely try this game!!

Euskalduna
Stingray
Stingray
5,991 Posts

[Post New]by Euskalduna on Jan 20, 16 7:00 AM
Thanks, 9otters, excellent review. A little scared, but I'm going to try this. It will be a new experience for me at least, in games. I've never played anything remotely similar to this one.

And, by the way, I'm in that "certain age" that remembers Quest for Fire. That was an awesome movie! No voices, just grunts and signals. In fact, I was wondering if today's game developers "stole" the story from that movie, lol! Excellent idea, if they did!.

Thanks again.

Edited on 01/20/2016 at 7:02:22 AM PST

freebez
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by freebez on Jan 20, 16 8:16 AM
I think I made it as far as the 4th scene during my hour long demo. OMG. This is simultaneously the most fun and most frustrating game I may ever have played!

It's a steep learning curve but the animation and sound effects are fun. The sense of achievement when you finally crack a scene is unparalleled (maybe I should get out more?).

I'm hoping there's a walkthrough out there because if I get this game I think I'm gonna need it! I got stuck on trying to find the 4th raspberry for the singing bushes(?!?).

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Jan 20, 16 9:00 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Fire here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, as do the developers as well as your fellow gamers. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Fire.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM any one of our Moderators.

bfgWaimea

Edited on 01/20/2016 at 9:04:24 AM PST

JhnJcb
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by JhnJcb on Jan 21, 16 7:20 AM
I really wanted to like this game but I couldn't get past the first scene due to the insanity that is the cursor. I tried it at various settings trying to find something that would work for me but all I got was more frustrated.

The whimsicality of the artwork is wonderful, and I can tell that a lot of work has gone into the game and the various puzzles, etc. I enjoy puzzle games a lot and had been looking for a new one to catch my interest - Fire is the first one in several months to do so.

It's just that for me, the cursor issue far outweighed any enjoyment I was receiving from the game. However, my views may be very different from others.

I just think it was a poor move by the developers not to give players an option to have normal cursor usage. When it takes me multiple attempts to just try to get my cursor to move to and then stay in the right area long enough to click, it's not fun - it's just frustrating.

For those who can get past that issue, they will probably love the game.

kiddopal
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by kiddopal on Jan 22, 16 1:38 AM
Thank you 9otters for the excellent review. I too love the games where you have to search everything. But had I not read your review before doing the demo, I wonder if I would have figured out the cursor options. Even with your review I ended up replaying the first scene 3 times before I realized how to progress to the next scene. Thank you for the great reviews. This game is a real challenge and fun.

tekeguy
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by tekeguy on Jan 22, 16 4:24 PM
Sort of off-topic but I just purchased this game and realized the past several games I have purchased don't have reviews or star ratings on the game page. While I purchase nearly every HO collector's edition, I heavily relied on the star reviews to decide whether to purchase games with borderline graphics, stories, themes, non-HO etc (I basically never bother with a demo first). Maybe they are hoping more people take a chance and buy a game but I find myself talking myself out of buying games more often now. Did I miss an update or a setting change? I wasn't sure where I would post this since there doesn't seem to be any general discussion option. Thanks for any help.

Edited on 01/22/2016 at 4:58:02 PM PST

divaprods
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

Maddening

[Post New]by divaprods on Jan 23, 16 11:55 AM
This game is so frustrating but I love it. Had to print out the walkthru tho because it you don't do the things in the right order it won't work. Had to play the scene where you change shapes about 6 times before I got it right. But it is great fun and very different.

Go to: